We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaidy View Post
    Hi all, I'm having a bit of a struggle with all the running around with having to constantly hold the right mouse button down to steer. Is there an option in settings somewhere to alter that? I haven't managed to find one but hoping one of you know to solve this. The muscles on the back of my hand, controlling my middle finger, are aching with the constant use.

Thank in advance.
    You can steer with keys instead of the mouse. aka WASD steering. A & D turn left and right, W is forward, S is backward. Q & E are strafe left and right. The four arrow keys can also be used, but there's no strafe keys in that area of the keyboard.

Also, the Num Lock key toggles Autorun off and on. (Using forward, backward, or strafe keys will also turn Autorun off.) I frequently Autorun and just use A & D to steer.

Hope that helps.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Do i need to post here to get access to rest of forums ?

Hey All
    Created this account a couple of weeks ago, and was thinking that time was only factor needed to post in other subforums. Now back and checking.. Still no access. Would this simple post be enough? Or do i have to make a confirmation of account creation. I haven't recieved any e-mails as i'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Endoloose View Post
    Hey All
    Created this account a couple of weeks ago, and was thinking that time was only factor needed to post in other subforums. Now back and checking.. Still no access. Would this simple post be enough? Or do i have to make a confirmation of account creation. I haven't recieved any e-mails as i'm aware of.
    It seems to be time - or a passing community manager toggles access.
    It is true also for old accounts that have not been used on forums before!

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    It seems to be time - or a passing community manager toggles access.
    It is true also for old accounts that have not been used on forums before!
    Well, seems like the one post was the thing missing Now i see the Reply button on other subforums. Thank you for replying

Deed Log other than Bree-land

So I've completed all the deeds in Bree-land. However, now it seems I cannot view the deeds for The Lone Lands or The Shire. When I am in those areas, it still shows the Deed log for Bree-land and there is no drop-down or similar to switch to another area. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland_Deschain View Post
    So I've completed all the deeds in Bree-land. However, now it seems I cannot view the deeds for The Lone Lands or The Shire. When I am in those areas, it still shows the Deed log for Bree-land and there is no drop-down or similar to switch to another area. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
    No, it's a common mistake. There are things that look like decorative tags on the bottom edge of the deed log. Those are tabs to select the different regions. The first four show you deeds started in Bree-land, The Shire, Ered Luin, and The Lone Lands, respectively.

Approximately most of us had to figure out or ask about this when we first started.

Bonus Hint: The X key toggles between fixed camera and follow the highlighted target. I can almost guarantee that at some point during play your camera view will go all wonky. Press x to make it stop.

Have fun!

Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    No, it's a common mistake. There are things that look like decorative tags on the bottom edge of the deed log. Those are tabs to select the different regions. The first four show you deeds started in Bree-land, The Shire, Ered Luin, and The Lone Lands, respectively.

Approximately most of us had to figure out or ask about this when we first started.

Bonus Hint: The X key toggles between fixed camera and follow the highlighted target. I can almost guarantee that at some point during play your camera view will go all wonky. Press x to make it stop.

Have fun!
    Ah, thanks very much. I must say they certainly look much more decorative than functional. Thanks as well for the bonus hint. I'm sure I'll make use of it soon enough.

Completely new roleplaying player here with questions.

Hello,
    I'm completely new to this game (downloaded this game yesterday and got to lvl 5), never played before and have a couple questions.

1.) Is the player base in this game basically all high end? more specifically, I went back to the original Everquest a couple years ago at a friends request. Most of the zones in the world were dead, and everyone in the game seemed to be near the highest level if not exactly at it. There was also an option of paying to make your character start at level 75 (or something like that) right off the bat. I do not want to play another game like that. I am hoping the world is populated with players throughout most content.

2.) How healthy is the game population? Is there still a good sized player base?

3.) I love to roleplay, am based in the United States, and was wondering what the best server is to play on for that.

I am a big Tolkien fan and like to solo much of the time but also group occasionally. I would like to be part of a good kinship.

Thanks ahead of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Carcosa View Post
    Hello,
    I'm completely new to this game (downloaded this game yesterday and got to lvl 5), never played before and have a couple questions.
    Hi.

I have a few lower level characters and see people around all the time. Not as many as at high levels (inevitable given the age of the game) but quite a few.

Yes, there are still many people playing.

Landroval is the US RP server. Laurelin is the EU one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Carcosa View Post
    Hello,

1.) Is the player base in this game basically all high end? more specifically, I went back to the original Everquest a couple years ago at a friends request. Most of the zones in the world were dead, and everyone in the game seemed to be near the highest level if not exactly at it. There was also an option of paying to make your character start at level 75 (or something like that) right off the bat. I do not want to play another game like that. I am hoping the world is populated with players throughout most content.

