We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Hey guys - here is a drawing I made for the Player's Council a little while back. They asked me to share it with the general forums and I thought now was a good time to do so. Long story short, I hoped this would explain the cyclical nature of our development process (and in fact, of most game development, actually), why we know things when we know them, solicit feedback when we do, etc. Anyway, I hope this doodle is interesting and informative!

(And before you ask, no, I've got no idea why I decided to draw this going widdershins rather than clockwise.)

Making games is a surprising amount of work. And by that I mean that we game developers (and not just the LOTRO team) are constantly and perpetually surprised by how much work we've signed ourselves up for. It's also iterative work with multiple dependencies. Although we might like to pretend that makings games involves a) making a plan and then b) executing it, this is basically never the case. As you can see (and hopefully read, if my handwriting isn't utterly illegible), things like art and music can come in mid to late in the process, meaning that some of our work waits until fairly far down the line for us to discover whether it looks right, plays right, or sounds right.

Now we're not complaining. We love our jobs! And we've grown pretty accustomed to the bumpy bits in the road. But there's a particular pattern to the work and coordination involved--a pattern in roughly the shape of an ever-rolling wheel.
    Thanks for Posting I like seeing this, and development process
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Thank you Doctor Octothorpe! Love the example +AND+ the use of the word Widdershins!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWe View Post
    Thank you Doctor Octothorpe! Love the example +AND+ the use of the word Widdershins!
    Excellent and informative diagram!

But we mustn't give extra credit for "widdershins" when he uses "clockwise" in the same sentence instead of "deasil" (or var. "deosil")!
    Tuco of the Quick Post

Can I request that this thread be "un-stickied".

It's debatable that missing out any mention of the store made it wholly accurate even then.

However in today's game the pervading driver for all development is to provide a means to encourage us to use the store. Perhaps one or two pivotal staff get a pass on this but others must only survive because there work equates to store sales without regard to the customer. There can be no reason to allow some staff to continue their poorly implemented work, to the detriment of the game, if it wasn't because it was producing profits through use of the store.

Mac

Dadi, will we get a boost to our clssse

I think the forum would burst if it doesn't

I just wish him we calling ourselves raring breed

Ha, until I saw these comments, I never actually LOOKED at the development cycle diagram. I wish I had earlier. In a forum that's been going as long as this one has, I tend to assume that any stickie older than about a year has just been stuck there and forgotten.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2