We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 89 of 109 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Re: The Riddle-Game

WOMDON!!!!

Welcome back! (and I must say it's about time hehe)

(regarding Pillagem's riddle, my guess is Smaug, as a lot of the terms he used are directly out of Smaug's boastful speech hehe)

edit: oops Aleczander ninjaed it hehe
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

Thanks, Elvyen!

Ohhh yes, good point. Orcs and goblins and elves and such, that does sound like the five armies. Plus song to not-song sounds like it has something to do with Bard. Heheh, it's been too long, my brain is rusty!

Ahh, I've missed this thread.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

The answer is Smaug - Aleczander was first with it.

Smaug the Golden
    the song to not-song refers to a ''songbird'' telling the ''Bard who was not a bard'' about Smaug's weakness - the throne that was defended was the pile of treasure from upon which Smaug ''ruled'' and over which the five armies basically fought - his neighbors were the men of Dale and his ''visitors'' were Thorin's group who called in some dwarf relations - etc. etc.

The quote Elvyen mentions is
    "My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"
    - Smaug

Ok Aleczander, you're up!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

sorry, been sick.
    I'll pass to womdom.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    Jaylaxel - 83 LM | Moiron - 85 Champ | [COLOR=Red]Aedush[/COLOR] - R4 Stalker
    [/CENTER]

Ok then, lemme see what I can come up with. It's been a while since I've done any riddle-writing though, so go easy on me.

Seen and feared by many eyes,
    Fled from by many feet.
    Elvish heritage underlies
    My gleaming wrath, so fleet.

Ringbearer's friend - then once again.
    Born in Hidden Rock's abode.
    Untarnished pride, although I spent
    Millennia in evil's hold.

My will is steel, strength of fey,
    But of my stature, no bards sing.
    Oh well. Hey, you know what they say -
    Size isn't eveything.
    Last edited by Womdon; Feb 19 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

A-HEM...

"He felt a different person, and much fiercer and bolder in spite of an empty stomach, as he wiped his sword on the grass and put it back into its sheath.
    'I will give you a name,' he said to it, 'and I shall call you Sting.'”

Maybe?
    Last edited by Argulauth; Feb 19 2010 at 06:50 PM.
    [SIZE="2"][CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Teal"][I]"On a blank leaf I scrawled: 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.' I did not and do not know why."[/I][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"]Argûlauth - Community Member since Fall 2003[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

The swing, the crack of the bat! Yep, we got a hall of famer in the house.

You're right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    The swing, the crack of the bat! Yep, we got a hall of famer in the house.

You're right, of course.
    Haha thanks - much appreciated.

Anyway, let's see what I can come up with...

In days of shadow, 'ere Sun had shone,
    The Eldar woke and walked alone.
    In northern Pits was battle fought,
    To lowest depths was Black King sought.

The Maker's hand did craft my might,
    "Oppressor" named, 'neath Valar's light.
    O! Darkest Lord, you tried to flee,
    And for Ages three, did I bind thee.
    [SIZE="2"][CENTER][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Teal"][I]"On a blank leaf I scrawled: 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.' I did not and do not know why."[/I][/COLOR][/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"]Argûlauth - Community Member since Fall 2003[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

Hmm, now that one sounds like the chain that bound Melkor - Angainor.

(I admit I had to look up the name, shame on me)

Hmm, now that one sounds like the chain that bound Melkor - Angainor.

(I admit I had to look up the name, shame on me)
    Haha. Indeed. Take it away.

Okie dokie, here goes:

Master of the range
    Where the stars are strange
    Land of sun is my home
    Only war makes me roam

I am servant of the servant
    Of the great smith
    Witness when battle turns fervent
    That my grandeur's no myth

If ever you'd met me
    You wouldn't forget me
    If you never do
    You won't think I'm true

For black serpent I fight
    With toughness and might
    I'm too sturdy to die
    Lest your blow seeks the eye
    Last edited by Womdon; Feb 20 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Master of the range
    Where the stars are strange
    <-- makes me think Harad...?

For black serpent I fight
    With toughness and might
    I'm too sturdy to die
    Lest your blow seeks the eye
    <-- Eye of Sauron?

So... The Mouth of Sauron?

If that's right and I haven't posted another one, someone else is welcome to it.

You're on the right track with the first stanza, but the answer isn't Mouth of Sauron.

You're on the right track with the first stanza, but the answer isn't Mouth of Sauron.
    Well then I'll keep thinking and get back to you...

Ok I'm a total noob to this so I'm probably way off track but for some reason this riddle made me think of oliphants. /shrug
    Erulisse, 75 Minstrel, Historian, Nimrodel (Dancing in the Dark)
    Eluviel, 75 Huntress, Rank 6, Talior, Nimrodel

Grey as a mouse, big as a house... An Oliphant of course.

if I'm correct I relinquish my turn to someone else, I can solve 'em, but I can't write 'em

Edit: darn it some one posted before I finished
    Last edited by firespirit93; Feb 20 2010 at 09:02 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000b0de5/01008/signature.png]Eoin[/charsig]

Yep, it looks like Eluviel and Firespirit93 both got that one at the same time. One of those stanzas was taken straight from Sam's poem about the oliphaunts.

Good job, guys!

Yeah that 3rd stanza did make me think of Sam, though I forgot it was from his poem.

Nice Riddle

I too pass on my turn as I am no riddle writer. Maybe I'll think of one eventually, but for now someone else go.
    Last edited by eluviel; Feb 21 2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Erulisse, 75 Minstrel, Historian, Nimrodel (Dancing in the Dark)
    Eluviel, 75 Huntress, Rank 6, Talior, Nimrodel

One of those stanzas was taken straight from Sam's poem about the oliphaunts.

AH! I knew I recognized that from somewhere! Props to both of you guys.

EDIT: Womdom, since they both passed, I think it's your turn again.

Quote Originally Posted by Argulauth View Post
    AH! I knew I recognized that from somewhere! Props to both of you guys.

EDIT: Womdom, since they both passed, I think it's your turn again.
    Alright, here's one I put together this morning. It's short and sweet, we'll see how long it lasts:

Beaten and broken and beaten again,
    From stories of glory to hero's portend.

Alright, here's one I put together this morning. It's short and sweet, we'll see how long it lasts:

Beaten and broken and beaten again,
    From stories of glory to hero's portend.
    Narsil to shards to Anduril..
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000000f60e2/signature.png]Jaylaxel[/charsig]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by aleczander View Post
    Narsil to shards to Anduril..
    Yep, you're right Aleczander. I'll see if I can make my next one nice and tough, I'll put some thought into it when I get off work.

Well I've been looking back through the thread and you've had some nice riddles, aleczander. Have you got one for us today?

Seven pairs of eyes
    Lifted up high
    Deep in my void
    Past, Present, and Future may lie
    [/CENTER]

Been thinking about this one for a little bit now.
    My two guesses are the seven stars of the Valacirca (Sickle of the Valar, constellation), past, present, and future being read in the void of the sky,
    or the Palantiri. (though I guess they were more for communication/watching, not for looking at past/present/future)

Hmm, is either guess close? I'll keep thinking about it.
    (I assume its LotR related?)

Page 89 of 109 FirstFirst ... 39 79 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 99 ... LastLast