2.) How healthy is the game population? Is there still a good sized player base?

3.) I love to roleplay, am based in the United States, and was wondering what the best server is to play on for that.

I am a big Tolkien fan and like to solo much of the time but also group occasionally. I would like to be part of a good kinship.

Thanks ahead of time!
    Welcome to LOTRO!

1. The long time players are all high level, but many of them play lower level alts and there are also new players still coming on board. If you are still in the starter area you will see few players. Once you complete the intro area you'll get sent to the wide world and get a better idea. Bree in particular always has characters of all levels in it. Also, the Spring Festival is in progress through Monday, so many people are at the festival locations.

I've been playing almost 10 years and I level a new alt almost every year. For several years I would rarely see another character when I was out in the boonies questing. Since the consolidation, these alts run into other characters all over the place.

2. Yes. They consolidated servers down to 5 NA and 5 EU a couple of years ago so there's must less ghost town effect. I think Crickhollow is the least populated NA server. Arkenstone is definitely jam packed.

3. NA Roleplay server is Landroval. If you are not there, go ahead and create new characters. (Character limit is per server, so you can have chars all over the place.) Note that EU and NA servers are all in New Jersey. The EU servers started in EU but later moved over here. The designators remain because they still indicate incompatibility for the paid transfer service as well as roughly indicate timezone range for peak population.

For RP and kinship finding on Landroval, I suggest you check the server forum below for regular events like concerts, recitals, etc. You can just take your character to an event location and start out by RPing an interested audience member. Talk to other people in the audience during breaks. Same thing you might do in RL if you moved to a new town.

Have fun!

Hey :)

Why my replay threat button not active in other topics ?

- Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rothdpol View Post
    Why my replay threat button not active in other topics ?

- Thanks
    Hello there. You get more access soon, no worries!

Any specific questions you had for now? Can attempt to answer

I'm a very new player and wanted to ask: Will there be sales at the anniversary?
    I wanted to buy the expansions for the game, but 2*35$ is quite a lot for a game this old. Will things like the Quad Pack and Helm's Deep-Expansion be cheaper during this time, or should I buy them now?
    (I also was looking for some kind of starterpack with the DLCs, but I didn't find any.)

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmix View Post
    I'm a very new player and wanted to ask: Will there be sales at the anniversary?
    I wanted to buy the expansions for the game, but 2*35$ is quite a lot for a game this old. Will things like the Quad Pack and Helm's Deep-Expansion be cheaper during this time, or should I buy them now?
    (I also was looking for some kind of starterpack with the DLCs, but I didn't find any.)
    Wait for the Anniversary.

SSG has not announced that there will definitely be sales, but the last few Anniversaries the expacs have been put on sale so everyone expects that tradition to continue.

just started the game today need advice

can the game be played at end game on a free account? how to join a kinship? key items to save currency for? any other advice for new players?

I have played world of Warcraft for 8 years and am looking for a new game. ( want to play free since I play a ton less now) only have about 8-10 hours a week to if that even. thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwurrzaggmo View Post
    can the game be played at end game on a free account? how to join a kinship? key items to save currency for? any other advice for new players?

I have played world of Warcraft for 8 years and am looking for a new game. ( want to play free since I play a ton less now) only have about 8-10 hours a week to if that even. thanks for any help.
    You can play the entire game on a free account, but it will take a huge amount of time if you are trying to earn LOTRO points in game to buy content.

A lot of people do play on non-subscription accounts but they also spend money buying LOTRO Points and xpacs (everyone has to buy any xpacs they want). This lets them jump in and out of the game according to their schedule without worrying that they are wasting money on a sub that they aren't currently using. Note that when you spend any amount of real money, your account upgrades from Free to Play to Premium, which lifts some restrictions and gives you a 3rd character slot.

There is likely to be a big sale on xpacs during the 10th Anniversary at the end of April. In the past, they went on sale for 75% discount - $20 for 6 xpacs rather than $80.

Joining a kinship is a matter of meeting people and getting to know them just like in real life. A number of kins recruit in the /world channel. They can be good, bad, or indifferent.

Not really any key items to save currency for before end game. Crafters still put some useful low level gear on the auction house. The prices may seem outrageous for a while, but by level 25-30 you'll have plenty of gold.

Other advice:

- The X key toggles between fixed camera and follow-the-highlighted-target mode. At some point, usually in the middle of a tense combat, you will accidentally hit X and your view will go all wonky. Just press X again to make it stop.

- Every character that logs in, even for 1 second, while the account is VIP (subscribed) gets a large number of perks permanently unlocked. The cost of unlocking these for one character by using LPs is about the same as the one month sub. For this reason, it's strongly recommended that you: subscribe for one month, create every character you might want to play, and log them in and out of the tutorial instance. Plan that one month to coincide with a time when you will have a good amount of play time and when you have 1-2 characters at 25+ so that you can play in regions that you have not purchased separately.

Have fun!

I'm looking to buy my first house in Lotro, but I'm not sure how ownership works. Does it matter which character I log on to buy the house? Will there be anything locked to this specific character or will all my alts have full access to all the features and management options? Would I lose anything if the character gets deleted later?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophibious View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first house in Lotro, but I'm not sure how ownership works. Does it matter which character I log on to buy the house? Will there be anything locked to this specific character or will all my alts have full access to all the features and management options? Would I lose anything if the character gets deleted later?
    When you buy a house all characters on the same account and same server have full access and full permissions for that house. You can also grant permissions to other characters on other accounts or to the world in general. Typically people let the world enter their house and use the interactable furniture because that's harmless and lets them show off their house.

If you delete the character that purchased the house you will lose the house. There is no way to transfer the house to another character. You can abandon the house and repurchase it with another character.

If you delete the character that purchased the house you will lose the house. There is no way to transfer the house to another character. You can abandon the house and repurchase it with another character.
    Aw damn, this is what I was the most worried about. I'm an altholic and regularly delete and remake characters. I like being able to swap important and valuable stuff between all my alts to avoid losing it. I guess I'll start with a cheap non-deluxe house for now.

Aw damn, this is what I was the most worried about. I'm an altholic and regularly delete and remake characters. I like being able to swap important and valuable stuff between all my alts to avoid losing it. I guess I'll start with a cheap non-deluxe house for now.
    You could create a second, free, account and use a character on that to own the simple house. He can give all your other character permission to use the chest and to pay the costs of the house. They would not get the port to house but if you buy a dwarf house it's pretty close to the Thorin's stable.

You could create a second, free, account and use a character on that to own the simple house. He can give all your other character permission to use the chest and to pay the costs of the house. They would not get the port to house but if you buy a dwarf house it's pretty close to the Thorin's stable.
    Eh, it's probaly more trouble than it's worth, and the port is one of the main reasons I wanted a house in the first place.
    I think I'll use my Captain to buy it. Captain deeds are so tedious to do even once, so I likely won't want to flush that character ever.

Still, thanks for the info.

Eh, it's probaly more trouble than it's worth, and the port is one of the main reasons I wanted a house in the first place.
    I think I'll use my Captain to buy it. Captain deeds are so tedious to do even once, so I likely won't want to flush that character ever.

Still, thanks for the info.
    You can still create the second account and use it to buy a second house close to your main house in the same neighborhood and double the shared storage. Best of both worlds.

Have fun!

It's me again!
    I started playing on one of the Servers and then stumbled upon my first quest for Turbine Coins.
    I tried to read up on all the stuff about VIP/Premium, DLCs, etc. but I still find it very confusing.
    Stuff I know about:
    - There are expansion who open new areas (Moria, Rohan, Helm's Deep, etc)...similar to Guild Wars 1 that I played a lot.
    - There is a VIP/Premium/Free system with restrictions..I think I can best compare it to SWTOR with limited auctions, wallet, etc

But that quest I found wants me to buy a quest-pack? So I tried to turn my confusion into questions:

1) Do I have to buy quests for Turbine Points in areas that are not part of a DLC (Moria, Angmar, etc)?
    2) Can I reach the maximum level without turbine points (is there enough contet not hidden behind store-packs to get to max level)?
    3) Can I use every build on my character and unlock every ability for a class without spending turbine points?
    4) Do I need any kind of turbine points to join/make full use of a kinship?

I read a lot about the game and the main argument is always "you can farm turbine points", so I wanted to make clear what content is locked behind the turbine-currency (achieved by farming or buying).
    Thanks a lot for the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmix View Post
    It's me again!
    I started playing on one of the Servers and then stumbled upon my first quest for Turbine Coins.
    I tried to read up on all the stuff about VIP/Premium, DLCs, etc. but I still find it very confusing.
    Stuff I know about:
    - There are expansion who open new areas (Moria, Rohan, Helm's Deep, etc)...similar to Guild Wars 1 that I played a lot.
    - There is a VIP/Premium/Free system with restrictions..I think I can best compare it to SWTOR with limited auctions, wallet, etc

But that quest I found wants me to buy a quest-pack? So I tried to turn my confusion into questions:

1) Do I have to buy quests for Turbine Points in areas that are not part of a DLC (Moria, Angmar, etc)?
    2) Can I reach the maximum level without turbine points (is there enough contet not hidden behind store-packs to get to max level)?
    3) Can I use every build on my character and unlock every ability for a class without spending turbine points?
    4) Do I need any kind of turbine points to join/make full use of a kinship?

I read a lot about the game and the main argument is always "you can farm turbine points", so I wanted to make clear what content is locked behind the turbine-currency (achieved by farming or buying).
    Thanks a lot for the answers
    It sounds like you encountered the quest that teaches you about LOTRO Points (LP) and the store. Gives you 10 LP and tells you to buy the quest. The quest is useless. Just keep the 10 LP. (You only get this quest on your first character.)

Just for clarification, DLC is a slight misnomer. When you purchase more content there's nothing to download because all content is already installed on your PC. You just get something unlocked. Maybe it should be called Unlockable Content - ULC?

There are four main types of content:

Free Regions: Ered Luin, The Shire, Bree-land, and The Lone Lands. Those covers quests etc. for characters from level 1-30 with the first three overlapping in 1-15.

Epic Quest line: This is free except for the portion in the Helm's Deep expansion (level 86-95). It's the main story and has some of the best rewards.

Quest Packs: These are sets of quests (not single ones) for specific regions on the map. VIPs get access to this content automatically. (Effectively, subscription pays to rent this content). Everyone else has to purchase the QP with LPs, but once purchased it's available to all characters on all servers for that account.

Expansions (expacs): Mines of Moria (50-60), Shadows of Mirkwood (60-65), Rise of Isengard (65-75), Riders of Rohan (75-85), and Helm's Deep (85-95), plus Mordor (105+) will be released this year. Everyone must buy these in order to use them. They are likely to go on sale at the end of April. These can be purchased with real money via the Store - LOTRO MArket link above, or for LP from the in-game store. Note that Moria has two flavors - xpac and quest pack. The latter is cheaper but only contains the quests and not the repeatable group content.

There are some additional things, like a some skirmishes (a type of solo & group repeatable you can start playing at level 20).

The geography is pretty much wide open. You can get into Moria without purchasing the xpac, you just can't get any quests there except for the Epic line.

You can reach level cap without spending any LP, but the grind will be mind numbing.

You will need to spend LP to open up slots for traits and virtues on your character. You don't need LP to create or join a kinship, although you would need some to unlock the gold cap in order to be able to purchase a kin house.

It's a really good idea to plan to subscribe for a single month. When a character logs in while VIP, all the trait and crafting locks are permanently unlocked, gold cap is removed, fast travel route usage is unlocked, and a few other things I can't recall. Also the QP content is accessible for that month and you get a 500 LP stipend that month.

$35 Suggestion

1. Buy the 5 expacs when they go on sale. Good chance you will be able to get all five for $20 at the end of April

2. Subscribe for one month. During that month, create every character you might want to play in the future and log them in and out of the tutorial to unlock things. Best if you can subscribe when you have a character or two that has outlevelled the content you've purchased. They can level in the "rented" areas while you are VIP.

3. When you reach the end of the free content, purchase Evendim quest pack. If you did EVERYTHING in the free regions on one character you will have enough LP saved up to do this. Evendim takes you to level 40. When you reach that you have to figure out which QP or 2 to buy to bridge the levelling gap between Evendim and Moria.

4. The xpacs will take you from 50 to 95 or even 97. If you've saved LP you'll be able to buy some of the Gondor QPs (7 so far) and get to 105+. Then you can figure out what to do about the Mordor xpac coming out later this year.

Have fun!

Thanks a lot, Nosdracir, I really appreciate the help and information you provide.
    I am a big fan of Lord of the Rings and the lore behind it, and I am ready to buy expansions to support the developers.
    While I am used to some strong restrictions for free players in games like SWTOR, no other game has made it so hard for me to spend money on it, like LotRO.
    I can live with limitations and, exp-boost, expansion, etc.

But this amount of roadblocks to even level your character is not worth my money.
    I would love to be part of this very friendly community, but I do not want to support devs who can't even release a graphics update in 10 years or reacting to input of the (awesome) community in any way (I've read a lot about the trait-changes and battlegrounds and how much resistance they got from your side.)
    Even when they were reducing the servers from 29 to 10, they still didn't spent a single thought to make the game more friendly and inviting for new players, but try to hide premium payments behind every corner and add a salty taste to every kind of progress.

I wish you guys a lot of fun, but most of all I wish for a new developer picking up the game, or start a new lotr-game with more in mind than money.

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast