We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Respawn Rates

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Over there!
    Posts
    421

    Respawn Rates

    Now maybe I'm not that greatest at gearing my characters up to have the best possible stats, but with average gear I have been able to defeat the many enemies in the game with little trouble. That said, I have noticed that the respawn rate in some area's, noteably the more recent ones; I.E Gondor, respawns occur in under ten minutes or less, (I haven't actually timed it but it's close to this). Now this is fine when you have a lot of players adventuring through the area, you will need such a quick time between respawns to cater to all of them. However I've been questing through West and Central Gondor which have been out for a while now and have only seen a single player or two during my travels. I play on Gladden by the way.

    Now, when entering an enemy stronghold or camp or whatever where there are many foes to defeat to get to my quest object the quick respawn time proves to be problematic at best and frustrating at the very worse. Being the type of player who likes to read the quest text, I do enjoy the story you devs have created. Well it's hard to enjoy the work you have put into these text of the quests when the foes you just defeated constantly respawn behind you so you have to be continuely fighting them off instead of reading the quest dialogue.

    Another problem I have is clearing the immediate area prior to using a placeable to summon the boss monster or whatever. No sooner have I summoned it then the minions whom I had already dispatched start to respawn mid battle making my carefully planned attack plan kind of pointless. And no I'm not talking about adds, those are bad enough but I understand the reason for them I'm more refering to the regular enemies that normally populate the immediate area.

    In short, the respawn rates in the newer area's are much too quick in my oppinion and should be adjusted after an area has been out after a few months. I can't be the only one who thinks this, am I?
    Last edited by Grieyls; May 21 2016 at 09:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,132
    Please gawd, no.

    This happens in every older area of the game and it makes it hard for people slightly above the level of the mobs, not even people tapping grey mobs, to farm mats or do slayer deeds. The spawn should reflect the time it takes one toon, on level, to kill a mob [heal up and look for the next mob] and move on. These rates should be adjusted as the number of people in the zone appear and disappear.

    Anyone who has felt the urge to go back and deed in Moria for any reason, or any other area they leveled out of before finishing, will have noticed the spawn rate of mobs on the roads or in clustered areas, have been reduced to the point of needing to play another game in between spawns. My game of choice atm is Subway Surfer.

    The newer areas, imo, are designed for players with close to maxed iLI and enough essence armor they are not bothered by a couple of mobs. I'd wager to say that most of them are not having the problem you are as they kill things faster. I'm not one of those people. I do struggle with the spawns in some areas. I'd rather have something to challenge me to get better than a zone that puts me to sleep and makes any slayer deeds more of a grind than they already are.

    my 2c
    ...
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

  3. #3
    Sounds like the problems the Mirkwood opening had. Mobs would respawn so fast that it could be very hard for one to two players to do some quests in camps.

    It took way too long, but finally Turbine fixed that. I am glad I am not doing this new area for a while, as it sounds like Mirkwood all over again.

    Those that are more uber can't understand when some classes can't just breeze through harder areas.

    Que the inevitable, "If you are too antisocial to group..." comments LOL.

    Just wanted to post this to show a bit of understanding about the OP's feelings.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    21,144
    I have to agree with the OP. Not that it's difficult. It's not difficult at all. It's tedious, like I'm imagining myself whacking down a lot of weeds just to get through a field just to have them grow again.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  5. #5
    In general I don't mind the respawn timers but there are some places where they are just insane. The bandit camp next to Langhold for example - you kill one opponent, turn to the next and have the first one jump at your back because the respawn timer is like 5 seconds or something. That's ridiculous. I understand that people may want to get their slayer deeds done faster but the first priority should be that on level characters can quest there without serving as a magnet for zombies.

    Also it doesn't only depend on your gear how fast you can kill stuff, it also depends on your class. With the high span of DPS that we have in this game caused by class changes and especially by the broken essence system there simply is no balancing possible so the only thing we can do is to grit our teeth with our weaker and mediocre equipped characters.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    3,880
    Return to the area at a quieter time when less people are around.

    Years ago Turbine changed respawns to be proportional to how many players are in a region. If it's too fast for you, that's to supply the others who might be following you. If it's too slow for you, return on a weekend when more people might be there. It's not a "timer" as such, as it's based more on population density.

    I feel they have it fairly well dialed in at this point, it's less common to arrive at an unrealistically empty area due to another player having recently come through than it was years ago. If you are worried about respawns foiling an ongoing fight, simply drag the MOB to a clear area rather than fighting where enemies are likely to see you, which lends realism.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    725
    I played some 20 years old game, where they had respawn rate based on amount of people logged in at the moment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
    Now maybe I'm not that greatest at gearing my characters up to have the best possible stats, but with average gear I have been able to defeat the many enemies in the game with little trouble. That said, I have noticed that the respawn rate in some area's, noteably the more recent ones; I.E Gondor, respawns occur in under ten minutes or less, (I haven't actually timed it but it's close to this). Now this is fine when you have a lot of players adventuring through the area, you will need such a quick time between respawns to cater to all of them. However I've been questing through West and Central Gondor which have been out for a while now and have only seen a single player or two during my travels. I play on Gladden by the way.

    Now, when entering an enemy stronghold or camp or whatever where there are many foes to defeat to get to my quest object the quick respawn time proves to be problematic at best and frustrating at the very worse. Being the type of player who likes to read the quest text, I do enjoy the story you devs have created. Well it's hard to enjoy the work you have put into these text of the quests when the foes you just defeated constantly respawn behind you so you have to be continuely fighting them off instead of reading the quest dialogue.

    Another problem I have is clearing the immediate area prior to using a placeable to summon the boss monster or whatever. No sooner have I summoned it then the minions whom I had already dispatched start to respawn mid battle making my carefully planned attack plan kind of pointless. And no I'm not talking about adds, those are bad enough but I understand the reason for them I'm more refering to the regular enemies that normally populate the immediate area.

    In short, the respawn rates in the newer area's are much too quick in my oppinion and should be adjusted after an area has been out after a few months. I can't be the only one who thinks this, am I?
    I didn't find respawn rates too bad in West Gondor with the exception of Tarlangs if you happened to be up there in a large group (which meant they could be taken care of anyway). Central has a few fast respawns, but some strategic positioning means they are pretty easy to get around. The highest respawns IMO are in a couple of camps in East Gondor, and they are a lot faster than West and Central. The way I get around them is by dragging a mob that is almost beaten - over to the next, and start fighting the new mob down to half before finishing off the one you dragged with you. That way, you are more or less always ahead of the respawns. Once you reach your objective - in your case, a summoning device, summon your foe, then run to a corner or out of the vicinity a little. The elite will follow you, leaving respawns that come, out of range. Once it's down, leroy out. It can become a little frustrating for those in a hurry I suppose, but it makes for interesting play, especially for those like yourself, that like to take in the details as you go.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Over there!
    Posts
    421
    Thank you all for the replies and being civil about it. Much appreciated. Anyway, I think I need to clarify cause I'm not talking about the enemies you encounter out and about in an open area. Having relative quick respawns there is fine. I was referring more to the fact of enemy camps or strongholds. In these area's there are lots of enemies all in close proximity of each other. This is where the current respawn rate becomes a problem in my oppinion. Specially when you have to get to the centre of the camp where ones quest objective is located.

    One that comes to mind that had me swearing at the screen was in central Gondor I think. You had to locate a captured Gondorian and free him or attempt to at any rate. Once I got there I was reading the quest text of the NPC I had to rescue but before I could finish that the Corsairs of camp started to respawn and they did so almost immediatly. I was constantly trying to read the quest text but couldn't cause the respawn was rediculously high in that camp having me to fight them off all the time, and this quest was marked as a solo one. Fortunately another player happened by and was able to keep them busy allowing me to actually read the text. Who ever they were I'd like to thank them but I can't recall what their character name was.

    All I'm asking is have the respawn dailed back a bit so I can actually read the quest text if the NPC I need to talk to especially if they are in the middle of the enemy camp. Either that or put them in a place that is far enough away from the camp (inside a tent for example), so that they are outside the agro range of the NPC so that I can read the text without having to worry about the frequency of the enemy respawns. This is especially important when the quest is a solo one!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
    One that comes to mind that had me swearing at the screen was in central Gondor I think. You had to locate a captured Gondorian and free him or attempt to at any rate. Once I got there I was reading the quest text of the NPC I had to rescue but before I could finish that the Corsairs of camp started to respawn and they did so almost immediatly. I was constantly trying to read the quest text but couldn't cause the respawn was rediculously high in that camp having me to fight them off all the time, and this quest was marked as a solo one. Fortunately another player happened by and was able to keep them busy allowing me to actually read the text. Who ever they were I'd like to thank them but I can't recall what their character name was.

    All I'm asking is have the respawn dailed back a bit so I can actually read the quest text if the NPC I need to talk to especially if they are in the middle of the enemy camp. Either that or put them in a place that is far enough away from the camp (inside a tent for example), so that they are outside the agro range of the NPC so that I can read the text without having to worry about the frequency of the enemy respawns. This is especially important when the quest is a solo one!
    You should /bug that one. The amount of energy they put into writing the quest-texts is amazing. Never ever should you need to stop reading a quest-text because you get jumped by enemies. Pretty sure it was not intentional that this should happen, so it's not WAI.

    Regards
    /T

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
    Thank you all for the replies and being civil about it. Much appreciated. Anyway, I think I need to clarify cause I'm not talking about the enemies you encounter out and about in an open area. Having relative quick respawns there is fine. I was referring more to the fact of enemy camps or strongholds. In these area's there are lots of enemies all in close proximity of each other. This is where the current respawn rate becomes a problem in my oppinion. Specially when you have to get to the centre of the camp where ones quest objective is located.

    One that comes to mind that had me swearing at the screen was in central Gondor I think. You had to locate a captured Gondorian and free him or attempt to at any rate. Once I got there I was reading the quest text of the NPC I had to rescue but before I could finish that the Corsairs of camp started to respawn and they did so almost immediatly. I was constantly trying to read the quest text but couldn't cause the respawn was rediculously high in that camp having me to fight them off all the time, and this quest was marked as a solo one. Fortunately another player happened by and was able to keep them busy allowing me to actually read the text. Who ever they were I'd like to thank them but I can't recall what their character name was.

    All I'm asking is have the respawn dailed back a bit so I can actually read the quest text if the NPC I need to talk to especially if they are in the middle of the enemy camp. Either that or put them in a place that is far enough away from the camp (inside a tent for example), so that they are outside the agro range of the NPC so that I can read the text without having to worry about the frequency of the enemy respawns. This is especially important when the quest is a solo one!
    Screen shot?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Over there!
    Posts
    421
    If I had presence of mind to take a screen shot I would have, I'm not one to take such all that often in any case, even if it is just for fun, so it's kind of hard to remember to do so. However I do often remember to do so well after the fact but by then it is of course way too late. I therefore appologise for this oversight, that said the quest I was referring to, if my memory does not fail me, is in centrel Gondor, near Linhir if I have my facts right.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
    If I had presence of mind to take a screen shot I would have, I'm not one to take such all that often in any case, even if it is just for fun, so it's kind of hard to remember to do so. However I do often remember to do so well after the fact but by then it is of course way too late. I therefore appologise for this oversight, that said the quest I was referring to, if my memory does not fail me, is in centrel Gondor, near Linhir if I have my facts right.
    Sounds like the Corsair campsite at Hata Khezrat a bit NW of Linhir. Three tents, a fire, one of the captive brothers, and a fast respawn rate on the Corsairs in the area. Very easy to get caught by a respawn behind you when you're trying to read the quest text from the brother.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Grieyls View Post
    If I had presence of mind to take a screen shot I would have, I'm not one to take such all that often in any case, even if it is just for fun, so it's kind of hard to remember to do so. However I do often remember to do so well after the fact but by then it is of course way too late. I therefore appologise for this oversight, that said the quest I was referring to, if my memory does not fail me, is in centrel Gondor, near Linhir if I have my facts right.
    I mean, screen shot text, read it minute later in safe place (sory, I was in hurry writing previous post).

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload