We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DIY Lifetime Account w/ All Expansions - Build Your Own

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE CONSIDERED SUPERSEDED BY THE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE "LEGACY BUNDLE" UNTIL DECEMBER 16, 2018.

Hi All,

I recently had reason to create a new account (for my child) and I wanted to approximate the experience of my own lifetime account(s) as closely as possible. Here's my experience.

Caveat #1: You'll likely want to do this while LotRO Points (LP, formerly TP) are on sale. During the holidays, "Double" or "Triple" bonus points are often offered.

Caveat #2: You'll also likely want to do this while the LotRO Market web-based cash shop is having a sale on the "Quad Pack" of expansions. Holiday sales are the norm here as well.

Caveat #3: Certain minor VIP/Lifer benefits cannot be replicated: "field" access to Mail, Freep Moors Access, 500LP/month.

STEP 1: CREATE YOUR FREE ACCOUNT.

STEP 2: BUY THE "QUAD PACK" EXPANSIONS AND THE HELM'S DEEP EXPANSION AT THE WEB-BASED CASH SHOP.

Purpose: Obtain Moria, Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, and Riders of Rohan expansions as bundle. Then Helm's Deep expansion.

Note that you are using cash here. $10 for the Quad Pack if on sale (regularly $39.99). $10 for Helm's Deep expansion (regularly $39.99).

You will receive a code for each expansion at check-out (look closely, though they will also be emailed to you). Note that at check-out you are asked to set up a password. This is merely a password for the transaction for recalling its details later (do not give it your LotRO password!). For purely pedantic reasons, I would recommend activating the "Quad Pack" first. Then Helm's Deep. With your codes in-hand, you activate them via the Store within the game. You can even do it before creating any characters if you back out of the "create character" page that it automatically directs you to when it realizes you have no characters on the selected server.

One note: Though the redemption of the "Quad Pack" indicates that "Premium Access" will be granted to your account, in my experience this did not work. Premium access was only activated once I made my first in-game Store purchase (below).

STEP 3: BUY YOUR LP BUNDLE.

If you intend to go all-out and get everything at the outset, you will need ~26,000 LotRO Points. During a "Double Bonus Points" promotion, you can purchase 33,500 LP for $199.99. This seems expensive, but do recall that Lifetime Subscriptions used to sell for $199 (for founders) or $299. Personally, I went with the $59.99 bundle w/ Double Bonus Points for a total of 8,850 LP. Because I don't intend to be at endgame on this account for a very long time so I didn't need to buy the very latest quest packs.

As of January 1, 2017 during a Double Bonus Points Promotion, the USD monetary value of an LP is:

700 LP for $7.99 = $0.0114 per LP
    1950 LP for $19.99 = $0.0103 per LP
    4100 LP for $34.99 = $0.0085 per LP
    ------------"VALUE LINE"-------------------
    8850 LP for $59.99 = $0.0068 per LP
    15750 LP for $99.99 = $0.0063 per LP
    33500 LP for $199.99 = $0.0060 per LP

The dotted line represents where the price of each LP decreases substantially. Purchasing any of the latter three is a much better bargain than the former/upper three. And there is very little difference in value between the three good values.

STEP 4: BUY YOUR QUEST PACKS.

Purpose: Bridge the gap between starter areas and the expansions you just activated. Then fill in "endgame" areas.

NOTE: We are purchasing Quest Packs prior to initiating a one-month VIP subscription because once a subscription is underway, you can't purchase permanent access to quest-packs. So you'll have to wait for the subscription to lapse. And who wants to wait and also have potential disruption to underway quests at the time of VIP expiration?

In the in-game LotRO Store, you can now purchase the quest packs that you need. You need not actually have even created a character yet. Purchase the following.

Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle 3995
    Quest Pack: Lothlorien 695
    Quest Pack: Great River 795
    Quest Pack: Wildermore 795
    Quest Pack: West Gondor 795
    Quest Pack: Central Gondor 795
    Quest Pack: East Gondor 795
    Quest Pack: Old Anorien 795
    Region Pack: Far Anorien 1995
    Quest Pack: March of the King 795

Frugality Note: For the "later" quest packs, you could save a bit of LP by waiting for Quest Packs to go on sale in the LotRO Store. But of course you run the risk of spending your purchased LP on bypassing grinds (etc.) in the meantime. Personally, I'd rather have them and not risk running into glitches or oddness when I stumble into a region for which I haven't yet paid.

STEP 5: ONE MONTH VIP SUBSCRIPTION FOR $14.99.

Purpose: This permanently unlocks (for any characters created and fully logged in while VIP is active) all Trait Bonus/Skill Slots, extra bag storage, swift travel, gold cap removal.

Note #1: We are doing this after we purchase Quest Packs (lest Quest Packs be unavailable for purchase until after VIP expires).

Note #2: You should plan ahead and create all characters you will want on this account while VIP is active. And log them into the game completely. Characters created (or logged in for the first time) after VIP expires will not have the "permanent" benefits of VIP unlocked.

Note #3: If you want to be kind to the community, however, you might consider not taking desirable names only to hold them on unused characters. You can always rename a character once you unpark it. Perhaps set aside some LP for doing so in the future?

IMPORTANT NOTE: You are saving 1625 LP (~$10) in bag space, 1995 LP (~$11) in Trait/Bonus Slots, 395 (~$3) LP for the currency cap, and perhaps several dollars more for all the swift travels you won't have to purchase. And, I can't stress this enough, this is all per character. All USD values are according to a purchase of a recommended "Double Bonus Points" TP bundles in Step 2 above.

If you don't do the above step, you'll have to purchase more bag space, swift travels, and gold cap removal on each character, and your Trait lines will look like this! . . .

. . . yuck. Every LotRO Store button there represents a 95 LP purchase. . . per character.

STEP 6: FILL IN THE GAPS.

Purpose: Purchase the individual upgrades that fill in the "gaps" between the account as it stands now and what a VIP receives as part of a subscription.

Note that you can eschew any of these that you won't use.

20 Slots Shared Vault Storage 995
    20 Slots Shared Wardrobe 1190
    +25 Auction Listings 475
    2 Character Slots 1190
    Guild Access: Cook 295
    Guild Access: Jeweller 295
    Guild Access: Metalsmith 295
    Guild Access: Scholar 295
    Guild Access: Tailor 295
    Guild Access: Weaponsmith 295
    Guild Access: Woodworker 295
    Monster Play: Blackarrow 795
    Monster Play: Defiler 795
    Monster Play: Stalker 795
    Monster Play: Warleader 795
    Monster Play: Weaver 795
    Skirmish: Stand at Amon Sul 195
    Skirmish: Survival: Barrow-Downs 195
    Skirmish: Thievery and Mischief 195
    Skirmish: Defence of the Prancing Pony 195
    Skirmish: Attack at Dawn 195
    Skirmish: Ford of Bruinen 195
    Skirmish: The Icy Crevasse 195
    Skirmish: Storm of Methedras 195
    Instance: Halls of Night 195
    Instance: Inn of the Forsaken 195

CONCLUSIONS

After completing all steps, you should have an account that is the equivalent of a "Lifetime subscription" account (except for issues mentioned in "caveat #3" at top). And if you purchased the largest and best-value LP bundle, you should have as much as 8-10k LP left-over for any future expansions/regions. Or, if you're like me and you don't expect to be at endgame with this account for a while, you could have gone with a smaller LP bundle but have "all access" all the way to the outskirts of Gondor.

Total "real money" USD cost for everything should be $234.98. But keep in mind that there are currently people requesting the return of Lifetime Subscriptions that seem willing to pay $200 or $300.

Personally, I only spent $94.98 and my kid now has the equivalent of a "Lifer Account" well up through Rohan and into Gondor. And we have a few thousand LP left over.

I hope others find this useful! There's a few pitfalls in the process that you can fall into (and waste money) if you don't do things in a certain order!

Best Regards,

H
    Last edited by Hurin; Dec 11 2018 at 11:10 AM.

Reserved for future use.

Did you miss mentioning to buy skirmishes in step 6 or leave them out intentionally?
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    Did you miss mentioning to buy skirmishes in step 6 or leave them out intentionally?
    Most of them come with either the expansions or the quest packs, right?

Halls of Night and Inn of the Forsaken are probably an oversight though.

Will be happy to edit in anything I've missed.

Incidentally, the 26K LP estimate is probably a tad (~2K) high and was arrived at before I took into account the things you don't need to buy after you have a VIP sub for (only) a month.

On another note: Personally I hate the idea of grinding out TP to pay for all of this. But perhaps someone can link to or create a companion post about how one could go about grinding out the TP to pay for all of this (if that's even possible, there's only so many deeds in the game).

