We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 999
  1. #576
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Heh, apparently a bunch of Norwegians settled in Italy o.O

    The name is actually an Americanization of the original Norwegian family name, which is spelled something like Male, but got changed to Maley as Americans read the name as "male" rather than "may-lee". I'm not going to provide more information, as it's too easy for someone to dox me with it - and I really don't want any of you clowns calling me on my cell.

    Edit:
    While I can't find a date on the site, I'm fairly certain that I predate that company. Nice try, keep trolling.
    It appears that this is no longer funny when the shoe is on the other foot. If you wish to punch like a man, be prepared to take the hits like a man. Given that Ardbeg is my kinsmen one could reasonably expect me to take your side. But no. Calling me a clown, and indeed, a troll, because I manage to make a joke about your character name... compare that to Amory, who gave me a very nice welcome inside an RP-event... nope. I like Amory better. Much better. A lot nicer.
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

  2. #577
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrynor View Post
    It appears that this is no longer funny when the shoe is on the other foot. If you wish to punch like a man, be prepared to take the hits like a man. Given that Ardbeg is my kinsmen one could reasonably expect me to take your side. But no. Calling me a clown, and indeed, a troll, because I manage to make a joke about your character name... compare that to Amory, who gave me a very nice welcome inside an RP-event... nope. I like Amory better. Much better. A lot nicer.
    Ok, go ahead and roll a char on Landroval and submit the ticket then.

    Or are you a coward that likes rattling sabers?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  3. #578
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laurelin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Ok, go ahead and roll a char on Landroval and submit the ticket then.

    Or are you a coward that likes rattling sabers?
    Friendly advice : It must be very late where you are, maybe you should go and get some sleep
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

  4. #579
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Ok, go ahead and roll a char on Landroval and submit the ticket then.

    Or are you a coward that likes rattling sabers?
    I said that I made a joke, and that you did not like the joke very much, and that you appearently could not stand it. I also said that I dont like the way you argue. I then said I like Amory better. My first contact with Amory was very nice. Where did I say I was going to report you? Indeed, where did I threaten to report you? Do you want me to report you? I'm sure I could report you, but why would I want to do that? I have never reported someone for a name, indeed, I never will. Untill a few weeks ago I was still on Gilrain. I moved to Laurelin. I think the RP-naming policy is a tad daft, not because of the policy but because it has been upheld shoddily at best. I've said that numerous times.

    But hey, I can troll. Sure. Lets continue a bit. To clarify, lets start over with a few sentences I wrote already.

    *puts a sign on his door that says "Dr. Sigmund Barry, shrink"*

    Where did I say I was going to report you? Indeed, where did I threaten to report you? Do you want me to report you? I'm sure I could report you, but why would I want to do that? Was your mother into reporting? Was your father into reporting then? Please, tell me about your childhood. Come, here, this couch has been made especially for you. Let me grab my notebook. Yes. Now, as for your childhood...
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

  5. #580
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Ok, go ahead and roll a char on Landroval and submit the ticket then.

    Or are you a coward that likes rattling sabers?
    It wouldn't serve any use actually, not only because it would be silly, and childish, and vindictive, but because Landroval is RP encouraged, not RP enforced right? Safe as houses.

    Lets change Landroval to RP enforced maybe? Probably not a good idea to do that eh, seeing that naming policy is not in force over there.

    For the record, its 11.20 am here in Wales, the sun is shining, I've got a new cup of tea after losing the last one to an outburst of laughter and I just logged into Evernight. It's pretty busy, lots of players running around and standing by the vault in DA. No lag, I can move around as normal, open doors and load through portals very well, and trust me, I'm not exactly on the best system. If lag is gonna hit anyone, it's gonna hit me. It's not anywhere near as crowded as the Party Tree is likely to be come this Tuesday, and even if it is - I will move over, and share the World I live in with everyone there. There are plenty of ways to do that. The whole concept of world consolidation is to repopulate servers. That cannot happen if people want to keep them all to themselves.
    Monkeys are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey.
    Edited, because some folk just can't do wordplay.

  6. #581
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrynor View Post

    *puts a sign on his door that says "Dr. Sigmund Barry, shrink"*

    Where did I say I was going to report you? Indeed, where did I threaten to report you? Do you want me to report you? I'm sure I could report you, but why would I want to do that? Was your mother into reporting? Was your father into reporting then? Please, tell me about your childhood. Come, here, this couch has been made especially for you. Let me grab my notebook. Yes. Now, as for your childhood...
    For some reason you reminded me of Mat Damon singing "Afternoon Delight"
    It must be your PC...

  7. #582
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrynor View Post
    I said that I made a joke, and that you did not like the joke very much, and that you appearently could not stand it. I also said that I dont like the way you argue. I then said I like Amory better. My first contact with Amory was very nice. Where did I say I was going to report you? Indeed, where did I threaten to report you? Do you want me to report you? I'm sure I could report you, but why would I want to do that? I have never reported someone for a name, indeed, I never will. Untill a few weeks ago I was still on Gilrain. I moved to Laurelin. I think the RP-naming policy is a tad daft, not because of the policy but because it has been upheld shoddily at best. I've said that numerous times.

    But hey, I can troll. Sure. Lets continue a bit. To clarify, lets start over with a few sentences I wrote already.

    *puts a sign on his door that says "Dr. Sigmund Barry, shrink"*

    Where did I say I was going to report you? Indeed, where did I threaten to report you? Do you want me to report you? I'm sure I could report you, but why would I want to do that? Was your mother into reporting? Was your father into reporting then? Please, tell me about your childhood. Come, here, this couch has been made especially for you. Let me grab my notebook. Yes. Now, as for your childhood...
    Why would you bring something up like that if you had no intention to act on it?
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

    Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

  8. #583
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Why would you bring something up like that if you had no intention to act on it?
    Aha! Did you or did you not report Bango?
    Roses are red, Polar bears are white, if you meet one at night you'll get quite a fright.

  9. #584
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laurelin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Why would you bring something up like that if you had no intention to act on it?
    Why would you bring the Bango.com thing up if you had no intention to act on it ?
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

  10. #585
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,436
    @Almagnus1, man I agree with you in principle...but, at the moment you are making Bango, Barry and Amorey seem like the sane ones.

    Maybe it's time to move on? Food for thought...
    Finally had his William Shatner moment :)

  11. #586
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    Why would you bring the Bango.com thing up if you had no intention to act on it ?
    I'd just like to chime in on the bango thing for a minute if I may.

    There are actually four companies in the UK alone, using the word Bango in their names - which suggests trademark isn't an issue. Disney on the other hand could pose a problem or two You don't have a closet character called Walty Disneytoes by any chance do you Bango?
    Monkeys are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey.
    Edited, because some folk just can't do wordplay.

  12. #587
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I'd just like to chime in on the bango thing for a minute if I may.

    There are actually four companies in the UK alone, using the word Bango in their names - which suggests trademark isn't an issue. Disney on the other hand could pose a problem or two You don't have a closet character called Walty Disneytoes by any chance do you Bango?
    No but I do have several long running alts with the names: AppleiTunes, WindowsXP, WallMart and of course the ubiquitous Trump4President...

    Better report me on that last one!!
    It must be your PC...

  13. #588
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammadryad View Post
    Podgie and Flowerchild did nothing to attract attention in World chat or anywhere else, but they were reported and renamed. Ardbeg wasn't the only casualty of these these "Name police". Podgie was a character of a nice friendly helpful old gentleman, Flowerchild was mine and neither character did anything to attract attention to themselves. Nor were these the only ones caught in this situation and they won't be the last because regardless of "relaxing the naming rules", when January arrives all those who have transferred to Laurelin over then next 2 months may find that their name is now against the rules and get told "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" and find themselves being renamed at the whim of whichever GM looks at their particular ticket/report.
    The point here is, that if Ardbeg hadn't brought it up himself, people who didn't know the Whiskey brand would have been perfectly fine with the name. Bringing it up also points towards the connection being intentional.

    -And since you didn't specifically attract people's attention to it, none of the people who didn't know that flower and child were English words reported you and were likely fine with the name. However, the connection was glaringly obvious to the large majority of the playerbase. It is really a clear policy call to make. However, if Turbine thinks that words found in the dictionary and their combinations are not acceptable character names, it should be stated in the RP naming rules. It is not currently stated clearly enough in the roleplaying rules. People who are bothered by such names have right to report them if they think those names are unsuitable for LOTRO's roleplaying environment.

    Even if we take a stance some combination-of-words names are fine, 'flower child' essentially means a hippie (you can find a definition for it from dictionary.com), which makes it a slang expression of sorts, thus making it a bad name. However, since you didn't advertise this connection, none of the people who didn't already know about it reported your name due to this reason. Unfortunately for you, the term in that use is fairly commonly known. Can you honestly say that the concept of flower child was unknown to you prior to making the character?

    -Regarding Podgie, reason is likely related to this:

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=podgie

    Likely derived from word podgy (british variant from word pudgy)

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/podgy

    I could see a person who gets this kind of connotation from the name reporting it. However, I see it also used as a nickname for people and nickname, essentially, is a name. The nickname usage does not seem to have an obvious connection with the Urban Dictionary definition. So, Podgie a borderline name, but personally I'd deem the OOC connection/slang term usage obscure and would let the name pass.

    Regarding my own RP background, I used to play RP/PK hybrid MUD called Carrion Fields, where roleplaying was mandatory (this is more strict than LOTRO's RP supported). In CF, the naming rules are presented in form of questions that you had to answer correctly when picking the name. They questions are:
    -Is this name an original name as far as you know? (Yes)
    -Is this name a combination of two other names (e.g. Maryjane)? (No)
    -Is this name found in any dictionary or a common slang term? (No)

    Personally, I'm fine with every name that fulfills these three criteria. Regarding the dictionary one, CF devs cared only about words in English language, since English was the language of the game. However, it is LOTRO's rules that are enforced in LOTRO, not CF's. I haven't gotten into actually reporting anyone in LOTRO, so following the CF's simple naming rules is more of a recommendation/suggestion on how to avoid picking a bad name than an ultimatum. Regarding bad names, people don't really care whether you are Laurelin native or came from Gilrain/wherever to the server. The person reporting it cannot be expected to know it. It is the GM that should deem how much their history on the other server matters in the renaming decision.
    Last edited by Agantas; Oct 19 2015 at 11:26 AM.

  14. #589
    Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Rather I'm very well aware of the state of the product that I have invested a bit of money and time into, and honest about it's current state. It's not all a bed of daisies (rose bushes have thorns, so a bed of roses wouldn't actually be that comfortable), and anyone who is trying to portray the gamestate in that manner is out of touch.
    I of course don't know where you are from, but in most western economies, customers vote with their wallets. If they pay for a service and they don't like what they get for it, they will usually stop paying for that service, and move to another, similar service. This applies to phones, internet services, television services, online subscriptions of any kind and also games. And in the games category there are so many, SO many different ones to choose from. None of which of course have the in-depth story line of the Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth.

    I agree with you in principle, I don't think the RP specific servers will survive. That is, if there ever IS another merge of servers (I can see them going from 5 to 3 at some point on each geographical side), it will be the RP servers that will probably have the lowest population, and will be the first to be axed. I don't think the "over my cold dead body" stance that some of the roleplayers are taking, is good for the future of the server they are on, but that is just my personal opinion.

    Evernight will have the hardware to support everyone that doesn't want to be on a RP server. I do think it is better for English (and German for that matter) to have TWO places without strict enforcement of the rules instead of just ONE, and I do think changing over to "role play encouraged" is better.

    40% of the EU server space will be RP specific - 2 out of 5 servers, and that seems a bit much to me, because I don't think there is 40% of players that want to be playing under the roleplaying rules. Depending on how things progress, there is a good chance that EVENTUALLY Laurelin will house around 20% of the English population, and 80% will be on Evernight. See, the one thing you have to think about is the future. This game has many years left in it, there is a lot of untold story, and the player base is still fairly strong, even though we had to consolidate the servers. But when it comes to picking a server in the future, I think most new players in Europe will probably pick Evernight. The strict role playing rules might be a turn off for players that are new to the game, or are returning to the game next year.

    I think in the future, out of the 10 remaining servers, the two EU RP servers will become the least populated. And that is something that can only be averted by changing the rules.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  15. #590
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Upon these hither shores
    Posts
    277
    you don't have to rp to be on Laurelin or Belegaer. The rp rules cover only names, I think it has been said already many times that on rp servers there are loads of "normal" players who do raids and pvp like any other server. Can population balance be averted ONLY by changing the rules? Nope, add another normal server. However, the future is not certain to any of us, and this thread is now going in circles. Turbine will decide what it will decide, and players will have to accept their decision, thet they agree or not, that they impact NA or EU all the same.

    I think it is time to close this thread as it has become a tangled mess and no spool is going to put some order in it.

  16. #591
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laurelin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    .... I do think it is better for English (and German for that matter) to have TWO places without strict enforcement of the rules instead of just ONE, and I do think changing over to "role play encouraged" is better.
    Just out of curiosity, you are playing one one of the server we are talking about and you know the communities so you are talking from your own personal experience and not just assumption , yes ?

    How many server merge you think a game need ? Usually it is done once in the life of a game, of course nothing to stop Turbine from doing this again but I doubt very much they will want to go through an other epic effort like this one if that can be avoided.

    I think we should trust them to know their numbers better than we do, they have said the new hardware would easily support just 2 servers , one in the US and one in the EU and yet, they have decided that they do really want to try to keep at least a few more for a number of reasons, one of which is how strong and established communities on those servers are. I really would like people to stop painting Laurelin like an horrible place where the rules are so strict one cannot get out of the door without wearing Gandalf's hat , elf pointy ears or a fake beard. Laurelin is a server where many different play styles live together in harmony. NOT everyone on Laurelin is a RP but everyone enjoy the closeness of the community which has been helped over the years by having a few extra rules.


    40% of the EU server space will be RP specific - 2 out of 5 servers, and that seems a bit much to me, because I don't think there is 40% of players that want to be playing under the roleplaying rules. Depending on how things progress, there is a good chance that EVENTUALLY Laurelin will house around 20% of the English population, and 80% will be on Evernight.
    And your numbers are coming from where ? How do you make these predictions? You 'do not think' people want to play under RP rules, but you really 'do not know' - what if you were told people do actually chose Laurelin because of the extra rules ? Would that be a surprise to you? I wish people would stop giving made-up numbers about this, really it is a pointless exercise now, especially after the last 2 pages in this thread.

    See, the one thing you have to think about is the future. This game has many years left in it, there is a lot of untold story, and the player base is still fairly strong, even though we had to consolidate the servers.
    With Mordor not far off and the licencing to be renewed in 2017 , yes. One think we all have in common here is the love and passion for this game, but not at the expense of keeping the balance and do what is fair.

    The RP community has as much right as all the other players that do not RP to continue their journey through Middle-earth as they have done for 8 years.

    But when it comes to picking a server in the future, I think most new players in Europe will probably pick Evernight. The strict role playing rules might be a turn off for players that are new to the game, or are returning to the game next year.

    I think in the future, out of the 10 remaining servers, the two EU RP servers will become the least populated. And that is something that can only be averted by changing the rules.
    Turbine could easily avoided all this drama by closing down Laurelin now if it was so small and insignificant , surely ...but they did not ! They have said ' Laurelin stay open and the RP rules remain as they were ' Stop asking to change a decision Turbine made, not the players, Turbine did. The RP rules are not strict , they are not limiting other people gameplay or enjoyment . Naming rules were never a problem really, as we keep saying, and we are happy Turbine has relaxed them for a while to allow people to understand them.
    Last edited by Amorey; Oct 19 2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling - excuse my accent, I am from Overhill :)
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

  17. #592
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I agree with you in principle, I don't think the RP specific servers will survive. That is, if there ever IS another merge of servers (I can see them going from 5 to 3 at some point on each geographical side), it will be the RP servers that will probably have the lowest population, and will be the first to be axed. I don't think the "over my cold dead body" stance that some of the roleplayers are taking, is good for the future of the server they are on, but that is just my personal opinion.
    I've said elsewhere in threads when the consolidations were first presented by Turbine that I thought we would end up with just 1 US and 1 EU server - consolidations / mergers / server closures are a vicious circle that once started always end up with server numbers much lower than was anticipated. Now, if Turbine could look at using existing tech such as the dynamic layers to create a virtual RP realm along with those that are language specific then that would be something I suspect the vast majority would want to get behind - because though some like to present it as such, this issue about RP server rules is not a zero-sum game.

    As for mine & Amorey's influence with Turbine, if it is really that substantial that our "stance" will impact the future longevity of Laurelin and the RP ruleset then perhaps I had better start arguing for stat caps, multi-boss progression raids and hard-core landscape content to be introduced along with the immediate scrapping of big battles and rubbish quests where we are servants and skivvies!! One can live in hope!!
    It must be your PC...

  18. #593
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    To add to Amorey's points, the other reason why is that up until recently, character renaming & prolific reporting have never really been that much of an issue. Sure people get renamed by the GMs from time to time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirarian View Post
    ...Honestly I think the whole naming thing is blown WAY out of proportion. ...
    So what exactly would you say the problem is then? Are you guys proposing that all this hoopla about renames is actually a cover up for an agenda to change the rules? As a potential transferee to Laurelin, in my mind it is and always has been (since the world consolidation) the "prolific reporting" (how prolific it is I really can't say) and forced renaming. Some of it has been mitigated with the free rename token, but still if it not the renaming then what exactly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirarian View Post
    The real issue is not stricter rules on Laurelin as much as it is the shear stupidity of Turbine only keeping one non RP English language server open. I saw the moment it was announced which English language servers would survive that Evernight was going to be ridiculously overcrowded. It was inevitable.

    I rolled on Laurelin because of the stricter ruleset. I honestly believe that demanding that ruleset be permanently changed is absolutely wrong. If you transfer to Laurelin you KNOW it is a RP server. You in effect agree to those terms. Trying to force the terms to change because you now realize it was a bad choice for you is not the right answer.
    I also saw the Evernight overcrowding in advance. Why Turbine didn't see it coming and/or chose to go along with it I will never be able to fathom. But I can't fathom why they didn't go ahead with the hardware upgrades BEFORE the consolidations either. It would have eliminated a lot of ambiguity.

    I agree with you for the most part. Although I am not inclined to say that the rules shouldn't be changed period, I do think that it should be the absolute last resort after we/Turbine has tried every thing else and failed. I honestly don't think it will come to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    The naming rules have been relaxed by Turbine to the end of this year, they are very safe at the moment and they will continue to be safe....It is safe from the moment that person arrives on Laurelin, please let's not be so dramatic. There are no monsters on Laurelin waiting to report a name for just say 'hi' in a public channel ...but we do have trolls, those nasty creatures are everywhere and surely you can understand we cant control that , no one can on any server. If a troll decide to stat living in the /world chat there is little we or you can do, it is up to the GMs to monitor that

    Anyway I think this will answer some of your questions
    It does some. Thank you for that. I am not trying to be dramatic, but I am trying to express the concern that I feel is genuinely shared by many transfers.

    I do feel that knowingly rolling a toon that violates the rules is wrong and that you deserve what is coming to you. However, I also feel that in Ardbeg's case, his downfall was that he drew (whether intentionally or unintentionally)attention to his name. Someone in the Laurelin community (who was trying to be nice and welcoming) inadvertently drew more attention to it by complimenting him, and then a conversation about his name began. All of that could have been avoiding (at least for a time) if he hadn't participated in world chat.

    Furthermore, the reporting/renaming could pick right back up again at the end of the year. It just doesn't feel like transferees have a 100% fool proof opition in this except to maybe lay low for awhile.

  19. #594
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedelric2 View Post
    It does some. Thank you for that. I am not trying to be dramatic, but I am trying to express the concern that I feel is genuinely shared by many transfers.

    I do feel that knowingly rolling a toon that violates the rules is wrong and that you deserve what is coming to you. However, I also feel that in Ardbeg's case, his downfall was that he drew (whether intentionally or unintentionally)attention to his name. Someone in the Laurelin community (who was trying to be nice and welcoming) inadvertently drew more attention to it by complimenting him, and then a conversation about his name began. All of that could have been avoiding (at least for a time) if he hadn't participated in world chat.

    Furthermore, the reporting/renaming could pick right back up again at the end of the year. It just doesn't feel like transferees have a 100% fool proof opition in this except to maybe lay low for awhile.
    I think you're right. However, they could take advantage of the free transfer events that VyVyanne has mentioned will be held occasionally after all the new hardware is in place, and move to a server where they won't have to worry.

  20. #595
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Still lost
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    Why would you bring the Bango.com thing up if you had no intention to act on it ?
    Bango is also Romanian for awkward, an east African reed, and a family name in the US and UK. Words can have many meanings in the world beyond the modern or commercial, and I believe such names should be viewed in terms of the older meanings for the sake of RP. Besides, Bango also meets the guidelines for a male Harfoot.
    Keep calm, and snuggle.

  21. #596
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laurelin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedelric2 View Post
    So what exactly would you say the problem is then? Are you guys proposing that all this hoopla about renames is actually a cover up for an agenda to change the rules? As a potential transferee to Laurelin, in my mind it is and always has been (since the world consolidation) the "prolific reporting" (how prolific it is I really can't say) and forced renaming. Some of it has been mitigated with the free rename token, but still if it not the renaming then what exactly?
    Let's try again, shall we ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Roleplaying Name Policy
    This policy is in addition to Turbine’s Name Policy, found at http://www.lotro.com/support/1033-coc, which applies to all Lord of the Rings Online servers.

    In order to facilitate an immersive roleplaying experience, all character names within official Roleplay-Supported servers are required to be within the spirit of The Lord of the Rings. Character names should be inspired by and reflect the lore of The Lord of the Rings. Please note that names that are homonyms or similar to characters from the lord of The Lord of the Rings may not be used, as stated in Turbine’s naming policy.
    This is the 'extra' RP naming rule on top of the general COC naming rules all server have. Now given the very nature of Laurelin and until just before server transfer began, a person choosing Laurelin would most likely be a RPer or someone interested in finding out about RP, or maybe someone that did not RP but just wanted a more immersive experience in Middle-earth. Names are usually chosen carefully after some research , depending on race of course. Turbine makes a series of suggestions in their rules on how to name your character, but over the years , although the rules were still enforced, I think we all became less worried about names. RPers play with the overhead names turned off most of the time, they rarely frequent /world and other ooc chats .

    And then server transfers began *insert dramatic music here*

    Like on all servers, there are trolls even on Laurelin, we have established that and we agree it is really not much a community can do against those creatures. One thing I can assure you though, there cannot be 'prolific reporting' because the GMs are not silly, and 'prolific reporting' can land the reporting person is some pickles. It could be seen as 'harassment' the GMs have the details of the accounts the report is coming from, they can make their minds up. Is the reporting account a low level on a F2P? Are the reasons given int he report valid enough? The GMs don't go and change a name lightly, they get a report and some reasons, after that they and only they will decide what to do .

    At the moment the naming rules have been relaxed ( thanks Vyvyanne ) to give time to people to settle on the server, it's that wonderful ? As we said many times there are many names on Laurelin that could be seen as borderline but they are there and have been there for a long time, this should be enough proof to you and anyone that really this name thing has been 'much ado about nothing' I hope that Turbine will continue to change those terrible and vulgar names that are against the CoC though, those names no one wants to see in any game on any server, names that use crime against women and children for example or racism , those names are a NO NO everywhere not only on Laurelin.


    I also saw the Evernight overcrowding in advance. Why Turbine didn't see it coming and/or chose to go along with it I will never be able to fathom. But I can't fathom why they didn't go ahead with the hardware upgrades BEFORE the consolidations either. It would have eliminated a lot of ambiguity.
    I have no answer for that, all I can say is that we are all human and sometime make mistakes , things don't always work the way we want them to work. They know now , and the quote below from today is the proof of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne
    Morthond is now available for transfer.

    Tomorrow we will open transfers off of Windfola.

    After those two are open, we will be pausing in opening any more closing servers for transfer until we are on the new hardware which will be able to handle the increased populations. We are already seeing great increases in load on the remaining servers and do not wish to put further strain on them and the players on them. This should only be a matter of a few weeks at this point though, so we appreciate your patience.
    I agree with you for the most part. Although I am not inclined to say that the rules shouldn't be changed period, I do think that it should be the absolute last resort after we/Turbine has tried every thing else and failed. I honestly don't think it will come to that.
    The rules on Laurelin and Belegaer should really be kept because they do offer an alternative way to play the game in a different environment from other server. Because you do not have to RP to join a RP server, but you can still take advantage of the more relaxed atmosphere and experience a deeper level of immersion in Middle-earth

    It does some. Thank you for that. I am not trying to be dramatic, but I am trying to express the concern that I feel is genuinely shared by many transfers.

    I do feel that knowingly rolling a toon that violates the rules is wrong and that you deserve what is coming to you. However, I also feel that in Ardbeg's case, his downfall was that he drew (whether intentionally or unintentionally)attention to his name. Someone in the Laurelin community (who was trying to be nice and welcoming) inadvertently drew more attention to it by complimenting him, and then a conversation about his name began. All of that could have been avoiding (at least for a time) if he hadn't participated in world chat.

    Furthermore, the reporting/renaming could pick right back up again at the end of the year. It just doesn't feel like transferees have a 100% fool proof opition in this except to maybe lay low for awhile.
    What is done is done now, time to move on, hopefully things will calm down and everyone will see that this was not really a huge thing, I hope you will come and visit sometime, see for yourself what the community is all about, just remember not to take what you may see in /world chat as a true representation of Laurelin
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

  22. #597
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedelric2 View Post
    So what exactly would you say the problem is then? Are you guys proposing that all this hoopla about renames is actually a cover up for an agenda to change the rules? As a potential transferee to Laurelin, in my mind it is and always has been (since the world consolidation) the "prolific reporting" (how prolific it is I really can't say) and forced renaming. Some of it has been mitigated with the free rename token, but still if it not the renaming then what exactly?
    No, rather that the pending server closures, character transfers and the wider issues regarding name availability has created a bit of a perfect storm with which the trolls have made hay with. Laurelin has never had a "prolific history" of name reporting and forced renaming. Of course it happened but it was never something that had people up in arms about. As to why, I suspect it was because only those who played on Laurelin wanted to be on Laurelin and so were willing to accept the RP rules and the implications around them - and that includes the majority of Laurelin residents who don't RP. And also because there were always other servers to play on.

    As for the prolific reporting, there has never been a history of that on the server. Of course it happened but never on the scale that you're suggesting (without any evidence for that matter).
    It must be your PC...

  23. #598
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Laurelin
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirbel View Post
    Bango is also Romanian for awkward, an east African reed, and a family name in the US and UK. Words can have many meanings in the world beyond the modern or commercial, and I believe such names should be viewed in terms of the older meanings for the sake of RP. Besides, Bango also meets the guidelines for a male Harfoot.

    Yes I did my research too this morning, it did give me a giggle when I found out Bango is a 'weed' in Africa

    And yes Bango is a really good name for a hobbit, Tolkien himself used several similar names

    Balbo Baggins

    Bingo Baggins

    Bungo Baggins

    Mungo Baggins


    And many many more
    Amorey
    Laurelin Archives Webteam

  24. #599
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    5,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirbel View Post
    Bango is also Romanian for awkward
    Sounds about right!!
    It must be your PC...

  25. #600
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    The GMs don't go and change a name lightly, they get a report and some reasons, after that they and only they will decide what to do .
    I have to disagree with that. There have been more renames than mentioned on the various threads, and quite a lot of people contacted a GM or customer service and actually got their name back. To me, that sounds like either a) GMs differ a lot on how to implement these rules and as such someone getting renamed highly depends on whoever reads the reports or b) GMs don't actually think much about the report at first and just rename, until the renamed person contacts them. Both don't sound like a good situation to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amorey View Post
    At the moment the naming rules have been relaxed ( thanks Vyvyanne ) to give time to people to settle on the server, it's that wonderful ?
    And a few days after that a couple of people, with normal names, got a rename as well.

    I don't mind extra naming rules. I do mind how they're being handled, and I hope that come the new year, issues like these will be gone.
    Carannar & Alatir ~ minstrel and guardian of Invicta

 

 
Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload