We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 46 of 109 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2705

Thread: The Riddle-Game

Re: The Riddle-Game

The Eagles, probably Thorondor to be specific. I'm in a real riddle-solving mood today, just did a quest that involved getting a series of riddles and placing them in order, its a good brain exercise

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

Thorondor is correct. Good job e h b, I thought that one might be a toughie.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

It would have been, but I'm reading Volume XI of HOME, so Thorondor is quite on my mind.

e.h.b
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000000a3c89/01001/signature.png]Eroin[/charsig]
    and the ever watchful warg, waiting from the shadows, fear the name of Bagulrat.

Sorry e_h_b, I didn't want to steal your turn or anything but I had been working on my first riddle and I wanted a bit of input from you guys.. How did I do?

A kindred spirit was I,
    Of Elf, Man, and Valar,
    Like in body and mind,
    But none true was I.
    For a blessed time I dwelt,
    With the most unseen of Eldar,
    And was ne'er beheld by mortal sight.
    To my kin's tainted land I returned,
    And from the ashes we rose anew,
    By a curse wrongly laid was I slew,
    To return to my father in Mandos.
    My scion could make Ulmo kiss Elbereth,
    My heirs remade Endor, and held it long,
    They could throw the mighty to their feet and fall,
    From grace just as mightily themselves.
    So who might I be?

Very interesting riddle... I can tell I'm going to have to think a while upon it.
    [COLOR="Cyan"]Landroval - Nibenrhaw ~ Loremaster | Eladrid ~ Burglar | Squeesh ~ Defiler[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Orange"]Meneldor - Fungushnitzel ~ Minstrel | Clingan ~ Champion | Snapnakh ~ Stalker[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonwah View Post

A kindred spirit was I,
    Of Elf, Man, and Valar,
    Like in body and mind,
    But none true was I.
    For a blessed time I dwelt,
    With the most unseen of Eldar,
    And was ne'er beheld by mortal sight.
    To my kin's tainted land I returned,
    And from the ashes we rose anew,
    By a curse wrongly laid was I slew,
    To return to my father in Mandos.
    My scion could make Ulmo kiss Elbereth,
    My heirs remade Endor, and held it long,
    They could throw the mighty to their feet and fall,
    From grace just as mightily themselves.
    So who might I be?

Feanor, perhaps?

SL
    [url=http://my.lotro.com/silverlocket/]Silverlocket's Big Ol' Bucket O' Blather[/url]

I'm thinking Dior....

Very nice first riddle! It's much better than mine was.
    [color=gray][i]The bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. [size=3][color=gold]"Elendil!"[/size][/color] he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"[/i][/color]

I will also wager a guess... I'll guess Earendil.

He was definitely a kindred spirit to Men, Elves, and Valar, but technically wasn't any of them, as he was Half-Elven. His "scion" that could make Ulmo kiss Elbereth could either be Elrond, his son, who claimed the ring that had power over water and air. Or it could be his wife, Elwing, who was thrown to the sea but rose up a bird into the air.

The "kins tainted land" line could refer to Gondolin, where he began his life before it fell.

His offspring were Elrond and Elros. That definitely fits with "My heirs remade Endor and held it long", as the line of Elros went down through the Kings of Numenor and the Kings of Arnor.

- Interesting side note that I didn't realize until just now. That makes Aragorn and Arwen cousins. Ewwwwwwww.... -

As for the line about Mandos, Earendil did go back to Valinor but I don't think he really died, so I'm not sure if Earendil is right or not, but it's the best guess I've got right now.

Again, to the Aragorn/Arwen thing... ewww.

Gosh darn it, you took all three of my guesses
    Re Aragorn and Arwen: I guess it's like all the royal families inbreeding with each other all the time. Maybe their son had hemofilia? Do Elves or half-elves get genetic disorders?
    Last edited by LOTRFan101; Feb 26 2008 at 02:26 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Well actually, She'd be his great-great-great-great(extend for all the chieftans, kings of Arnor and kings of Numenor) cousin. And since Aragorn was descended from the Faithful, which were only distantly related to the direct line of kings (I think) then the relationship gets much more distant. Also, since Earendil was half-elven, and married an elf, technically Elrond and Elros were 3/4 elven. Elros got ripped off . And since Elrond married an elf, Arwen is technically only 6/8th Elven. That's without calculating the Maiar strain gotten from Melian.

e.h.b

hehe very interesting guesses, and a few of the lines match quite a few characters, but lastalliance was right it was Dior.. the scion part was referencing Elwing, who was called "Star-Spray", hehe... anyway I think I better start work on my next riddle!

Actually, Elrond and Elros were nine sixteenths elf (more specifically 4 sixteenths Noldorin 5 sixteenths Sindarin), six sixteenths man, and one sixteenth maia. Why I learn these things and memorize them, I have no clue.

I really need to get another riddle written. It seems like I've exhausted my supply of ideas. Now writing a riddle also includes long thinking to find an interesting topic. I'll try to get one done soon.
    Last edited by lastalliance; Feb 26 2008 at 08:19 PM.
    [color=gray][i]The bright blade of Anduril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. [size=3][color=gold]"Elendil!"[/size][/color] he cried. "I am Aragorn son of Arathorn and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"[/i][/color]

Awesome first riddle Jonwah! Welcome to the thread

Ok LA get to work!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

A haughty wolf, often cruel,
    Befriended by the fated,
    And by him was ruled,
    cursed to be slain as he had slew,
    And indeed that curse proved true.

Sorry the rhythm is bad and it's too easy.

What a great thread! Keep up the good work!
    Khazâd ai-mênu! Baruk Khazâd Ai-mênu!

Leader and Lord High Supreme Axe-Duller of The Late Knights kinship on Vilya.

Quote Originally Posted by lastalliance View Post
    A haughty wolf, often cruel,
    Befriended by the fated,
    And by him was ruled,
    cursed to be slain as he had slew,
    And indeed that curse proved true.

Sorry the rhythm is bad and it's too easy.
    Im horrible at riddle, is it smeagol?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0620500000003b01b/01003/signature.png]Butterbummy[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by mike42o42o42o View Post
    Im horrible at riddle, is it smeagol?
    No, sorry.

Is the answer Huan?

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    Is the answer Huan?
    No... I think it's the wolf raised by Melkor specifically to kill Huan... augh, what was his name!?!?

Edit: Carcharoth. Is it Carcharoth?
    Last edited by LOTRFan101; Feb 27 2008 at 04:01 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Yeah I was waffling back and forth between guessing Carcharoth (or however it's spelled) and Huan. I went with Huan because I remember his death was foretold, kinda like a curse.

Interesting riddle...

Carcharoth seems to obvious for a riddle from LA haha,
    but that could be it. I'm thinking (if the term "wolf" is here meant to be taken literally) that it couldn't be Huan because he was definitively called a hound not a wolf. But your right, the line about the curse coming true definitely seems to fit him. Though was that really a curse or just a prophecy..

Another little guess I want to throw in is Draugluin, the first werewolf, also slain by Huan.

(or how about Sauron in wolf form? hehe)
    Last edited by elvyen; Feb 27 2008 at 04:42 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a9c5/01007/signature.png]Elviendur[/charsig]
    [COLOR="Silver"][SIZE="1"]"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this earth; and many of the children of Illuvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen"[/SIZE][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Womdon View Post
    Yeah I was waffling back and forth between guessing Carcharoth (or however it's spelled) and Huan. I went with Huan because I remember his death was foretold, kinda like a curse.
    I could see both; the curse could apply to Huan or the one destined to kill Huan, as they ended up killing each other...however, I wouldn't describe Huan as "cruel", or a wolf... that's my logic anyway... where are you, LA?
    Last edited by LOTRFan101; Feb 27 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Sorry, I was gone fencing.

None of you guys have yet guessed correctly, sorry. Although many of those guesses seem to fit, as Elvyen speculated, "wolf" isn't meant to be taken literally. Hope that helps.

Turin Turambar? Just throwing wild guesses out here.
    [CENTER][COLOR=yellow]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Sorry, Turin doesn't quite fit all of the lines.

Page 46 of 109 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 ... LastLast