We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86
Results 2,126 to 2,128 of 2128
    New to lotro and have questions about how to purchase the game. So I v looked on the store and I didn't get if there is a way to just buy the whole game. Like u can do in wow. U buy the latest expansion and get all the previous ones. It s kind of confusing . So if I want to buy EVERYTHING ) . What should I buy and in what order? 10x in advance. Also. If I get 1month of VIP, do I get access to expansions as well?
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Erialodo View Post
    New to lotro and have questions about how to purchase the game. So I v looked on the store and I didn't get if there is a way to just buy the whole game. Like u can do in wow. U buy the latest expansion and get all the previous ones. It s kind of confusing . So if I want to buy EVERYTHING ) . What should I buy and in what order? 10x in advance. Also. If I get 1month of VIP, do I get access to expansions as well?
    Each expansion must be purchased. Nothing cumulative, unfortunately. (A purchase is actually an unlock not an additional install.)

Then, there are also the regional quest packs, which are the areas in between expansions. VIPs have access to all of these while VIP, but that stops when VIP expires. These can also be purchased from the in-game store using LOTRO Points (LP), which can be purchased with cash or gained (excruciatingly slowly) by completing deeds in the game.

Still here? Good.

Right now the expansions are all on sale at the Lotro Market (above) under Previous Expansions. Here's what you'd need to buy there:

1. Expansion quad pack ($20) - this is the first 4 expacs in a bundle.
    2. Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, Helm's Deep ($10 each)
    3. Mordor standard edition ($20)
    4. Minas Morgul standard edition ($26)

From the new Market link:

5. War of Three Peaks standard edition ($20)

That's all the expansions for a total of $116 during the current sale. (Yes, that last one is not much of an expansion and most of us call it a region.) Now for quest packs. These are all sold in the in-game store for LP. The cost of LP is approximately $1 per 100, but if purchased in larger quantities it can drop to as low as $1 per 150. Note that expansions can be purchased in-game for LP and you can buy just the quests for expansions for a lower price in LP.

1. Eriador bundle about 1000 LP (75% discount right now).
    2. All the quest packs for level 60 or higher, which will run roughly 12,000 LP total

So that's roughly another $130 and we're up to $246.

Finally, you want to buy VIP for one month ($15) and log in every character for an instant in order to unlock the permanent VIP perks because those perks cost about $20 per character when purchased from the store for LP.

Grand total: $261

And now you can play LOTRO for a long time.

Why is this such a mess? Because LOTRO was a sub-only plus expac game converted to a hybrid free-to-play in order to boost numbers so the owners could sell to Warner and then milked to fund a bunch of pointless other game projects that went down the tubes taking cash with them as they drained out into Boston Harbor until Warner dumped LOTRO and DDO to concentrate on mobile games and Daybreak picked them up but now a Swedish company has bought them and who knows what will happen next year. (Whaddaya mean that's confusing? Wait until I start drinking. )

But anyway, there's a price list for ya. Now, for some free advice on what to buy:

A. Get the xpacs listed in 1-4 above at the current 50% off sale ($96)
    B. Buy either 3150 LP for $35 or 6300 for $60 in the in-game store.
    C. Buy the Eriador bundle for 1000 LP.
    D. Buy the Premium Wallet for 1000 LP (this is account wide. stores a bunch of different tokens in a separate wallet instead of clogging your inventory)
    E. Buy a month of VIP ($15) and create max number of characters and log them each in for a second.

So that total is $146 or $171 and you'll have enough content to level characters to the current cap (130) with spare LP to buy a regional quest pack here or there as you might wish to fill in a gap or play in an area of interest. You will also earn LP from deeds in every single area and will rack up a couple thousand per character that reaches 130. It's really just taking advantage of the current sales and putting off future purchases until needed or until you see a nice sale over the next year.

Hope that helps. Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Welcome to LOTRO! I'm a pretty new player myself, I started in August 2020. Please have a read of this starter guide by Thornelas, it helped me tremendously:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...hints-and-tips
    It should be a sticky, but it isn't. And the existing sticky threads are very out-of-date, ignore them.

If I get 1month of VIP, do I get access to expansions as well?
    No. VIP has a lot of benefits, but you still need to get the expansions if you want that content. The first expansion you would need to buy would be Moria but even that's for Level 50+ so you really don't need to worry about expansions right away unless you want to take advantage of something that's on sale before you need it.

VIP does give you access to all quests and instances and skirmishes and so forth that are not part of expansions which would otherwise require you to purchase to get access to those things with LOTRO points. For example, the Eriador Bundle (which happens to be on sale right now at 75% off) includes a very large amount of zones for questing which you would probably find fun to play between the totally free starter zones and Moria. You could purchase the Eriador Bundle and play the quests in those areas with a completely free account (Free-To-Play often abbreviated F2P) or a Premium account (the account status of someone who was VIP at one time but does not currently have a VIP subscription; or who was never VIP but has paid real cash money for something rather than LOTRO points). A VIP subscription gives you access to all the quests and other content in those zones without having to purchase the Eriador Bundle or any of its components, as long as you maintain your VIP subscription.

Note that even a F2P account that has never earned or purchased a single LOTRO point or spent a single real dollar for the game can go to any zone and kill things there. You can even play what's known as the "epic quest line" that way but no other quests past the starter zones. If you want full access to quests and so forth, you need to either purchase each zone with LOTRO points or be VIP. And when you get to something that's part of an expansion such as Moria you need to purchase the expansion (which usually can be done with either LOTRO points or cash).

So I v looked on the store and I didn't get if there is a way to just buy the whole game. Like u can do in wow. U buy the latest expansion and get all the previous ones. It s kind of confusing . So if I want to buy EVERYTHING ) . What should I buy and in what order? 10x in advance.
    No, you can't really do that. If you want EVERTHING you need to maintain a VIP subscription (which is like the WoW monthly sub) plus purchase all the expansions. VIP is great, you get a lot more than just access to content, so that's worth it – at least a month to give things a try and to create a bunch of characters and get them their VIP unlocks (a lot of useful things get unlocked for a character that you play – for even a second – while your VIP sub is active which otherwise require LOTRO points to unlock). Don't worry about buying anything else until you've played past the starter zones. Then, if you get a character to 50 and are still enjoying the game, buy the Moria expansion. If you decide you want to keep playing but are OK with dropping your VIP sub and letting your account drop down to Premium status, just use the in-game LOTRO points – which can be earned by doing things in the game as well as purchased with real money – to buy the zones you want to play through.

Do be aware that various things go on sale at semi-random times so if you like the game and plan to keep playing keep your eyes peeled and buy what you want when it's on sale. For example, I don't have a character anywhere near the right level yet but the Minas Morgul expansion is currently on sale in the real-money store (known as the Market) for 35% off so I just bought that so I can play it with my characters when they are level appropriate. But to start, just create your account and do F2P for at least a few days before you decide to spend any money.

For your first real-money expenditure, I recommend a month of VIP which is $15 (less if you buy 6 months or a year at a time instead of a single month). For your second, I recommend the $10 Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack which as far as I know is available only at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUHVOW2
    1- It will give all your characters a mount earlier and easier than almost any other way to get a mount, mounts are both fun to use and make travel a lot faster.
    2- It will give all your characters 15 extra inventory slots (i.e. "bag slots").
    3- It will remove the currency cap for all your characters.
    4- Since it's a real-money purchase, if your account is still F2P it will be upgraded to Premium.
    If you want those things, it's the most efficient way in terms of cash/LOTRO points to get those things. The only exception is if you plan to buy and then spend a giant bucket of LOTRO points right away before you've played the game very much in which case some of those things will get superseded by those purchases – but for a brand new player who doesn't want to go all-in with $$$ before trying the game out thoroughly, this is a fantastic deal.

edit: And while I don't 100% agree with Nosdracir here as I'd recommend trying out F2P before spending a penny (and then proceeding more cautiously unless a couple of c-notes is nothing to you should the game not be to your liking), he is a treasure and everything he wrote deserves your consideration. Thanks, Nosdracir!

Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86