We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Major W00T Thread on Coming RAID

W00000000000000000000000000000 000t!

Please, speculate on what it will be like. I need entertainment.

It'll be Derping Wall all over again :/

I fear it is far, far too late. Have announced to my old kin's page. I suspect it'll be drowned out by "yeah, but I ain't coming back just so I can grind out 200 Scrolls of Empowerment."

Cue the Prancing Pony crowd and their declarations that you don't "need" to grind scrolls.
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    I fear it is far, far too late. Have announced to my old kin's page. I suspect it'll be drowned out by "yeah, but I ain't coming back just so I can grind out 200 Scrolls of Empowerment."

Cue the Prancing Pony crowd and their declarations that you don't "need" to grind scrolls.

well... that is true, no need to!

*jazzhands outside the Pony's hobbit door*

I will be the first to admit I was wrong when I said I did not think a new raid was coming.

Thanks Turbine

So wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooot
    I saw the light fade from the sky
    On the wind I heard a sigh
    As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers
    I will say this last goodbye

If I didn't completely misunderstand what was said, it's gonna take place in Pelennor Fields. Now I'm thinking how do you raid on a field? I guess we could run from point A to B, fight endless of mobs and finally beat the boss at point Z but that wouldn't be much fun right?

e: typo
    Last edited by Brutus778; Dec 21 2015 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus778 View Post
    If I didn't completely misunderstood what was said, it's gonna take place in Pelennor Fields. Now I'm thinking how do you raid on a field? I guess we could run from point A to B, fight endless of mobs and finally beat the boss at point Z but that wouldn't be much fun right?
    You feel a raid can only take place indoors?

They could design cutting through units of mobs, different areas and zones around the battle, something with a Mumak, something with a siege component, I dunno, but an outdoors raid sounds rather refreshing
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

Boss in a box perhaps? That's what I'm thinking. Until we know more and even get to test it, im going to reserve getting too excited.

I do appreciate the effort and think it's about time! But this HAS to be a success. Last chance Turbine.

Good luck!
    All posts to be taken with a pinch of tasty salt.... preferably rubbed on a Tater

Well, I'm happy for you guys. I've never done a raid in
    my life and don't plan to, but for each his own.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilka View Post
    You feel a raid can only take place indoors?

They could design cutting through units of mobs, different areas and zones around the battle, something with a Mumak, something with a siege component, I dunno, but an outdoors raid sounds rather refreshing
    Yeah it would be refreshing and interesting to see but I can imagine creating group content like this on an open landscape would be a lot harder and risky compared to creating it indoors. They would have to put invisible walls everywhere, not to mention how hard it would be on players' hardware. In addition to all the stuff that is happening when a 12-man raid is taking place, your GPU etc have to draw everything around you all the way the horizon, even if it's a locked out area so I'd imagine a laggy experience.

Just some thoughts that came to my mind - but I can't wait to see what they come up with
    Last edited by Brutus778; Dec 21 2015 at 12:12 PM.

Until they confirm this isn't a 12 man BB raid and indeed is a real 12 man raid, preferably with multi room/wings, multi boss and real loot tables then I'll just be waiting to see.
    Founding Member of the Vocal Minority....

"Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV
    I hope, I really hope, that mounted combat is not a part of this Pelennor Fields raid, because mounted combat sucks.
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    While we won't give any details yet, we can confirm the 12 man will be a raid and not an Epic Battle.
    Surely you know by now if it is a single or multi boss raid....

Quote Originally Posted by Jillymala View Post
    Until they confirm this isn't a 12 man BB raid and indeed is a real 12 man raid, preferably with multi room/wings, multi boss and real loot tables then I'll just be waiting to see.
    While we won't give any details yet, we can confirm the 12 man will be a raid and not an Epic Battle.

Please cluster with multiple bosses instead of one boss. People won't be happy if it's just 1 and you will see dive on player numbers soon after the launch.

Yeah it would be refreshing and interesting to see but I can imagine creating group content like this on an open landscape would be a lot harder and risky compared to creating it indoors. They would have to put invisible walls everywhere, not to mention how hard it would be on players' hardware. In addition to all the stuff that is happening when a 12-man raid is taking place, your GPU etc have to draw everything around you all the way the horizon, even if it's a locked out area so I'd imagine a laggy experience.

Just some thoughts that came to my mind - but I can't wait to see what they come up with
    They can have some *visible* obstacles, rather than just invisible walls - like the fire-filled trenches and other siege works mentioned in the book. Plus if an instance was something like, say, clearing the river landing so that Aragorn's ships can come in, that'd naturally be static and could be a bit more enclosed rather than being an open-landscape job. It all depends which bits they pick.

They can always use smoke and dust as a plausible reason to limit the draw distance.

If it's a single boss, they might as well not even bother because I don't see too many who will be happy with that.

Honestly, the best thing Turbine can do at this point is focus on getting the entire instance cluster (+raid) out in a non-rushed manner, with little (preferably zero) bugs as possible.
    If they can do that, I'll be impressed (which is actually quite sad).

Looking back two years to the "no more raids" and "10%" public relations fiascos, it's good to see comments such as this from the LOTRO CM

Maybe the walls don't have to be invisible? A tightly packed regiment of orcs with spears and shields, where if you kill an orc in the front rank a new one immediately steps in. Poof, now you have a reasonable in-universe explanation for why you can't ride or walk that way, you'd be impaling yourself on the spears. (much like the insta-death areas in some of the epic battles to stop you from going forward, I guess). Since there are supposed to be tens of thousands of orcs (maybe hundreds of thousands) on this field, saying "no, you just can't kill them all, go cut a path directly to the generals or the siege engines" is pretty reasonable.

Perhaps drifting clouds of smoke from burning stuff could give a good excuse for why you can't see very far, thus cutting down on the graphics pain? The orcs are supposed to be throwing flaming stuff at the city, and you could easily have the city firing flaming things back to light parts of the fields. Actually, "things are on fire" is also a good excuse for invisible walls, just say you can't walk through sufficiently nasty fires, and if the fires start to run out of fuel and go out at some point, it's easy enough to justify the Rohirrim or Aragorn's team going through places that you couldn't go earlier.

Hi Frelorn! Any info when the raid is supposed to drop? Spring-Summer 2016?
    And the second question: Is ThePinion involved in raid creation team?

Also fingers crossed it is not scalable. Like old OD\Orthanc with unique drop system!

Exclamation

Now it would be the essential step to repair the loot tables, more urgent than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Urwendil View Post
    Now it would be the essential step to repair the loot tables, more urgent than ever.
    With the cap increase they are going to have to at the very least scale current loot in old clusters; so yes, why not at the same time make the loot worth having! I hope for some seriously cool unique stuff in the new cluster and raid. On T2/C of course, with some lesser but also fun stuff on the T1s.

Interesting times ahead!

You guys need to insure they fix the inspire buff. The value of the raid would be lost instantly if people just bug the raid

Jetsu from landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post

Definitely too little, too late. Even with the server consolidation there are not enough raiders left out there to make this worthwhile for the player. If the difficulty level is too easy then there will be no replay value. If it is too hard for the remnants of the raid community, it just won't be run. I would like to say that I'm optimistic.......but after several years of decline in the game I just can't be.

The grind for Imbued/Essence/Set Bonus armour/etc. is the biggest deterrent for returning players. And if any alterations to the existing grind do occur, that would feel like a kick in the teeth to those of us who have stuck around and taken the punishment. Guess I'm not really sure how to feel about this promised "raid."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast