We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Monster Play Guide/How-to?

I have some questions about the Creep/Freep "Monster Play" portion of the game:

1. Is this LoTRO's PvP?

2. Is/Are there Guides/How-to's regarding the mechanics, what levels are required, where to go to start, etc.?

3. Are the Monster Play areas by level...by that I mean if my character is level 10 (as example) would he be in a PvP area with other levels within the same range or is everyone, regardless of level, in the same area? (Have seen games where high-level griefers would camp the spawn area and kill low-level characters endlessly)

4. Is there a minimum level one must be before gaining access to this portion of the LoTRO game?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Celthon View Post
    I have some questions about the Creep/Freep "Monster Play" portion of the game:

1. Is this LoTRO's PvP?

2. Is/Are there Guides/How-to's regarding the mechanics, what levels are required, where to go to start, etc.?

3. Are the Monster Play areas by level...by that I mean if my character is level 10 (as example) would he be in a PvP area with other levels within the same range or is everyone, regardless of level, in the same area? (Have seen games where high-level griefers would camp the spawn area and kill low-level characters endlessly)

4. Is there a minimum level one must be before gaining access to this portion of the LoTRO game?

1. this is lotro's pvp, or pvmp if you will.

2. i don't know about guides hmmmmm....
    to sum it up

-there is a rank based system, 15 ranks total. you progress through the ranks like levels, but instead of xp, you gain renown/infamy for killing opposite faction, or questing. everyone start at rank 0

-the currency in pvp is commendation. again, obtained from questing or killing players. commendation is used for potions, armours, audacity etc.

-main difference between creeps and Freeps is that creeps start at level 100, and have access to fewer skills. these skills are rank based, and cost commendation to buy. (you can buy these skills in lotro store)

-Audacity, it is a stat unique to pvp zone. it reduces the incoming damage and cc duration, and boost your own dmg. for creeps it's a passive purchased with commendations. for Freeps, it's on their armour, which is also purchased with commendation. the maximum audacity is 25

3. your Freep needs to be at least level 20 to access pvp zones. your Freep will be scaled up to lvl 100.

you need a level 10 Freep at the very least to create a Creep.

4. playing a level scaled Freep is not recommended since you are far weaker than an actual level 100 freep. you don't have all your skills, and your stats, even though scaled to
    level 100, are plain horrible. you are basically free infamy to Creeps.

Have fun and hang in there! Starting from scratch from either side sucks, but once you're past the grinding stage, it can be a lot of fun.

Thank you for the reply and the detailed information.

Heyo

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...moors-on-Eldar

When I first started PvP on Withy I found this guide pretty helpful. It's a bit dated and doesn't touch on the new Osgiliath map but still very informative.

Freep class guides can be found in their respective class forums. Creep class guides can be found under the Creep sub-forums, though they're a bit disorganized and spread out. There are also class guides (and likely General PvP guides) on other 3rd party sites which can easily be found through a quick google search.

If I may, I suggest doing PvP with a friend or getting in with an active PvP Kin or Tribe. As a R0, you're going to be dying a lot (we all did) and it can get pretty discouraging so it's nice to have someone to vent to or laugh with. It's important to keep trying, keep a good attitude, consider every death a learning experience and remember it's just a game. Don't take getting killed personal or you'll be ragequitting within an hour.

Oh.. what else? 'Moors Etiquette' or 'Moors Manners' may or may not exist on your server. These aren't really rules but general guidelines. You're not obligated in any way to follow them and not everyone does but it usually leads to a better PvP experience for both parties. Some examples-

1) If you are in a group, say a 6man for instance, it's generally considered bad manners to attack a solo player you come across as they have little to no chance of surviving.
    2) If you come across two players in a 1v1, it's generally frowned upon to jump in and attack unless one of them ask for help.
    3) As a Creep, you will on occasion come across scaled freeps, it's generally frowned upon to attack and kill them unless they attack first [Scaled freeps are almost always easy infamy for us]
    4) Once you get higher ranked, it's generally frowned upon to attack and kill 'red ranks' or 'greenies', which are players R5 and below unless they attack you first.

These are just some examples from my own server, they may be completely different on your server or they may not exist at all. Next time you're in the Moors or Osg, it might be worth asking about in /ooc (which is the channel most commonly used out there).

Above all, don't be afraid to ask questions and remember to have fun :3
    --Valishar, R7 Minstrel --Valignant, R11 Weaver (Retired)

And dont forget in the end you will lose your mind, morals and all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by branvogil View Post
    And dont forget in the end you will lose your mind, morals and all hope.
    this^^ so much
    Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Wizards, For They Are subtle and Quick To Anger.

Arkenstone ~ R9 RiseAgainst Reaver ~ R9 PowerWolf Warleader ~ R11 Armdyl LoreMaster

Oh, that's not very encouraging, lol. Matters not, as I've been told by kids/grand-kids, etc. I've lost my mind many decades ago...

Thank you again for the replies and information/insights.

Lots of information from a creep perspective in the 'Monster Manual' available here: http://www.theblackappendage.com/

Some details will be out of date, but it'll still give you a useful overview. Sounds like you're mainly/currently playing freepside (?), but even if that's the case it's still very useful to understand how the other side thinks
    Vulfen cpt 100

Thank you for the link to the guide. I have not used the "Monster Play" option in LoTRO at all since I first started playing in 2010...always meant to try it, just to see what it was, but for one reason or another never got around to it.