I actually did more or less the same thing you did in this guide and I'm pretty sure I had to buy skirms like Attack at Dawn, Storm on Methedras, Icey Crevace, Defence of the Prancing Pony separately with TP. They don't stay unlocked after VIP expires and they are not part of any pack. Also Barrow Downs Survival can be bought for LP now.

Grinding LP for all of this would be a very long process. It is really really really time-wasting if you can make money instead and pay for the content.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    I actually did more or less the same thing you did in this guide and I'm pretty sure I had to buy skirms like Attack at Dawn, Storm on Methedras, Icey Crevace, Defence of the Prancing Pony separately with TP. They don't stay unlocked after VIP expires and they are not part of any pack. Also Barrow Downs Survival can be bought for LP now.

Grinding LP for all of this would be a very long process. It is really really really time-wasting if you can make money instead and pay for the content.
    Thanks, as you were writing this I was off confirming that you are indeed correct. I have added them. And stand humbly corrected.

--H

Also added Inn of the Forsaken and Halls of Night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    On another note: Personally I hate the idea of grinding out TP to pay for all of this. But perhaps someone can link to or create a companion post about how one could go about grinding out the TP to pay for all of this (if that's even possible, there's only so many deeds in the game).
    I have a totally free account (in addition to my 2 VIPs) that I am doing the grind for TP on. I currently have everything up to and including moria unlocked, equivalent of 6 x 15 slot bags, 5 AH slots, All traits unlocked on 2 characters,3 extra character slots, gold cap removal, riding and 20 slots of shared storage. It IS a grind.

Basically the best way I have found is to do absolutely every deed on 4 of my 5 characters. Then with the 5th slot I roll a mini and run it through Erid Luin doing all deeds. Mail any cash or mats worth keeping to my other toons and delete it. Lather, rinse and repeat. Each repeat makes about 150 LP. I do erid luin since I can finish that zone faster than Shire or Bree. Buy things only when on sale.

By focusing on getting everything on only one or 2 characters the others support them with the TP they earn. The single best investment is extra character slots as each one purchased is 1 extra slot x 10 servers = a ton of TP if you are sick of Erid Luin and want to move on to other zones.

There are a couple of annoyances you cannot get rid of if you remain F2P. The limit on how often you can send mail get really annoying when sending loot to your other characters (ie sending more than 1 mail quickly). The chat limit can make conversations stilted. Swift travel basically does not exist for you since buying the temporary items in the store costs far too much LP.

In short it can be done if you are persistent and don't mind grinding but it is not easy. It is a personal challenge to me which is why I am doing it.

EDIT: Hurin I suggest you be prepared to pick up riding for your kids account for the other toons that will not hit 20 by the time the 1 month VIP you got runs out. When I went that route prior to deciding on permanent VIP on one of my accounts I did like you suggested and rolled all my toons and logged them each in during the 1 month of VIP. When I hit 20 though (after VIP ended) there was no free riding access that went away with the VIP unless you had already claimed it prior to VIP ending. That was several years ago so maybe it has changed, I just wanted to give you a heads up in case.
    Last edited by Mirarian; Jan 01 2017 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirarian View Post
    EDIT: Hurin I suggest you be prepared to pick up riding for your kids account for the other toons that will not hit 20 by the time the 1 month VIP you got runs out. When I went that route prior to deciding on permanent VIP on one of my accounts I did like you suggested and rolled all my toons and logged them each in during the 1 month of VIP. When I hit 20 though (after VIP ended) there was no free riding access that went away with the VIP unless you had already claimed it prior to VIP ending. That was several years ago so maybe it has changed, I just wanted to give you a heads up in case.
    Its correct, you need to play the level 20 quest for the riding skill previous to VIP run out, if not the quest is not available. BTW as VIP you can to purchase a "slow" horse that dont need the riding skill (no sure what happen with the slow horse when you VIPs end, i think its permanent, but maybe not).

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Are the standard riding quests still there at lvl 35 though? If that's the case, I won't mind doing it the old way.

Are the standard riding quests still there at lvl 35 though? If that's the case, I won't mind doing it the old way.
    I honestly don't know. I have never done it at 35. I get tired of hoofing it on foot long before then. Don't think I knew there were riding quests at 35.

EDIT: Hurin according to the Wiki these are the only ways to get riding and they say VIP can get it at level 8.

Free players must first purchase the riding skill from the LOTRO Store, currently for 95 LOTRO Point (TP), but can do so at any level after completing the Introduction.

VIP players can acquire the riding skill by completing the quest, Proving Your Quality, from Éogar, son of Hadorgar, Horse-master, at the Hengstacer Farm in northern Bree-fields [22.3S, 52.3W] (the small black horse near the top of the large Map of Bree-Land) at level 8 without expending any Turbine Points or from the store after completing the Introduction by expending LOTRO Points (TP).

In the past, players gained access to their first horse or pony only at level 20 - the Bree-land Starter Steed. This was a slower version of a normal mount and has less health, but it got you saddled up sooner in the game (The riding quest was then only available at level 35). The cost of this mount was 200 silver and looked the same as the Founder's Bree-horse. Founders could start riding their mounts at level 15. This mount is now also included in the Loot Bag sold at the LOTRO Store and available at level 15.

FOr reference see https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mounts
    Last edited by Mirarian; Jan 01 2017 at 10:43 PM.

Really great list. I can tell a lot of thought went into this. I'm guessing the only things missing from a normal lifetime account would be mobile mail service and the 500 monthly TP stipend?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Good post Hurin. It's very detailed and well done.

Here's a quick and dirty list I made during the holidays to see if buying the $200 pack would unlock the entire game (or enough that I could wait a bit). This is with my existing account that is nearly 10 years old. I posted this in TSK's thread about adding lifetime subs again.

region - far anorien 1995
    quest packs 6,260
    skirmishes 780
    instances 390
    monster play 3,975
    crafting guilds 14,455
    cosmetic and LI slots 5,000
    other stuff ~10,000

That is 42,855.

I didn't itemize the last two lines that add up to 15k. I did round a bit and pad about 2500 points to have for future use. The last 10k line is a lot of the little nickle and dime stuff you mentioned plus unlocking the rest of shared storage and wardrobe. I based this on unlocking stuff for my favorite characters, not the entire stable.

I like your list and unlocking a lot for very cheap. I think it's better to sub for 3 months instead of 1. It is another $15 but you net 3 months of VIP and 1500 TP for that. It's a lot of time to work through creating and unlocking alts which should be done before VIP expires or they won't get the unlock benefits of VIP until you sub again. 1500LP is about $20 so you're getting 3 months of VIP for $10 essentially when you break down paying for those things separately.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

Buying the Journeyman riding kit is worth the price in the long term. It's an account based unlock and I wait for something to go on sale before I buy it, or I have in the past. It made the TP stretch a lot farther.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    Good post Hurin. It's very detailed and well done.
    Thanks! Actually had fun doing it. Setting up an account like this brought back lots of fond memories.

Almost makes me want to be all "Go! Go! LotRO!" again. . . as long as I stay away from endgame. Thinking of buying some Double Point packs for my Lifer accounts as I write this. Just need to decide if it constitutes too much of an endorsement of the game's current state at endgame. I'll stop rambling on about this though since it's probably not interesting to anyone. It's just that it's hard to lobby against so much of what I consider the ill effect of the F2P model. . . and then behave in a way that might be misinterpreted (in the aggregate) as endorsing it.

I like your list and unlocking a lot for very cheap. I think it's better to sub for 3 months instead of 1. It is another $15 but you net 3 months of VIP and 1500 TP for that. It's a lot of time to work through creating and unlocking alts which should be done before VIP expires or they won't get the unlock benefits of VIP until you sub again. 1500LP is about $20 so you're getting 3 months of VIP for $10 essentially when you break down paying for those things separately.
    Heh, sorry to nit-pick, but according to the "exchange rate" for LP to USD when you buy the better value Double Point Bundles, 1500LP is only worth about $8.95.

But, your point is taken about having more time to get things sorted out and get your alts created and perhaps mounted on horsies.

Thanks for the reply!

--H

$20 is normally 1250 + 350 = 1600. Right now with double bonus it's 1950. With the double point sale you can get 1400 points for $16 (2 x 700 @ $8). So I'm giving a bit of padding to the LP benefit of the 3 month sub, but only by a couple dollars.

I think another $60 pack will do until I sub again. I don't need to unlock everything on that list at once. That is just my very rough guess at what I think I would want.

Thanks again. The thread helped me sort out and prioritize a few things.

I just have to reply to this.

I pretty much did this as I started playing shortly after f2p started.

I am what was often called premium plus I.e. I had VIP to unlock the basics for my toons for 3 months and am premium since.
    I bought ROI with money, won ROR luckily with Sapience's Twitter trivia, Moria and HD I bought the full expansion with LP.

I updated my spreadsheet the other day and am currently at around 44k LP earned by playing. I spent over 42k, currently sitting at around 9.5k. the difference comes from VIP, bought expansions and other LP winnings like the goodie bag, etc...

I never did the create a char, do deeds, delete, rinse and repeat game. I want to do deeds to get traits points and virtues.

I did play the game on three servers up to now, have only one server with current endgame toons though.

Important for me was: Go VIP for 3 months once it got annoying which was roughly 3-4 months after I started and when I then also got Moria with LP using also an LP purchase at that time. This came because the expansion was on sale.
    Then important was to have as many char slots as I wanted to be able to enjoy the unlocks on all of them.
    I made toons on several servers just in case I want to play them there later.

Somewhere during late ROI I switched servers. Used my toons I created over a year ago to restart.
    Had all the unlocks and was really glad for that.

Then the free 2 weeks of VIP one Christmas came around, used that to create more chars with unlocks on that main server.

I usually only buy from the store when there is a sale, this usually makes me late for the latest new content, e.g. I got far anorien when it went on sale, same with north ithilien. This makes me not be able to enjoy any zero day exploits like there used to be many of. :P

I have 150 shared storage, 150 wardrobe.
    I have all the skirmishes and instances. I have no monster player toon although if I wanted I could easily get them.
    I have of course the premium wallet which is a must have.
    I also got a free code for the starter pack, I have the beorning but no beorning with VIP unlocks so I do not really play them.
    I hate char only unlocks like milestones e.g. or to pay for char advancement with LP be it stat tomes, emp scrolls or solvents. So I usually do not buy that stuff at all. Same with cosmetics.

Overall it is doable to have nice things in the game but it takes planning, some money for VIP and eventually the expansions, and most of all time and patience.
    Or you could just buy a ton of LPs.
    But VIP could currently only give me the possibility to properly play a beorning. The other things I am not interested in or already have.

May I give you one small tiny bit of advice that I learnt the hard way. Make absolutely sure that there is no credit card or paypal link open on this account for your child. My son played LOTRO aged 11yrs (he is now 15yrs) and in the space of 15 days managed to purchase the equivalent of £400 in turbine points!! This was because I had purchased something and then left the credit card active. We all think our kid won't do it...but it takes a lot of self control to not sneakily buy points for that shiny new horse...more so when it aint your money!

I honestly don't know. I have never done it at 35. I get tired of hoofing it on foot long before then. Don't think I knew there were riding quests at 35.

EDIT: Hurin according to the Wiki these are the only ways to get riding and they say VIP can get it at level 8.

Free players must first purchase the riding skill from the LOTRO Store, currently for 95 LOTRO Point (TP), but can do so at any level after completing the Introduction.

VIP players can acquire the riding skill by completing the quest, Proving Your Quality, from Éogar, son of Hadorgar, Horse-master, at the Hengstacer Farm in northern Bree-fields [22.3S, 52.3W] (the small black horse near the top of the large Map of Bree-Land) at level 8 without expending any Turbine Points or from the store after completing the Introduction by expending LOTRO Points (TP).

In the past, players gained access to their first horse or pony only at level 20 - the Bree-land Starter Steed. This was a slower version of a normal mount and has less health, but it got you saddled up sooner in the game (The riding quest was then only available at level 35). The cost of this mount was 200 silver and looked the same as the Founder's Bree-horse. Founders could start riding their mounts at level 15. This mount is now also included in the Loot Bag sold at the LOTRO Store and available at level 15.

FOr reference see https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mounts
    In my own experience you can to purchase the slow horse just after the intro (level 5/6, or around it), but level no matter, you only need go out the intro and to get the novice skill.

An the riding skill quest is for level 20, its not possible to play it previously to level 20 (not played it in the last couple of years because i purchased in my main account the journeyman riding package and i dont need now play the quest for the riding skill in an alt).

Quote Originally Posted by Olgomil View Post
    In my own experience you can to purchase the slow horse just after the intro (level 5/6, or around it), but level no matter, you only need go out the intro and to get the novice skill.

An the riding skill quest is for level 20, its not possible to play it previously to level 20 (not played it in the last couple of years because i purchased in my main account the journeyman riding package and i dont need now play the quest for the riding skill in an alt).

Then the wiki is wrong as that info was a cut and paste.

A question I have is how much TP/LP can you expect to earn while getting your virtues to rank 19 and completing content to get all the trait points? I would expect these will be completed eventually and can be discounted from the amount you need to buy. If you play more than one character you can multiply that number per character. Personally I would leave out the cosmetic and other "fluff" items, but everyone plays differently.

For instance, if this is a second account you may be able to discount the wardrobe, auction, all but one guild, and all monster play for a total of 7410 TP/LP.
    Last edited by mattspencer; Jan 02 2017 at 03:22 PM.

If one really wants to grind out points, immediately after leaving the introduction, go to Ered Luin and play through both versions of the Epilogue, enough quests to get the quest deeds, do the 5 slayers and do the exploration deeds including Scouting the Dourhands and Explorer of Rath Teraig. Getting the zone meta, the first tier Thorin's Hall reputation deed and one racial deed should net you 145 points. That takes about 6 hours of game time.

While I do not like point farming, I did make scouts for the consolidation and had lots of characters. I am a play them if I make them person, so I held my nose about the 'farming' aspect. Once all of these are culled, I do not plan on doing that again unless finances dictate otherwise. I prefer to sub or buy point packs as finances allow.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Nice guide, Hurin. A couple years ago, I did a similar exercise for a friend who had just started playing and we were surprised at how close he was able to get to my Lifetime account -- and for approximately the same price that I paid for the real deal. A few tips I gave him, which I think are also applicable here to anyone considering this route:

1. Read through the wiki article on account types (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types) and take note of what features a VIP account includes... and what it DOESN'T include.

2. Read through the wiki article on the LOTRO Store (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store) and come up with a shopping list of the content and features you want to unlock BEFORE you buy any points. DON'T buy points first, then go into the Store and decide what you're going to spend them on. (Kind of like how you should never go to the grocery store without a shopping list when you're hungry.)

3. Once you buy your points, it's tempting to go charging into the store screaming "Unlock ALL the things!!!" A wiser approach is to only buy content and features when they're on sale or when you need them, whichever comes first. As Hurin mentioned: if you're disciplined enough to hold on to your points without frittering them away on perks and convenience items, put off buying the later quest packs and they'll hopefully go on sale before you get to them.

4. "Content is King." There are a few exceptions to this, but quest packs are generally going to give the best return on investment. And each quest pack will also unlock a bunch of deeds, so you can earn back some of the points you've spent -- further increasing their value.

5. Don't immediately jump to buy something that you may not ever use, just because "all the VIP/Lifers have it". For example, immediately dropping nearly 4,000 LP to unlock all the PvMP monster classes might not make sense if you have little interest in PvMP. Or if you're only planning to play a couple characters, don't spend over 2,000 LP unlocking all the crafting guilds (since you can only have one guild per character) -- only unlock the guilds your characters will need.

6. Buying one-month of VIP time is a very smart purchase, since it unlocks a lot of things on all your current characters. But hold off on that purchase at least until you have a couple characters at level 20+. You really don't need any of the VIP benefits before then. So take your time trying out various races and classes, build up a stable of characters you enjoy, then pull the trigger on your VIP time when you're ready to "lock them in".

7. Remember that you're going to be earning LOTRO points through deeds, so don't feel like you need to buy points to unlock everything you want immediately. As a very rough estimate, you can usually earn at least 100 LP per zone, per character, just from completing the easy quest, slayer and exploration deeds. A very detailed guide can be found here: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Acqu...nts_from_Deeds

8. Don't get obsessed with grinding LOTRO points. Unless you find it enjoyable, that's a quick way to burn out on the game. LOTRO Points should be a byproduct of playing the game. I wouldn't recommend making it your focus for playing the game.

9. And finally: if you're to go down this road, take the time to enjoy the journey. I knew another player who bought $200 in LP to try to unlock "everything" a Lifetime account had... and then he proceeded to race his characters through the game, missing a ton of deeds, dropping quest lines when he out leveled them, and even skipping over entire zones completely. His reason: he wanted to get to end-game quickly. Well, okay... but that completely flies in the face of going through this whole exercise. There's nothing wrong with wanting to jump into end-game quickly, but if that's your goal -- this isn't the way to do it. This is about preparing to run a marathon, and ensuring every mile is smooth and enjoyable.

Then the wiki is wrong as that info was a cut and paste.
    Probably wiki info about this topic is outdated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast