We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    Hello

I started playing Lotro last week and have levelled a few classes to level 12 ish. The ones that clicked for me were Captain and Guardian, with an emphasis on the latter.

I understand Guardians are aimed at tanking and that's fine, I enjoy that role, but...

I am worried that, as a new player, I don't know any of the instances, what to pull, what to skip, which way to go etc. As I understand it from the forums, I won't be able to join as DPS to see the instances from a non tank role before trying myself.

Should I level my captain first to scout out instances ahead of time?

I come from that other MMO where people can smell weakness and are savage as hell if you pull one extra pack or ask for help in any way plus, I am returning to gaming from a pretty bad motorbike accident in which I lost the user of my left arm & hand, so I'm not as quick as I used to be as in doing everything in game with the mouse (can't WASD any more).

Well that turned into a giant ramble :< thanks for reading if you made it this far

Quote Originally Posted by Sulienn View Post
    Hello

I started playing Lotro last week and have levelled a few classes to level 12 ish. The ones that clicked for me were Captain and Guardian, with an emphasis on the latter.

I understand Guardians are aimed at tanking and that's fine, I enjoy that role, but...

I am worried that, as a new player, I don't know any of the instances, what to pull, what to skip, which way to go etc. As I understand it from the forums, I won't be able to join as DPS to see the instances from a non tank role before trying myself.

I come from that other MMO where people can smell weakness and are savage as hell if you pull one extra pack or ask for help in any way plus, I am returning to gaming from a pretty bad motorbike accident in which I lost the user of my left arm & hand, so I'm not as quick as I used to be as in doing everything in game with the mouse (can't WASD any more).

Well that turned into a giant ramble :< thanks for reading if you made it this far
    Make a point of asking for a how-to and people become super helpful.
    99% you will not need more information than you can see but to just enjoy the story, no worries and simply push ahead and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sulienn View Post
    Hello

Don't sweat it. LOTRO players are far more mature and helpful than the ones in that other game. Even though /world chat might seem like Barrens chat at times, new player questions will usually get a reasonable response and maybe a wisecrack or two.

When you start getting access to your first instances at level 20, you'll find that the groups which form often have a wide range of experience, from raw newcomers who don't know what you're talking about when you say DPS or tank to 10 year veterans levelling an alt. You can just ask if anyone knows the instance. Someone will usually speak up. If not, then you're all exploring it in equal ignorance. You can't do the wrong thing when nobody knows what the right thing is.

Have fun!

Tip: The X key toggles the camera between fixed view (default) and track the selected target view. At some point you will accidentally press X and the camera will go all wonky, usually in the middle of combat. Press x again to make it stop.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Returning Player/New Account

Hail, friends! I'm returning to LotRO after a year's hiatus (more or less), and I'll be starting entirely from scratch. After the server closings and all that, my old kin kinda dwindled away and I couldn't really jump right into a new server and community as easily as others did. However, new ownership and the promised Mordor expansion piqued some old store of nostalgia and some new interest, so I'll be playing again, at least a little bit.
    Anyways, (since I can't yet post in other topics) I have a few questions.

What would be a good US server to join? I used to be on Meneldor, which had a fairly friendly and helpful community (and occasional drama), but I'm also kinda thinking that I may find a RP server enjoyable.
    Have there been any real changes to classes? I used to main RK and Champ, which both had good survivability and great damage.
    Any major changes that I would've missed from just reading update release notes?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NolondilLotro View Post
    Hail, friends! I'm returning to LotRO after a year's hiatus (more or less), and I'll be starting entirely from scratch. After the server closings and all that, my old kin kinda dwindled away and I couldn't really jump right into a new server and community as easily as others did. However, new ownership and the promised Mordor expansion piqued some old store of nostalgia and some new interest, so I'll be playing again, at least a little bit.
    Anyways, (since I can't yet post in other topics) I have a few questions.

What would be a good US server to join? I used to be on Meneldor, which had a fairly friendly and helpful community (and occasional drama), but I'm also kinda thinking that I may find a RP server enjoyable.
    Have there been any real changes to classes? I used to main RK and Champ, which both had good survivability and great damage.
    Any major changes that I would've missed from just reading update release notes?

Thanks!
    Landroval is a fairly friendly place and isn't very heavy on the RP. I'd say without actively looking for role-playing there, you might miss it entirely.
    Hunters had a big bump in blue line.

First of all, thank you for this thread.

Second, I have a question...

How do I enable being able to post on the normal sections? I am not even allowed to post a thread here in this section. Is this normal or there's something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_Brian View Post
    First of all, thank you for this thread.

Second, I have a question...

How do I enable being able to post on the normal sections? I am not even allowed to post a thread here in this section. Is this normal or there's something wrong?
    It is some sort of combination of time and posting here...or maybe a passing member of staff pops in to toggle that ability. We don't know - and exactly how that works has been obscured due to a previous infestation from a spam site.

Hobby Master interaction

So I talked to an HM once (a couple weeks ago?) and got a fishing rod from there. Well, I later threw that rod away and wouldn't you know it, I now have a quest that requires a fishing rod. Question is, how do I get the rod back? I've went to two HMs (Thorin's Hall and Michel Delving) and neither of them have an option to talk. What now?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    So I talked to an HM once (a couple weeks ago?) and got a fishing rod from there. Well, I later threw that rod away and wouldn't you know it, I now have a quest that requires a fishing rod. Question is, how do I get the rod back? I've went to two HMs (Thorin's Hall and Michel Delving) and neither of them have an option to talk. What now?
    I believe at least some of them have a "Browse the Shop" option where you can purchase a fishing rod for one silver.

Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Hello to all!

I just downloaded the LotR online and it is my very first time with this game. I did not have time to play so much yet, but i managed to do few quests at the beginning area and ventured into a some mine. game seems to be very nice and I am waiting to get playing tonight after work. What i am wondering here is that do i need to buy VIP or something else right from the start? Basically what is the best way to proceed early in game or is it a must to have some payed content to continue adventuring?

Thank you for you all and have a nice fresh week!

Quote Originally Posted by Demonos791 View Post
    Hello to all!

I just downloaded the LotR online and it is my very first time with this game. I did not have time to play so much yet, but i managed to do few quests at the beginning area and ventured into a some mine. game seems to be very nice and I am waiting to get playing tonight after work. What i am wondering here is that do i need to buy VIP or something else right from the start? Basically what is the best way to proceed early in game or is it a must to have some payed content to continue adventuring?

You can explore a bit and perhaps try different classes before paying anything - there is content to peruse up to around level 30-32 in the completely free bits: Ered Luin (Thorin's Hall and Celondim start place), Bree-land (Archet start) and the Shire (Little Delving start) and on top of these three areas also Lone-lands (perhaps covering as many levels as 22-32 with a few additional instances marked as level 34 for fellowships).

Have fun trying it out!

Hello to all!

Pretty much do what Macrosian said, but also definitely consider purchasing VIP for at least a month by the time you finish the free areas- as opposed to using your LotRO points to buy the next region right away. VIP will give you access to more regions which will be helpful, but it also unlocks trait slots, allows you more character slots, and gives you some other nice bonuses. Also, there should be a sale on expansion packs around the Anniversay celebration, so get those if you want. You'll pretty much need them from level 50+, especially if you want to do the all main content, like Moria, Mirkwood, Rohan, ect. Most earlier instances come with the expansions, too, with the exception of Angmar instances. (Definitely get Angmar, though, it's a ton of fun )
    Heya! My name is Bruce; I've been playing since right before Helm's Deep came out. Hope to keep playing for many ages to come!

Red face Noobie mumbling

Quote Originally Posted by The_Warg View Post
    Pretty much do what Macrosian said, but also definitely consider purchasing VIP for at least a month by the time you finish the free areas- as opposed to using your LotRO points to buy the next region right away. VIP will give you access to more regions which will be helpful, but it also unlocks trait slots, allows you more character slots, and gives you some other nice bonuses. Also, there should be a sale on expansion packs around the Anniversay celebration, so get those if you want. You'll pretty much need them from level 50+, especially if you want to do the all main content, like Moria, Mirkwood, Rohan, ect. Most earlier instances come with the expansions, too, with the exception of Angmar instances. (Definitely get Angmar, though, it's a ton of fun )
    Thank you for your replies Macrosian and The_Warg!

Your advices sounds really good, I will adventure free areas first and then get some VIP time and maybe purchase a few expansion packs in advance so they are waiting there when i am at right lvl to enter into them.

I tried Elf Mistrel at first, but would be nice to try Guardian too, so maybe i will make a human Guardian tonight and try that out. If I have understood right, fellowship means a party of players and usually this fellowship party is needed to go 20lvl+ instances right?

Well see you in game maybe and have fun all!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Warg View Post
    Good point about anniversary!

@demonos791
    If you can avoid going VIP until the 24th, there might be some juicy store discounts - possibly for quest packs but maybe also other things.
    The quest packs will not show in the game store while you're VIP because you already 'rent' that content.
    What is very likely is a hefty sale on the old expansions so look out for that! Those are typically in the web store and in the game both and will show up regardless of VIP or not.
    http://store.turbine.com/store/turbi...oryID.58516200 < web store
    If you buy the regular Moria expansion, you will add two more character slots - and you get an additional two just for being a 'premium' user who made a purchase (if I recall that correctly).
    When you have your extra character slots available and go VIP, roll the new characters and log them on at least once into the game and you will have many little things permanently unlocked for them even if you should opt to drop VIP later.

Thank you for your replies Macrosian and The_Warg!

Your advices sounds really good, I will adventure free areas first and then get some VIP time and maybe purchase a few expansion packs in advance so they are waiting there when i am at right lvl to enter into them.

I tried Elf Mistrel at first, but would be nice to try Guardian too, so maybe i will make a human Guardian tonight and try that out. If I have understood right, fellowship means a party of players and usually this fellowship party is needed to go 20lvl+ instances right?

Well see you in game maybe and have fun all!
    There is some fellowship content earlier than 20 but not a lot - correct =) Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Good point about anniversary!

@demonos791
    If you can avoid going VIP until the 24th, there might be some juicy store discounts - possibly for quest packs but maybe also other things.
    The quest packs will not show in the game store while you're VIP because you already 'rent' that content.
    What is very likely is a hefty sale on the old expansions so look out for that! Those are typically in the web store and in the game both and will show up regardless of VIP or not.
    http://store.turbine.com/store/turbi...oryID.58516200 < web store
    If you buy the regular Moria expansion, you will add two more character slots - and you get an additional two just for being a 'premium' user who made a purchase (if I recall that correctly).
    When you have your extra character slots available and go VIP, roll the new characters and log them on at least once into the game and you will have many little things permanently unlocked for them even if you should opt to drop VIP later.

There is some fellowship content earlier than 20 but not a lot - correct =) Have fun
    You only get +1 slot when you become Premium.

F2P - 2 slots per server
    Premium - 3
    VIP - 5 but when VIP expires you must select characters to lock at next login if you have more than 3. Remember to get the good stuff out of their inventory before VIP expires.

Purchasing the Moria expansion adds 2 slots to the above.

If you are playing on an F2P account and buy Moria with real money you will upgrade to Premium and get +2 slots at the same time, so you'll go from 2 to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    What you want is a Fishing Supplier. There's one near the pond at Bywater in The Shire and one at Noglond in Ered Luin (those are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head but there's probably others elsewhere). They sell basic fishing rods. Woodworkers can make you better ones and you might find one on the Auction House.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    What you want is a Fishing Supplier. There's one near the pond at Bywater in The Shire and one at Noglond in Ered Luin (those are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head but there's probably others elsewhere). They sell basic fishing rods. Woodworkers can make you better ones and you might find one on the Auction House.
    Yea, I figured that out when I went to the Bywater HM as there was a fishing supplier next to him. The Bywater HM still wouldn't talk to me but I was able to purchase a basic fishing rod from the supplier for 2s. Thanks for the reply.

The lotro wiki lists four suppliers: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Cat..._Supplier_NPCs

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    You only get +1 slot when you become Premium.

F2P - 2 slots per server
    Premium - 3
    VIP - 5 but when VIP expires you must select characters to lock at next login if you have more than 3. Remember to get the good stuff out of their inventory before VIP expires.

Purchasing the Moria expansion adds 2 slots to the above.

If you are playing on an F2P account and buy Moria with real money you will upgrade to Premium and get +2 slots at the same time, so you'll go from 2 to 5.
    Odd...my third account added all expansions and went to premium but had seven slots (no VIP), no more than half a year ago. Apparently we had two extra ones after server closures.
    If this was a function of the then still active server merges, unsure!

Hi guys, ive had my account since 2007. Tonight when i open the launcher there is nothing in the news box and when i try to log in a box comes up and says 'Failed to Launch Client' 'No subscription has been found' I was only playing last night, what could be wrong?? Ive turned my windows and anti virus firewall's off and still no joy...but yet i can still log into these forums?? But why can i not post any new threads?? I can only reply to posts......

Quote Originally Posted by Hrusse View Post
    Hi guys, ive had my account since 2007. Tonight when i open the launcher there is nothing in the news box and when i try to log in a box comes up and says 'Failed to Launch Client' 'No subscription has been found' I was only playing last night, what could be wrong?? Ive turned my windows and anti virus firewall's off and still no joy...but yet i can still log into these forums?? But why can i not post any new threads?? I can only reply to posts......
    Strange...you're certain you're not trying to lauch the Bullroarer test server client or something?
    The forum chat limitation is temporary for accounts that haven't used forums. We don't know how it works exactly, some sort of spam countermeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    Odd...my third account added all expansions and went to premium but had seven slots (no VIP), no more than half a year ago. Apparently we had two extra ones after server closures.
    If this was a function of the then still active server merges, unsure!
    Right, but I think those two only got added for Premium and VIP players who were active during the closure period.

hi hi
    i last played pirates of the caribbean online before that closed, so i'm used to slightly less complicated skill leveling and loot acquisition. i have a zillion questions, but i was wondering if there were any particularly helpful threads of FAQs. i found a few sticky posted ones that i haven't read through completely hoping similar questions were answer, but i was hoping those familiar with the community might be able to send me in the direction of quality intro/FAQ/newbie-guidance threads.

thank you!

Hey Guys,

after years i'm coming back to LOTRO. The last time i played was when Mines of Moria came out.
    I have a few questions, because the game has changed quite a bit ^^'

1. How is the cash shop? I heard that you can earn the currency ingame without problems. How true is that?
    2. How many players are out there? I'm from Germany, so i would choose a german server.
    3. Is the player base as nice as before?
    4. How often are the expansions reduced? I'm at college and don't have that much money^^'

That are all questions for now
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by lenofi View Post
    hi hi
    i last played pirates of the caribbean online before that closed, so i'm used to slightly less complicated skill leveling and loot acquisition. i have a zillion questions, but i was wondering if there were any particularly helpful threads of FAQs. i found a few sticky posted ones that i haven't read through completely hoping similar questions were answer, but i was hoping those familiar with the community might be able to send me in the direction of quality intro/FAQ/newbie-guidance threads.

thank you!
    Local chat questions inside the game: you can try /advice (just type that command with a space at end and you type to that chat) which reaches local area, /say reaches the immediate surroundings, /regional reaches a greater area and /wd (world) is global and reaches everyone who didn't filter that out. Global chats should be available after a character on a new account spends three hours /played time in the game (after which you need to relog) or on an existing account and new character after you get the Novice passive (k skills and passives tab, you get that immediately after leaving intro archet or thorin's hall).

What server are you on? I'd be happy to help out whenever needed.

Wiki is ace - search via Mrs Google for terms like lotro task items or lotro hunter quests and you typically get a good wiki link, often with little hints and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexz View Post
    Hey Guys,

after years i'm coming back to LOTRO. The last time i played was when Mines of Moria came out.
    I have a few questions, because the game has changed quite a bit ^^'

1. How is the cash shop? I heard that you can earn the currency ingame without problems. How true is that?
    2. How many players are out there? I'm from Germany, so i would choose a german server.
    3. Is the player base as nice as before?
    4. How often are the expansions reduced? I'm at college and don't have that much money^^'

That are all questions for now
    Thanks guys!
    Store points in the game... I recently made a new character to 70 on an account without many resources. Without really trying, made around 1500 store points doing that. I'm sure I left many area deeds half finished.
    Made one focused effort to make store points following a guide and had a *really* boring time but made 500 store points in a 4.5 hour session. Ghastly boring. I just wanted to see what that game is like for those who really want everything and really have no credit card. While *easy* it is also *boring*!

Unsure about the German servers. During a 2012 event across all servers, one of the German servers won but quite some margin. I think there's a healthy population among the remaining servers.
    To use your old characters, log into your old account and hit the Transfer button - your old characters might have been on a server that closed. You'll find them under that button. There is one general German server and one with role-playing bias left.

The player base nice levels seem similar

Expect an expack sale at anniversary (starts April 20 or if it was 24). Black Friday sale is a thing here as well, shopped the quad pack + HD for my extra account for around $45 total, after taxes.
    All content after 95 is rented while VIP so if you subscribe one month (USD 15), you're coverd for most stuff you can want and can explore the newer bits of the game freely.

Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast