We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best in-game music themes poll

I'm teaching a Music Appreciation course for non-majors at the area state college. I loved the comment the textbook publisher dropped in at the end of the chapter on Wagner and his leitmotifs: that this concept has migrated into MMO themes. I of course pulled a few LOTRO youtube videos for the students when I ended up with a few minutes at the end of that class session, but I'm curious:

What are your favorite LOTRO themes for each region? I've only played up to Eregion so far, so my personal experiences are limited.
    Are there other games where music functions this way? I only have played STO (need to get a PC so I can get back to that and explore music elsewhere...)

I am working on pulling videos from these forums, but any insight from more experienced players is welcome!

Thanks!
    Lisa

I know that the Rohan Music (especially the main theme) is very popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shAAPrF-bYI
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Landroval~

~Rank 12 Warg, Landroval~

Smile

My two all-time favourites are the Brandywine Bridge theme and the Treasure Hunting Field tune.

Overall I like the BG music of the Shire, Trollshaws, Eregion best. Of the newer regions I find the Old and Far Anórien nicely done. I'm sure I'm missing some

With no disrespect meant towards a colleague*, I'm not a fan of the East Rohan motifs, or the new (post RoR) arrangement of the opening theme on the login screen.

-
    * Musician (performer and composer) for ~20 years and counting...
    Landroval: Kibilturg, Taurunion, Erohtar... (Watchers of Elendil)
    Crickhollow: Kibilturg (Tarciryan Knights), Zigilturg (Forever Notorious), Birnavor (The Northern Kingdom), Nuncle (Casual Wanderers)
    Visiting elsewhere as Kibilturg, Urwendil... Born and raised on Imladris

I do love The Shire and Bree themes, the new music in Dol Amroth and the New Housing Area are sublime. Also the Thorin's Hall tune is quite pleasing too, but I am biased as it has a nice clarinet part in that piece. It is well worth turning off combat music and listening to each regions offerings in full.
    Theninny.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    My two all-time favourites are the Brandywine Bridge theme and the Treasure Hunting Field tune.

Overall I like the BG music of the Shire, Trollshaws, Eregion best. Of the newer regions I find the Old and Far Anórien nicely done. I'm sure I'm missing some

With no disrespect meant towards a colleague*, I'm not a fan of the East Rohan motifs, or the new (post RoR) arrangement of the opening theme on the login screen.

My hope is that at some point, we'll be given the option on the welcome screen to pick which opening theme we want to listen to - I enjoy the Rohan one, and thought it was glorious when it first came out, but I've found myself missing the old one a lot - probably due to the fact that it is so nostalgic for the early days when I knew very little about the game, and was just looking forward to having an adventure off the beaten track in Tolkien's world
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Character selection screen music. That is the LOTRO for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWD4pNb3O1c

There are many!

Though sadly he no longer works for the game, (unless he makes a return for the upcoming expansion) at least we have his music for Shadows of Angmar, Mines of Moria, Lothlorien, and Riders of Rohan.

Here are some:

[The original theme for the character creation screen]

[This, and the next two, are not from Chance Thomas, as far as I know, but the composer nonetheless deserves praise for his/her work - it is a vast improvement from previous music pieces not from CT]

I absolutely love the Gondor themes, but my all time favorite soundtrack is the Hollin Gate
    ‘All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.’ – Gandalf the Grey

I was literally listening to "A Theme for Rohan" for the fourth time today when I found this thread, so definitely that one. Even the songs in east rohan that don't build off that motif are great though, I love Boromir's Last Stand and Horse Lords of the Norcrofts
    Crickhollow-
    r4 lvl 100 - Roelen, Guardian of Lindon
    r1 leveling - Celerad, Captain of Gondor

I'll double down on Theme for Rohan and Lament for Oakenshield. However, Roaming Free always gets the blood pumping!