We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 68 of 109 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Re: The Riddle-Game

Last alliance seems to have them figured out well.
    as for my riddle:
    A drape that covers the land,
    poisons sand,
    black for miles,
    of fire, water, earth, sky defiles,
    in crags it pours,
    residing in moors,
    despair for an age.
    The light of drawing of the swords of the Noldor was like a fire in a field of reeds: and so fell and swift was their onset that almost the designs of Morgoth went astray.

1 Myrtle Court, Shire Homesteads, Yarrowbank

Quote Originally Posted by lastalliance View Post
    Perhaps Nenya, the Ring of Adamant

This makes me think of the alliance between Saruman and Sauron, but the third line makes me reject it. Maybe Doriath and Noglond, but I doubt it... I don't know...

Azog

It could be the Iron Crown of Morgoth.
    1, 3, and 4 are correct nice riddle hakernslash
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000033ee9/signature.png]Tyranus[/charsig]
    "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find' knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives' he who seeks finds ' and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

A shaky alliance
    Proud and Wise
    Gentle and Fair
    Yet Strong and Powerful
    Decietful, Jealous and Power-hungry

Makes me think of the White Council...

poisons sand,
    black for miles,
    in crags it pours,
    residing in moors,
    despair for an age.

Anfauglith, it should be..
    Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

Elrodan - 49 Capt, Elendilmir - Aurora Australis

Quote Originally Posted by Jonwah View Post
    A shaky alliance
    Proud and Wise
    Gentle and Fair
    Yet Strong and Powerful
    Decietful, Jealous and Power-hungry

Makes me think of the White Council...

poisons sand,
    black for miles,
    in crags it pours,
    residing in moors,
    despair for an age.

Anfauglith, it should be..
    Sorry No Cigar and Anfauglith would ahve been my guess after thinking about it
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000033ee9/signature.png]Tyranus[/charsig]
    "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find' knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives' he who seeks finds ' and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

Close, very close, i was actually thinking a bit before that though, pay attention to the fourth line.
    As for 3029929's second riddle i would guess Gondor and Rohan.
    The light of drawing of the swords of the Noldor was like a fire in a field of reeds: and so fell and swift was their onset that almost the designs of Morgoth went astray.

hehe LA every time you post youve got the right answer even if you dont know it

Well the only other thing I can think of is Thangorodrim, and the mountains that Morgoth reared in the north of Beleriand; complete with volcanoes I believe?

Oh; the shaky alliance I was thinking would be between the houses of the Eldar that joined forces to combat Morgoth; although I'm not sure how power-hungry they were..
    Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

you guys are close. The answer is simply Morgoth and Ungoliant.

You mean the black clouds that Ungoliant spewed forth after sucking dry the Two Trees? I thought of that; but a few lines didn't fit:

Makes perfect sense..

poisons sand,
    Never heard any mention of this in the silmarillion?

black for miles,
    Sure,

Didn't really understand this one? Ungoliant drank the Wells of Varda, is that the water you mean? And the sky stayed clear above Valinor; Manwe was sitting up with the stars above the reek..

in crags it pours,
    residing in moors,

Sure, the crags make sense, but residing in moors? Afaik; Manwe blew away the winds quite soon afterwards..

despair for an age.
    Well, not really imho, but ok

the answer to my riddle is the Last Alliance between Elves and Men in it i was describing the elves then the men

Haha now your previous post makes sense; I had no idea what you were on about before..

Soooo since nobody got hackernslash's riddle should we pass it on to Last alliance since he got 3 of mine?

Makes perfect sense..

poisons sand,
    Never heard any mention of this in the silmarillion?

black for miles,
    Sure,

Didn't really understand this one? Ungoliant drank the Wells of Varda, is that the water you mean? And the sky stayed clear above Valinor; Manwe was sitting up with the stars above the reek..

in crags it pours,
    residing in moors,
    Sure, the crags make sense, but residing in moors? Afaik; Manwe blew away the winds quite soon afterwards..

despair for an age.
    Well, not really imho, but ok

I was actually refering to the time when morgoth stole the four silmarils. Despair for an Age: The noldor's oath.
    of fire, water, earth, sky defiles: Morgoth touched the four silmarils (fire, earth, water and sky). residing in moors: well, i needed a sentence that would rhyme with the previous line, i think this line makes sense (its not mentioned in the silmarillion but i assume thats where they went). poisons sand (never mentions it in the book, but poison-spider-ungoliant. sand-tuna-coastline).
    As for the next riddle i think it should be last allaince.

Unfortunately LA stated before he doesn't have time to write riddles anymore

So I'll go ahead and post a riddle:

Downfallen king and divine guide,
    Chanced a meeting there inside,
    When brave sojourner's need was dire,
    He found aid therein with wild-sire,
    Savage attack by the Shadow's claws,
    Broke not this haven from its cause,
    To host its patrons, old and new,
    Through smoky haze with heady brew.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

And just in case you don't like that last one, here's another:

Guarded tower, hidden throne,
    Secret flower, song of stone,
    Seven guards and seven names,
    A dozen houses all aflame,
    A tribute to wonders of old,
    Until the traitor's soul was sold.
    Wood and stone-
    Bronze and iron-
    Silver, gold, and steel.
    All fell beneath the dark onslaught,
    The dour day their doom was wrought,
    The day their fate was sealed.

Again, happy Cinco de Mayo! Remember, beer-centric holidays are the best holidays of all
    Last edited by Womdon; May 05 2008 at 08:33 PM.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

Nice riddles, Womdon! The second looks like Gondamon...
    [color=gray][i]The bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. [size=3][color=gold]"Elendil!"[/size][/color] he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"[/i][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by HackernSlasher View Post

I was actually refering to the time when morgoth stole the four silmarils. Despair for an Age: The noldor's oath.
    of fire, water, earth, sky defiles: Morgoth touched the four silmarils (fire, earth, water and sky). residing in moors: well, i needed a sentence that would rhyme with the previous line, i think this line makes sense (its not mentioned in the silmarillion but i assume thats where they went). poisons sand (never mentions it in the book, but poison-spider-ungoliant. sand-tuna-coastline).
    As for the next riddle i think it should be last allaince.
    um dude there were only three Silmarils, and they had nothing to do with earth, fire, water, sky, etc, they just contained the light of the Two Trees of Valinor... Anyway..

Downfallen king and divine guide,
    Chanced a meeting there inside,
    When brave sojourner's need was dire,
    He found aid therein with wild-sire,
    Savage attack by the Shadow's claws,
    Broke not this haven from its cause,
    To host its patrons, old and new,
    Through smoky haze with heady brew.

Heh, sounds like the house of Beorn to me

And I would guess Gondolin also, fits perfectly..

The answer to the second is indeed Gondolin (I assume that's what LA meant, freudian slip)

The first was intended to be the Prancing Pony, actually, but after thinking about it the riddle fits the house of Beorn to the tee as well. So good job guys, you're pretty good at riddle-guessing

Doh! Yes, I meant Gondolin. *blushes*
    [color=gray][i]The bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. [size=3][color=gold]"Elendil!"[/size][/color] he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"[/i][/color]

Doh! Yes, I meant Gondolin. *blushes*

EDIT: Doh! Double post! *blushes again*

Morning folks, how's it going today? Personally, I'm muching on some cold pizza and enjoying the fact my boss is in a meeting. Ahhh, fine morning so far.

Well, no riddles up at the moment that I can see, so here's one of mine:

Blackskinned guardian, born of Gondor,
    That no sword nor stone could sunder,
    Tall and mighty in the glory of Arnor,
    With cunning mind and heart of thunder,
    Towering fang whose sight was vast,
    Grand arcane westernesse bulwark,
    Protector of treasures from ancient past,
    Hidden kingly gems and secrets dark.

I even managed to make it through last night's party without a hangover today. Now that was a trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    Morning folks, how's it going today? Personally, I'm muching on some cold pizza and enjoying the fact my boss is in a meeting. Ahhh, fine morning so far.

Well, no riddles up at the moment that I can see, so here's one of mine:

Blackskinned guardian, born of Gondor,
    That no sword nor stone could sunder,
    Tall and mighty in the glory of Arnor,
    With cunning mind and heart of thunder,
    Towering fang whose sight was vast,
    Grand arcane westernesse bulwark,
    Protector of treasures from ancient past,
    Hidden kingly gems and secrets dark.

I even managed to make it through last night's party without a hangover today. Now that was a trick!
    I would say it is Isengard, though it is a guess.

I was going for the tower of Orthanc (the structure in the middle of Isengard), but Isengard's close enough. Good job, Dorrodim!

Dang! I almost said Orthanc, but wasn't sure if that was it's name. Been a long long long time since I read the books. Riddles are easy for me, most of the time.

Like a sharp hound, maybe,
    Topped with scarlet fur, indeed?
    This sentinel, victim of old age,
    Has seen too much bloodshed,
    And betrayal for one to bear,
    But now it lies beneath the waves,
    Broken, forgotten, until the end...

Sorry I know it's bollocks but the Riddle thread was dying and I didn't have time to think of a good one...

Page 68 of 109 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 ... LastLast