We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84
Results 2,076 to 2,086 of 2086
    Somewhat a shame that such precautions are necessary, but certainly sensible for the overall community's sake.

The reason for these measures?

Several years (2016 - 2017) ago there were several; months long periods of gold spammers and the infamous Love Doctor Baba ji, (search terms: LOTRO Baba ji). Like a bad, infectious rash he was very difficult to get rid of. What worked, this forum - every newbie to LOTRO is restricted to it as are inactive forum accounts of long time members.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Clicking active box dialogues without mouse

Hi all,

I've just started playing, and the end goal is to teach someone who recently lost use of her right/dominant hand how to play with a specialized mouse. I've been re-mapping keys and barely beginning gameplay, when I hit a snag. In the tutorials - and almost certainly in the game - smaller windows come up to tell you what's going on or give you hints. They often have buttons at the bottom that say "continue quest." If I use escape and close the active window without hitting "Continue Quest," I cannot move forward in the game. Is there a key, hotkey, or set of keys that I can use to highlight and accept the words at the bottom of these active windows? What works on my pc (alts, functions, shifts, etc) doesn't seem to be working in this game.

Thank you,
    Dani

Windows has an accessibility feature that auto selects the default button in a window, if the window was programmed for it. This toggle can be found in Mouse Properties, Snap To feature.

Now will this setting work for LOTRO windows, I do not know.

Hope this helps and extend our Welcome to LOTRO to young lady.

And to you, Welcome to LOTRO.
    Last edited by Gandolf_TheOld; Sep 20 2020 at 02:33 PM.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Hello,

after a long period of time I started to play LOTRO again.

I play atm 2 Chars. A Beo and a Burglar. Both make a lot of fun.

Beo I play as Healer and Burglar as DD/Support. Because I only have limited Time I wont be able to level both Chars and equip them. So I got to choose which will be my main Char.

I know both Chars are viable in Raids and Inis. So my Question is:

Is a Beo-Healer or a Burglar DD/Support more needed

Whats your Opinion?
    Last edited by Maradur; Sep 21 2020 at 07:52 AM.

Hi, new player here, or hoping to be. I played this game sparingly quite a long time ago, probably right when it went free to play but only played briefly because I simply didn't have time back then between work and having 2 toddlers to raise. The boys are now older, one a senior in HS and the other starting college and I am single now also so have more time on my hands so really looking forward to giving this another try. Problem is I have a Macbook pro and although I have read that this game can be played on Mac, when I downloaded it from steam I get a message that says my version of os, Catalina apparently no longer supports 32bit applications so I can't run it. It's a work Macbook so I can't change the os to an earlier version even if I wanted to. My PC based laptop is just too out of date so I ordered a new laptop today which will arrive tomorrow. But I know it comes with Windows 10 and when I browsed this forum before I seem to recall seeing posts saying there can be issues with running this on Windows 10 computers. Are there any tips like for instance not downloading it from Steam but rather from here?

Anyway, thanks for any replies. Can't wait to jump into this game but feeling nervous about having issues getting it up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by RG1 View Post
    But I know it comes with Windows 10 and when I browsed this forum before I seem to recall seeing posts saying there can be issues with running this on Windows 10 computers. Are there any tips like for instance not downloading it from Steam but rather from here?

Anyway, thanks for any replies. Can't wait to jump into this game but feeling nervous about having issues getting it up and running.
    Some people have reported problems with the Steam install, yes. So doing it from here may be better. One thing you may have to do on Windows 10 is install the DirectX Runtimes from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...ils.aspx?id=35

If you do run into problems this thread may help - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Some people have reported problems with the Steam install, yes. So doing it from here may be better. One thing you may have to do on Windows 10 is install the DirectX Runtimes from here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...ils.aspx?id=35

If you do run into problems this thread may help - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All
    Thanks a lot. With any luck I will be up and playing tomorrow evening.

Any advice on which server for an admittedly poor gamer like myself? I heard the community is patient and friendly for the most part in this game, but is there a particular server I should pick? Also I'm thinking of going for a guardian. I think I need one of the basic skill rated classes because of the above and I read that guardian is a good class for solo players, although I've also read that any class can be leveled to near max level. I'm going to start FTP but expect I'll go VIP after not too long.

Thanks a lot. With any luck I will be up and playing tomorrow evening.

Any advice on which server for an admittedly poor gamer like myself? I heard the community is patient and friendly for the most part in this game, but is there a particular server I should pick? Also I'm thinking of going for a guardian. I think I need one of the basic skill rated classes because of the above and I read that guardian is a good class for solo players, although I've also read that any class can be leveled to near max level. I'm going to start FTP but expect I'll go VIP after not too long.
    I'd recommend one of the Roleplay friendly servers. That would be Landroval if you are in the US and Laurelin if in EU. Servers are all in one data center now, but the peak population during prime time is dependent on the old US vs EU distinction. I only mention the RP servers because the communities are a little friendlier and spout less "learn 2 play n00b" trash talk if you ask a question in world chat, but even that kind of response is typically followed by multiple people giving helpful answers followed by someone telling you to go look it up in the wiki ( lotro-wiki.com ) and then it turns into an argument between the helpful answer people and the look it up people and someone starts in with politics until they get drowned out by people talking about bacon. Meanwhile someone sent you a tell and has explained it all and you've gone on your merry way having fun.

Welcome to LOTRO!

For your first character I'd recommend a Hunter rather than a Guardian. Hunter is just as basic as Guardian despite what the descriptions say. Every class starts out with only a few skills so there's no complexity at all. You gain a new skill every couple of levels on average so you have plenty of time to learn each one before gaining a new one. Here's the benefits of being a Hunter:

1. You fight at range. Often you can kill the enemy before it can run up to hit you.
    2. Hunter does excellent single target damage.
    3. At level 12 (I think) you gain a skill that makes you move faster outside of combat so you get places faster.
    4. Some of the skills you earn are porting skills so you can quickly return to some of the major early hubs instead of running back or taking a stable ride.

If you want to try out crafting then you should take the Explorer vocation. This gives you the Prospector, Forester, and Tailor professions. You will be able to mine and smelt ore into ingots as a Prospector, harvest wood and make boards as a Forester as well as process hides from killing animals, and use the leather from the hides to make your own armor. (You could make one or more additional characters just for crafting to make weapons or jewelry with all those boards and ingots.)

I was a poor gamer when I started out many moons ago and I kinda regretted starting with a Guardian because I found the going too slow. I had no trouble surviving but it took a long time to kill things. After about 15 levels I made a Hunter and really enjoying running around much faster and being able to start fights without having to run all the way up to the target. I soon got the hang of judging distances so that I only engaged one enemy at a time, in most cases.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Edit: The roleplay servers don't require you to do any RP at all, and much of the RP take place in specific venues like Inns and certain public spaces. You can certainly pop in to hear a poetry recital or stand around and listen to a band playing Stairway to Freebird or whatever but there's no need to get involved if you're not interested.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    I'd recommend one of the Roleplay friendly servers. That would be Landroval if you are in the US and Laurelin if in EU. Servers are all in one data center now, but the peak population during prime time is dependent on the old US vs EU distinction. I only mention the RP servers because the communities are a little friendlier and spout less "learn 2 play n00b" trash talk if you ask a question in world chat, but even that kind of response is typically followed by multiple people giving helpful answers followed by someone telling you to go look it up in the wiki ( lotro-wiki.com ) and then it turns into an argument between the helpful answer people and the look it up people and someone starts in with politics until they get drowned out by people talking about bacon. Meanwhile someone sent you a tell and has explained it all and you've gone on your merry way having fun.

Welcome to LOTRO!

For your first character I'd recommend a Hunter rather than a Guardian. Hunter is just as basic as Guardian despite what the descriptions say. Every class starts out with only a few skills so there's no complexity at all. You gain a new skill every couple of levels on average so you have plenty of time to learn each one before gaining a new one. Here's the benefits of being a Hunter:

1. You fight at range. Often you can kill the enemy before it can run up to hit you.
    2. Hunter does excellent single target damage.
    3. At level 12 (I think) you gain a skill that makes you move faster outside of combat so you get places faster.
    4. Some of the skills you earn are porting skills so you can quickly return to some of the major early hubs instead of running back or taking a stable ride.

If you want to try out crafting then you should take the Explorer vocation. This gives you the Prospector, Forester, and Tailor professions. You will be able to mine and smelt ore into ingots as a Prospector, harvest wood and make boards as a Forester as well as process hides from killing animals, and use the leather from the hides to make your own armor. (You could make one or more additional characters just for crafting to make weapons or jewelry with all those boards and ingots.)

I was a poor gamer when I started out many moons ago and I kinda regretted starting with a Guardian because I found the going too slow. I had no trouble surviving but it took a long time to kill things. After about 15 levels I made a Hunter and really enjoying running around much faster and being able to start fights without having to run all the way up to the target. I soon got the hang of judging distances so that I only engaged one enemy at a time, in most cases.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Edit: The roleplay servers don't require you to do any RP at all, and much of the RP take place in specific venues like Inns and certain public spaces. You can certainly pop in to hear a poetry recital or stand around and listen to a band playing Stairway to Freebird or whatever but there's no need to get involved if you're not interested.
    Thanks for the great detailed post. Very helpful. My computer arrived yesterday but I didn't have time to fire it up and download the game so will hopefully get time tonight.

Hunter sounds good. I will give that a shot. I just worry that I will be a little too squishy and have a hard time staying alive in situations with multiple mobs like solo dungeons, etc. I did read that the yellow line of traits (which I don't really understand but assume will become more obvious in game and probably not for many levels anyway) does have CC skills which sounds like it could be very helpful for a Hunter.

One thing I forgot to ask about. I really prefer being able to track since I spend a great deal of time lost and trying to figure out where I am and where I'm going. I'm sure if any class gets track hunters do. Can everyone track, no one, or is it a skill only certain classes get?

Thanks for the great detailed post. Very helpful. My computer arrived yesterday but I didn't have time to fire it up and download the game so will hopefully get time tonight.

Hunter sounds good. I will give that a shot. I just worry that I will be a little too squishy and have a hard time staying alive in situations with multiple mobs like solo dungeons, etc. I did read that the yellow line of traits (which I don't really understand but assume will become more obvious in game and probably not for many levels anyway) does have CC skills which sounds like it could be very helpful for a Hunter.

One thing I forgot to ask about. I really prefer being able to track since I spend a great deal of time lost and trying to figure out where I am and where I'm going. I'm sure if any class gets track hunters do. Can everyone track, no one, or is it a skill only certain classes get?
    Hunters are the only ones with tracking skills. Three separate skills for three broad categories (animals, humanoids, and monsters) that share one cooldown timer. These are of no use when lost. They just allow you to select one target and put a red dot on the radar circle to point you toward it. Very useful for quests where you must kill 10 thingies and they are all mixed in with whatsits and whozies and hard to spot. You can mark a quest (up to 5) to help you get an arrow to a quest target which will point back to the quest giver after you complete it. Marked quests will also show in various ways on the map, either with a ring for a point target or a color shading for an area where you'll find the thingies you need to kill 10 of.

Yellow line (Trapper of Foes) does have several trap skills for CC, but it's mostly played as a novelty. There is one Set Trap default skill that you'll get at level 3, so you'll always be able to handle two mobs. In Red Line, your Strength stance will make Quick Shot slow the target by 40% as well as boost all damage, so you end up with a rotation of: Set Trap, step back a pace or two, then Quick Shot at one mob which now runs slowly toward you. Other mob runs to trap and gets stuck while you finish killing mob 1. All those Quick Shots have built up your Focus so you can now unleash higher damage attacks that require focus on the trapped mob. Also with Red Line, you will get Pinning Shot at level 6. That needs 3 Focus points and will root a mob for 5 seconds. That helps you handle a third mob.

When you reach the level 20 neighborhood you get some more very helpful default skills. Blood Arrow does decent damage and heals 10% of your morale. Cry of the Hunter fears an adjacent mob and gives you a morale bonus (aka bubble) for a bit. Bard's Arrow is a ranged fear. Finally, if things really go pear shaped, Desperate Flight takes you instantly to the nearest rez circle without having to go through the inconvenience of dying.

Hunters are not really squishy. You can't wade into melee and expect to survive, but it's quite easy to shoot your way in and out of areas. After a couple dozen hours of play you'll acquire a good feel for how far mobs have to be separated before you can shoot one down without the other joining in. Once you get that first hit in without drawing nearby mobs' attention then they will ignore you even if they walk right up to your pincushion in progress.

Some more general tips:

1. Always upgrade to a bow/crossbow with a higher DPS number when you find one. Your best defense if piling up corpses at range. Note that damage types other than Common damage, such as Fire, Light, Ancient Dwarf, etc. do from 5% to 20% more damage. Thus a Fire damage bow with 19 DPS is better than a Common damage 20 DPS. Even 18 Fire would be equal or better, depending on the target.

2. If your camera view suddenly goes all wonky then you've accidentally hit the X key and toggled from fixed camera to follow-the-target. This will inevitably happen during combat. Press X again to make it stop. Later, go into Options - Key Mapping and null out the definition for the X key.

3. You can buy healing potions and food from NPC vendors as well as finding them in loot. Drag from inventory to a hotkey for quick access.

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84