We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38
    Quote Originally Posted by Olgomil View Post
    I had posted in your name in the Bounders of the Shire recruitment thread.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...97#post7857197

Sergio :-)

Thank you, Sergio, for your help and kindness in this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

Meepinater - in the game, people to look for are Daffodilia (Bounder Chief) and officers Meadowlarke, Falibrand, Gennyrose, or Dyonaea. (There are others, but these are on the most often.) You can send each of them a post, if you wish. (NOTE: I play Meadowlarke.) Or "friend" us and wait for one of us to come on. We are often in the game, but also often on alt characters - we all have several, I am afraid.

We have Bounder Inspections near Town Hole on Saturdays at 12:00 noon (server time) . . . not really inspections, but a conversation among Bounders and some non-Bounder friends (in-character, for the most part) about what's happening in the week ahead.

I will be looking forward to meeting you.

Also, we do have a web site. boundersoftheshire.com
    Last edited by Tiempko; Aug 03 2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on intermission between Volume I and Volume II, doing Level 50 instances such as Helegrod and The Rift (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Hello!

Is there a way to put a custom avatar on the forum profile? In the options it only let me choose between some default ones… am I missing something?

Edited, posted by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrahir View Post
    Hello!

Is there a way to put a custom avatar on the forum profile? In the options it only let me choose between some default ones… am I missing something?
    As far as I know, the only way to get a custom avatar is to contribute to Cordovan's Extra Life charity effort. See here - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...16#post7796616

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    As far as I know, the only way to get a custom avatar is to contribute to Cordovan's Extra Life charity effort. See here - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...16#post7796616
    Ah, I see, thanks for the reply! I thought there was some kind of setting I was missing.

new to forums

Quote Originally Posted by ingo2 View Post
    Welcome to Lord of the Rings Online.

If you just created your forum account and cannot yet start a new thread in order to ask a question, you can ask it in this thread.
    Hi everyone just popping in to see the forums and how they work. Love lotro, im a daily player.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmeeseeks View Post
    Hi everyone just popping in to see the forums and how they work. Love lotro, im a daily player.
    Welcome to LOTRO!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

welcome email links dont work

welcome email links dont work. Could you provide links to those resources still (or change the email)?

Is there any way to view what armor or outfit that a character (not your own) is wearing? I've seen quite a few other players with cool armor and am interested in it, but didn't really see an option. I know in some other MMOs you can click on them and view what they are wearing, so I was just curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by meagol View Post
    Is there any way to view what armor or outfit that a character (not your own) is wearing? I've seen quite a few other players with cool armor and am interested in it, but didn't really see an option. I know in some other MMOs you can click on them and view what they are wearing, so I was just curious. Thanks!
    You can click them, right-click on their portrait and click inspect.

But if they choose to be anonymous, you can't inspect them. The only way is to ask them then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    Yes, the Shire, Bree-land, Ered Luin, and the Lone-lands are the only regions free to all players. You could do a skirmish or instance scaled to your level for some decent XP, or buy quest packs. (Non-expansion quest packs are free to VIP subscribers during their subscriptions.)

If you plan to stick with LOTRO and don't plan on subscribing full time, I'd recommend the Eriador Bundle of quest packs, which is currently on sale for 75% off in the LOTRO Store. That will give you everything you need (and more) to get to level 50, when you can contemplate buying expansions. This is a particularly good deal, since you get more than $50 worth of individual quest packs for less than $10.
    I must enter the game to buy the bundle, right? Cause I am looking for it in LOTRO market online and it is not there.

Hahah, you kind of answered it for me, it is LOTRO store lol. Sorry to bother you...
    Last edited by NailFelagund; Aug 10 2018 at 08:17 AM.

A Farming Question

I'm relatively new to the game (only about 10 hours I think) and have chosen to be a Yeoman. As a cook, a lot of the recipes need ingredients that stem from Spring Barley, and I'm absolutely stumped on where to get it from. I have gone to both Novice & Expert farmhands and they don't sell the recipe to grow the crop, and no vendors I've found sell it. I'm sure there's a simple answer to my problem, but I'm clueless about many things in this game. Can someone help me please?
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by TeaTimeDoctor View Post
    I'm relatively new to the game (only about 10 hours I think) and have chosen to be a Yeoman. As a cook, a lot of the recipes need ingredients that stem from Spring Barley, and I'm absolutely stumped on where to get it from. I have gone to both Novice & Expert farmhands and they don't sell the recipe to grow the crop, and no vendors I've found sell it. I'm sure there's a simple answer to my problem, but I'm clueless about many things in this game. Can someone help me please?
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi! You don't have to buy it. You already have it (in your farming panel).

A helpful site is lotro-wiki.com : For example you can find a list of farming recipes and outcomes at https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Far...e_Recipe_Index

Thanks in advance!
    According to the wiki, you buy the “spring barley field” recipe from the novice or expert farmhand vendor:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...y_Field_Recipe

If it isn’t showing up, do you have a filter on in the shop window that is stopping you seeing all the items?
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by LightGatherer View Post

A helpful site is lotro-wiki.com : For example you can find a list of farming recipes and outcomes at https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Far...e_Recipe_Index
    Never mind

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LightGatherer View Post

Thanks! You've really helped me out here!

Yet another stupid novice question

Hey folks! Just learning my crafts at the moment, and have a tailor's question that someone might be able to help me out with. Nearly all of the tailor's recipes need Brushed Light Leather, and I'm yet again clueless as to how to get this. I see I have tailor's recipes that make brushed light leather out of leather pads, binding, and shavings, but again, I don't know how to get these. Can someone please help me out in getting Brushed Light Leather? There's probably an easy answer to this problem and I hope someone can help me solve it.
    Thanks in advance!

Hey folks! Just learning my crafts at the moment, and have a tailor's question that someone might be able to help me out with. Nearly all of the tailor's recipes need Brushed Light Leather, and I'm yet again clueless as to how to get this. I see I have tailor's recipes that make brushed light leather out of leather pads, binding, and shavings, but again, I don't know how to get these. Can someone please help me out in getting Brushed Light Leather? There's probably an easy answer to this problem and I hope someone can help me solve it.
    Thanks in advance!
    Hunt wolves, they drop light hides. Take the hides to the workbench and turn them into brushed light leather. Oh, didn't ask, is your tailor an Explorer? If not, you will have to have a forester make you the hides.
    "Lead me, follow me, but get out of my way!"

Okay, Tea, I see by actually READING back a little, that you have a yeoman. So, you need someone to make you brushed light leather, a forester. Tell me what server you are on, and what the character's name is, I can mail you some unless you are on a German or French server. I don't have a presence there. Of course, if I don't see your post here for a while it won't be a very quick reaction on my part but I am always willing to help. You can find me on 7 of the servers as Willowgrey, just drop me some mail if you need something.
    Last edited by Ghost_Archer; Yesterday at 08:09 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Archer View Post
    Okay, Tea, I see by actually READING back a little, that you have a yeoman. So, you need someone to make you brushed light leather, a forester. Tell me what server you are on, and what the character's name is, I can mail you some unless you are on a German or French server. I don't have a presence there. Of course, if I don't see your post here for a while it won't be a very quick reaction on my part but I am always willing to help. You can find me on 7 of the servers as Willowgrey, just drop me some mail if you need something.
    Thanks for your help man! I play on Crickhollow and the character's name is Aquandir

Question Question on naming new High Elf character

Greetings, fellow denizens of Middle-Earth.

Recently, I downloaded the client and am currently attempting to come up with a suitable Sindarin name for a new High Elf (most likely Lore Master, although possibly Rune Keeper) character that properly reflects the etymology of the original English name of that character; however, I am experiencing some difficulties in attempting to find a proper Sindarin translation of the original English name.

Specifically, the original English name, which I am attempting to translate into a proper Sindarin counterpart, is "Lyserg Diethel." I do not wish to use this name itself, however, because it does not fit into the Tolkienesque world of LOTRO.

According to the original story behind Lyserg, he is the son of father Liam Diethel and mother Jane Diethel. Liam was a famous detective who used the art of dowsing as a tool, and had a pet fairy, Morphine. I prefer to use the name of this specific character as a base for the corresponding Sindarin name because this character shares certain personality traits and history with myself.

Apparently, although Elves do not usually have last names, it is still possible to use the first name of the Elf's father combined with the suffix "ion" to create a last name that still fits into the Tolkienesque world. Given the fact that Lyserg's father's name was "Liam," I was thus able to derive the last name "Liamion."

However, I am having great difficulty in coming up with a suitable first name that properly reflects the etymology of the name "Lyserg." The problem is that the name "Lyserg Diethel" ultimately derives from "lysergic acid diethylamide," which is a drug; however, this substance does not have a name in Sindarin. Furthermore, this substance is referred to, in the vernacular, as "acid"; however, apparently, "acid" does not have a translation into Sindarin, either.

Would anyone be able to come up with a proper Sindarin version of the English name "Lyserg Diethel?"

(For reference, I have been referring to the article "Sindarin - the Noble Tongue" (see https://folk.uib.no/hnohf/sindarin.htm) and the Sindarin-English online dictionary "Hisweloke - Sindarin English dictionary" (see https://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sind...e/english.html) as bases for creating a Sindarin version of my character's English name.)

Addendum:

After some research, I managed to come across a post (see https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...25#post7343325) in a thread, entitled "Sindarin Name - Suffix merging and correct grammar help?," on the LOTR Forum that referenced the following conversion rules for the "male person" suffix "dir" (see "Blogging into Mordor: Finding the perfect name for your Elf" (see https://www.engadget.com/2008/06/15/...r-your-elf/)):

> VOWEL + dîr = -nir
    > R, L, or M + dîr = -dir
    > MM + dîr = -mdir (it replaces the MM at the end)
    > N, NN, or NT + dîr = -ndir (it replaces those consonants at the end)
    > D + dîr = -ir
    > G + dîr = -nir
    > Don't combine with SS, ST, V, W, TH, DH, CH, or PH.

Together with the "ion" suffix above, this yielded the following possible alternatives:

Lysernir Diethelion [Lyserg-male-person, son of Diethel]
    Lysernir Liamion [Lyserg-male-person, son of Liam]

Personally, I prefer the sound of "Lysernir Diethelion" to that of "Lysernir Liamion"; however, if it does not make sense etymologically, I would prefer "Lysernir Liamion." Would "Lysernir Diethelion" qualify as a potential Sindarin High Elf name? Would "Lysernir Liamion" make more sense etymologically?

Incidentally, when shall I be allowed to create a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Forsteel View Post
    Greetings, fellow denizens of Middle-Earth.

Recently, I downloaded the client and am currently attempting to come up with a suitable Sindarin name for a new High Elf (most likely Lore Master, although possibly Rune Keeper) character that properly reflects the etymology of the original English name of that character; however, I am experiencing some difficulties in attempting to find a proper Sindarin translation of the original English name.

Specifically, the original English name, which I am attempting to translate into a proper Sindarin counterpart, is "Lyserg Diethel." I do not wish to use this name itself, however, because it does not fit into the Tolkienesque world of LOTRO.

According to the original story behind Lyserg, he is the son of father Liam Diethel and mother Jane Diethel. Liam was a famous detective who used the art of dowsing as a tool, and had a pet fairy, Morphine. I prefer to use the name of this specific character as a base for the corresponding Sindarin name because this character shares certain personality traits and history with myself.

Apparently, although Elves do not usually have last names, it is still possible to use the first name of the Elf's father combined with the suffix "ion" to create a last name that still fits into the Tolkienesque world. Given the fact that Lyserg's father's name was "Liam," I was thus able to derive the last name "Liamion."

However, I am having great difficulty in coming up with a suitable first name that properly reflects the etymology of the name "Lyserg." The problem is that the name "Lyserg Diethel" ultimately derives from "lysergic acid diethylamide," which is a drug; however, this substance does not have a name in Sindarin. Furthermore, this substance is referred to, in the vernacular, as "acid"; however, apparently, "acid" does not have a translation into Sindarin, either.

Would anyone be able to come up with a proper Sindarin version of the English name "Lyserg Diethel?"

(For reference, I have been referring to the article "Sindarin - the Noble Tongue" (see https://folk.uib.no/hnohf/sindarin.htm) and the Sindarin-English online dictionary "Hisweloke - Sindarin English dictionary" (see https://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sind...e/english.html) as bases for creating a Sindarin version of my character's English name.)

Addendum:

After some research, I managed to come across a post (see https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...25#post7343325) in a thread, entitled "Sindarin Name - Suffix merging and correct grammar help?," on the LOTR Forum that referenced the following conversion rules for the "male person" suffix "dir" (see "Blogging into Mordor: Finding the perfect name for your Elf" (see https://www.engadget.com/2008/06/15/...r-your-elf/)):

> VOWEL + dîr = -nir
    > R, L, or M + dîr = -dir
    > MM + dîr = -mdir (it replaces the MM at the end)
    > N, NN, or NT + dîr = -ndir (it replaces those consonants at the end)
    > D + dîr = -ir
    > G + dîr = -nir
    > Don't combine with SS, ST, V, W, TH, DH, CH, or PH.

Together with the "ion" suffix above, this yielded the following possible alternatives:

Lysernir Diethelion [Lyserg-male-person, son of Diethel]
    Lysernir Liamion [Lyserg-male-person, son of Liam]

Personally, I prefer the sound of "Lysernir Diethelion" to that of "Lysernir Liamion"; however, if it does not make sense etymologically, I would prefer "Lysernir Liamion." Would "Lysernir Diethelion" qualify as a potential Sindarin High Elf name? Would "Lysernir Liamion" make more sense etymologically?

Incidentally, when shall I be allowed to create a new thread?
    Hi and welcome to the game!

I like the first choice. "Liamion" sounds too much like your name is Liam and you've tried to make it sound like an elf name. "Diethelion" sounds more authentic.

You won't be able to add the surname until level 15. Then, you will need to find a notary to do so. There is one at the Bree Town Hall, among other locations.

As for making new threads, now that you have posted here, it should be only a day or two before your account gets opened up. They just want to make sure you aren't a bot or a spammer.

Enjoy your time in Middle Earth!

Thanks for your help man! I play on Crickhollow and the character's name is Aquandir
    What I did to get around the problem was create several characters, and pick their craft options to maximise what I could craft myself; this after finding myself in the same situation you are in.

There are far too many quests in the game to manage all of them and stay anywhere near level in most areas; so after Breeland, I sent one to the Lonelands, one to North Downs, one to The Shire etc; not meeting up again until Moria.
    Last edited by Yarbro; Today at 04:52 AM.

Sent you a hundred brush light leather and a couple of bows.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38