We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Re: The Riddle-Game

Morning everyone welcome to monday...

well im glad to see it wasnt guessed yet
    Jonwah and Womdon, both excellent guesses! but no, they're not correct
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

Ok then, I'll take one more literary stab at it and say 'and'.

EDIT: You know when the first two guesses are as varied as 'comma' and 'God' you're dealing with a challenging riddle
    Last edited by Womdon; Mar 03 2008 at 09:17 AM.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

another great guess, but nope
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

OK... after, before, behind, beside, below, between, inside, bridge, beyond and throughout...

Whatever it is it's certainly versatile.

Perhaps the past?
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

Time?

. . . and a few more characters to feed the board-gnomes so they'll let me post.

SL
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/silverlocket/]Silverlocket's Big Ol' Bucket O' Blather[/url]

Two more great guesses. And you know what, from a certain standpoint, they DO kinda fit... don't they...
    Hmm, well theyre not what I had in mind hehe
    Womdon you were on the right track earlier

and good idea listing the words

Quote Originally Posted by elvyen View Post
    It is after, and it is before. It is behind, and it is below,
    It is beside, but it is also between. And of course it is inside,
    It is a bridge, and to all things it grants relative place; in space, in time and in thought.
    It is beyond but is also throughout
    What is it?

Time to take another guess.

Well there's so few tangible things that are applicable to all those descriptions, which is what led me to think the answer could be a grammatical term or word itself, rather than that word's intrinsic meaning.

If you take all the descriptors in the riddle in the literal sense (IE look at what is below the word 'below', after the word 'after', before the word 'before') and combine that with what I believe are the descriptors of the answer itself - the last two lines - then...

Well, you're still left with a guess, heheh. But thanks for letting me know I was on the right track before. This time, I'll guess, "Is".

I'll guess the word "It" itself. Nice guess, Wormdon, I actually agree with yours more. But since you took it (that is, the word "is")... man, word-play gets confusing...
    Last edited by LOTRFan101; Mar 03 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

no the answer isnt visible in the riddle through wordplay, that's a little too tricksy even for me hehe,
    look at the list of words that it is
    except for line 3, line 3 is more for definition

you were right womdon, its a gramatical thing
    i still stand by this riddle, i still think it will elicit the "gah i shouldve seen that" reaction, not the "oh give me a break" reaction lol

though i may be wrong about that

..at least it wasnt too easy hehe
    Last edited by elvyen; Mar 03 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Newcomer to the thread, though I've read most of the riddles, and even silently guessed a few.

I'll take a shot:

Is it punctuation?

Or perhaps order (though probably not because it's not grammatical)?
    Glamral Isten Fusillade Glamdral Glammit Glammi Glamdren Glamrik Glambo. Salvation. Meneldor. Psylent Contagion Infection Infestation Afflicted Pathological. Salivation. Meneldor.

Hmmm, ok. I've got a few more guesses, but I don't want to just fire them off like a machine gun.

The one word that keeps striking me is 'below'. I'm thinking that should be the biggest hint...

How about "line"?

Oh, and hello Fusillade! Always nice to see a new riddler

Welcome to the thread Fusilade, at least to the posting aspect of it hehe

nope neither guess is correct
    look at the list of words that "it" is; from the first, second and fourth lines
    what do they have in common?

the third line is the definition

ok no more hints hehe

A preposition? (That's what all those words... beyond, below etc... are called, grammatically). Anyway, that's my guess.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

A location? They all are somewhere something can be.

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

It is after, and it is before. It is behind, and it is below,
    It is beside, but it is also between. And of course it is inside,
    It is a bridge, and to all things it grants relative place; in space, in time and in thought.
    It is beyond but is also throughout
    What is it?

After,
    Before,
    Behind,
    Below,
    Beyond,
    Throughout.

Haha! I think LOTRFan101 might have got it right, or close; I would have said preposition as well but they are also all adverbs:

Adverbs typically express some relation of place, time, manner, attendant circumstance, degree, cause, inference, result, condition, exception, concession, purpose, or means.

It fits the bill, even if it's wrong.. wonderful riddle though

Nice work LOTRFan101 you got it!

Ahhhh, I totally feel like I should have gotten that! Especially with all the guesses I took. Good job LOTRFan! And nice riddle Elvyen, definitely a fun one.

Well I've got a riddle prepared ready to share. Not sure if someone else wants a turn at it or not, if so you can go ahead and skip over this one:

Fire - will - power - control
    Perception - rejection - rage - war
    Stricken - usurped - taint - soul
    Failure - betrayal - water - lore
    Placid - patient - discovery - love
    Greed - hate - present - alone
    Descent - darkness - whisper - drove
    Intruder - eluder - courage - atone
    Resistance - strength - passage - road
    Separation - desire - need - search
    Battles - fear - heavy - bowed
    Burden - journey - ending - perched
    Refusal - reunion - taken - fell
    Fate - destruction - release - quell

It is lore-specific, and similar in style to a couple riddles written a while back. Not sure if it will be tough or easy, we'll see I guess

Well that seems to describe the entire story of Smeagol's acquiring of the ring, losing it to Bilbo, and eventually getting it back only to die in the fires of Mt. Doom...
    [center][color=#3355FF][size=3][b]L[/b][/size][/color][color=#3377EE][size=3][b]A[/b][/size][/color][color=#3388CC][size=3][b]N[/b][/size][/color][color=#3388AA][size=3][b]F[/b][/size][/color][color=#338888][size=3][b]O[/b][/size][/color][color=#338866][size=3][b]R[/b][/size][/color][color=#338844][size=3][b]O[/b][/size][/color][color=#338822][size=3][b]D[/b][/size][/color] [color=#772222][size=2][b]50 Elf hunter[/b][/size][/color][/center]
    [center][color=#0000AA][size=2][b][/b][/size][/color][color=#8888FF][size=2][b]Arkenstone[/b][/size][/color][color=#AA0000][size=2][b][/b][/size][/color] [color=#AAAFFA][size=2][b]DeepHallow Brewers[/b][/size][/color][/center]

Yep, the answer's the One Ring. The first part is supposed to be describing its forging and subsequent path to the river, but the rest is indeed as you described. Good job!

Here's another since that one went down so fast:

Nobility and arrogance is where it always starts,
    Loathed by those that know me well, I'm a shadow in their hearts.
    Admired by some with daring souls, I offer what they seek,
    While the wealthy tug my strings, I swallow up the meek,
    But rich or poor, none are free from the havok that I wreak.
    Widowmaker and ruthless taker of your only son,
    I've seen all corners of the world with permanence in none.
    Since the birth of loyalty I've been an eternal pall,
    Direct or indirect, my friends, I've influenced you all,
    Take heed of history's warnings lest your loved ones hear my call.
    Last edited by Womdon; Mar 04 2008 at 03:45 PM.

Sounds a lot like war to me

very well written riddle even if i'm wrong hehe

Yep, war it is! Never been a big fan of it myself.

Well, after a couple really hard riddles you guys can always count on me to bring the difficulty level down a notch or two

Speaking of such, here's another for you all:

Humble and joyful, so sadly betrayed
    Sudden burst of hatred as friendship was frayed
    Ringbearer in action, but peaceful of soul
    Thinking only of sweet summer days and of pole

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    Y
    Humble and joyful, so sadly betrayed
    Sudden burst of hatred as friendship was frayed
    Ringbearer in action, but peaceful of soul
    Thinking only of sweet summer days and of pole
    Deagol, perhaps?

SL
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/silverlocket/]Silverlocket's Big Ol' Bucket O' Blather[/url]

Deagol it is, GJ Silverlocket. Here's one last puzzle from me today...

I care no more for gold or jewels than sands,
    My lord came before any kings or warbands,
    Ringbearer for well over two thousand years,
    While fearing no pain nor death nor tears,
    Feeling no hatred and wanting for naught,
    Sojourn to big brother is all that I've sought.

Not sure why I've got rings on the brain today, but I do
    Last edited by Womdon; Mar 04 2008 at 01:56 PM.

Is it a Ringwraith? Sounds like it... *follows up success with the preposition one by failing at this*
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Nope, Ringwraiths isn't the answer... but don't worry LOTRFan, I'm pretty sure I've got the record for most incorrect guesses secured for a while

Page 48 of 109 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 98 ... LastLast