We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crash to desktop in Minas Tinas Tirigh / Fields of Onslaught

Just about every time I enter Minar Tirith, Pelennor Fields, or Fields of Onslaught I crash to desktop. I need to log in again and then it works. I'm talking 99.99% of the time... is there something I need to switch on or off to fix this??? Super annoying!
    Meliane - [EU] Snowbourn
    Meliana - Elendilimir (RIP)

I'd be interested in an answer as well.
    Don't know if you have this problem as well, but trying to leave MT with swift-travel, porting or even entering an instance kicks me out every time as well.
    Which is a shame since Minas Tirith is gorgeous.
    New Order, maggots: Eat more carrots! The Dark Lord isn't pleased that none of you can see further than the end of your sword.

Same issue. Its unplayable. Anything with to do with Minas Tirith causes this. The fast travel to and from it (and between the different phases of the battle) only makes it worse. I turned down all the settings on the Advanced Graphics tab. This helped in that it took a little longer to crash than when the settings are high, but the problem never really goes away. Its horrible for this to happen in such a crucial location of the story.

I assume there is a memory leak on the client side that leads to an eventual crash. Probably always been around but only surfaced cause Minas Tirith has so many objects to load.

swapping from dx11 to dx9 usually helps with this issue.

I'm going to list the settings I use for LOTRO "Endurance" sessions. These are settings made for me moving across multiple End-Game zones and instances and the raid all without crashes. Note: Insta-travel horses in the Pelennor Fields might still cause crashes if you use them going back and forth a bunch. (Unless they fixed that)

1) Go to Main Graphics Tab and set the following:

Overall Graphics Quality: Very Low
    Graphics Hardware Level: DirectX9
    PvMP Performance Overrride: (Checked)

2) Go to Adv Graphics Tab and set the following:

Object Draw Distance: Ultra High
    Model Detail: Ultra High (Set lower if your GPU can't handle it)
    Landscape Draw Dristance: Very Low (This is the default with these settings - Can raise a notch or 2 depending on your system)
    Frill Distance: Disabled (This is the default with these settings - Can raise a notch or 2 depending on your system)
    Distant Imposters: (Checked)

Those settings will let you last quite a while with the memory leak and also give you great performance.

My system is a Core i7-4790K with 16 GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 680. I can run in ultra high but due to the performance of the client with the memory leaks and crashing I just can't put up with them and have settled on my bulletproof settings above.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Lol, just for my amusement i tried these settings (although i knew it made little to no difference) ...

1. The game looks absolute garbage in these settings. Can't imagine anyone playing like this in 2016. It's like some game from year 1995 or so.
    2. As i suspected it makes little to no difference against memory leaks. It took me 3 minutes to reproduce memory leak crash still even with those ####ty graphics settings.

The fact is this game is the MOST broken MMO out there right now from technical perspective. You think that Mafia 3 is badly broken, boy try LOTRO!

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    I'm going to list the settings I use for LOTRO "Endurance" sessions. These are settings made for me moving across multiple End-Game zones and instances and the raid all without crashes. Note: Insta-travel horses in the Pelennor Fields might still cause crashes if you use them going back and forth a bunch. (Unless they fixed that)

1) Go to Main Graphics Tab and set the following:

Overall Graphics Quality: Very Low
    Graphics Hardware Level: DirectX9
    PvMP Performance Overrride: (Checked)

2) Go to Adv Graphics Tab and set the following:

Object Draw Distance: Ultra High
    Model Detail: Ultra High (Set lower if your GPU can't handle it)
    Landscape Draw Dristance: Very Low (This is the default with these settings - Can raise a notch or 2 depending on your system)
    Frill Distance: Disabled (This is the default with these settings - Can raise a notch or 2 depending on your system)
    Distant Imposters: (Checked)

Those settings will let you last quite a while with the memory leak and also give you great performance.

My system is a Core i7-4790K with 16 GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 680. I can run in ultra high but due to the performance of the client with the memory leaks and crashing I just can't put up with them and have settled on my bulletproof settings above.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxlne View Post
    Lol, just for my amusement i tried these settings (although i knew it made little to no difference) ...

2. As i suspected it makes little to no difference against memory leaks. It took me 3 minutes to reproduce memory leak crash still even with those ####ty graphics settings.
    What'd you do to crash? Give exact steps. If it involves insta-travel horses on the pelennor fields then there's not much that can be done about that.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Yes, the usual:

Map from Bree to MT, go from MT outside the gates to Pelennor Fields, port back to MT, use swift-horses to Before The Battle - Fields of Onslaught - all three phases of Pelennor fields battle - map back to MT.
    Somewhere along the way you'll surely get CTD.

This is just the fastest way to reproduce crash. It doesn't matter really what tweaks you do with your in-game settings. Memory leak crash can be reproduced in all regions of the game. In Rohan+ regions i can crash my client fairly fast even with ####ty game settings. In older regions can crash client too if i pump up all graphics settings and that is the usual way how i play this game - That means Ultra High settings with Very High textures and 1440p resolution.

Overall, my gaming experience is that i get crashes 4-5 times during the couple hour of evening session. MT/Pelennor Fields still are pretty much unplayable for me. To finish Epic Quest line and majority of MT quest there i had to use external memory release program but that is really absurdity that people have to use such tweaks to play the game they support monthly.

Combined with latest flower picking "endgame" and continually breaking my class i play (Guardian) this game really isn't worth the subscription anymore.

Fact: there is no setting that can prevent all crashes. Just things that can make the game crash less.

I used to crash 15-20 times every day with maxed out settings with dx11. Then swapped to dx9 and now i get crashes much, much less. But still, when it crashes, its pretty much always with a swift horseride to MT, HD or Bree.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxlne View Post
    Yes, the usual:

Map from Bree to MT, go from MT outside the gates to Pelennor Fields, port back to MT, use swift-horses to Before The Battle - Fields of Onslaught - all three phases of Pelennor fields battle - map back to MT.
    Somewhere along the way you'll surely get CTD.
    Perhaps you missed this:

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Note: Insta-travel horses in the Pelennor Fields might still cause crashes if you use them going back and forth a bunch. (Unless they fixed that)
    It is obvious they didn't fix it so there's the source of the crash.