We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Launcher Stuck

Launcher Stuck

Since the update to Mac OS X Sierra, when I open the launcher, it just gets stuck on "Installing Pre-reqs" with the window below that being completely empty. I have tried re-starting both the launcher and the operating system. Nothing. I reinstalled the game, which took an incredibly long time. The launcher worked right the first time it came up on its own after the reinstall, and then went to this bad behavior. I have messed with options, turning on "ask before installing updates," and it worked once, and then stopped working. Sometimes I will change the setting seemingly randomly, and the launcher comes back to life, but only once. I'm at my wits end, as I cannot play the game on this computer now. Is there something I can put in the proxy settings to get the machine to connect properly to the server? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by moscowcfi View Post
    Since the update to Mac OS X Sierra, when I open the launcher, it just gets stuck on "Installing Pre-reqs" with the window below that being completely empty. I have tried re-starting both the launcher and the operating system. Nothing. I reinstalled the game, which took an incredibly long time. The launcher worked right the first time it came up on its own after the reinstall, and then went to this bad behavior. I have messed with options, turning on "ask before installing updates," and it worked once, and then stopped working. Sometimes I will change the setting seemingly randomly, and the launcher comes back to life, but only once. I'm at my wits end, as I cannot play the game on this computer now. Is there something I can put in the proxy settings to get the machine to connect properly to the server? Please help.
    I assume you are installing from LOTRO.com - no other location is known to work. https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download

In general, neither OSX nor LOTRO require any proxy settings anywhere along the line. If you are in an environment where you need proxy settings, you need to talk to your local Network Administrator to find out what they should be and why. Proxy settings are not needed outside of Corporate Firewalls.

Are you running with Apple's Firewall running? If you are behind a NAT router, it is completely worthless and redundant - disable it.
    If you need to set firewall ports on your router, see the WIKI for the list: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client#The_Mac_Client_Comm unication_Notes

Installing pre-reqs should only happen once. I don't know when the last time was I saw that message.
    Off hand, I don't know for certain, but believe that is actually a Windows message, not relevant for the Mac.

The only other thing I can think of is any anti-malware programs you might be running. Anti-malware programs are different from anti-virus programs and do significantly impact LOTRO. Amongst other problems they cause is LAG. Avast! is notorious in that vein.

One last comment. After installing Sierra, it can take several hours for Spotlight and Photo to complete their indexing of your system. How long depends upon how many files you have on your disk drives, and how many photos in your library. While those processes are running after the update, OSX will be "sluggish" which can impact other I/O related things, especially the dowload and patch process. OSXDaily.com just had a post on this particular issue.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I have this problem as well. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. I have turned off firewalls and still have this issue. I have found a work around that works, open up options then proxy tab and change the proxy from no proxy to system proxy. The next time you log in just reverse the proxy setting. It's annoying, but it works.

After much trial and error I finally found the issue. It was Norton Security. I had to turn off the applications firewall. The Apple and router firewalls are still up and the issue is gone. Hope this helps others!

Quote Originally Posted by Erkenbrand11 View Post
    After much trial and error I finally found the issue. It was Norton Security. I had to turn off the applications firewall. The Apple and router firewalls are still up and the issue is gone. Hope this helps others!
    This is a common problem with Malware Filters -- which has nothing to do with Firewalls or email Virus Scans, they are different.

A Malware Filter inserts itself into your data stream and examines EVERY single byte of data that you receive from the Internet.
    These filters then decide if what is being passed down to your system is something they THINK is malware.
    Norton used to be on the "good list." Now it apparently goes to the "bad list" along with "Avast!" which has been known for several years to be a problem with LOTRO.

Thanks for tracking this down.

And Yes, on top of other issues, a Malware Filter DOES impact your overall system performance, i.e. it does contribute to Lag.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)