We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Re: The Riddle-Game

Sorry, once I start reading The Silmarillion it's hard to stop! I'll get on it later today, though.

I believe the first line meant that the name of the letter "a" is the same (and/or sounds the same) as the word "a"; accordingly it's 'true to its name.' At least, that's how I figured it.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Oh, looks like that first line was more confusing than I intended. I just meant that "The first shall stay true to its name", as in "The first is the first". First letter of answer, first letter of alphabet.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

When first they saw me fly
    Within one day I'd die.
    The sea-lover cast me down
    Ere the unmaking of a crown.

Who was I?
    Last edited by gradivus; Apr 10 2008 at 11:09 PM.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000064094/01001/signature.png]Mugwump[/charsig][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=lime]Note to players who want to be considered literate: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]You're [/I]= You are. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]Your [/I]= Belonging to you. [I]It's[/I] = It is. [I]Its[/I] = belonging to it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=cyan][I]They're[/I] = They are. [I]Their[/I] = Belonging to them. [I]There[/I] = At that place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=lime][SIZE=1][COLOR=yellow][I]Items[/I] = More than one item. [I]Item's[/I] = Belonging to the item. (True for almost all nouns.)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sounds like Elwing to me, but I don't know if I'm thinking about it properly..
    Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

Elrodan - 49 Capt, Elendilmir - Aurora Australis

No, not Elwing.

Is the answer Ancalagon the Black? I believe Earendil killed him within a day of his release during the War of Wrath.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    Is the answer Ancalagon the Black? I believe Earendil killed him within a day of his release during the War of Wrath.
    You're right, Womdon! Below are excerpts from The Silmarillion about the War of Wrath, when the host of the Valar finally came to Middle Earth and defeated Melkor. I've highlighted the parts that relate to the riddle.

Then, seeing that his hosts were overthrown and his power dispersed, Morgoth quailed, and he dared not to come forth himself. But he loosed upon his foes the last desperate assault that he had prepared, and out of the pits of Angband dear issued the winged dragons, that had not before been seen; and so sudden and ruinous was the onset of that dreadful fleet that the host of the Valar was driven back...

But Eärendil came, shining with white flame, and about Vingilot were gathered all the great birds of heaven and Thorondor was their captain, and there was battle in the air all the day and through a dark night of doubt. Before the rising of the sun Eärendil slew Ancalagon the Black, the mightiest of the Dragon-host, and cast him from the sky....

Then [Morgoth] was bound with the chain Angainor ... and his iron crown they beat into a collar for his neck, and his head was bowed upon his knees. And the two Silmarils which remained to Morgoth were taken from his crown....

Incidentally, as you probably know, the name Eärendil means "lover of the sea."

cool riddle Gradivus, i liked it a lot
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by elvyen View Post
    cool riddle Gradivus, i liked it a lot
    Thanks, Elvyen!

Indeed, nice riddle, Gradivus. I always like the lore-based ones, although I'm not picky. Any good puzzle will make me happy

Ok, so I'll toss a riddle up for grabs then, a quickie that isn't too nerve-wracking:

It's to the strength of others that I'll ever pine,
    Slender, long, ambitious, but tenuous as twine,
    When creeping and crawling I truly feel fine,
    Morning glory's mother and father of wine,
    And the vibrant master of meandering line.
    Last edited by Womdon; Apr 11 2008 at 07:51 PM.

It's to the strength of others that I'll ever pine,
    Slender, long, ambitious, but tenuous as twine,
    When creeping and crawling I truly feel fine,
    Morning glory's mother and father of wine,
    And the vibrant master of meandering line.
    Pine, twine, fine, wine, line...

Vine!

Or shine.
    Ooh, shiiiiiiinyyyy.

But yeah vine's probably the right answer.
    [SIZE="4"]Not a player of LOTRO, an inhabitant of Middle-earth.[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]Who hates the new forum software.[/SIZE]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001fe149/01008/signature.png]Eordel[/charsig]

Yup yup, vine it is! You're pretty good at guessing my riddles, gradivus

You're pretty good at guessing my riddles, gradivus
    Took me less than five seconds to figure out; that one seemed to have more clues than it did words!

In the same direction 'neath the sun they fly.
    They sometimes bleed, but don't fall when they die.
    None share the same shape, but all the same hue.
    As they increase in number they become more few.

Sounds like clouds to me...
    not going to post a riddle just yet, im not very confident in my answer.
    "And long there he lay, an image of the spendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world."

It doesnt get any better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by hezrin View Post
    Sounds like clouds to me...
    not going to post a riddle just yet, im not very confident in my answer.
    Indeed, clouds in the sky. Post away!

Out of the Wood I came, and new wood came out of me.
    I went into Doom, but doom did not befall me.
    I was given as a gift by both a Queen and a gardener,
    and I helped to heal Shark's destruction.

What am I?
    "And long there he lay, an image of the spendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world."

It doesnt get any better than this.

I don't quite understand the last line of the clouds one.
    [SIZE="4"]Not a player of LOTRO, an inhabitant of Middle-earth.[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]Who hates the new forum software.[/SIZE]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001fe149/01008/signature.png]Eordel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by hezrin View Post
    Out of the Wood I came, and new wood came out of me.
    I went into Doom, but doom did not befall me.
    I was given as a gift by both a Queen and a gardener,
    and I helped to heal Shark's destruction.

What am I?
    Seeds? Or more specifically, the seeds of Lothlorien that Galadriel gave to Sam.

I don't know if I can give two answers, but it's the Soil of Lorien/Seed that Galadriel gave to Sam.
    If I had to choose one of those I'd say the Soil.

It came from Lorien (the Wood), it helped to regrow the trees and such in the Shire (or sprouted a new tree if talking about the Seed).
    It went to Mt. Doom with Sam, and survived.
    It was given by Galadriel to Sam and from Sam to The Shire.
    It helped regrow the Shire after "Sharky" was killed by Wormtounge.

Edit:
    Ah, beat me to it
    [CENTER] Level 65 Hunter // Level 65 Warden // Level 65 Captain // Level 65 Lore Master // Level 65 Champion
    Level 65 Minstrel // Level 65 Burglar // Level 65 Rune Keeper // Level 50 Guardian
    [COLOR=Lime]Ongbú[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]rz Tracker[/COLOR] says, "Stop hittin' me, you slug!"
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TheScyphozoa View Post
    I don't quite understand the last line of the clouds one.
    As they increase in number they become more few.

Think of a morning with a couple dozen small clouds in the sky. Then more clouds form during the day. As the number of clouds grow they merge into bigger clouds until there are only a few, very large clouds in the sky, and finally only one big cloud covering most or all of the sky.
    Last edited by gradivus; Apr 13 2008 at 03:55 PM.

Gotcha. Nice riddle!

No one has to answer this one, but since nobody has posted a new riddle and I've been reading with some interest of late, I'll throw up an easy one until the geniuses return:

Born in a bottle
    Bottles are bourn on me
    [URL=http://www.saingalad.com][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000004e006/01008/signature.png]Mythlas[/charsig][/URL]

whats in my pocket?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by edwinunger View Post
    No one has to answer this one, but since nobody has posted a new riddle and I've been reading with some interest of late, I'll throw up an easy one until the geniuses return:

Born in a bottle
    Bottles are bourn on me
    Is the answer a ship?

Page 62 of 109 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 ... LastLast