We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Great Cosmetic Lotro-Wiki Project

I've only recently started to pay attention to the cosmetic part of the gear and weapons. So sometimes I would like to have a place to check which cosmetics there are.

I discovered a software made by Castorix that has all of this in the following thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...13#post7378313

However I think it would be really helpful if the Lotro-Wiki had a cosmetic view for each item we can equip. So I invite everyone to pick the database made by Castorix and put a screenshot of the cosmetics in the Lotro-Wiki.
    I think each item should have a page with a screenshot of it, but I also think it would be very useful to have galleries of images for each kind of items (1H swords, light shields, cloaks, etc) so that people searching from cosmetics could quickly scroll through the page(s) and look for a item they like.

In the database there are also Anórien stuff so I think it's up to date. Many cosmetics (only checked the shields) have the same appearance but I think that should be correct?

I also would like to ask Turbine to allow us to re-obtain items that are awarded to us by quest. Make a place is Lalia's Market or something where we can buy an item as long as we have completed the quest that awards it. Because otherwise it's impossible to have again that awesome lv 11 sword that we trashed long time ago.

So is anyone willing to help me upgrading the Lotro-Wiki?

I would love it if every page of armour with a nice cosmetic looks would have a list of other items that share the same cosmetic appearance. That way if you have a choice between several items that look good, you can see where you can get a second or third chance to get the item you didn't pick
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    I would love it if every page of armour with a nice cosmetic looks would have a list of other items that share the same cosmetic appearance. That way if you have a choice between several items that look good, you can see where you can get a second or third chance to get the item you didn't pick
    We would need some way to differentiate different pieces of armor, and it would have to be foolproof, so that multiple people can link items all at the same time without one person calling a skin, "grinning-monster-skin-183", while another calls that same one, "monster-skull-grin-5". How are skins named/numbered/referenced in the data files?
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    We would need some way to differentiate different pieces of armor, and it would have to be foolproof, so that multiple people can link items all at the same time without one person calling a skin, "grinning-monster-skin-183", while another calls that same one, "monster-skull-grin-5". How are skins named/numbered/referenced in the data files?
    Do the skins need names? I've come across several armour piece pages on the Wiki that in the page info have had a list of links to other armour piece pages that share the appearance, and you can click those to get info about what quest you get the other versions from and what armour items are called. It felt quite practical
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Why two threads?.
    You contribute to forum spam, you can't keep track on both threads, I am NOT going to repeat my input in this thread.

I think this is way to much work for what you get....

If you have a screenshot of a gear item, yes you can see it, bit normally you will know what it looks like in a different colour....or in combination with other gear....

To gear up my chars I use a plugin called ItemManager:

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...emManager.html

You can search be name and categorie and see directly how it lokks on your char, colour it and so on. It is much easier then making screenshots for every piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Why two threads?.
    You contribute to forum spam, you can't keep track on both threads, I am NOT going to repeat my input in this thread.
    I'm sorry but I think a thread only in the cosmetic subforum would not have much feedback, that's why I opened this one here: way more people search this subforum. I am sorry and apologize if this is considered forum spam.

Now, I think you are a bit disrespectful of me when you're saying I can't keep track on both threads. I am actually following 3: here, in the cosmetic and in the lotro-wiki.
    In the cosmetic forum I commented back and forth with you.

In this thread here when I left online yesterday (I am GMT) I only had Silmelin first post, and I took note of it and included that point in the lotro-wiki discussion, I simply didn't comment back as I thought it was unnecessary as I would simply say "nice point". In your case I commented because you asked me questions directly.
    Also I don't expect people to post twice, I took note of your (good) points in the other thread, no need for you to replicate them.

Samy1981 for example now have called my attention to that plugin, which is great and I think it needs to be mentioned in a "gallery" thing for people to try in their characters, but I don't think it provides a fast enough way for someone to skim through several cosmetics rapidly (like a gallery) and look for what they're looking for.

In the Lotro-Wiki people said it would be a good idea but that it probably would take too much time. I am willing to try to see how fast can we do it. Let's see if I get authorization to get a test page (discussion here: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tal...iki_Project.22 )
    I am suggesting this but of course I am the one that are expecting to contribute more, I wouldn't ask others such a work if I couldn't do it myself. I want to try at least.