We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Optharo View Post
    I do - or else I would able to post in any forum I'd like the minute I register my account, right?

And the link you provided explicitly talks about a new account being unlocked within a few days up to 1 week - which means it's common practise to not give a customer immediate access to the whole forum.
    PM Cordovan and explain that you're VIP and you get unlocked.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Optharo View Post
    So a paying customer has to put up with this ridiculous procedure of accumulating forums posts before I'm allowed to post on the whole forum - and in the meantime the forum gets spammed from time to time and I get daily gold spammers in /world chat?

Punish the paying customer while not doing a thing about spammers: sounds like a model for success.
    This is not accurate. We do have a small waiting period after a forum account first logs in before they are able to post outside of New Player Questions and Impressions. This is done to curb spamming and trolling, among other things. No minimum post count is required to post.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Hey,
    I am a new player , huge Tolkien fan, never really gave a shot to this game though, but am willing to try. I had a few questions and wondered if you guys can help me out. I tried researching a bit, and made a character, but it would be nice to see your input if possible. Here are my questions:

1. Is the game active? Big part of me playing mmos is actually getting to talk to people and having foolish joking fun. Coming from the most populated mmorpg, it would be strange to run over zones and cities without any players in it.
    2. Is the game newbie friendly? Will I be able to get to the level of players who played the game for years. Keep in mind - I don't care about looks, all I care about is stats, being able to perform on the level of other players.
    3. How is the end game aka raiding, dungeons, funny activities to do when not raiding.
    4. Is it too much of a p2w? I am willing to spend money if I like the game, but an endless cash drain is not really to my taste.
    5. Is there any sort of pvp? And if-yes is it active/competitive?
    6. How is the community? Friendly or more dismissive?
    7. I am used to playing Healing/Supporting classes and wanted to know if all of the available ones are viable at end game and actually can perform whats needed from them?
    8. Which would be a decent server to start off? (connected to point 1).

Thank you in advance for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by SRoam View Post
    Hey,
    I am a new player , huge Tolkien fan, never really gave a shot to this game though, but am willing to try. I had a few questions and wondered if you guys can help me out. I tried researching a bit, and made a character, but it would be nice to see your input if possible. Here are my questions:

1. Is the game active? Big part of me playing mmos is actually getting to talk to people and having foolish joking fun. Coming from the most populated mmorpg, it would be strange to run over zones and cities without any players in it.
    2. Is the game newbie friendly? Will I be able to get to the level of players who played the game for years. Keep in mind - I don't care about looks, all I care about is stats, being able to perform on the level of other players.
    3. How is the end game aka raiding, dungeons, funny activities to do when not raiding.
    4. Is it too much of a p2w? I am willing to spend money if I like the game, but an endless cash drain is not really to my taste.
    7. I am used to playing Healing/Supporting classes and wanted to know if all of the available ones are viable at end game and actually can perform whats needed from them?

First of all, WELCOME to Lotro!! Always great to see new player coming in! Now, on to your questions.

1.Yes, though we're not as big as some of the other MMOs out there. The map size of Lotro is also much bigger than many MMOs, so you may not SEE as many players running around as you may be used to; and in towns, Lotro uses a layer system to help keep the lag down as much as possible, but World Chat is very active and vocal, at least on my server of Gladden. We love to talk and joke around; all servers have trolls, but Gladden doesn't have too many. I would recommend making some "trial" toons on different servers and testing the social waters with those to find a good fit for you.

2. The game is VERY newbie friendly. I would personally recommend going VIP for at least one month and logging your character(s) in at least once during VIP to unlock a lot of permanent perks, such as Quick Travel ability, Virtues, Currency Cap removal, and some other things. Most Trait Tree points and Virtues (equip-able passive stats) are acquired by doing Slayer/Quest/Exploration Deeds or by lvling your character.

3. Don't know a lot about the end-game scene since I'm not much of a raider, but I see people putting together runs on WC all the time. The best way to enjoy something like that is to find a Kin (Guild) that does that stuff.

4. No, there is very little in the store that will help you "win" at this game. A few XP boosts and some higher lvl Stat tomes that don't drop in game (but by the time you've got several K of a stat, what's +15 more going to do for you?), and that's about it as far as player progression help.

5. Lotro isn't that big on PvP or PvMP (Player vs Monster Player on here, also called Freeps and Creeps); but there are still Kins (see my advice above) that are involved in it. Arkenstone seems to be the biggest raiding/PvMP server, but it's also the most Troll-y one right now, too. Sorry, I'm not trying to hate on Arky, just saying it like I saw it on there.

6. Depends on the server, that's why I recommended you to make "trial" toons to check the different servers out, but most servers are very/pretty friendly.

7. Main/best healer in Lotro is the Minstrel; a Runekeeper can either do good DPS or heal pretty well, but that class has to be either bought from the store or bought with the Mines of Moria xpac. Loremasters are great support toons, doing CC, stuns/mezzes, and being the group's battery pack (restoring power to other group members). Burglar is also a good support class, specializing in debuffs and sneak attacks. All classes definitely have something to offer at end game, but Burgs tend to be the least requested (at least in WC, I've not played a Burg myself to end game), but Mini's, RK's, or LM's are always in demand.

8. Gladden, of course!!

Hope this helps!! Glad you're here!

Wow,

Hey , thanks for your answers. Really helped a lot. I also wanted to ask regarding the expansions and purchasing the content of the game. How does that work? Do I have to buy all previous expansions or only the latest one? Can I level without purchasing them?

Hey,

1. Yes.

2. Yes, but it can take some time. Level cap is 115. Very easy to solo to 105 but there's a jump in difficulty to 106 and later. There's a lot of old end game levels (50 60 65 75 85 95 100) that have grinds that you can skip or just play once for the story.

3. Someone else will have to answer this in more detail. Some are happy and some unhappy with it.

4. Loot boxes at 115. You can grind for them or do without, so you can avoid the P2W just by playing. Others will pay.

5. Yes, PvP. It's actually Player vs Monster Player. You can make a Goblin Reaver and other chars to play the bad guy side of PvMP is a restricted area. Can't run all over the world. It's unbalanced. I don't play it, so no idea which side is OP this month.

6. Probably one of the friendliest MMO communities. Lots of older Tolkien fans who enjoy the story rather than competitive MMO play. Excellent music system. Even when global chat is getting rude and argumentative, both sides will stop and give a reasonable answer to the newb question, then resume bickering.

7. Minstrel is completely viable healer at end game. Also a good nuker in DPS mode while soloing and levelling up. Rune-Keeper has lost some of it's healing prowess at current end game. Captain (kinda like a Paladin, kinda) is decent small group heals. Welcome at end game not just for spot heal, but also buffs and general toughness due to hvy armor - still klinda of a jack of all trades that enhances the group even though it seems mediocre in any one area.

8. Uh, yeah. Arkenstone and Brandywine have the highest populations. Gladden next probably. Landroval is roleplay encouraged but not required, but don't go crashing the poetry recital in the inn. Crickhollow has lowest population, but is recommended for new players so will have a higher low level pop. (Did that make sense?) Evernight is EU English and crowded while Laurelin is EU RP encouraged English. The other three servers are French and German speaking.

You can buy level boost in the in-game store that will take you to level 50, 95, or 105. The first two still require you to grind out deeds to improve your character. The deeds are things that you'd do while levelling, but instead you go back one-hit-kill 150 mobs for a necessary deed, for example. The 105 boost is pricey, but includes autocompletion of a large percentage of those deeds.

Even as an F2P, you can create characters on every server just to check them out. The two character limit is per server, not per account.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Wow,

Hey , thanks for your answers. Really helped a lot. I also wanted to ask regarding the expansions and purchasing the content of the game. How does that work? Do I have to buy all previous expansions or only the latest one? Can I level without purchasing them?
    If you're f2p, you get four lowest areas - Ered Luin, Shire, Breeland and Lone Lands for free. Anything beyond it, you have to purchase: those are either quest packs or expansions. All of them can be bought with real money or Lotro Points which you get from doing deeds, VIPs "rent out" quest pack contents for the duration of their sub.

You can visit the areas you don't own but can't quest there, just gather mats or kill mobs(and be killed if you wander into high lvl region). There's also the Epic - a chain of quests spanning all areas and available to everyone (some minor exceptions) which tells the main story

It is best to wait for sales before buying obviously. The first expansion is Moria (around lvl 50) and you will want to get it, which quest packs you buy on the way there depends on you. You can lvl running instances/skirmishes although you'll have few to choose from as f2p. Crafting also nets you decent XP at lower levels, as well as participating in festivals. Doing deeds in intro areas will provide you with enough LP to buy some content.

Wow,

Unfortunately, everyone has to buy the xpacs, even VIPs, but the main story line (the Epic) is free even in xpac areas except for Helm's Deep. They just had a really good sale about a month ago, and sometimes will have one around the Anniversary Event which is in April. The best sales are always on the Lotro Market (web site, under store tab), and I would make a point to check on it once a week or so. Often times, if there's a really good sale, someone will mention it in WC as well. You only have TOTAL questing access to the first four regions (Ered Luin, Shire, Breeland, and the Lone Lands), but if you do the Deeds in those four regions, you should have enough Lotro Points (you get those for completing Deeds) to buy at least one or two more regions from the store, and once a region is bought, it's available account wide. VIPs have total access to all regions for the duration of their sub. Again, I say, you can still go into the regions and do the Epic quests, but the side quests won't be available to you in regions/xpacs you haven't bought yet if you're not subbed.

I was f2p until around L75 in Rohan; the ONLY area I felt there werent enough quests to progress was Lothlorien; every area has some quests available for f2p, and the Epic line is enough to keep you levelling up, although the lack of deed completion will mount up and your character will not be as strong as someone who owned and did all of the content.

In the last sale, it was possible to buy all of the areas up to and including Moria for ~£12 real money, and there are also often sales for buying via Lotro points. I think my total spend on expacs over the last 3 years, including my daughters account - is perhaps £50, with the best value being the Eriador(spl?) and Quad packs that include multiple expacs into one.

Buying an expac means that all the characters on your account, existing and in the future, can use it.

Hi, new player. My updater is stuck and won't progress pat a certain point no matter what I try and I have found no answers elsewhere.

It says, "Downloading vignette_dwelf_raid.bik 0.0 of 0.0 megabytes."

Any answers as to what I can do to get past that would be great. Thank you.

when will i be able to post in the kin thread. I'm trying to post my url for my kin. http://ridersoffellowship.gamerlaunch.com
    INFAMOUS-TALON

Quote Originally Posted by Aeronar View Post
    Hi, new player. My updater is stuck and won't progress pat a certain point no matter what I try and I have found no answers elsewhere.

It says, "Downloading vignette_dwelf_raid.bik 0.0 of 0.0 megabytes."

Any answers as to what I can do to get past that would be great. Thank you.
    I don't have a solution, just a guess at one. Try adding the following to your shortcut's Target:

-skiprawdownload

As in:

C:\blah\blah\TurbineInvoker -skiprawdownload

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousTalon View Post
    when will i be able to post in the kin thread. I'm trying to post my url for my kin. http://ridersoffellowship.gamerlaunch.com
    After some time has passed. There's an unpublished wait time, measured in days, before a new account can post in other forums or create threads here. Ongoing battle with India-based black magic/love magic spammer (seriously!). Only thing you can do is check each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    I don't have a solution, just a guess at one. Try adding the following to your shortcut's Target:

-skiprawdownload

As in:

C:\blah\blah\TurbineInvoker -skiprawdownload
    Hey, it worked, I guess. Updater is working again. Thanks. Now I'll be able to experience Middle Earth and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeronar View Post
    Hey, it worked, I guess. Updater is working again. Thanks. Now I'll be able to experience Middle Earth and stuff.
    Just call me StoppedClock.

I'm right twice a day.

Glad to hear it worked. Have fun playing LOTRO.

wonderful thread

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26