We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Wow, nice one. Hm.
    Okay, here goes:

I am family history,
    A bird's nest.
    A slicer and a chewer I held, for a while.
    A pounder and a smasher, too.
    I am a philanthropist, in the end,
    and my own epitaph.

Good luck!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000006a50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Hundvir - Lvl 75 RK | Periadoc - Lvl 41 Burglar | Estelriel - Lvl 75 Warden
    Proud member of Daro A Maetho, Elven RP Kinship, Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheAC View Post
    Wow, nice one. Hm.
    Okay, here goes:

I am family history,
    A bird's nest.
    A slicer and a chewer I held, for a while.
    A pounder and a smasher, too.
    I am a philanthropist, in the end,
    and my own epitaph.

Good luck!
    Is the answer Tom, Bert, and Bill?

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

Aye, that be correct! Your turn!

PS: Bonus points if you can explain the philanthropist line.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000006a50b/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Philanthropist = humanitarian. If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

I'm drawing a blank for a new riddle, so someone else can take it. I would have been in trouble versus Gollum. I can solve them easy enough, but I'm horrible at thinking them up.
    Last edited by Cala_Romello; Aug 15 2012 at 09:56 AM.

The Éored of the West-Mark ~ Lore-accurate Rohirric Kinship on Landroval

Ha! Never thought of that. Very punny.

Actually, it was an obscure reference to the fact that the trolls' gold was given by Bilbo to various good causes in and around Hobbiton.

One more time

Alright, 6 months without a riddle is to much I'll try it one more time :-)

I saved many from doom
    Including 5 great
    I was brought by one White
    After dark, I came with the light.

Who am I?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001046cd/01008/signature.png][/charsig]

Hello, 1st time guessing on this thread. My guess would be: Erkenbrand. He appeared at dawn during the Battle of the Hornburg, lead by Gandalf the White, and with his men were able to save Theoden, Eomer, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Hello, 1st time guessing on this thread. My guess would be: Erkenbrand. He appeared at dawn during the Battle of the Hornburg, lead by Gandalf the White, and with his men were able to save Theoden, Eomer, Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.
    And your first guess is also the correct one (and the explanation is also spot on)!! Gratz to you Wilros, and the floor is all yours now. Looking forward to your riddle ;-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000001046cd/01008/signature.png][/charsig]

Thanks Conamir. OK, I'll give riddle-making a try then:

A word that comes from a black tongue,
    Meant to describe a hated one.
    Wrongly used for the fighter,
    Of a great, lurking spider,
    Though he thought the mistake a bit fun.

There, even made it in a sort-of limerick rhyming style!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

This doesnt really rhyme but...

"The man who invented this does not want this,
    The man who bought this does not need this,
    The man who needs it does not know it."

What am I?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyMikey View Post
    This doesnt really rhyme but...

"The man who invented this does not want this,
    The man who bought this does not need this,
    The man who needs it does not know it."

What am I?
    The riddles don’t have to rhyme, but I believe you are supposed to get one right before you post one of your own.

In any case, I have pondered your riddle but haven’t come up with a good guess. There aren’t many inventions by men in Middle Earth, unless you mean male instead of referring to the race of man. Any hints?

Sting?

And for the other riddle asked out of order, the answer is coffin.
    [img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/lotro/0/8/5/8/7/108587oElJR.png[/img]
    Ardaheru - 85 Captain | Geldarion - 75 Hunter
    [URL="http://thefanaticalswordsman.wordpress.com"]The Fanatical Swordsman[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by rewrando5 View Post
    Sting?
    I believe you are thinking of the correct event with Sting, but the answer is not an object, or a person for that matter.

Oh I've got it but I don't have the actual name--
    the word from the Black Speech that the orcs used to name Sam when he came up the stairs and they thought he was an elf--because it's their derogatory word for elf and I can't remember it....
    Tark? something like that...
    My sister lost my copy of RotK. I blame this.
    Wait, I googled it (and I was right!!!!) and it actually means man of Gondor. but still.

Tark.

[first post ever...]

Quote Originally Posted by Fallyn_Irlandes View Post
    Oh I've got it but I don't have the actual name--
    the word from the Black Speech that the orcs used to name Sam when he came up the stairs and they thought he was an elf--because it's their derogatory word for elf and I can't remember it....
    Tark? something like that...
    My sister lost my copy of RotK. I blame this.
    Wait, I googled it (and I was right!!!!) and it actually means man of Gondor. but still.

Tark.

[first post ever...]
    Congrats on your first post ever! And you got it right, Tark is the answer I was looking for. The floor is yours to come up with a riddle of your own…

Congrats on your first post ever! And you got it right, Tark is the answer I was looking for. The floor is yours to come up with a riddle of your own…
    Ooh. Um.

Donner of the golden hobbit-bane

Ooh. Um.

Donner of the golden hobbit-bane
    Well, golden hobbit bane sounds like the One Ring to me. So the donners of the ring would be:

A. Smeagol/Gollum
    B. Bilbo
    C. Frodo
    D. Sam
    E. Sauron

Not sure which one you would be looking for. Am I on the right track?

Well, golden hobbit bane sounds like the One Ring to me. So the donners of the ring would be:

A. Smeagol/Gollum
    B. Bilbo
    C. Frodo
    D. Sam
    E. Sauron

Not sure which one you would be looking for. Am I on the right track?
    No, though thinking back on it bane was perhaps the wrong word...more like...

Donner of a golden thing no hobbit would ever don

Edith: and apparently I may have killed the thread so....
    here.

Wearer of yellow thing no hobbit has ever worn
    Last edited by Fallyn_Irlandes; Apr 23 2013 at 09:07 PM.

here.

I'm stumped by this one. The meaning seems to have changed from one version to the next. Yellow having replaced Golden would seem to suggest that the thing in question is not made of gold, or a metal for that matter. Is the thing donned by a hobbit? My mind is just drawing a blank on yellow things in LotR. I seem to remember some yellow hoods in the Hobbit, but that's hardly helpful.
    If it is a hobbit that dons this yellow thing, then this yellow thing is not something that no hobbit would ever wear. Both Frodo and Bilbo set out on journeys in their respective stories that a hobbit normally would not, but I don't see a connection between that and a yellow thing.

Sorry to go on for so long, goodluck to whomever gets this.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000000af98e/01008/signature.png]Gurthalion[/charsig]
    [OOC] Faja: 'new expansion isnt even out yet, i've already failed at it'

here.

Sméagol (although Déagol found it, I'm not sure he ever was a "wearer" in the short time he had it before Gollum killed him)
    Radian- Champion- Landroval

here.

Sorry for not posting another guess, I just couldn’t come up with something plausible after my thought on the One Ring wasn’t correct.

So, thinking about it again, a golden thing that no hobbit would wear could be a crown, but the Crown of Gondor was silver/white in color and I am not sure if any other crowns are described very well in the books. Also not sure how this would be a hobbit bane?

Or, another option for something most hobbits wouldn’t wear is shoes (though some Stoors in the Marish were known to wear boots), but I have trouble coming up with something yellow/golden related to shoes.

Perhaps you can offer another hint?

Sorry for not posting another guess, I just couldn’t come up with something plausible after my thought on the One Ring wasn’t correct.

So, thinking about it again, a golden thing that no hobbit would wear could be a crown, but the Crown of Gondor was silver/white in color and I am not sure if any other crowns are described very well in the books. Also not sure how this would be a hobbit bane?

Or, another option for something most hobbits wouldn’t wear is shoes (though some Stoors in the Marish were known to wear boots), but I have trouble coming up with something yellow/golden related to shoes.

Perhaps you can offer another hint?
    There is a certain character who has yellow boots (and something blue)... I shall not give the name because I couldn't post a riddle and I'm unsure if the certain character is correct answer.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    There is a certain character who has yellow boots (and something blue)... I shall not give the name because I couldn't post a riddle and I'm unsure if the certain character is correct answer.
    That would be Iarwain Ben-adar, is that correct? (fantastic find Dweorg ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by conamir View Post
    That would be Iarwain Ben-adar, is that correct? (fantastic find Dweorg ;-)
    Yes.

(sorry for the &&&&&& riddle/hint--but congrats for getting the correct answer anyway!)

So, as Dweorg mentioned he couldn't give the answer because he didn't know a riddle I guess it's up to me (as "giver of the answer", could make a nice in-game title) now to take his rightful place ;-)

Here we go, hope it's not to simple for you all;

Once I belonged to a precious of the Hunter
    Then I was forged by the Hunter to serve his kin
    Used many times and never unheeded
    Finally destroyed by the followers of the White

Who am I?

Page 107 of 109 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 LastLast