We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Results 626 to 650 of 889
  1. #626
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Optharo View Post
    I do - or else I would able to post in any forum I'd like the minute I register my account, right?

    And the link you provided explicitly talks about a new account being unlocked within a few days up to 1 week - which means it's common practise to not give a customer immediate access to the whole forum.
    PM Cordovan and explain that you're VIP and you get unlocked.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  2. #627
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Optharo View Post
    So a paying customer has to put up with this ridiculous procedure of accumulating forums posts before I'm allowed to post on the whole forum - and in the meantime the forum gets spammed from time to time and I get daily gold spammers in /world chat?

    Punish the paying customer while not doing a thing about spammers: sounds like a model for success.
    This is not accurate. We do have a small waiting period after a forum account first logs in before they are able to post outside of New Player Questions and Impressions. This is done to curb spamming and trolling, among other things. No minimum post count is required to post.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  3. #628
    Hey,
    I am a new player , huge Tolkien fan, never really gave a shot to this game though, but am willing to try. I had a few questions and wondered if you guys can help me out. I tried researching a bit, and made a character, but it would be nice to see your input if possible. Here are my questions:

    1. Is the game active? Big part of me playing mmos is actually getting to talk to people and having foolish joking fun. Coming from the most populated mmorpg, it would be strange to run over zones and cities without any players in it.
    2. Is the game newbie friendly? Will I be able to get to the level of players who played the game for years. Keep in mind - I don't care about looks, all I care about is stats, being able to perform on the level of other players.
    3. How is the end game aka raiding, dungeons, funny activities to do when not raiding.
    4. Is it too much of a p2w? I am willing to spend money if I like the game, but an endless cash drain is not really to my taste.
    5. Is there any sort of pvp? And if-yes is it active/competitive?
    6. How is the community? Friendly or more dismissive?
    7. I am used to playing Healing/Supporting classes and wanted to know if all of the available ones are viable at end game and actually can perform whats needed from them?
    8. Which would be a decent server to start off? (connected to point 1).

    Thank you in advance for the help!

  4. #629
    Quote Originally Posted by SRoam View Post
    Hey,
    I am a new player , huge Tolkien fan, never really gave a shot to this game though, but am willing to try. I had a few questions and wondered if you guys can help me out. I tried researching a bit, and made a character, but it would be nice to see your input if possible. Here are my questions:

    1. Is the game active? Big part of me playing mmos is actually getting to talk to people and having foolish joking fun. Coming from the most populated mmorpg, it would be strange to run over zones and cities without any players in it.
    2. Is the game newbie friendly? Will I be able to get to the level of players who played the game for years. Keep in mind - I don't care about looks, all I care about is stats, being able to perform on the level of other players.
    3. How is the end game aka raiding, dungeons, funny activities to do when not raiding.
    4. Is it too much of a p2w? I am willing to spend money if I like the game, but an endless cash drain is not really to my taste.
    5. Is there any sort of pvp? And if-yes is it active/competitive?
    6. How is the community? Friendly or more dismissive?
    7. I am used to playing Healing/Supporting classes and wanted to know if all of the available ones are viable at end game and actually can perform whats needed from them?
    8. Which would be a decent server to start off? (connected to point 1).

    Thank you in advance for the help!

    First of all, WELCOME to Lotro!! Always great to see new player coming in! Now, on to your questions.


    1.Yes, though we're not as big as some of the other MMOs out there. The map size of Lotro is also much bigger than many MMOs, so you may not SEE as many players running around as you may be used to; and in towns, Lotro uses a layer system to help keep the lag down as much as possible, but World Chat is very active and vocal, at least on my server of Gladden. We love to talk and joke around; all servers have trolls, but Gladden doesn't have too many. I would recommend making some "trial" toons on different servers and testing the social waters with those to find a good fit for you.

    2. The game is VERY newbie friendly. I would personally recommend going VIP for at least one month and logging your character(s) in at least once during VIP to unlock a lot of permanent perks, such as Quick Travel ability, Virtues, Currency Cap removal, and some other things. Most Trait Tree points and Virtues (equip-able passive stats) are acquired by doing Slayer/Quest/Exploration Deeds or by lvling your character.

    3. Don't know a lot about the end-game scene since I'm not much of a raider, but I see people putting together runs on WC all the time. The best way to enjoy something like that is to find a Kin (Guild) that does that stuff.

    4. No, there is very little in the store that will help you "win" at this game. A few XP boosts and some higher lvl Stat tomes that don't drop in game (but by the time you've got several K of a stat, what's +15 more going to do for you?), and that's about it as far as player progression help.

    5. Lotro isn't that big on PvP or PvMP (Player vs Monster Player on here, also called Freeps and Creeps); but there are still Kins (see my advice above) that are involved in it. Arkenstone seems to be the biggest raiding/PvMP server, but it's also the most Troll-y one right now, too. Sorry, I'm not trying to hate on Arky, just saying it like I saw it on there.

    6. Depends on the server, that's why I recommended you to make "trial" toons to check the different servers out, but most servers are very/pretty friendly.

    7. Main/best healer in Lotro is the Minstrel; a Runekeeper can either do good DPS or heal pretty well, but that class has to be either bought from the store or bought with the Mines of Moria xpac. Loremasters are great support toons, doing CC, stuns/mezzes, and being the group's battery pack (restoring power to other group members). Burglar is also a good support class, specializing in debuffs and sneak attacks. All classes definitely have something to offer at end game, but Burgs tend to be the least requested (at least in WC, I've not played a Burg myself to end game), but Mini's, RK's, or LM's are always in demand.

    8. Gladden, of course!!

    Hope this helps!! Glad you're here!

  5. #630
    Wow,

    Hey , thanks for your answers. Really helped a lot. I also wanted to ask regarding the expansions and purchasing the content of the game. How does that work? Do I have to buy all previous expansions or only the latest one? Can I level without purchasing them?

  6. #631
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by SRoam View Post
    Hey,
    I am a new player , huge Tolkien fan, never really gave a shot to this game though, but am willing to try. I had a few questions and wondered if you guys can help me out. I tried researching a bit, and made a character, but it would be nice to see your input if possible. Here are my questions:

    1. Is the game active? Big part of me playing mmos is actually getting to talk to people and having foolish joking fun. Coming from the most populated mmorpg, it would be strange to run over zones and cities without any players in it.
    2. Is the game newbie friendly? Will I be able to get to the level of players who played the game for years. Keep in mind - I don't care about looks, all I care about is stats, being able to perform on the level of other players.
    3. How is the end game aka raiding, dungeons, funny activities to do when not raiding.
    4. Is it too much of a p2w? I am willing to spend money if I like the game, but an endless cash drain is not really to my taste.
    5. Is there any sort of pvp? And if-yes is it active/competitive?
    6. How is the community? Friendly or more dismissive?
    7. I am used to playing Healing/Supporting classes and wanted to know if all of the available ones are viable at end game and actually can perform whats needed from them?
    8. Which would be a decent server to start off? (connected to point 1).

    Thank you in advance for the help!
    1. Yes.

    2. Yes, but it can take some time. Level cap is 115. Very easy to solo to 105 but there's a jump in difficulty to 106 and later. There's a lot of old end game levels (50 60 65 75 85 95 100) that have grinds that you can skip or just play once for the story.

    3. Someone else will have to answer this in more detail. Some are happy and some unhappy with it.

    4. Loot boxes at 115. You can grind for them or do without, so you can avoid the P2W just by playing. Others will pay.

    5. Yes, PvP. It's actually Player vs Monster Player. You can make a Goblin Reaver and other chars to play the bad guy side of PvMP is a restricted area. Can't run all over the world. It's unbalanced. I don't play it, so no idea which side is OP this month.

    6. Probably one of the friendliest MMO communities. Lots of older Tolkien fans who enjoy the story rather than competitive MMO play. Excellent music system. Even when global chat is getting rude and argumentative, both sides will stop and give a reasonable answer to the newb question, then resume bickering.

    7. Minstrel is completely viable healer at end game. Also a good nuker in DPS mode while soloing and levelling up. Rune-Keeper has lost some of it's healing prowess at current end game. Captain (kinda like a Paladin, kinda) is decent small group heals. Welcome at end game not just for spot heal, but also buffs and general toughness due to hvy armor - still klinda of a jack of all trades that enhances the group even though it seems mediocre in any one area.

    8. Uh, yeah. Arkenstone and Brandywine have the highest populations. Gladden next probably. Landroval is roleplay encouraged but not required, but don't go crashing the poetry recital in the inn. Crickhollow has lowest population, but is recommended for new players so will have a higher low level pop. (Did that make sense?) Evernight is EU English and crowded while Laurelin is EU RP encouraged English. The other three servers are French and German speaking.


    You can buy level boost in the in-game store that will take you to level 50, 95, or 105. The first two still require you to grind out deeds to improve your character. The deeds are things that you'd do while levelling, but instead you go back one-hit-kill 150 mobs for a necessary deed, for example. The 105 boost is pricey, but includes autocompletion of a large percentage of those deeds.

    Even as an F2P, you can create characters on every server just to check them out. The two character limit is per server, not per account.

    Hope this helps. Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  7. #632
    Quote Originally Posted by SRoam View Post
    Wow,

    Hey , thanks for your answers. Really helped a lot. I also wanted to ask regarding the expansions and purchasing the content of the game. How does that work? Do I have to buy all previous expansions or only the latest one? Can I level without purchasing them?
    If you're f2p, you get four lowest areas - Ered Luin, Shire, Breeland and Lone Lands for free. Anything beyond it, you have to purchase: those are either quest packs or expansions. All of them can be bought with real money or Lotro Points which you get from doing deeds, VIPs "rent out" quest pack contents for the duration of their sub.

    You can visit the areas you don't own but can't quest there, just gather mats or kill mobs(and be killed if you wander into high lvl region). There's also the Epic - a chain of quests spanning all areas and available to everyone (some minor exceptions) which tells the main story

    It is best to wait for sales before buying obviously. The first expansion is Moria (around lvl 50) and you will want to get it, which quest packs you buy on the way there depends on you. You can lvl running instances/skirmishes although you'll have few to choose from as f2p. Crafting also nets you decent XP at lower levels, as well as participating in festivals. Doing deeds in intro areas will provide you with enough LP to buy some content.

  8. #633
    Quote Originally Posted by SRoam View Post
    Wow,

    Hey , thanks for your answers. Really helped a lot. I also wanted to ask regarding the expansions and purchasing the content of the game. How does that work? Do I have to buy all previous expansions or only the latest one? Can I level without purchasing them?
    Unfortunately, everyone has to buy the xpacs, even VIPs, but the main story line (the Epic) is free even in xpac areas except for Helm's Deep. They just had a really good sale about a month ago, and sometimes will have one around the Anniversary Event which is in April. The best sales are always on the Lotro Market (web site, under store tab), and I would make a point to check on it once a week or so. Often times, if there's a really good sale, someone will mention it in WC as well. You only have TOTAL questing access to the first four regions (Ered Luin, Shire, Breeland, and the Lone Lands), but if you do the Deeds in those four regions, you should have enough Lotro Points (you get those for completing Deeds) to buy at least one or two more regions from the store, and once a region is bought, it's available account wide. VIPs have total access to all regions for the duration of their sub. Again, I say, you can still go into the regions and do the Epic quests, but the side quests won't be available to you in regions/xpacs you haven't bought yet if you're not subbed.

  9. #634
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,196
    I was f2p until around L75 in Rohan; the ONLY area I felt there werent enough quests to progress was Lothlorien; every area has some quests available for f2p, and the Epic line is enough to keep you levelling up, although the lack of deed completion will mount up and your character will not be as strong as someone who owned and did all of the content.

    In the last sale, it was possible to buy all of the areas up to and including Moria for ~£12 real money, and there are also often sales for buying via Lotro points. I think my total spend on expacs over the last 3 years, including my daughters account - is perhaps £50, with the best value being the Eriador(spl?) and Quad packs that include multiple expacs into one.

    Buying an expac means that all the characters on your account, existing and in the future, can use it.

  10. #635
    Hi, new player. My updater is stuck and won't progress pat a certain point no matter what I try and I have found no answers elsewhere.

    It says, "Downloading vignette_dwelf_raid.bik 0.0 of 0.0 megabytes."

    Any answers as to what I can do to get past that would be great. Thank you.

  11. #636
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    11
    when will i be able to post in the kin thread. I'm trying to post my url for my kin. http://ridersoffellowship.gamerlaunch.com
    INFAMOUS-TALON

  12. #637
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeronar View Post
    Hi, new player. My updater is stuck and won't progress pat a certain point no matter what I try and I have found no answers elsewhere.

    It says, "Downloading vignette_dwelf_raid.bik 0.0 of 0.0 megabytes."

    Any answers as to what I can do to get past that would be great. Thank you.
    I don't have a solution, just a guess at one. Try adding the following to your shortcut's Target:

    -skiprawdownload

    As in:

    C:\blah\blah\TurbineInvoker -skiprawdownload
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  13. #638
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by InfamousTalon View Post
    when will i be able to post in the kin thread. I'm trying to post my url for my kin. http://ridersoffellowship.gamerlaunch.com
    After some time has passed. There's an unpublished wait time, measured in days, before a new account can post in other forums or create threads here. Ongoing battle with India-based black magic/love magic spammer (seriously!). Only thing you can do is check each day.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  14. #639
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    I don't have a solution, just a guess at one. Try adding the following to your shortcut's Target:

    -skiprawdownload

    As in:

    C:\blah\blah\TurbineInvoker -skiprawdownload
    Hey, it worked, I guess. Updater is working again. Thanks. Now I'll be able to experience Middle Earth and stuff.

  15. #640
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeronar View Post
    Hey, it worked, I guess. Updater is working again. Thanks. Now I'll be able to experience Middle Earth and stuff.
    Just call me StoppedClock.

    I'm right twice a day.

    Glad to hear it worked. Have fun playing LOTRO.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  16. #641
    wonderful thread

  17. #642
    Hi, another new player looking to start on LOTRO.

    1) I am looking for a busy server should I go to Arkenstone or Evernight? I am from the EU. Is evernight as crowded as Arkenstone? Thanks!

    2) I like various classes in this game, but I have narrowed down the decision to a couple:
    I like burglar and captain.
    is burglar wanted in endgame content? would one of them be easier to get into groups than the other?

    3) is this a good way of unlocking content or do u suggest something else? Level to 30 f2p > buy vip > buy quadpack > buy helm deep > buy mordor

  18. #643
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreius View Post
    Hi, another new player looking to start on LOTRO.

    1) I am looking for a busy server should I go to Arkenstone or Evernight? I am from the EU. Is evernight as crowded as Arkenstone? Thanks!

    2) I like various classes in this game, but I have narrowed down the decision to a couple:
    I like burglar and captain.
    is burglar wanted in endgame content? would one of them be easier to get into groups than the other?

    3) is this a good way of unlocking content or do u suggest something else? Level to 30 f2p > buy vip > buy quadpack > buy helm deep > buy mordor
    Welcome to LOTRO!

    Arkenstone and Evernight are both busy. Evernight probably has a higher population. There are plenty of NA players there, but it would be busier during EU peak times. You can create a character on each and observe /world chat if you wish. Character limit is per server.

    Captain might be a bit easier to get into groups. It would depend on the instance/raid and whether Burg CC and single target DPS is more useful than Cappy spike DPS, buffs, and healing. Joining a good kin evens this out a lot.

    You've got the right idea about unlocking content. You might want to do the VIP a bit earlier, like 25 or even 20, just to get riding skill by questing earlier, but that's trivial. Don't forget to create characters all over the place while VIP so they'll have the permanent VIP perks in the future, should you want to play them later.

    Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  19. #644

    I can not find the game store

    Hi, I'm new to the game and I'm enjoying it a lot
    The problem is that I want to get the skill to ride a horse
    But the store does not appear

    What do I have to do to get that skill? i'm hobbit level 13

  20. #645

    Angry

    ???Why I cant start a new thread??

  21. #646
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Triix110 View Post
    ???Why I cant start a new thread??
    Explained in the topmost sticky:

    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Only-Post-Here
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  22. #647
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Harloxzz19 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the game and I'm enjoying it a lot
    The problem is that I want to get the skill to ride a horse
    But the store does not appear

    What do I have to do to get that skill? i'm hobbit level 13
    The two ways to get Riding skill are to buy it from the in-game store for 95 LOTRO points or to be VIP and level 20+ so you can do the quest at Hengstacer's farm to get it free. You must have the Novice passive skill from completing your racial starting area.

    If you have not logged out and back in since completing your racial start area, you may need to do that.

    If you are running Windows XP, there may be some technical issues. The store has to use your browser rather than the in-game mini-browser if you run XP.

    Sorry these aren't definite solutions, but more info about your character status and computer system may help.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  23. #648
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    8
    Hiya! Looking to get posting permissions and I was told to come here? hehe

  24. #649

    Questions about the state of the game.

    Hello! I am a very new player to the game, and have some questions. I've always been aware of LOTRO, but never actually took the time to download/play it, but on a whim I decided to do so, and I am having a lot of fun with the game. I've always been a mild fan of the Tolkien universe, so it's been quite fun to visit Hobbiton and fight orcs and goblins.
    My only problem though, is that I'm not sure what the current state of the game is. Like, do people still play it anymore? It it worth investing time and/or money into? Does it seem like it could be ending soon?
    I mean, LOTRO has been out for more than a decade now, and when I walk around the game, I don't tend to see a lot of people. I would imagine that this is because the map is MASSIVE, and I've only been to low level areas... so I wouldn't expect to see lots of people anyway. However, it could also be possible that it's because the player-base is diminishing. (I don't know what the "Normal" player activity for this game is, sooo...)

    After that flood of text, I guess my question is: It is worth it for me to put my time (Leveling up and what-not) and money (DLCs and Riding Skills) into it? I am seeming to love this game, and I wouldn't want buy DLCs and get attached to the game, just to hear the next day that it's gonna shut down.

    So... yeah, basically I want to put a lot of time into this game, but don't know if I'm too late.
    I'd appreciate if someone who is more knowledgable of the game status could answer me.
    Thanks!

  25. #650
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Vectorvital View Post
    Hello! I am a very new player to the game, and have some questions. I've always been aware of LOTRO, but never actually took the time to download/play it, but on a whim I decided to do so, and I am having a lot of fun with the game. I've always been a mild fan of the Tolkien universe, so it's been quite fun to visit Hobbiton and fight orcs and goblins.
    My only problem though, is that I'm not sure what the current state of the game is. Like, do people still play it anymore? It it worth investing time and/or money into? Does it seem like it could be ending soon?
    I mean, LOTRO has been out for more than a decade now, and when I walk around the game, I don't tend to see a lot of people. I would imagine that this is because the map is MASSIVE, and I've only been to low level areas... so I wouldn't expect to see lots of people anyway. However, it could also be possible that it's because the player-base is diminishing. (I don't know what the "Normal" player activity for this game is, sooo...)

    After that flood of text, I guess my question is: It is worth it for me to put my time (Leveling up and what-not) and money (DLCs and Riding Skills) into it? I am seeming to love this game, and I wouldn't want buy DLCs and get attached to the game, just to hear the next day that it's gonna shut down.

    So... yeah, basically I want to put a lot of time into this game, but don't know if I'm too late.
    I'd appreciate if someone who is more knowledgable of the game status could answer me.
    Thanks!
    Welcome to LOTRO!

    Plenty of people still playing, but a large percentage of them are at or near level cap (115) and are running around Mordor (after the Ring was destroyed). Of course the player population reached it'speak around 9-10 years ago (!). It's been steadier over the last several years with occasional drops as people get ticked off at changes in new content and occasional increases as oldtimers come back to see the new content. In other words, the pessimists think the game is half dead and the optimists find it half alive.

    Of the three low level areas, The Shire and Ered Luin have noticably lower populations. If you take a stable ride from Michel Delving to Bree, you will find more players and a much greater range of levels as well. Bree is much more of a hub for players of all levels.

    I'd suggest you keep playing the free content until level 25-30. You can pretty easily earn enough LOTRO Points (95) to buy that riding skill just from play. If you complete all the free content you will earn enough LP to purchase Evendim, which will take you up to level 40. (If you create another character you can earn all these LP again.)

    Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

 

 
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload