We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best Crafting path for Captains?

Greetings,
    I've played DDO a lot and decided to jump into LOTRO after the awesome sales event last weekend. My first character is a Captain, and I don't see any specific advice posts toward the best Crafting paths for that class.

I would assume that the ability to craft medium armor matters, since that is the default type armor that Captain is built with. I would also assume crafting up your own Heralds matter as well.

Which are the best crafting paths for Captains?

it doesnt really matter which crafting you use as long as you do one.
    the only thing thats bond are crafted relics which are the same for each profession. you get them via guild recipes.
    everything else can be traded, which makes the most common path for the first character the explorer because there you can gather all ressources.
    usually, if you need anything crafted, you can ask in /world or kinship and get it quite fast if you provide ressources and/or a little bit of gold.

btw: captains usually wear heavy armour. but armour type doesnt really matter much, heavier armour just gives more armour value, which is only a small part of mitigations at higher levels.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Yes, Captains wear heavy armor (heavy armor users can wear any armor, but at higher levels heavy armors give Might which you are interested in).

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear_Elvis View Post
    As said above, it does not matter that much for single toon. Whenever you have your alt family, then you are more interested about completing some craftings. My toons are (in order of creation): Champion/Scholar, Minstrel/Tinker, Warden/Explorer, Hunter/Weaponsmith, Loremaster/Woodworker. The things you might like to consider are:

1) Explorer: Explorer gathers materials and makes medium armors. It is very useful for your toon family at early point, but not necessarily for the first one (you gather materials, but you don't have anyone to use them). Personally I think that Hunter or Warden makes best Explorer because of amazing traveling skills, allowing them to go to farm materials anywhere in Middle Earth in few seconds.

2) Weaponsmith, Tinker: All classes use jewelry. Close all classes use weapons (mainhand and/or offhand). So both Tinker and Weaponsmith is very good addition to your toon family. The most important thing in (guilded) Weaponsmith is that it makes weapon Legendary Items, and close all classes have one.

It is worth to note, that Tinker can also cook, so s/he will not only provide jewelry to your toon family, but also (non-guilded) food. But before you can really use it, you need to have farmer (either Scholar, Woodworker or Yeoman).

3) Scholar: Scholar makes all-around potions, scrolls and such. Eventually, you will want one in your toon family. Scholar has weaponsmithing, but without Prospector it is not self-supporting.

4) Metalsmith, Woodworker: These make heavy armors and "wooden" weapons, respectively.

5) Yeoman: Yeoman is probably the last one to roll to your toon family. Although it can be useful, you most probably find other crafting to be slightly more important before making a guilded, self-supporting cook.

I really can't pick anything from these for your Captain, although I could think that you would like to roll Metalsmith, Weaponsmith, Tinker or Scholar first. Choosing profession comes more relevant when having several toons, and you are planning what kind of synergy you can achieve.
    Laurelin freeps: Tamien (R8 Warden) - Tanie (R9 Champion) - Tamieth (Hunter) - Tamia (Minstrel) - Challenger of Gothmog
    Laurelin extras: Tamyah (Baby Captain) - Netta (Baby Lore-master) - Yasmint (Cook)
    Laurelin creeps: Tamratz (R9 Warg) - Tambash (R8 Blackarrow)

Crafting is all about essences, so the best option should be Yeoman (Might - Morale).

Greetings OP,

The absolute best Crafting Vocation for ANY newbie, first character is Tinker.

I see a lot of unnecessary assumptions in this thread already.

The reasoning behind Tinker is quite simple, it's Jeweller can provide crafted equipment filling up 7 out of 20 slots for ANY character - no other Vocation is capable of doing so on it's own. Besides, the left-over materials from Prospector are always on demand if you want to earn easy money.

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Nogen View Post
    Greetings OP,

The reasoning behind Tinker is quite simple, it's Jeweller can provide crafted equipment filling up 7 out of 20 slots for ANY character - no other Vocation is capable of doing so on it's own. Besides, the left-over materials from Prospector are always on demand if you want to earn easy money.

You're welcome
    tailor creates items for 7 slots, too (at least for 7 of 10 classes)
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Uminel View Post
    Crafting is all about essences, so the best option should be Yeoman (Might - Morale).
    No, but Tinker. Unlike Yeoman, Tinker as Cook & Jeweller can make more useful things.
    Laurelin freeps: Tamien (R8 Warden) - Tanie (R9 Champion) - Tamieth (Hunter) - Tamia (Minstrel) - Challenger of Gothmog
    Laurelin extras: Tamyah (Baby Captain) - Netta (Baby Lore-master) - Yasmint (Cook)

Greetings,
    I've played DDO a lot and decided to jump into LOTRO after the awesome sales event last weekend. My first character is a Captain, and I don't see any specific advice posts toward the best Crafting paths for that class.

I would assume that the ability to craft medium armor matters, since that is the default type armor that Captain is built with. I would also assume crafting up your own Heralds matter as well.

Captains actually wear Heavy armour. Used to be that no character could wear heavy armour until they reached level 15, no matter what class they were, but nowadays the Heavy classes can do so from level 1.

Like others have said it does not matter all that much which crafting vocation you choose. Much of their advice is based on the situation at level cap though - essences for example does not really come into play until level 100 or so.

Many people create more than one character just for the purpose of covering all the crafting options. If you choose to go down that path your "main" (highest-level) character should choose the Explorer vocation, just so you can gather all kinds of materials for the other characters.

Otherwise good choices for Captains are:
    Tinkerer: Lets you craft jewellry which all classes benefit from.
    Scholar: You can craft various consumable potions and scrolls which again all classes can benefit from.
    Armourer: You can craft shields and Heavy armour for yourself. Later on you can also craft one kind of Legendary Items for Captains. This is usally my choice for Captains - but I have several characters who together can cover all the crafts.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    Armourer: You can craft shields and Heavy armour for yourself. Later on you can also craft one kind of Legendary Items for Captains. This is usally my choice for Captains - but I have several characters who together can cover all the crafts.
    In my experience it is the most popular vocation among captains One may argue whether it is the most profitable for the first and only character, but it simply fits the captain class. Also while leveling I find an ability to craft your own armour more benefitial than jewelry. There are plenty of nice jewels among the quest rewards and it is only about stats, while some of the crafted armour looks awesome cosmetically. And a metalsmith is crafting captain's emblems - it is always nice to have an LI which is crafted by you. And shields... every now and then captains do use a shield, be that for healing/tanking or just for a screenshot.

My captain is an armourer too. Of course.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtari - Rune Keeper / Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Merlotta - CHP 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Thanks for the many responses. Some follow-ups:

- I did not realize that the heavy vs medium armor was a long-term option, as I was simply going off what the game's default equipment provided (default starting Captain wears Medium armor so I thought there was some longer term tie-in). However, I am now shifting to Heavy Armor if there are no penalties to speed or such for wearing all heavy set. Is the starting armor as Medium simply an old requirement for the prior level 15+ Heavy restriction?

- It sounds like the cross-player economy doesn't work as well as intended, since most all advise to build alts for crafting the other stuff. Is the Auction House dead for crafting materials, in general (larger topic not specific to Captain).

- I've now read other threads that show the debate of Stick and Board (StB) vs Two Handed Fighting (THF), that it can be advantageous for StB on Blue Trait line and THF for Red/Yellow Trait lines. So, making a shield and weapons for variety does seem important since this character is wearing +2 different gear types compared to others over the long haul if you bounce from Blue (StB) to Red/Yellow (THF).

- Is there any value to raising up more than one Crafting vocation on your Main/Captain character?

- I did not realize that the heavy vs medium armor was a long-term option, as I was simply going off what the game's default equipment provided (default starting Captain wears Medium armor so I thought there was some longer term tie-in). However, I am now shifting to Heavy Armor if there are no penalties to speed or such for wearing all heavy set. Is the starting armor as Medium simply an old requirement for the prior level 15+ Heavy restriction?
    There is no penalties. Classes are divided to 'armor classes' by their *ability* to wear armors: light armor classes can wear only light armors, med armor classes can wear light and med, heavy armor classes can wear light, med or heavy. On the other hand, the traditional division is that light armor classes are Will classes (their main stat is Will, which contributes most to their performance), med classes are Agi and heavy classes are Might. This division eventually leads to situation, where heavy armor classes, although they can wear any armor, will wear heavy one: there is no penalties, just increased armor rate and Might as stat in the pieces.

- It sounds like the cross-player economy doesn't work as well as intended, since most all advise to build alts for crafting the other stuff. Is the Auction House dead for crafting materials, in general (larger topic not specific to Captain).
    It works, and that is the reason you don't need to worry about crafting that much. But if you keep playing the game, you most probably want to roll another toon to fulfill another role in groups, and when doing that, you start to think what crafting to choose to the new toon. And at that moment, you are starting to plan more about your 'deck of toons', what classes you have, and what they can craft.

- I've now read other threads that show the debate of Stick and Board (StB) vs Two Handed Fighting (THF), that it can be advantageous for StB on Blue Trait line and THF for Red/Yellow Trait lines. So, making a shield and weapons for variety does seem important since this character is wearing +2 different gear types compared to others over the long haul if you bounce from Blue (StB) to Red/Yellow (THF).
    These discussions only matter at high levels, when you are making the choice what kind of LI you are crafting: that is, if you go with one, or have two sets, and what's the benefits and such. Before that, try both.

- Is there any value to raising up more than one Crafting vocation on your Main/Captain character?
    Yes. Basically you want your crafting tears maxed, as it is the only way to support your high level toons. But if you already have maxed craft on other toon, then no. As an example: my Champ Scholar has maxed Historian + Weaponsmith + Farmer. On my much later Woodworker Loremaster, there is no point anymore to max Farmer, as my Champ can do it already.

The other thing is 'guilding'. My Champion was at one period in Weaponsmith guild - although being a Scholar - just to be able to make weapon LIs. But Scholar is not 'self-supporting' Weaponsmith because s/he cant farm & process ore to ingots, so later my Hunter took the role of guilded Weaponsmith, and Champion went back to Scholar guild. That is: not only professions and their tier matter, it also matters if they are guilded or not.

Lots of good advices here. My only input in the matter of choosing profession is: DO NOT go Scholar with your captain. At higher levels it's a bit of a struggle to gather mats for your crafting as a scholar. Often you find it in mobsheavy areas where you want a killingmachine, for fast killing, to get to the chests for the mats. Pick one of the dps heavy classes for scholar.

FYI, I took "Explorer" and have seen great results all day from it, and look forward to raising it up. Thanks again to the group's comments.

One Synergy that I am finding with Captain and Explorer - I can put the summoned Herald on "Active/Aggressive" mode to fight things and then harvest the wood or metal very easily in lower areas while he protects/kills on the side. Very quick harvesting using this technique.

:-) Good point hehe

As Explorer you can harvest Metal, Wood and Hides by killing Animals.
    So you will later find someone that will create Items, if you can support with Materials.

In endgame you want to have Cook, because it creates consumable food.
    The Materials you can harvest on the field at Michelbinge. The Seed you can buy easily for coins. Only the Harvest work depend on the toolspeed. So if you get one universl (a 2nd one) then this will work well and fast on your cook.

To use sword and board for healing and tanking often depends on the legacies you will found on your weapons.
    There are not enough nice legacies for tanking, so you can use the free slots to fill with healing legacies. Often you will find the same healing legacies on the Damagesupport weapon.
    I used one halberd for all (for a long time).

I picked up a sword and board for tanking, and it works a bit better. If you get disarmed, you can still block with the shield. 2nd you will do faster autoattacks and if you use the yellow mark you will heal more often yourself. I use the the yellow mark only if no one else is attacking the enemies, else i use the blue mark.
    As you level you will find seldom shields with good stats for you, but later and in endgame there are some.
    Keep the shield you like optical for fancy work.

Have fun.

Explorer is a great choice for any first toon. As you go through the zones, you can gather and process mats for your own finishing work (tailoring) and for alts you can roll but won't have to level for other finishing work (metalsmithing, weaponsmithing, woodworking, jewelry making). The XP from crafting will also boost your leveling a little, which is nice when you're staring down the barrel of 105 levels to endgame content.

For a captain, explorer is particularly nice because with tailoring you can craft your own herald standards, which are a unique captain item. Great if you do the Forochel zone and get the necessary reputation to make and equip the Forochel herald, which has extra morale.

Meanwhile, you can easily level without crafted weapons, armour, or jewelry. So if you don't want to roll alts to craft for your captain now, you can bank the mats and create your pit crew later. Indeed, you're not going to use crafted armour or jewelry even at endgame (if you want to be competitive). That may change with the next expansion, but I doubt it.
    Vikky (115 LM) * Iaggo (115 Burg) * Samsgarde (105 Captain) * Samsgaard (85 Guard, retired) * and others

Weaponsmith, and also make all your alts weaponsmiths. will greatly help you in the hunt for perfect passives =P
    High Treason

|Cuath R11 Captain|
    |Original Challenger of Gothmog|

Greetings OP,

You're welcome
    I am reasoning me being a Tinker for these things:as cappy im a groupy class and thus going after groupy crafting...as jeweller i can bring in hope tokens (i know not that useful in latest content) and as cook various types of food,sure one needs to have an alt or mule for farming stuff yet that i do have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanelthan View Post
    Weaponsmith, and also make all your alts weaponsmiths. will greatly help you in the hunt for perfect passives =P
    if you have a good group for doing RTs being a weaaponmaker of neither of the two is lets say unnecessary.

I have 10 toons that I leveled up. That's nuts! Why?

Crafting. Pure and simple. I love being able to craft anything and everything. I kept making and leveling new toons primarily in order to craft craft craft.

That having been said, what profession is "best" has changed over time. I've been playing LOTRO for 9+ years.

Back when cap was 50... crafting was a much bigger deal. Generally speaking the best gear was crafted. Best weapons... jewelry... armor... *crafted*. I made a small fortune making and selling weapons. Remember those days?

Then came legendaries... weapons no longer a big deal. Then - starting with Mirkwood - barter armor was best. Still a market for jewelry. Generally speaking the best gear - including jewelry - has been barter. It sounds like Mordor put crafting armor back into play again. Except to get the resources and the recipes you actually have to walk into Mordor.

Ever since Mirkwood *food and scrolls* have been most needed. You wanna raid? Scrolls and food. I have three (!) supreme master whatever cooks and two (!) supreme master whatever scholars. Jewelry is not totally obsolete - that includes hope tokens - and what with cooldowns it helps to have two (!!) supreme master whatever jewelers. Food, scrolls, jewelry - those have consistently been the most used and needed.

Does this answer the OP's excellent question? No not really. Others have given great answers. My main is a Captain and 8 years ago armorer was a natural choice. Today? Um... hmm... almost doesn't matter. These days (1) food (2) scrolls and (3) jewelry (especially tokens) are still needed on a regular basis. In my experience Explorer is useful... mainly to supply other professions with materials. Ever since Moria my woodworker has been used the least.
    Ngaemond 115 Cpt | Ngeowyn 105 Wrd | Ngori 105 Rk | Ngorbadoc 115 Hnt | Ngurin 105 Grd | Ngollwydha 105 Brg | Ngoin 115 Min | Ngamarie 105 Cpt Arkenstone | Pro tip = What someone is like in the game reflects what that person is like in real life.

Greetings OP,

You're welcome
    I realize this is a late response but, armourers can fill 8 slots for any character...
    6 armour slots, cloak slot and tool slot.
    In the case of the captain, they also make standards and armaments.

it literally does not matter what you pick