We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Update 18 Developer Diary: Featured Instances

Check out the latest Dev Diary from Update 18: Featured Instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    Check out the latest Dev Diary from Update 18: Featured Instances.
    Thank you for another interesting dev diary.

I'll leave others to comment on the loot drop mechanic. What really struck me was the last line

"we hope to eventually have all of the best instances in LOTRO be Featured"

Can I please make the case that you include in this some classic instances that currently do not scale? I know that many level cap players would want to test themselves against...

The Vile Maw
    Garth Agarwen: Barrows
    The Rift of Nûrz Ghâshu

and finally...

Filikul....if nothing else out of pity. It must be so many years since that poor turtle had a kb....

Dungeons of Dol Guldur really needs to be featured, if only to actually get people to play it occasionally :P

Each instance has a chance to drop one of three or four different gear pieces. Each gear piece is dropped by at least two instances. For example: The Ost Dunhoth Wound and Fear Wing box can give you a chest piece, boots or a necklace. Sammath Gûl could give you that same chest piece, or gloves, or an earring, or a bracelet. If there's a particular instance that you don't want to run, you never have to; all rewards will drop from at least two different instances.
    I wonder if it only applies to Featured Instances daily boxes or to challenge chests as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Maegren View Post
    Thank you for another interesting dev diary.

I'll leave others to comment on the loot drop mechanic. What really struck me was the last line

"we hope to eventually have all of the best instances in LOTRO be Featured"

Can I please make the case that you include in this some classic instances that currently do not scale? I know that many level cap players would want to test themselves against...

The Vile Maw
    Garth Agarwen: Barrows
    The Rift of Nûrz Ghâshu

and finally...

Filikul....if nothing else out of pity. It must be so many years since that poor turtle had a kb....

All the scaled content is so painstakingly easy.

I would rather they put effort into actually scaling the difficulty of currently scaled instances before adding more facemash easy content.

Quote Originally Posted by Constrictions View Post
    All the scaled content is so painstakingly easy.
    I would rather they put effort into actually scaling the difficulty of currently scaled instances before adding more facemash easy content.
    Yes, instances are not fun at all.
    T2 are not challenging anymore...
    ... and about T1, there is no word to describe them. A monkey could do them.

Our stats constantly explode while stats of instances mobs don't move or even decrease with the bad scaling.

The actual featured instance, SG, was a nice instance with difficult and interesting bosses, 6-manned at T1 or T2.
    My Hunter was OS by lightnings at Alagossír, if I played bad.
    Now how can we be killed ? It is a joke.
    Last edited by Castorix; Apr 15 2016 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    ... instances are not fun at all.
    ... there is no word to describe them.
    A monkey could do them.
    It is a joke.
    Maybe, just maybe you should ask yourself if you become a little too obsessed about this issue of yours?
    (You don't have to, of course, this is just a suggestion. But one couldn't help but notice that you're starting to lose your composure lately.)

You've been complaining about this for what, three years now?
    But it seems that at least a few other people still seem to be having some fun with these ... monkey-instances.
    (I'm not saying 'If you hate it so much, you should go play something else'. I just think it would be a good idea to calm down and cut down on the hyperbole a bit :-) )

Please remember that your constant complaining was successful once. They made the roving threats more difficult for Evendim, North Downs and Mirkwood, which can't be soloed by all classes. The result being that nobody plays them anymore. Go figure ...
    (Maybe you're not fighting for the greater good here, but for your personal likings, which aren't shared by everybody.)

Quote Originally Posted by Onno View Post
    Maybe, just maybe you should ask yourself if you become a little too obsessed about this issue of yours?
    This issue destroys the game since HD (+ lack of rewards in T2 instances, + crashes, + lag , etc...)
    It destroyed my whole kin (and many other ones...); our main activity was to have fun in instances.
    Only blind persons cannot see that instance scaling is broken and that the game is not in a good state.
    We just try to save the game by asking to fix obvious problems.
    Last edited by Castorix; Apr 15 2016 at 08:08 AM.

I do want to chime in and say, I really like this new feature to varying up instances. It is a definite positive to vary up the instances, even if the state of the featured content is not ideal. I don't want to have an overly negative voice about this, because I have more like for it than dislike.

As constructive feedback:
    • The loot mechanic from challenge chests (not the daily reward) is downright bad, and I'm assuming you knew this in developing it. Which brings me to the next point.
    • It's obvious implementation was designed around getting people to buy TP, in order to buy mithril coins. You've got the worst loot dropping mechanic from any MMO operating on a quest that is otherwise only achievable once per day, but is not necessarily guaranteed to drop anything but empowerment scrolls (which is fantastic, by the way) or the coins. It's so blatantly obvious that it rubs in your face all the worst things about the game that have come about. It really made me ask whether or not you sit there, as a developer with someone from the marketing team on every second job, and quic each other "How can we use this new feature/mechanic/etc to get more money out of people". Just generally really ####.

Otherwise
    • I was a bit disappointed to see that the instance only changes once per week, while we get a daily for that same instance. I loved running SG, but I don't think I'd love running it every day for an entire week as much as I would enjoy an incentive for a different instance every day. Maybe thats a bit picky, but I would hope that as the featured instance list increases, this would come to happen.

Could we get clarification as to what exactly Featured Instance gear that will be barterable in the future is? I've been running the instance daily, but am not yet 105, so I've been getting level 105 Greater Dextrous Mace of Penetration or Shoulderpads of Fate, just to give two examples. Should I be keeping these in order to barter? Or is there other gear out there? I haven't seen anyone else wearing new gear yet, so I'm not really sure what the new gear is since Wiki isn't updated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Curuer_Bauglir View Post
    //... so I've been getting level 105 Greater Dextrous Mace of Penetration or Shoulderpads of Fate, just to give two examples. Should I be keeping these in order to barter?
    Those are the obsolete and bad scaled U12.1 trash loots.
    An example of new gear is in the Dev Diary.

Thanks, Castorix.

Aside from the rng and loot issues, I just wanted to give a hearty thank you for adding this to the game. I can get groups for this on Landy in less than a minute. It takes a while on Crickhollow but it's a huge improvement for puggers like myself.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)
    I like the idea, but implementation is not the best.
    Effect is, everyone is doing only the currently featured instance.
    I think, making each scaled t2 instance giving featured box (maybe with worse content) once per day would be better, because it would promote people running varied content, rather than only SG or OE.
    Or maybe have 3 instances each week?
    IDK.

i havent gotten any gear at all

just 5 long lost coins and an empowerment scroll, one box did have a major essence though, unlucky it was one my hunter doesnt need....

Quote Originally Posted by GozmitJosh View Post
    unlucky it was one my hunter doesnt need....
    And herein lies the core problem of ALL loot in LOTRO.

Three MMORPGs I can think of have reworked their loot system so that Instance Loot will always be useable.

LOTRO seems to have the worst of all worlds, stuff that is bound, and so random 90% of it useless.

If loot isn't class specific then it must be tradeable.
    If it isn't tradeable it must be class specific.

It isn't hard. Heck WoW even has it "Class+Build Specific".

And if such a loot system is too difficult to implement then use a Token System so that we can all run to a vendor and buy class specific gear.

I'll rinse-repeat grind as long as is necessary to work towards an attainable goal - but I'll not do it for RNG 90% unuseable and untradeable tat.

All The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Egilric View Post
    And herein lies the core problem of ALL loot in LOTRO.

Three MMORPGs I can think of have reworked their loot system so that Instance Loot will always be useable.

LOTRO seems to have the worst of all worlds, stuff that is bound, and so random 90% of it useless.

If loot isn't class specific then it must be tradeable.
    If it isn't tradeable it must be class specific.

It isn't hard. Heck WoW even has it "Class+Build Specific".

And if such a loot system is too difficult to implement then use a Token System so that we can all run to a vendor and buy class specific gear.

I'll rinse-repeat grind as long as is necessary to work towards an attainable goal - but I'll not do it for RNG 90% unuseable and untradeable tat.

All The Best
    you r so right!!!!!!!
    this token system already exists in lotro
    by replaying some instances, if i recall right.
    you can access by the reflacting pools, n the trader is at rivendale n in Aughaire pools......
    now the problem is that the tradable armor is lvl 50, havent checked for years but i strongly believe that there is no upgrade to this.
    by some amount of ribons we r able to get Helegrod n Annuminas lvl 50 set, just before the MoM the amount for Hele 50 armor was 30 pieces
    i know this coz this is how i got my last 2 pieces, coz the kin i was in that time doing no raiding at all n i was not able to find a dissent pug
    anyway will be very nice to upgrade this system
    so voted with both hands!

"
    In future updates, we'll occasionally change up which instances are represented here, and we hope to eventually have all of the best instances in LOTRO be Featured.
    "

So, when ?
    Last edited by Castorix; Jun 12 2016 at 03:47 AM.

I would like to know if there is a possibility in the future to trade items from featured instances (jewels and armour) for long-lost coins..........any prediction about this?

And Turbine, seriously, rework on those classic instances scaling.

An instance like SG T2C is ridiculous, and about the T1, there are no words.
    We did SG T1 yesterday with 6 DPS classes and on the last boss, I was at the entry and I nearly could not hit him once : RKs made him disappear in a few seconds !

And Turbine, seriously, rework on those classic instances scaling.

An instance like SG T2C is ridiculous, and about the T1, there are no words.
    We did SG T1 yesterday with 6 DPS classes and on the last boss, I was at the entry and I nearly could not hit him once : RKs made him disappear in a few seconds !
    It's working as intended as far as lotro is concerned: you should be able to kill endgame bosses in as little time as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by daedalusAI View Post
    It's working as intended as far as lotro is concerned: you should be able to kill endgame bosses in as little time as possible.
    Devs should test the instances to see how they are broken now.

Same thing for OE, the actual featured instance, where all mechanics are broken (for example, no need to pull Tormented Spirits on blue floor, we have so much DPS that their +75% Evade Chance does nothing)

That sounds like you had T2 geared characters in a T1 instance. The same is not true of characters with landscape gear, or even non-essence instance gear, or even quest reward essence gear. The instance is fine, the chosen tier was off. Remember this is an instance designed for level 65 geared players.

Devs should test the instances to see how they are broken now.

Same thing for OE, the actual featured instance, where all mechanics are broken (for example, no need to pull Tormented Spirits on blue floor, we have so much DPS that their +75% Evade Chance does nothing)
    Testing would be done with the target audience, level 40 characters with little mastery, morale just from vitality, little to no finesse, need to pull the spirits to the blue floor. (Over-geared T2 capable essence min-max geared characters don't apply, of course there is no T2 version of this instance, but if there were... That said, I'd rather they be working on the new raid and other new instances than remaking old stuff.)

It is interesting the changes to b/p/e and partial b/p/e have given those spirits a TON more survivability than they had before. They used to go down to AoE, now they tend to be the last MOBs remaining, and I actually did pull a couple to the blue floor yesterday. ;-)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    That sounds like you had T2 geared characters in a T1 instance. The same is not true of characters with landscape gear, or even non-essence instance gear, or even quest reward essence gear. The instance is fine, the chosen tier was off. Remember this is an instance designed for level 65 geared players.
    It is a scalable instance, so extremely bad scaled to 105.
    I'm still with full level 100 gear and others had a mix 100 and 2/4 slots 105 gear.

In SG T1, who can be OS by lightnings now at 2nd boss, like before ?
    Where is the fire at first boss, which even doesn't have the time to appear in T2, with all adds skipped ?

T1 instances are not fine, they are totally ridiculous and not fun at all, with all mechanics broken.
    (same thing for T2 classic instances with everyone with any essence gear)

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    It is interesting the changes to b/p/e and partial b/p/e have given those spirits a TON more survivability than they had before. They used to go down to AoE, now they tend to be the last MOBs remaining, and I actually did pull a couple to the blue floor yesterday. ;-)
    They go down quick if someone stuns/dazes them. Guardians with their shield stuns. Loremasters with their AoE stun. Captains with their AoE stun. etc. They spirits can't evade when they are stunned so people should be looking for when they get stunned and take advantage of it.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast