We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Move the roving threat, Tarlug, to another location

I was finishing deeds in Annuminas when I came across the roving threat named Tarlug...in an extremely cramped space among quite a few regular mobs in a questing area (he's right next to a quest objective, if I recall quests correctly). He can be avoided by those who are questing/deeding, at least assuming roving threats don't have higher aggro on characters way under their level (I was on a 94), but it's not ideal.

My suggestion is to move Tarlug, who walks around this cramped space with his band of merry Angmarim, to where the Titan of Tyl Annun, who has a nice empty space, is. The Titan could be moved forward closer to the Ost Elendil entrance, or somewhere else completely, but it really doesn't make sense to have Tarlug where he is (and where he gets tripped up on scenery, sometimes).
    R.I.P. Big E

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    I was finishing deeds in Annuminas when I came across the roving threat named Tarlug...in an extremely cramped space among quite a few regular mobs in a questing area (he's right next to a quest objective, if I recall quests correctly). He can be avoided by those who are questing/deeding, at least assuming roving threats don't have higher aggro on characters way under their level (I was on a 94), but it's not ideal.

My suggestion is to move Tarlug, who walks around this cramped space with his band of merry Angmarim, to where the Titan of Tyl Annun, who has a nice empty space, is. The Titan could be moved forward closer to the Ost Elendil entrance, or somewhere else completely, but it really doesn't make sense to have Tarlug where he is (and where he gets tripped up on scenery, sometimes).
    I'm assuming you mean the roving threat spawn location at [16.6S, 69.7W]? Cause that's where my lowbie got killed the other day by Sunath.

Every day Tarlug (and the others) picks one of the 10 possible spawn locations, so it would help to provide the problematic location. Easiest solution would be to remove this location and reduce it to 9 possibilities.

What I'd like is a Distant Early Warning System that tells me in
    big red letters, "Roving Threat at X.x N, Y.y W, 50 meters distant,"
    so I can get the heck out of the way.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Middle Earth should not be dumbed down anymore than it already is. Compartmentalizing everything into neat boxes of like-leveled monsters may be the norm in gaming, but certainly could be argued as uninteresting and uninnovative. The group I regularly explore with, ran into that monster the other day (we are at level 45) and it makes for interesting role play. Why, may I ask, would anyone want to "deed" in Annuminas at level 94 anyway? Sounds incredibly unchallenging.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Middle Earth should not be dumbed down anymore than it already is. Compartmentalizing everything into neat boxes of like-leveled monsters may be the norm in gaming, but certainly could be argued as uninteresting and uninnovative. The group I regularly explore with, ran into that monster the other day (we are at level 45) and it makes for interesting role play. Why, may I ask, would anyone want to "deed" in Annuminas at level 94 anyway? Sounds incredibly unchallenging.

The problem with this particular Roving Threat location is that it is very close to a quest objective - for a level 38 quest. That particular quest is actually a bit tricky to do solo on-level even without the RT, due to the sheer number of other mobs nearby. Add the RT and that quest becomes very hard unless you know exactly what path to take - much harder than it was ever designed to be.

Just about every other Roving Threat is in a location were it can fairly easily be avoided while doing on-level quests. This one is an exception.

Why, may I ask, would anyone want to "deed" in Annuminas at level 94 anyway? Sounds incredibly unchallenging.
    All people that do not follow the completionist playstyle of doing everything onlevel with stone of the tortoise might be in need of virtues and TP.
    In addition the main factor that changes between onlevel and outleveled deeding is in many cases time, not challenge.

^ and to activate it you need to step on its toes...standing like 10m away is totally safe with them.

I kinda like it the way it is. I think the game has gotten way too easy and I think it's refreshing to have something like that in the way so you have to tread softly around.

Far too often I find myself in zombie mode in the lower areas. I like having to wake up every once in a while.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

. Why, may I ask, would anyone want to "deed" in Annuminas at level 94 anyway? Sounds incredibly unchallenging.
    Because people would rather 1 shot stuff and do it in ten minutes than do it on level. Its called ezmoding tp or virtues (if they are actually doing it for the virtues)

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I kinda like it the way it is. I think the game has gotten way too easy and I think it's refreshing to have something like that in the way so you have to tread softly around.

Far too often I find myself in zombie mode in the lower areas. I like having to wake up every once in a while.
    This 100% this. They do not have a huge aggro range for on level toons (like the one in Annuminas) and you basically have to walk within 5-10m of it to aggro or shot it at range. The quest may be a bit harder of he is there but it is still doable. What I got from the OP is "I was in Annuminas deeding with a overlevel toon that this thing would aggro onto and I had to stop deeding to run from it please move it so I can get my deeds done quicker"
    I saw the light fade from the sky
    On the wind I heard a sigh
    As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers
    I will say this last goodbye

A better idea would be to create a "Big Game Hunt" vendor that would send those interested (for a price of course) to an instance full of RTs. The annoying RTs could then all be removed from the normal parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzin View Post
    A better idea would be to create a "Big Game Hunt" vendor that would send those interested (for a price of course) to an instance full of RTs. The annoying RTs could then all be removed from the normal parts of the world.
    I like them in the normal parts of the world. It adds flavor. I have yet to have a lowbie molested by a roving threat.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I think the concept of Roving Threats is interesting, but I don't like how it was executed. Spending an hour looking for a handful of mobs is not enjoyable at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I like them in the normal parts of the world. It adds flavor. I have yet to have a lowbie molested by a roving threat.
    Exactly. Why people approach them so close when so under level baffles me. I see them all the time while leveling and deeding and have yet to have 1 attack me, and if by chance they do, you can easilly outrun it

I had a near miss with this one last week, came around a rock with mobs in pursuit and ran into his aggro zone; luckily I just about managed to keep going (L50) before he killed me, or slowed me enough for the mobs to catch. It was touch and go though.

I remember running smack into an RT in the Misty mountains a few months ago, narrow gully and a blizzard, then BAM!!!! Deader, stunned and killed before I could even react and get out of the way.

what is really fun is while questing (happened to me the other day in Foro) and come across a group of 105 hunting them. I stuck around for 1 kill and even though I got no xp a random drop GG brand was awarded to my level 52 lololol

I agree with the OP, it needs to be moved. This particular location has several groups of signature mobs that must be engaged 3 or 4 at a time without using AOE. And then there is Orchalwe, your NPC companion for this quest, who will simply charge the level 100 Roving Threat. There's a good reason why games don't typically mix high-level and low-level content. If Standing Stone Games wants the higher level players to have a reason to revisit lower-level zones, they should implement a mentoring system (where you can actually set your level to something lower) as was done in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Drockarius View Post
    There's a good reason why games don't typically mix high-level and low-level content.
    Although I agree with this specific issue, the reason is not good. There are enough places all across the game that could contain this type of content without interfering with the low level content there. It is just that this specific location was chosen in a wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    ^ and to activate it you need to step on its toes...standing like 10m away is totally safe with them.
    People always say this, but leveling up a new character and walking around in the Misty Mountains, I got instakilled by one that I'd seen and avoided by giving it a wide berth -- wider than I had to give ordinary on-level mobs in the same region -- and it still aggroed from a distance and ran up to me to kill me. I don't think the aggro range works as reliably as they claim.

Now fortunately for me this wasn't a problem since I wasn't right on top of a hard-to-reach quest objective or anything. Defeat has been toned down a lot. But it does speak to the OP's comment, when they are near quest objectives, the "they have a very short aggro range" thing is not really the answer people think it is, since it's not consistently true.

The RT in this area is problematic because he uses the stairs going to the quest objective and the area is filled with signature mobs. Little to no space to navigate in the first place and then you need to be away from his path dealing with groups of mobs. Annuminas as a whole is not a good place for this kind of mob due to tight areas throughout the zone.

Some of these mobs might even be elite, not sure right now.

Removing a level 100 nemesis roving threat, from a level 45 questing spot is not dumbing the game down. It's common sense.
    Why would a level 95 (or insert level 100 or level 105) be running around in Annuminus doing a deed indeed? Probably, because the game devs stuck level 100 RT's there for an RT deed

This one has come up on the forums a few times. They should move it away from the level 45 quest objective. Simple. It doesn't make it any harder for level capped players by it being there, and it won't make it any easier if they move it.
    Level 45 players can't kill it, they can't even hit it. So all they get out of it is to stand at a distance and admire it for a few minutes before calling a higher level player to come leroy it out of their way or kill it for them. Real challenge there!
    Last edited by Arnenna; Jun 19 2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Was this one of those old Rare Nemisis that used to drop shards? I don't even know if they still exist or if the shards are necessary for anything anymore.

Cool

Eliminate danger = eliminate fun.

I have one character at Level Cap and about 15 others from L20 to L95.

The only time the capped character realizes any life-threatening danger is when he attempts to solo 3-man, 6-man or raid encounters. And the occasional Roving Threat.

The others can still get surprised and need to "run away" and this keeps the blood running.

If its not dangerous then its not fun.

And this is not my opinion. Its just the #$@% facts.
    ........................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Eliminate danger = eliminate fun.

I have one character at Level Cap and about 15 others from L20 to L95.

The only time the capped character realizes any life-threatening danger is when he attempts to solo 3-man, 6-man or raid encounters. And the occasional Roving Threat.

The others can still get surprised and need to "run away" and this keeps the blood running.

If its not dangerous then its not fun.

And this is not my opinion. Its just the #$@% facts.
    The RT is still available and is no less dangerous to the level cap players if it's 40 mts away from where the level 45 quest items is, on the middle deck in that area. Where it is now, the level 45 questers can run away from it sure, but then, they have to wait until another day to pick up their quest item, and that's only if the RT doesn't decide to spawn there again the next day or any number of days after that. The kind of thrill you're talking about would be if they have to step very very carefully around it in some way, to get to their objective. I agree with you, dangerous is fun - as long as you can get around it with some tactics. With this particular spawn point - that's not possible as it's standing right on the quest objective. There is nothing thrilling or exciting in having to dump the objective or call in some big guns to remove the obstacle in order for a player to get to it. That there is another fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    Was this one of those old Rare Nemisis that used to drop shards? I don't even know if they still exist or if the shards are necessary for anything anymore.
    Those are shard droppers and they still exist throughout Middle Earth. The difference between those and the Roving threats is the shard droppers are the same level as their environment and they are usually Elites or Signatures, that can be soloed. For example, a shard dropper in Evendim would be the level of Evendim mobs and the player questing Evendim. Roving threats are all level 100 group content and for most part they are strategically placed in areas where low level questers have to pass them by, but not so close that they come into agro range. This one particular spawn point in Annuminas however, is standing right on top of a level 45 quest objective. They exist to take high level players back into the low level areas, where they have to seek out the Roving threat and eliminate it. It could be anywhere in Evendim to fulfill that objective, without causing level 45 players to abandon a quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    The RT is still available and is no less dangerous to the level cap players if it's 40 mts away from where the level 45 quest items is, on the middle deck in that area. Where it is now, the level 45 questers can run away from it sure, but then, they have to wait until another day to pick up their quest item, and that's only if the RT doesn't decide to spawn there again the next day or any number of days after that. The kind of thrill you're talking about would be if they have to step very very carefully around it in some way, to get to their objective. I agree with you, dangerous is fun - as long as you can get around it with some tactics. With this particular spawn point - that's not possible as it's standing right on the quest objective. There is nothing thrilling or exciting in having to dump the objective or call in some big guns to remove the obstacle in order for a player to get to it. That there is another fact.
    I see. And I agree with your logic.
    ........................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast