We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb New Windows 10 Laptop will not launch Lotro after pushing play button

I just got a new MSI GTX960M Gaming Laptop and was surprised when it wouldn't play lotro. I spent a basically a day trying all the fixes I found online and finally started looking at DirectX. It was running Directx 12. Baiscally it looks like some of the files that Lotro uses are not automatically included with Directx 12 so you have to download the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer". Below is the page where you can find the link. It's the official microsoft page so no worries.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ton)(Directx11)

After I installed this and launched the game and I said yes to using Directx 10/11. I hope this post will help anyone that buys a new computer that doesn't have these files already installed.

Tryxtyr on Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by trickstyr View Post
    I just got a new MSI GTX960M Gaming Laptop and was surprised when it wouldn't play lotro. I spent a basically a day trying all the fixes I found online and finally started looking at DirectX. It was running Directx 12. Baiscally it looks like some of the files that Lotro uses are not automatically included with Directx 12 so you have to download the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer". Below is the page where you can find the link. It's the official microsoft page so no worries.

After I installed this and launched the game and I said yes to using Directx 10/11. I hope this post will help anyone that buys a new computer that doesn't have these files already installed.

Tryxtyr on Evernight
    Thanks Tryxtyr, I knew I was missing something simple, but didn't think of running the DirectX web installer to add back the "missing" components. Even though I had tacked on Dx 9.0c among other things, this was the fix I needed. Figures I had to replace my SSD on Sunday before the update, so got the double whammy of downloads.

Thanks Trickstyr, you've just saved my sanity - I couldn't for the life of me understand what was stopping the game from playing, as there was nothing in the launcher itself to indicate that there was a problem. Nice one

THANK YOU for posting this. Just got a new machine two days ago and this exact thing happened to me. I went through looking at potentially missing some needed C++ version, firewall issues, and was just starting to wonder about DirectX when I came across this. This should be stickied!

Thanks much,
    McF

Tryxtyr on Evernight

Another thank you.

I just bought a new Windows 10 PC and did a clean install of LOTRO. Can confirm that the game as installed will not run. The Launcher behaves normally, but after selecting a subscription and a server, and clicking "Play", the game client never starts.

Running the DirectX web installer linked in the first post solves the problem.

This seems like something they would want to fix ASAP...

I am having same problem. I have played this game for a while with NP. Now all of a sudden the game doesn't load. I have DX 12 installed. I tried to install DX installer but got error message "PLease refer to DXError.login your windows folder" I figured that is because I am upto date on DX

Try resetting your LOTRO graphics settings from the launcher menu. (down arrow / options / repair)
    If it gets you back in the game then you can go into the games settings and put your preferred settings back in place.

Good luck
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Maybe someone can help me a returning lifetime member before support helps me. I can't seem to log into the game, after i put in my username and password on the launcher i get failure to launch client error logging in! unable to write... any ideas what could be causing this... it's been 5 days since i replied to the auto email sent out from support and nothing

Same issue here, that Directx web installer won't help. It does even want to complete installation because it determined I have newest version. I m back to zero again.

Basically when I hit play , nothing happens, no error message, no black screen, nada.
    Wisdom is not communicable. The wisdom which a wise Edhel tries to communicate always sounds foolish.

directx_Jun2010_redist

Download this version , it will work any OP even Windows 10 64 bit.

Reinstall LOTRO and restart your PC.

Problem solved.
    Wisdom is not communicable. The wisdom which a wise Edhel tries to communicate always sounds foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninky View Post
    directx_Jun2010_redist

Download this version , it will work any OP even Windows 10 64 bit.

Reinstall LOTRO and restart your PC.

Problem solved.
    So, you need to install the directx_Jun2010_redist first, then install the game?
    I am getting my internet hooked up on Friday and I have a brand new desktop computer, I don't want to spend the hours downloading the game and then have to re-download it a second time after installing the directx.

It worked!

OK, so I did this and the second install gives you the option of just repairing so it doesn't take near as long as a normal install. Only took about 10 minutes compared to over an hour for the full install.
    Standing Stone should add the directx to the original download since windows 10 is not using it any more.

Thanks!

Tryxtyr on Evernight
    Hi Tryxtyr,

Thanks you so much for that! I was going crazy trying to solve this. I don't understand why Standing Stone hasn't included this in the standard installation yet. In addition to installing the DirectX End-User Runtime Web installer, I had to reset the Graphics Settings in the Options menu of the launcher. (The game ran, but the mouse wouldn't hover completely to the right hand and bottom side of the screen.) After that I could change the graphics settings within the game and everything was fine!

Happy gaming!
    Justinath on Evernight