We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

MadeOfLions is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.

Reported Quest Difficulty Levels and Recommendations

Hi everybody! You know what everybody likes? Everybody likes when the level of a quest and the number of people you need to complete it as reported in the Quest Journal are... I don't know... accurate. Bringing five friends when you only needed to bring two, or bringing no one when you should have brought five... that's not so much fun.

This is where you come in! It would be really great if you could use this post to report instances like this; that way, we can revise the reported challenge level of a quest so it reflects the actual level you would need to be to complete it. Also, if you complete a quest and think the Recommendation is incorrect, use this thread to make that observation as well. Here's a format that should work:

QUEST: Name of the quest
    CATEGORY: What category does the quest appear under in your Journal?
    JOURNAL LEVEL: The level of the quest in the Quest Journal
    JOURNAL ICON: Solo, Small Fellowship, Fellowship, Raid
    ACTUAL LEVEL: What level do you think the quest should *actually* be?
    ACTUAL ICON: What icon do you think the quest should *actually* be?
    REASONS: Why do you think the Actual Level or Actual Icon should be as you've recommended? Include any info here that you think might be relevant, such as the levels of the monsters involved or between you and your objective, the number and classes of people in your Fellowship, anything like that.

This way, there will be one convenient place where we can monitor such inconsistencies and work toward that beautiful future: when players will once again trust their Quest Journals not to lead them astray. Rosy, I know... but with your help we can get there!

MoL

Re: Reported Quest Difficulty Levels and Recommendations

QUEST: The Silent Judge
    CATEGORY: Angmar
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 44
    JOURNAL ICON: Solo
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 44 is fine
    ACTUAL ICON: Small Fellowship
    REASONS: The Silent Judge is a signature mob with 2 normal mob adds, one of which heals. Pretty impossible to take on solo. A group of 3 works pretty well. Also just getting to the judge has you taking out spawns of 2 or 3 normal mobs on a fairly quick (3 minute?) respawn timer. If you are solo I doubt you can move fast enough to progress through the city he is in. There is also a level 45 elite who spawns ally spiders that attack you. He is pretty much death for any solo player or even a small fellowship without healing. However due to the way he paths through the city he can be avoided, so I'll stick with a small fellowship recommendation for this one.

QUEST: Mistress of Shadows
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 43
    JOURNAL ICON: Small Fellowship
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 43 is fine
    ACTUAL ICON: Full Fellowship
    REASONS: The Mistress of Shadows is an elite who also has 2 signature mobs that added during the fight (at least when my group attempted her). In my opinion a group of 3 level 43s would probably not have a chance. This is pretty much a healer required quest due to the amount of mobs in the last encounter so I think this should not be marked as small fellowship.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerrius View Post
    QUEST: Mistress of Shadows
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 43
    JOURNAL ICON: Small Fellowship
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 43 is fine
    REASONS: The Mistress of Shadows is an elite who also has 2 signature mobs that added during the fight (at least when my group attempted her). In my opinion a group of 3 level 43s would probably not have a chance. This is pretty much a healer required quest due to the amount of mobs in the last encounter so I think this should not be marked as small fellowship.
    My only disagreement is with this one. I completed it as a level 42 LRM working with a 42 burglar and a 43 champion. It wasn't a cakewalk but it wasn't over our heads either and we didn't need a minstrel. If anything was going to be done to the advice I would probably go 44/small fellow first before I went 43/full fellow.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001ff8de/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Atreides LM | Atreidus MIN | Atreidor WRD | Atreidos GRD | Atreydes CHA[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Atreidis RNK | Atreider HNT | Atreidar BRG | Atreidys CPT[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Zerrius View Post
    QUEST: The Silent Judge
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 44
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 44 is fine
    REASONS: The Silent Judge is a signature mob with 2 normal mob adds, one of which heals. Pretty impossible to take on solo. A group of 3 works pretty well. Also just getting to the judge has you taking out spawns of 2 or 3 normal mobs on a fairly quick (3 minute?) respawn timer. If you are solo I doubt you can move fast enough to progress through the city he is in. There is also a level 45 elite who spawns ally spiders that attack you. He is pretty much death for any solo player or even a small fellowship without healing. However due to the way he paths through the city he can be avoided, so I'll stick with a small fellowship recommendation for this one.
    This is actually soloable - it is far from impossible to solo. I managed it at level 45 and so did a friend. A burglar would probably have an easier time soloing it than a champion even. Some classes, like minstrels and guardians, though, probably couldn't solo it, so a small fellowship icon might not be a bad idea.
    Last edited by LetoAtreidesII; May 22 2007 at 10:13 PM.

QUEST: A Tenuous Thread
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 50
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 50
    REASONS: The mobs you need to kill for this quest are all elites close to level 50.

QUEST: Retake Weathertop
    CATEGORY: Lone Lands
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 20
    JOURNAL ICON: Fellowship
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 25+
    REASONS: The final fight is insane. Overall, it's rather tough, but this is one of those quests that really reinforces "holy trinity" gameplay...to the point of people feeling classes are required for healing AND power regen. I've yet to find a good fellowship to complete this one...the final fight ends up sending people off to solo after the first few wipes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrslack View Post
    REASONS: The final fight is insane. Overall, it's rather tough, but this is one of those quests that really reinforces "holy trinity" gameplay...to the point of people feeling classes are required for healing AND power regen. I've yet to find a good fellowship to complete this one...the final fight ends up sending people off to solo after the first few wipes.
    Completed this with a felowship of 4 all level 20-24, two minstrels, a champion and a burgler. It was hard but we managed it, that said we had failed when we'd gone with a guardian instead of the champion. We were also using voice and have played together for a few years so all that helped.

Agreed

As another poster stated, it can be easier when working well as a team, but since most might have to look for a fellowship to do it with less organization, I would definitely recommend increasing the Level based on others with the same difficulty.....24-25.

Also, I think for feedback there will be a variance due to groups that are used to playing together as opposed to ones that just fellow to complete a quest. I would say the latter is a lot more common.
    Last edited by Capt_Justice; May 23 2007 at 10:57 AM.
    Kinshipping for a better Middle Earth - Est 2003 in AC - Justice, Kinship Leader

This quest should be a lvl 25 quest, I agree, is a very difficult and rewarding experience.

I would say this quest is a 22 or maybe a 23. The problem is people need to realize this is one of those learning curve quests. People MUST learn to work together and this is one of those quests that emphasizes it. You can do this quest with a very well organized group of 20 or 21s, but a semi organized pug group can do this at 22 or 23. 25+ groups breeze through this or are using zerg style tactics. I would recommend though that the gate closing and subsequent events do not start until the entire party passes through the gate or the gate be further away from the endfight.

I completely agree that this quest needs to be made at least 23, but I'd agree with 25 as well because of how hard it'll be with a PUG. The only thing is that if you have a PUG of 25's, which you need practically need for the boss if its a PUG and the troll doesn't bug, the rest of the instance is really easy. Its been a while since I ran the instance but I remember we rolled through the whole thing till the very end. Maybe make the rest of the place harder and raise the level?

Great Idea.

edit:
    Nevermind what I said, I just realized you can list completed quests

QUEST: Adelard's Chapter
    CATEGORY: Shire
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 7
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 9
    ACTUAL ICON: solo
    REASONS: Its a running joke that people suffer their first death (including me) in MD doing that quest where the bee hive falls, you fight bees, then before you can recover you fight bears. A few levels later I did it solo, a good fight. Used a potion and my burglar heal ability.

At the level you get the quest you need 2 people.

Options: Solo level 9-10
    Or: Small fellow 7-8
    Last edited by BuckleBelt; May 22 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckleBelt View Post
    QUEST: Adelard's Chapter
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 9
    ACTUAL ICON: solo
    REASONS: Its a running joke that people suffer their first death (including me) in MD doing that quest where the bee hive falls, you fight bees, then before you can recover you fight bears...
    Mark another up for fixing that quest. I also know of multiple people (including myself) that bit it for the first time on that quest.
    If I remember right, the bees can easily steal all your power, and auto-attacks have no chance of defeating the bears.

QUEST: Iron-jaws
    CATEGORY: Lone-lands
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 22
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 25
    ACTUAL ICON: Solo
    REASONS: You get this quest from Ost Guruth which requires you to kill Wargs. The Wargs around Ost Guruth are level 25-26 making the level 22 designation on this quest a bit low. The other warg quest in the area, Raising the Wargs' Ire, is level 25 so I believe this should be a level 25 quest as well.

QUEST: Noisome Neighbours
    CATEGORY: Lone-lands
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 23
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 26
    REASONS: The bugs you have to kill in the swamp for this are level 25-27 mixed in with other level 26-28 bog prowlers and wights. 23 is just too low of a level for a quest that requires killing up to level 27 mobs.

Also might want to take a look at the quests given by Adso Haybank in Breeland. (He's the hobbit with the camp on the road between Bree and the Shire) He requires you to kill boars / brigands / wolves / bears and then make various deliveries to people to pay them back. The problem is all these quests are level 10 and there's like 5 of them but they require killing level 12-13 mobs. Heck by the time most players even get to Adso Haybank they are at least level 12.
    Last edited by Zerrius; May 23 2007 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Hi everybody! You know what everybody likes? Everybody likes when the level of a quest and the number of people you need to complete it as reported in the Quest Journal are... I don't know...
    You know, this is an awefully inefficient way to gather information for a process (getting feedback on quest level appropriateness) that will/should continue through the life of the game - given that we'll always see new quests, expansions, and even changes to how it works by way of class and combat adjustments, weapon and armor adjustments, pet adjustments, food, etc. all the things that make "Quest Level Appropriateness" a moving target.

Here's an idea to kill this bird once and for all.

-------------------------------------------------
    Concept: Quest Log - Quest Feedback

Front Office: Quest log continues to show the quest dialogue, the quest objectives, and the quest rewards, and a new section at the bottom that allows the player to click (optionally) on a scale of 1-to-5 on whether the quest level was just right (a "3") or way too easy, or way too hard.

Back Office: Devs get a recurring report, automatically generated, that shows running stats on quests and percentages of responses that fall in the 1-to-5 ratings each by quest name, that filters and elevates those quests whose majority of responses do not fall in the bell curve. This system would apply just as easily to quests today, to quests as the game mechanics are tweaked in the future, and for new quests that are introduced later or by expansion.

Summary: Need it. This will provide an ongoing tool and feedback mechanism that persists into the future, and so we don't have to do what gracious Zerrius did at the top of the page, in a one-off exercise that is really needed on an ongoing basis. Not talking about the intrusive process we had in beta where a survey form would pop up on the screen, but one that's baked right into the quest log item, and if we have feedback to offer, its right there to offer it, and you guys have all the data fields you're looking for automatically populated back office for your use - accurately.
    Last edited by Luindir; May 22 2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Reported Quest Difficulty Levels and Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Luindir View Post
    Here's an idea to kill this bird once and for all.

-------------------------------------------------
    Concept: Quest Log - Quest Feedback
    For The Love of Pastafarians! Yes!

I know dev time is precious - but you can't tell me this wouldn't be a time saver both for us and for Turbine in the long run!

QUEST: Addie's Missing Sons
    CATEGORY: Breeland
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 16
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 15/16
    REASONS: You don't actually have to fight anyone to get this quest done, the 2nd part, finding Malin, sure needs a full fellowship unless you've got higher than required levels. But the first part just needs you to be reasonably confident to enter the barrow downs, avoid fights, and find the Perch.
    'Tis but a scratch!

Many of the East Angmar quests need an adjustment. An example from the top of my head.

QUEST: Counting the clutch
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 49
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 47
    ACTUAL ICON: Small Fellow
    REASONS: The goal is to click on six egg nests, but you have to fight through numberous 47 and 48 elite drakes. If you are careful you can take them one at a time so only a small fellow is needed.

A lot of issue is that if a quest only requires single elites they can usually be duoed or so fairly easily depending on your duo. Once a quest starts to require multiple elite pulls it becomes a full fellowship quest. Even a non-elite quest can become a small fellow quest in reality when you start to get three plus non elites in a pull.

I am assuming the Actual Level should be the approximate level of the mobs in the area that need to be defeated, that level in itself can change the fellowship size.
    Last edited by Zeph; May 22 2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added question on level.

MadeOfLions is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    Turbine, Inc.

Luindir - this is less for continual feedback going forward, as we're in a much better position to have this information be accurate the first time. This format is really the best way to get the information we need to correct the *existing* problems. Plus, instead of having to implement new tech, send it out to the servers, and sort through lots of potentially duplicate information, we get it all in one place.

It's not as fancy, but I'd argue that it's more efficient, rather than less: I can take the data from a single forum post and fix one or two quests a day, instead of waiting for information on dozens of quests to make it through the pipeline and land in my lap all at once, at a time when I almost certainly already have too much to do.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by skadoink View Post
    REASONS: You don't actually have to fight anyone to get this quest done, the 2nd part, finding Malin, sure needs a full fellowship unless you've got higher than required levels. But the first part just needs you to be reasonably confident to enter the barrow downs, avoid fights, and find the Perch.
    I note that there are a lot of things that can swarm with a fairly high aggro range, so I'd say it genuinely is at least 16th level, but solo would be fine.

Quest Name: Chapter 2: In the Gaunt-Man's Grasp.
    Category: Book 2 Epic, Lone-Lands
    Journal Level: 28
    Journal Icon: Solo/Epic
    Actual Level: 30
    Actual Icon: Small fellowship/Epic

Tried this when I got it, at 28th and it was white. Fighting yellow and orange wights just to get to the encounter only to see a signature and 2-3 adds in the 30 range. There are also a number of neutral Oathbreakers surrounding the mob you need to kill. I had a 25 Hunter in support. I figured that if the journal expected me to solo this, maybe the Oathbreakers will help out once I begin the fight. Not the case. Oathbreakers stood by and a 30+ Bog-Lord even decided to run into the fight from who knows where. We were decimated. This should be small-fellowship at least and level displayed as 30, to match the non-elites let alone the sig you have to kill. I have no doubt that 3-4 28-30's could pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by skadoink View Post
    I agree that the first part of this, Finding Addie's Missing Sons, is definately a solo, since you need not even fight anything in order to complete it. The follow-up quest is different. As a L20 Burglar, I almost solo'd it. However, considering that you can completely avoid all the regular mobs on the way to the target elite or at least distract them with a pet or something, then pick off the mobs that surround Malin before talking to him, there is no need for a full fellowship, a small fellowship will do; I completed it on the second attempt with just me and a L17 Champion.

QUEST: Honey Bears / Some other quest whose name escapes me
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 13/14
    ACTUAL ICON: Solo or Fellowship at original level
    REASONS: I don't recall the name of the second quest; both are in the same locale (East of Tuchborough) in the vicinity of the Big Willow Tree. Both are basically escort type quests with multiple waves of mobs. In both, the escorted/protected NPC's -- as one would expect at level 7 -- die easily. In both, the player's level makes it impossible to generate enough aggro to draw the mobs away from the NPC's.

I attempted these on a new alt (hobbit burglar) and -- as with far too many other "solo" quests in the Shire (home of Fed Ex quests ad nauseum) -- came to the conclusion that whomever labeled these in terms of level and group/solo requirements never bothered to actually play-test them. At level 13, the burgler was STILL unable to solo these two quests, even using healing pots and food buffs. Other classes might be able to solo these quests, but I sincerely doubt that my Guardian, Minstrel, Hunter, or Lore Master could have soloed these quests back at that level.

QUEST: Thunder in the Mountains
    CATEGORY: Misty Mountains
    JOURNAL LEVEL: 45
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 50
    ACTUAL ICON: Small Raid or 2 fellowships
    REASONS: Very hard to pull his room at all. First off Giants tend to throw rather then chase you so there is no pulling. You need to run into a room that has Level 48 Elite Eldar Giants stacked one upon the other. First time we tried to pull we got 2 adds I mezzed one and we went in further and got 2 more even. So we had the original pull plus 4 now. WIPE.

Next time we go we try to sneak into the left side, and start off with ONLY 2 giants, but within 2 seconds 4 more aggroed and we were well enough away, but yet they chain aggroed. WIPE.

I am sure other groups have succeeded, but the strategy eludes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    QUEST: Honey Bears / Some other quest whose name escapes me
    ACTUAL LEVEL: 13/14
    ACTUAL ICON: Solo or Fellowship at original level
    REASONS: I don't recall the name of the second quest; both are in the same locale (East of Tuchborough) in the vicinity of the Big Willow Tree. Both are basically escort type quests with multiple waves of mobs. In both, the escorted/protected NPC's -- as one would expect at level 7 -- die easily. In both, the player's level makes it impossible to generate enough aggro to draw the mobs away from the NPC's.

I attempted these on a new alt (hobbit burglar) and -- as with far too many other "solo" quests in the Shire (home of Fed Ex quests ad nauseum) -- came to the conclusion that whomever labeled these in terms of level and group/solo requirements never bothered to actually play-test them. At level 13, the burgler was STILL unable to solo these two quests, even using healing pots and food buffs. Other classes might be able to solo these quests, but I sincerely doubt that my Guardian, Minstrel, Hunter, or Lore Master could have soloed these quests back at that level.
    My LM solo'd this at 14, but at 7...you MUST have help, the bees are bad enough, but those bears are deal breakers at lvl 7. Not to be attempted solo by squishy toons under lvl 13.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast