We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Arrow The Landy Lately

Vol. 3 Ed. 2 -- 18 January 2017
    Vol. 3 Ed. 1 -- 11 January 2017
    Vol. 2 Ed. 18 -- 1 June 2016
    Vol. 2 Ed. 17 -- 25 May 2016
    Vol. 2 Ed. 16 -- 18 May 2016
    General Info about the Paper
    • All pages can be grabbed for easier/later viewing and sharing. ((Each "page" of all papers will have a pop out to a copy one can grab links from or resize for viewing.))
    • Volunteer carriers are welcome to grab copies from our storeroom to post anywhere you think would benefit from it. This helps the paper reach a broader audience.
    • If you are interested in becoming a guest or staff contributor, send a Quick Post to Wellie with details. ((Or PM me here.))
    • Advertisement and Classified enquiries should be sent to Everfrugal.
    • Letters to the Editor should be sent to Wellie. ((Or PM me here.))
    • Special thanks to A.E. for all the support.

Contribution Guidelines
    The Guidelines can be found here. If you have any questions the Guidelines do not answer, please contact Wellie via Quick Post or PM here c/o Gaming_Gal.

Advertising & Classifieds Guide
    The Guide has been updated for 2017 and can be found here. If you have any questions the Guide does not answer, please contact Everfrugal via Quick Post or PM here c/o grumpion.

Deadlines for the week of 11 - 17 January 2017

Submission Deadlines for Sized Advertising (SAs) & Classifieds (C) [All times Server Time (ST)]:
    Vol. 3 Ed. 2 (18 January 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 16 Jan.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 26 Dec.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 2 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 4 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 12 Jan.
    Vol. 3 Ed. 3 (25 January 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 23 Jan.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 2 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 9 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 11 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 19 Jan.
    Vol. 3 Ed. 4 (1 February 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 30 Jan.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 9 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 16 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 18 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 26 Jan.
    Vol. 3 Ed. 5 (8 February 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 6 Feb.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 16 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 23 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 25 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 2 Feb.
    INDEX -- in descending order.

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jan 18 2017 at 10:47 PM.

Arrow Vol. 1 Ed. 1 -- 23 December 2015

Grab a copy to share on your own Bulletin!

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jan 26 2016 at 08:30 PM.

Congratulations on your first edition!! Easy to read even on my fairly small laptop screen.
    Aldekim (95 Landroval) Aldekim (65 Meneldor), Aldekim (13 Arkenstone),Aldekim (33 Laurelin), Aldekim (11 Nimrodel), Aldekim (Crickhollow), Aldekim (Elendilmir)

Nicely done! I like the inclusion of photographs.

With the forced downsize, perhaps moving to a 3-column news and 2-column Happenings format would make sense, as well as popping up your font a point size.

Choosing the yellow/sepia background made it much easier to read the serif font. Looking forward to the next issue!

Cheers,
    --Lou

Excellent first edition, congratulations and many thanks for your efforts! (With respect to formatting, my only suggestion would be to make the date headings under 'Happenings' bold or somewhat more apparent through another means)

6 Harrow Road, Mousehill, Shire Homesteads
    Great! I'm really like the papers like this Congratulations on your first edition! And keep doing and do not give up!

About formatting: maybe, will be better to make columns wider (and less columns per sheet, just more sheets)?
    Gilnaure Shrewmouse, Of Mirkwood. At your service!
    Landroval | Brotherhood of Steel & Radagast's Pipe & Watchers of Mindon | @Gil_Shrewmouse

Thank you everyone for your support, as well as your thoughtful comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by dori_bolger View Post
    Congratulations on your first edition!! Easy to read even on my fairly small laptop screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Louvalinor View Post
    Nicely done! I like the inclusion of photographs.

With the forced downsize, perhaps moving to a 3-column news and 2-column Happenings format would make sense, as well as popping up your font a point size.

Choosing the yellow/sepia background made it much easier to read the serif font. Looking forward to the next issue!

Cheers,
    --Lou
    &
    Quote Originally Posted by Elennare View Post
    Great! I'm really like the papers like this Congratulations on your first edition! And keep doing and do not give up!

About formatting: maybe, will be better to make columns wider (and less columns per sheet, just more sheets)?
    The forum's auto downsizing of any image larger than the 1251p width and 1024p height max allowed was what led me to decide on the present format sizing. There is BB code that would allow for wider images, but that function is shut off on the forum (for understandable reasons).

I had tried four columns in my initial dummy given my concerns about the resizing and readability, but it looked too modern to me. Three would be worse. I also tried what's known as the "Tabloid" proportions for the paper, but that also appeared too modern. This may sound weird, given the digital medium I'm ultimately using, but I still wanted something that will at least feel older when viewed. I will test a five column to see if that might help, but it will diminish possible layouts overall.

Bumping the font size up is tricky because even one point larger, and you run into justified singletons, where most lines would have just one word. I'll also double check, as now I'm wondering if all the articles are the font size I thought I had adjusted up to. I'm noticing some still look smaller than others, so I may not have remembered to fix all of them to be consistent. (Yule Travel is standing out the most in this regard, and I know I bumped Happenings down a few tenths to make it fit.)

Speaking of Happenings, changing that to two columns will definitely help. I will implement that in the future.

I'm glad the warmer background helps with the serif. I did try sans serif for obvious reasons, but again...a too modern feel. I'm also going to look into some other cleaner serif fonts to work with for the future. I simply ran out of time to get to that for this week's edition.

The news page(s) will always be the tightest visually, as columns, features, et al will have a more open feel like the festival bits on the bottom of the first page. Less guttering since less graphic dividers will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by keystrokes View Post
    Excellent first edition, congratulations and many thanks for your efforts! (With respect to formatting, my only suggestion would be to make the date headings under 'Happenings' bold or somewhat more apparent through another means)
    This will definitely be implemented starting next edition. I'm trying to stick with bold/italic/underline emphasis methods more than relying on color, as I know we have some color blind folks in the community.
    Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Dec 23 2015 at 10:54 PM.

Well done and thank you for doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Daichi View Post
    Well done and thank you for doing this.
    Thankies! Just about to post today's edition.

Arrow The Landy Lately - Vol. 1 Ed. 2 - 30 December, 2015

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jan 26 2016 at 08:33 PM.

Letter to the Editor

Love this newspaper! Thank you for putting in the time and effort and creativity to make something for us to enjoy.

My family and kinship have endured the migration and settled into Landroval. We are incredibly happy here! The community has been very welcoming and friendly as we make our adjustments, find new homes, and participate in the local events. It already feels like home, and we are looking forward to our future here.

~ Zeirlynn Kolde
    Last edited by Kolde; Dec 30 2015 at 12:14 PM.

Fantastic Work!

This is the stuff I came back for! This is a great read for a returning player like myself to get up to par on the goings on of Landy! Thank you GamerGal for your work!

Holy printing presses Gammy!

It's really wonderful to see someone take the time and effort to do something right.

I've re-posted these to the OW site and would like to do so with each new edition, with your permission of course.

I'll have some events/material for you shortly.

Many thanks!

- Tailspin

Thankies to everyone for your support. It helps in those nights spent laying out the paper when the tea's gone cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolde View Post
    Love this newspaper! Thank you for putting in the time and effort and creativity to make something for us to enjoy.

My family and kinship have endured the migration and settled into Landroval. We are incredibly happy here! The community has been very welcoming and friendly as we make our adjustments, find new homes, and participate in the local events. It already feels like home, and we are looking forward to our future here.

~ Zeirlynn Kolde
    Happy to hear you are enjoying the paper. I wish you continued success in your new land.

May I have your permission to post this letter in our next edition as our first official letter to the Editor? Thanks to papercarriers, the paper does reach a broader audience than simply here, so some readers won't see your note on this bulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixzzen View Post
    This is the stuff I came back for! This is a great read for a returning player like myself to get up to par on the goings on of Landy! Thank you GamerGal for your work!
    Huzza! It's grand to know our efforts are finding success. Welcome back. It's always good to see happy returning faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallship View Post
    Holy printing presses Gammy!

It's really wonderful to see someone take the time and effort to do something right.

I've re-posted these to the OW site and would like to do so with each new edition, with your permission of course.

I'll have some events/material for you shortly.

Many thanks!

- Tailspin
    I am lucky in that I have many years' experience working on newspapers, going back as far as my elementary school days, if you can believe it. I'm also fortunate in that I have a moderately decent method (Photoshop) to layout the paper, even if it's so old it doesn't let me layout text bodies quite properly. (Hence the awful justification. It would take hours to work around the defaults in my old PS7 to get them right.) I also have a bit more free time to do such than many folks who, I'm certain, would do a better job at it. I am Fortune's Fool in these ways.

I had a smile on my face as I was filling out the staff box for this week's edition. It was related to a bit of trivia you might not know: Martha Luckyfoot is Gammy's "proper" name, as she wasn't always a Gammer. (She's also named after my now passed on maternal grandmother, as is one of my skim soldiers, "Mott" who takes her old nickname.)

Please feel free to continue as a carrier. We are well aware that not all residents of our world visit this bulletin. We're grateful for your help to reach a broader readership.

I look forward to your future submissions.

Speaking of submissions, we are working on a set of submission guidelines to help folks feel confident about submitting contributions, whether as a guest or staff member. I'm not sure when that will go up, but I plan to post it above in the 2nd post so it will be easy for folks to find in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaming_Gal View Post
    Thankies to everyone for your support. It helps in those nights spent laying out the paper when the tea's gone cold.

Happy to hear you are enjoying the paper. I wish you continued success in your new land.

May I have your permission to post this letter in our next edition as our first official letter to the Editor? Thanks to papercarriers, the paper does reach a broader audience than simply here, so some readers won't see your note on this bulletin.

-snip-
    If this is addressed to me, then yes. I'd be honored to appear in your newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolde View Post
    If this is addressed to me, then yes. I'd be honored to appear in your newspaper.
    It was! Thankies for your permission.

Post The Landy Lately Advertising & Classifieds Guide

All advertisement & classified submissions must include the following:
    • contact name of sponsor (forum preferred over in game when possible)
    • date the submission is to start its run
    • how many editions within the run limit given you want the ad to run
    • if your submission qualifies for rotation, whether you want to be put into rotation or not

Submission Deadlines for Sized Advertising (SAs) & Classifieds (C) [All times Server Time (ST)]:
    Vol. 3 Ed. 2 (18 January 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 16 Jan.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 26 Dec.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 2 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 4 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 12 Jan.
    Vol. 3 Ed. 3 (25 January 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 23 Jan.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 2 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 9 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 11 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 19 Jan.
    Vol. 3 Ed. 4 (1 February 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 30 Jan.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 9 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 16 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 18 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 26 Jan.
    Vol. 3 Ed. 5 (8 February 2017):
    C: Monday morning, 6 Feb.
    SAs Copy w/o Provided Art: Monday, 16 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Provided Art: Monday, 23 Jan.
    SAs Copy + Icon: Wednesday, 25 Jan.
    SAs Copy Only: Thursday, 2 Feb.

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jan 13 2017 at 01:42 PM.

Arrow The Landy Lately - Vol. 2 Ed. 1 - 6 January, 2016 (Part 1)

My apologies for the paper having a late release.

All pages are up now.
    No goblin black fire, nope, nothing to see here.

I'm still not sorry I pushed out the advert info and deadlines info, as it was needed to move forward, but the sacrifice to do that was the late paper. Fortunately, it's done! So it won't hold us up again.

Thankies everyone for you patience. I hope everyone finds it worth the wait.

I have also learned today that Turbine does not allow more than five images in one post. So from now on, any over four pages, I'll have to split the paper up into two posts. Sorries for this, but my hands are tied.

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jan 26 2016 at 08:34 PM.

Arrow The Landy Lately - Vol. 2 Ed. 1 - 6 January, 2016 (part 2)

Because six pages is too many, according to the Special Committee for the Preservation of 1s and 0s. Seven must be right out, then.

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jan 26 2016 at 08:35 PM.

Post Contribution Guidelines

The Landy Lately Contribution Guidelines--Last Edited 26 January 2016 due to thread re-organization:

PLEASE NOTE: These guidelines may change over time if need serves. If they do, the “last edited” date will be changed, and the change(s) will be noted in a quote box for a three month duration. (Minor corrections such as typos or misspellings will not trigger a last edited change.)

Submission Deadlines for Contributors --All times Server Time (ST):
    Regular Staff: Tuesday afternoon
    Irregular Staff: Monday evening
    Guests: Sunday afternoon
    Art Department: General: Monday morning
    Please consider these topics before contacting Wellie about your contribution. If after you read them, you are not sure what you want to do, but have an interest in contributing, that can be a starting point of the conversation as well.

1. Type: artists, designers, proofreaders, and writers
    • Artists: your original artwork; comics; sketches (screenshots)- altered or not; et al.
    • Designers: paper layout, ad design, and/or non-ad graphic design for the paper.
    • Proofreaders: scan part or all copy for typos and misspellings, mark corrections.
    • Writers: news, columns, and features.

2. Schedule: The schedule you pick both dictates the position you hold, as well as helps paper planning.
    • Regular Staff set a schedule that they follow. Ex: every week, every other week, once a month, etc.
    • Irregular Staff contribute when they can, but are still considered staff.
    • Guests are folks who are one time or once in a blue moon contributors, and are not considered staff.

3. Audience: We are based in Landroval, which is a role-play encouraged server.
    • Do feel free to submit in-character contributions.
    • Do feel free to submit out-of-character contributions.

4. Tone: We strive for folks to think of us as a dependable and fairly balanced information source.
    • Do your due diligence. If you are not an expert on a subject, research. If you’re not sure of something, find out, or clearly state why you’re not sure. Try to achieve a near balance of sides to an issue when possible—especially for news. If you have a funny feeling something’s not right, ask Wellie for a look over before deadline.
    • This is not a tabloid full of “oh noes the world will end because X”, nor is it bastion of slander and malice. Some topics will be emotional to many, but do your best to keep the tone more conversational than brawl baiting.
    • Columns are opinions, but a piece of pleased pie is better received than a stein of scathing swill. Yet the pie can also take the edge off that swill when it needs to be served.

5. The Tricky Business of Incorporating Lore and the Game side of the World:
    • We must follow the Community Guidelines which includes Turbine’s Code of Conduct to keep our paper running out of their Bulletins. If you are not familiar with them, stop reading at the end of this sentence and go read them...twice...before coming back to finish here. We’re not kidding! “I didn’t know” is not an excuse. If you try to cover your tush with "But it was RP!", we might even point at you and laugh hysterically before showing you the door that leads to Helen Waite's Office.
    • We must treat player characters with respect and deference, even if they are dung tossing trolls. Do not make up source information from them, and do not use a quote from them or any variation of their name without their permission. Do not put them in any level of negative light unless there is explicit consent from those concerned. (Ex. Miss Telle has several groups & individuals that she has made sure to have crystal clear consent from before she makes a jab in their direction. Being the IC local sourpuss is a lot of back-end work to keep folks chuckling and not paying brigands to bring your head in a box.)
    • If you choose to utilize NPCs as sources, please do so in a respectful and mindful fashion. Language, situations and tone choices should be close to what you would encounter in world. Even using sources such as lotro-wiki.com can help you keep consistent with our world.
    • Regarding LOTR/LOTRO Lore: Be mindful that some of our readers are proud, hardcore, badge-wearing and knowledgeable Tolkien Lore Scholars who scrawled Tengwar runes on their high school notebooks. Others have only ever seen the PJ movies or know nothing outside of the game. Mistakes can happen, but please do your level best to avoid them.
    • Regarding IC Lore: There are so many RP groups with their own lore histories and present day goings-on that there will be some jarring conflicts in some reports. This is something we’re going to handle on a case-by-case basis, and we’re sure we’ll still never please everyone all the time. Know this ahead of time before diving in that direction. Best practice is to stick to consensual storylines when possible, and take it with a grain of salt if someone yells that you’ve stomped all over their storyline. Explain that the paper serves a wide audience, and although it’s unfortunate your piece conflicts with their storyline, encourage them to write their side of the story, or at least a Letter to the Editor.

6. New to journalistic writing?
    • Read through the papers to get a sense of what we offer. If what you'd like to contribute seems borderline, write Wellie, and let her make the call.
    • If you've never written for a paper before, one site out of many that has some excellent coverage of the basics is the Purdue Online Writing Lab. Two particulars there are Associated Press (AP) Style, and reverse pyramid writing for news. AP style is a target, not a requirement. The latter is very helpful if something you write would need to be trimmed to fit layout. We try not to do that, but it could happen.

We look forward to your contributions!

Wish List (Two granted so far!)
    I would like to see...
    • kinship recruiting ads. This may require rotation to help representation be more equal, but it's worth trying.
    • more crafting and services offered type ads, whether classified or sized. This may also require rotation.
    • coverage about battles. We have so many folks who skirm/raid/instance as well as landscape adventure. Even if it's a 25-50 word blurb, I'll give it room.
    • coverage about Games. We have many offerings of both player created and players using in game offerings: Bree Tag, pub games, Hiders n' Seekers, chicken races, etc.
    • more arts coverage. Tale nights and plays come to mind immediately.
    • coverage about web sites. For places like the Cottage of Pen n' Play and many other lotro blogs (I think of these as volumes or sections in various ME libraries), or sites like youtube/twitch channels (flippy books) with LOTRO related content.
    • fashion coverage, whether attire or home decorating.
    • "travel"/location coverage. This could be a feature or regular column, highlighting the various areas in our world.
    • guides about RP, since we're an RPE community. If you want it to read as an IC piece, write observations of hobbits; a bard retelling the history of X; or a mannerist.
    Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Feb 01 2016 at 08:13 AM.

Arrow The Landy Lately - Vol. 2 Ed. 2 - 13 January, 2016 (part 1)

*OP*
    Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Feb 10 2016 at 09:03 AM.

Arrow The Landy Lately - Vol. 2 Ed. 2 - 13 January, 2016 (part 2)

Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Feb 10 2016 at 09:04 AM.

All up now! Enjoy.

Dear Members of the Landroval Community,

Given the circumstances many of us have found ourselves in or heard about from another since last Monday, I have made the decision to change the spotlight of this paper squarely upon the datacenter move and the issues that came about the week following (and possibly beyond).

If there is a news article, statistic gathering, or another related submission you would care to submit--this can include screenshots, (Say, of home with no furnishings, or error messages directly related to this topic), as well as Letters to the Editor--I am extending the deadline to 10pm, ST Monday the 18th for any guest submissions or letters. Be sure to include what Byline you wish, if you indeed wish one. For news and statistics, please include links to your sources for easier fact checking on this late date.

--> A sketched out, bare bones timeline from the time the move delay was announced to present is greatly desired.

PLEASE NOTE: This extension only applies to contributions related to the data center move and the issues that ensued after.

IF you are close to finishing by that time, but have not finished, do send me a copy of what you have thus far, with a brief summation of that which you need to add. ONLY if you send a coherent partial, will I allow a further extention to noon on the following Tuesday, also servertime.

HOWEVER, if the full piece is not submitted by that time (noon on Tuesday), it will not be printed in this week's edition. It may, however, run the week after.

If you have any questions regarding this, do not hesitate to ask below or via PM here. PLEASE DO NOT send Quick Post for anything related to this extension, as I have my post currently on hold until Wednesday with the Dampdale Quick Post, thus it will not get to me in time.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, all submissions are to remain civil if they wish to see print, and permission must be given before directly quoting another member of our community by said quoted party(ies)--no exceptions save for one: although Turbine staff members are also members of our community, they are in official positions, and thus their official capacity negates the need.

YES, this "civility clause" includes Letters to the Editor. Strongly and/or creatively worded submissions will be considered, but may be edited so as to not lower our targeted standards. If a letter is edited yet still printed, it will be noted beneath said letter.

Sincerely Yours,
    Wellientha Dampdale
    Editor
    The Landy Lately

Quote Originally Posted by Gaming_Gal View Post
    [INDENT]Given the circumstances many of us have found ourselves in or heard about from another since last Monday, I have made the decision to change the spotlight of this paper squarely upon the datacenter move and the issues that came about the week following (and possibly beyond).
    No Winterstock report?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast