We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 55 of 109 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Re: The Riddle-Game

Quote Originally Posted by elvyen View Post
    Excellent first riddle Fusillade, keep them coming!
    Thanks! And yes, of course the answer is indeed the Last Bridge.

All pretty obvious but here's the breakdown:

1st stanza refers to Bilbo crossing over on his way to the Lonely Mountains, and Frodo's crossing bearing the ring.

2nd refers to the 3 Nazgul Glorfindel found awaiting Frodo on his way to Rivendell.

3rd refers to Aragorn, finding the green stone left by Glorfindel as a token indicating it was safe to pass.

4th is the total give-away using the Sindarin name for the Hoarwell.
    Glamral Isten Fusillade Glamdral Glammit Glammi Glamdren Glamrik Glambo. Salvation. Meneldor. Psylent Contagion Infection Infestation Afflicted Pathological. Salivation. Meneldor.

Good morning riddlers! And a fine Wednesday morning at that. Here's a riddle I've been thinking about since yesterday,

What do you get when a rigid white sash,
    And the first yellow bloom of spring meet?
    A green-eyed acquaintance of silvery stash,
    And a blue purgative plant, not-so-sweet.
    But if botanical musing just isn't your thing,
    Consider her fight with the force of the ring,
    And imprisonment before its defeat.

It's almost a limerick, heheh. Too bad I don't remember any wisdom from my high-school english classes or I might be able to get the metre correct.
    Last edited by Womdon; Mar 19 2008 at 12:23 PM.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

After reading it over, it looks like it's probably tougher than I wanted it to be. I will say that if you can figure out which two plants it references then the riddle's a snap.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

Wow, that one is hard. Well the only woman to have a ring would be Galadriel, but I don't think she really fits the lines...

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

A more precise wording would have been "forces" of the ring, rather than force.

(in other words, the answer's not a ringbearer)

So a plant that fought "forces of the Ring", i.e. Ringwraiths?

Galadriel's Mallorn Trees (again)? I don't know.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hmm.. the first part seems to reference Mallorn trees again, being that they bloomed yellow in spring, with a silver trunk, then afterwards had leaves green above and silver below; the green-eyed acquaintance of silvery stash? Then the blue purgative plant seems to be Athleas; the blue being that to be used in healing it was bruised first..

So if I'm right, Mallorn and Athelas unfortunately leaves me stumped. I can't think of any woman who was ever imprisoned by the forces of Evil; fighting the forces of the Ring seems like it could be Sauron himself, which leant me towards Luthien, given that she was "imprisoned" to the Doom of Men later on?

Good riddle Womdon

Thanks Jonwah, but I'm starting to think it's a clunker. Oh well, guess it happens now and then.

Buuuut maybe someone can still figure it out. The two plants mentioned are real life plants whose names were used by Tolkein for a couple of his characters. In the interest of moving things along, I'll give a hint... the answer to the riddle is an NPC in the game as well. In fact, if I remember correctly she even gives you a quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    The two plants mentioned are real life plants whose names were used by Tolkein for a couple of his characters.
    ...... Rosie?
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

edited to hide my foolishness
    Last edited by elvyen; Mar 20 2008 at 03:27 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

Good morning riddlers! And a fine Wednesday morning at that. Here's a riddle I've been thinking about since yesterday,

It's almost a limerick, heheh. Too bad I don't remember any wisdom from my high-school english classes or I might be able to get the metre correct.
    Eowyn. (Another excellent, and rather poetic riddle)

Lalia is my guess.

-SarahJo, Gladden server
    Last edited by MissGrace; Mar 20 2008 at 02:33 PM.

Actually, after thinking about it some more, I'm saying Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.

Lobelia sounds like a good possibility, how about Elanor (sic?) for the other flower? The daughter of Sam and the golden "sun-flower" of Lothlorien, which I believe (guess) bloomed in spring.
    Last edited by sloth72khs; Mar 20 2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: For spelling and added content

..yeah your right lobelia does fit the last two lines perfectly doesnt she...
    but the first lines? could the two plants meeting refer, not to her name, but rather to her parents meeting and producing her? < were they named after the plants described? primrose isnt blue or a purgative..and green-eyed..
    and her dad was Blanco Boffin. blanco=white? (white sash?)
    (err oops i mean bracegirdle..)
    ...ill shut up now
    Last edited by elvyen; Mar 21 2008 at 10:55 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

I would think Marigold Twospade.
    [color=red]Burhelm[/color]
    [color=blue] officer of[/color] [url=http://www.lotrocotl.com] Creations of the Light[/url]
    [color=green] on Gladden[/color]

Woah, whole slew of guesses since I last checked. And as it just so happens, one of them is right! Woohoo!

Lobelia's correct.

I should probably explain myself since this one was a bit convoluted. The first two lines represent her parents, Blanco Bracegirdle (rigid white sash) and Primrose Boffin (first yellow bloom of spring). The primrose is mostly a british flower, which is why it's not too well known here in the states.

Lobelia is a genus of plant with several varieties, but most of them are blue and most are used as a purgative. In other words, they induce vomiting. You gotta love Tolkein's sense of naming .

Promise my next riddle won't be that obscure, heheh.

That was a sweet riddle Now for me to try and match it!

-SarahJo, 50 Minstrel, Gladden Server

Quote Originally Posted by MissGrace View Post
    That was a sweet riddle Now for me to try and match it!

-SarahJo, 50 Minstrel, Gladden Server
    Please don't that one gave me a headache

A tale I carry, from your side
    To my friend, while you hide
    A pipe I smoke, short and black
    As I sneer, behind your back

Quote Originally Posted by MissGrace View Post
    A tale I carry, from your side
    To my friend, while you hide
    A pipe I smoke, short and black
    As I sneer, behind your back
    Bill Ferny?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000005545/01002/signature.png]Tenuvial[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Entdaddy View Post
    Bill Ferny?
    Yup, good job!

Entdaddy, do you mind if i throw my latest riddle up here while we wait for you to put one up? I just finished it off this evening

I wanted to experiment with a really complex or unique rhyme scheme and metre. I held to the patterns I wanted for a while but by the end i had deviated
    anyway,

Atop a ledge, at edge, no guard, nor hedge, not barred, not bridged.
    Not scarred, uncaged, not tame, or mild, for ages piled o’er ages, wild; courageous;
    pure hearts undefiled, and almost childlike in their agelessness
    Fell lords, gnarled swords, they’ve drawn.
    They’ve soared, toward dawn, towards foreign sun.
    to distant shores they’ve come and gone with extraordinary fearlessness
    Starlight on wings, by night, did cling, did bring them sight, did shine like spring; bathed all in white.
    With kingly might, that fateful flight saved all, gave all salvation, light.
    Their call set fires alight again; in hearts rekindled will to fight.
    Though dwindled then, dwarves, elves, and men allied with them.
    Then was renewed the strength within themselves,
    and so begin the hellish war to win.

Last edited by elvyen; Mar 21 2008 at 04:13 AM.

Very Nice, I'm going to say your talking about the Eagles and their arrival at the Battle of Five Armies or at the Gates of Mordor.

Quote Originally Posted by elvyen View Post
    Atop a ledge, at edge, no guard, nor hedge, not barred, not bridged. - This is the Eagles eyre
    Not scarred, uncaged, not tame, or mild, for ages piled o’er ages, wild; courageous;
    pure hearts undefiled, and almost childlike in their agelessness - The eagles are proud, and wild creatures who are the servants of Manwe
    Fell lords, gnarled swords, they’ve drawn. - I'm guessing this is either the Nazgul or the orcs at Erebor OR it is the talons of the Eagles themselves
    They’ve soared, toward dawn, towards foreign sun.
    to distant shores they’ve come and gone with extraordinary fearlessness - The eagles had to fly very far east, far from their home
    Starlight on wings, by night, did cling, did bring them sight, did shine like spring; bathed all in white. - I think they flew by night and arrived at dawn?
    With kingly might, that fateful flight saved all, gave all salvation, light. - Their arrival turned the tide of battle in both fights
    Their call set fires alight again; in hearts rekindled will to fight.
    Though dwindled then, dwarves, elves, and men allied with them.
    Then was renewed the strength within themselves,
    and so begin the hellish war to win. - The Eagles served as a rallying call at both battles which rekindled the will to fight when all seemed lost

Very nice riddle, elvyen, I like the scheme. I would also agree that it sounds like eagles, but I'll guess the riddle's about their role in the War of Wrath, when Morgoth was finally overthrown.

Page 55 of 109 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast