We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Very nice post indeed. Tnx!

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlohir View Post
    Errenor your awesome. glad to say when i first joined lotro a good while ago i used this guide as a reference and since then ive become quite respected in laurelins rp community. and it is because of this great guide. thanks so much!
    I am truly glad to hear it has been of such help and guidance Ehlohir, and thank you for your words; I appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas2112 View Post
    Very nice post indeed. Tnx!
    I thank you!

Over the past weeks I have re-read the guide (or most parts of it), and in a further effort to keep it as short as possible without leaving out important and useful information, and to the point, I found some parts here and there that could be shortened. Not much, a few words from some sentences, but it adds up a little. Other than that, the presentation of the different branches of the Teleri elves is made a little clearer, or easier on the eye (by moving them a little to the right). The same has been done also with the Naming Traditions.

As for new additions, for this time we have:

For the Guide to Role Play:
    • Do not harass role play, nor use it as a way to abuse other players for any reason. [Added the second part from the Official RP Policy]

For the Guide to Immersion:
    • A mention of the emotes collection panel and how to access it.

For the Guide to the Lore:
    Men (under the People of Gondor)
    • The people of Gondor generally use the Common Speech; but Sindarin is an acquired polite language and used by those of more pure Númenórean descent, especially in Minas Tirith, if they wish to be polite (as in the cry Ernil i Pheriannath, and Master Perian in RotK). Quenya is known to the learned in Gondor (at least as well as Latin still is in Western Europe). ~ From The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 347.

Regarding the first one, over the years I have been told of certain few people (or kinships) using role play to behave in such a manner, and recently I was asked by another person for counsel about this as it happened again it seems. That is how this came back to mind. For those that may face such treatment, even if it is IC, know that you are protected by Turbine. But try to remember that arguments, and dislikes, and haughty attitude, were all seen in Middle-earth among the Free Peoples. As said in another point of the guide, IC talk is directed at your character, not at you the player. Nonetheless, if you feel that you are treated in that way rather for OOC reasons, and not for IC, it is good to know that this official rule exists.

There are more additions to come that I have in mind, or/and in notes, but I have not worked on them yet.
    Last edited by Erennor; Feb 19 2016 at 12:37 PM.

Hello again!

A few 'changes', and one small addition.

For the Guide to Immersion:
    • Cosmetic Outfits
      I have removed the following: 'Weapons are visible in all outfits; to take them off, remove them into your bag.'

I was re-reading some parts yestereve and I saw this and remembered that we need not do this anymore as they have now added the 'eye icons' to show and hide weapons and shields too. So a few more words less than before : )

• Hobbits [Under Frodo and his Affairs]
      I split this in two paragraphs and made use of italics for the quotes of the hobbits. I think this part is now more easier on the eye, and flows better too.

• Shire-dialect and Common Sayings
      'Things look as hopeless as a frost in Spring'
      ~ from The Return of the King, The Tower of Cirith Ungol

Words are not enough to express gratitude.

Well thought out. Easy read. Exciting, thoughtful, and wonderful. These words do not even scratch the surface of the impact of your missive. Thank you one hundred..one thousand times.

And I thank you; thank you for reading it, and for your words!

Greetings!

Apart from shortening a few more sentences by a few words here and there, some more time was spent on changing the arrangement of the following part to be more compact in form. If you have read this guide before, feel no need to read these as they are the same text, but they are ordered differently. A mere look at it will suffice to see the difference and save your time.

The part below is how it was before,

How To Use Communication Channels In Character
    To foster an environment that preserves the immersion, the following chat-channels on this server are IC: SAY, REGIONAL, LFF, and TRADE. Say is the area around your character, what he sees and hears, and so it is the most reasonable channel for IC treatment. To use this channel type: /me (space, and follow with text). Add the speech separately, after (or before) that, again in say.

For example: /me looks down on the water with eyes of a merry and playful expression. And in a new new line type: 'It is a fair morn, and my heart rejoices seeing the light of the sun playing down on the face of the stream!'

The other channels can be used in a different manner: with the rumors and sightings way, usually written in the third person.

For example: [Regional] 'A company of wandering dwarves came into the village this morning, and rumor has it that they carried many goods and crafts that they will be selling tomorrow in the market.' A little needed OOC information may be added to let other players know of an event or a gathering: 'All that is heard lately in Pomso's homestead is about his birthday party [[next Monday at 22:00 UK in his home]] and all around hobbits say its going to be a grand celebration! ''It will snow food and rain drink'' is all they say. ''Come and join in the fun!'' Pomso has been saying to everyone.'

[Trade] 'Excellent varieties of pipe-weed are sold by Ponso down the road outside the Green Dragon. His prices are quite good they say! [[Want to sell/Want to buy Longbottom Leaf and Old Toby]]'

[LFF] 'A small group of Bree-folk was seen heading off to the farmlands to drive away the local brigands that have been causing some trouble. [[Need a healer for <name of quest>]]'

The use of OOC in these channels is less strict as sometimes IC treatment is not realistic, so be not discouraged if you see OOC messages there. For as has been told, many quests are not considered IC, and thus in such cases it is more suitable to use LFF in an OOC manner, and the TRADE channel too, depending on the item.

Finally, tells too, can be used IC; as a whisper. When your character wants to say something to someone without others around knowing what is said.

and now it has this layout, giving it a more brief shape, and I think it is also easier to read, or at least easier on the eye. In this arrangement it makes the Guide to the Role Play part seem a little more clear too, as before this part combined with the text above it and under it made it seem more lengthy, or 'busy'.

To foster an environment that preserves the immersion, the following chat-channels on this server are IC: SAY, REGIONAL, LFF, and TRADE. Say is the area around your character, what he sees and hears, and so the most reasonable channel for IC treatment. To use it type: /me (space, and follow with text). Add the speech separately, after (or before) that, again in say. The other channels can be used in a different manner: with the rumors and sightings way, usually written in the third person. Finally, tells too, can be IC; as a whisper. When your character wants to say something to someone without others around knowing what is said. At times, a little OOC information may be added within brackets [[ ]] to let others know of an event or a gathering. Examples for each channel now follow:

[Say] /me looks down on the water with eyes of a merry expression. And in a new new line: 'It is a fair morn, and my heart rejoices seeing the light of the sun playing down on the face of the stream!'

[Regional] 'A company of dwarves came into the village this morning, and rumor has it that they carried many goods and crafts that they will be selling tomorrow in the market.'
    'All that is heard lately in Pomso's homestead is about his birthday party [[next Monday at 22:00 UK-time]] and all around hobbits say its going to be a grand celebration! ''It will snow food and rain drink'' is all they say. ''Come and join in the fun!'' Pomso has been saying to everyone.'

[Trade] 'Excellent varieties of pipe-weed are sold by Ponso outside the Green Dragon. His prices are quite good they say! [[Want to sell/Want to buy Longbottom Leaf and Old Toby]]'

[LFF] 'A small group of Bree-folk was seen heading off to the farmlands to drive away the local brigands that have been causing some trouble. [[Need a healer for <name of quest>]]'

• The use of OOC especially in the Trade and LFF channels is less strict as sometimes IC treatment is not realistic, so be not discouraged if you see OOC messages there. For as has been told, many quests are not considered IC, and thus in such cases it is more suitable to use LFF in an OOC manner, and the TRADE channel, depending on the item.

Greetings to all!

New additions to the lore and the removal of two small sentences.

Dwarves
    • They are a hard thrawn folk for the most part, secretive, acquisitive, laborious, retentive of the memory of injuries (and of benefits), lovers of stone, of metals, of gems, of things that grow and take shape under the hands of craft rather than of things that live by their own life.
      ~ from The History of Middle-earth, The Peoples of Middle-earth, The appendix on Languages II

Men (under the People of Gondor)
    • In Gondor the courteous forms are used by men to all women, irrespective of rank, other than their lovers, wives, sisters, and children. To their parents children use the courteous forms throughout their lives, as soon as they have learned to speak correctly. Among grown men it is used more sparingly, chiefly to those of superior rank and office, and then mainly on formal occasions, unless the superior is also of greater age. Old people are often addressed with the courteous form by much younger men or women, irrespective of all other considerations.
      ~ from The History of Middle-earth, The Peoples of Middle-earth, The appendix on Languages II

I felt unsure at first as to where to put in the latter. When I re-discovered this passage I thought right away 'for the Manner of Speech' section, as it is that - a manner of speech of these people, and that section is dedicated to that. And yet, I still felt not certain that it would fit there best, and so I asked others too in-game. It has now been added as you see in the People of Gondor part for it is much more detailed than all the text in the Manner of Speech section which is general and brief information about the different races, whereas this passage is long and in depth and so, -like another person said in-game too- it seems more fitting to be included there.

Apart from these additions, I have removed these two short lines from the Dwarves, and Men (under The People of Gondor) parts:

• and they live long, far beyond the span of Men, yet not for ever.
    • About them there is a garden and a greensward with trees, the only such place in the City.

The reasoning for this is again to keep all text to the point and leave in information that does not stray away. The first one has been taken out because there is already a detailed paragraph further below that speaks especially about that topic: on the ages and longevity of dwarves. Apart from a narrative perspective, as it makes that sentence flow well, it is not practical as it is repetitive. The latter one I thought to remove as the purpose of that part is to give information about the healers, and that bit that has been omitted tells us about the structural description - not of these people. I do not say that it is not useful to have knowledge about the different places in Middle-earth, nay. But as you can see from reading all these lore parts, (save on one or two occasions in which I feel it is very useful to have this type of learning) this guide is aimed at giving us information about the peoples and their common traits and character/behaviour as written by the author - all truly useful, and inspiring too, for role play. I would gladly put in all the related passages that tell of structures and places, but it would make the guide twice as long, if not more. And indeed, at first when the work for this guide begun, long ago now that seems, information about the historical events in the World were noted and gathered, but again, left out in the end as by including also that aspect of the lore would make for a much longer read.

Note: The first reference, is not added wholly in the text, as it is partly repetitive and would only increase the length without a need. Therefore only some of those words have been interwoven in the text.

A very enjoyable read! I'm especially glad to have come across the BABBLE plug in, as I was just commenting in the game last night "Why can't we have an option to simply do the emotes without having to read all of them?!" When you're at a party, event, etc, and you have 100 people applauding all at once, the amount of clutter in your chat box is just beyond words - literally! I'm looking forward to trying this plug in!

I thank you!

And indeed all these plugins are truly useful, or even needful for role play purposes. I like them all but for my part I remember I was enthusiastic the most when I found the one that predicts the in-game times. Without it, it is not easy to know what the in-game time will be at any given real-time as the cycle in LotRO changes from what I remember (that is, it may be dusk in-game today at 17:00 but the next day dusk could come at 20:00 and not at 17:00 again). And so this is very helpful and convenient when one wants to organize events that are time-related such as Elves travelling under the stars, scouts setting out at nightfall, a hobbit walking party that may want to set out early on in the morning, and many more such examples. I am very glad that someone put the time into making such a plugin. But truly all of them are very useful, aye.

What a lovely guide, great work!

Hello!

Over the past weeks/months I have shortened again some sentences in the guide to role play and immersion. None of these cuts take out any of the meaning or information, they are merely somewhat new forms of expressions in smaller versions of the previous ones.

Here is an example:

To make your character (and horse/pony) walk, use the key INS (or INSERT) on your keyboard. To sit on a chair or stool, type: /sit (while standing by such items)

Before:

To make your character (and horse/pony) walk, use the key INS (or INSERT) on your keyboard. To make your character sit on a chair or stool, type /sit (while standing by such items).

It may seem such a minor unimportant unessary detail to pay heed to, but, by doing that it makes it fit within one line. This is just one example - there are many more. It is only two or three words in each instance, but all together can add up. This repeated practise is done in an on-going effort to keep the text as short a possible and to the point (partly in hope that even complete newcomers may feel more encouraged to read it in full).

Apart from that, there were a few more points which it seemed to me that could have been written in a more clear way. That was done, and a few additions.

Elves

Elves of Lothlorien
    • Their property is to blend perfectly with all natural surroundings: leaves, boughs, grass, water, stone. Unless a full light of sun was on them, and the wearer was moving or set against the sky, they were not invisible, but unnoticeable.
      ~ From the History of Middle-earth, Story Foreseen from Lorien XVI

Sayings

May white stars shine on your journey! - parting words
    ~ from The History of Middle-earth, Vol II, XXIV The Ring Goes South

May the stars shine upon the end of your road!
    ~ from The Lord of the Rings, Three is Company

May Elbereth protect you!
    ~ From The Lord of the Rings, Three is Company

Men [Under 'People of Gondor']

Sayings

Night oft brings news to near kindred
    ~ From The Lord of the Rings, The Window on the West
    Last edited by Erennor; Dec 13 2016 at 10:15 AM.

Due to some recent official changes (you can read about them in this thread), the 'How to Use Communication-channels In Character' part of the Guide to Role play has been updated.

For those that have not yet noticed, (and for new players that will come in after days without having this prior knowledge), sadly the Advice channel has been removed from the game. This, can bear negative impacts, mainly for newcomers to LotRO. Just think of new players joining and seeing that there is a channel termed as Advice. It may give an impression of a welcoming invitation to freely ask questions about the game and seek for guidance. Now with the removal of Advice in every region, that potential positive effect is lost.

Using the World chat is not the solution, as it can often be fast, and so questions may vanish quickly, and in turn new players may feel discouraged. That is in addition of seeing it as somewhat daunting to join, to begin with, due to the fast and active chat and the uncertainty that new players may feel, especially those that have not played other games, or mmos before (and LotRO seems to attract folk that are not gamers).

Other than that, the LFF and Trade regional channels, are now no more. They have been changed to world-wide channels. But we should consider what does this may mean for the server.

Since they are now global (anyone can see the posts, from anywhere in the World) they can no longer be realistically regarded and used as IC (In Character) channels, (as well as not being protected anymore perhaps by the additional rp rules, since they are now not officially reserved for rp, as before).

At first it was disappointing to see this, but I think that this change may have also a positive aspect - perhaps even moreso than before. Since due to many items and quests the Trade and LFF messages are sometimes/often enough not realistic for IC treatment, at least now with this recent change such OOC and unreasonable (from an IC and realistic point of view) messages will take place there, leaving the RP-reasonable messages for trade and LFF purposes for the Regional channel (which is IC). And so concentrating all such RP messages in the IC Regional channel, which from an explanatory view, stands well, as it is the regional source: what the folk of that place may hear by others.

So to reflect these changes, here is the updated version of that part:

To foster an environment that encourages and preserves immersion, the SAY and REGIONAL chat-channels on this server are IC. Say is the area around your character, what he sees and hears, and so the most reasonable channel for IC treatment. To use it type: /me (space, and follow with text). Add the speech separately, after (or before) that, again in say. The Regional channel can be used in a different manner: with the rumors and sightings way, usually written in the third person. Finally, tells too, can be IC; as a whisper. When your character wants to say something to someone without others around knowing what is said. At times, a little (necessary) OOC information may be added within brackets [[ ]] to let others know of an event or a gathering. Examples for each channel now follow:

[Say] /me looks down on the water with eyes of a merry expression. And in a new new line:'It is a fair morn, and I rejoice seeing the light of the sun playing down on the face of the stream!'

[Regional] 'A company of dwarves came into the village this morning, and rumor has it that they carried many goods that they will be selling at the market square.'

'All that is heard lately in Pomso's homestead is about his birthday party [[next Monday at 22:00 UK-time]] and all around hobbits say its going to be a grand celebration! ''It will snow food and rain drink'' is all they say. ''Come and join in the fun!'' Pomso has been saying to everyone.'

'Excellent varieties of pipe-weed are sold by Ponso outside the Green Dragon. His prices are quite good they say! [[Want to sell/Want to buy Longbottom Leaf and Old Toby]]'

'A small group of Bree-folk was seen heading off to the farmlands to drive away the local brigands that have been causing some trouble. [[Need a healer for <name of quest>]]'

And if you want to compare with the older version:

To foster an environment that preserves the immersion, the following chat-channels on this server are IC: SAY, REGIONAL, LFF, and TRADE. Say is the area around your character, what he sees and hears, and so the most reasonable channel for IC treatment. To use it type: /me (space, and follow with text). Add the speech separately, after (or before) that, again in say. The other channels can be used in a different manner: with the rumors and sightings way, usually written in the third person. Finally, tells too, can be IC; as a whisper. When your character wants to say something to someone without others around knowing what is said. At times, a little OOC information may be added within brackets [[ ]] to let others know of an event or a gathering. Examples for each channel now follow:

[Say] /me looks down on the water with eyes of a merry expression. And in a new new line: 'It is a fair morn, and my heart rejoices seeing the light of the sun playing down on the face of the stream!'

[Regional] 'A company of dwarves came into the village this morning, and rumor has it that they carried many goods and crafts that they will be selling tomorrow in the market.'

[Trade] 'Excellent varieties of pipe-weed are sold by Ponso outside the Green Dragon. His prices are quite good they say! [[Want to sell/Want to buy Longbottom Leaf and Old Toby]]'

The use of OOC especially in the Trade and LFF channels is less strict as sometimes IC treatment is not realistic, so be not discouraged if you see OOC messages there. For as has been told, many quests are not considered IC, and thus in such cases it is more suitable to use LFF in an OOC manner, and the TRADE channel, depending on the item.

Greetings!

The official forum thread regarding the role playing policy on the officially rp supported worlds has been in dire need of an update for a long while; I think even more than two years by now. Since it has not, and is not being updated so far, (and I think it is is fair and reasonable to say that we all have waited long enough by now), and the present guide still gets multiple readings, and likely enough will continue so, especially now that LotRO looks to be in far better shape than former times, and more and more new and returning players come to the game, the guide will now play its part in directing readers to the updated/correct version of that thread as shown below. Even at the time the guide was shared and the link to the policy was placed, I knew it was outdated, but I thought to give time. There has been now about two years and the outdated information is unchanged. It is time, long overdue one may understandably say, for all the reasons mentioned below this be addressed and fixed at last.

For those that do not yet know, that forum thread has much outdated information.

1. It has broken links
    2. The World channel is not included
    3. Estel, -now a world that has passed into history-, is listed as an active world
    4. It lists channels that no longer exist in game, (the LFF channel and, sadly, the Advice channel too)
    5. Turbine has not been replaced with Standing Stones Games.

For those that may not see further, the consequences of that long outdated information is that new players interested in these things may be searching to learn more about the rp world in LotRO and the one thread that will come up and/or be directed to, is that one. The broken links and outdated information can lead readers to confusion, and new players not the least. So we can see what effect this has (and has had so far). And from another point of view, this, to say it plainly, looks poor for the image of the game, or at least in one of its aspects.

Apart from the long outdated information, the thread has much repetition, and it is longer than necessary when it can be shorter without changing its core and purpose. Why this is important one may ask? The length of it may discourage viewers from reading it, (or at least, not reading it in full). If we want to help existing, and especially new players, (and others that may be looking from outside - visitors) to understand/respect the enviroment which the rp worlds support and aim to encourage on a wide level, it is critical to make all that information and guidelines as easy and clear to read as possible, concise, and to the point without repetition.

In the post bellow you can see a visually re-organised, much clearer in text, to the point, with much less repetition alternative of that same post. If you compare it with the current one, you can see that its core is not changed. It is mainly the presentation and cuts of needless prior wording that fills up the page, and of course updated information, so that new players will from now on have have available to them the updated and correct relevant information, and also, feel encouraged to read it all due to the clearer and shorter presentation.

Standing Stone Games (SSG), provides The Lord of the Rings Online™ with Official Role-playing Supported servers giving our players the opportunity to be deeply immersed within the lore and world of Middle-earth. These servers have additional naming and chat rules to deliver an enjoyable experience not only for role-players, but also for players that would appreciate a more Middle-earth immersive environment.

The following worlds are Roleplay-Supported:

Laurelin [EN-RP]
    English-speaking server

Belegaer [DE-RP]
    German-speaking server

In addition, the Landroval server is Roleplay-Encouraged. This world is not supported by the roleplaying ruleset, but encourages role playing in a friendly environment. The name is: Landroval [EN-RE]

Roleplaying violations will be enforced only on the Official Roleplay-Supported worlds of Laurelin and Belegaer. Any roleplaying violations reported on other worlds will not be enforced, and the ticket closed without response. Abuse of the reporting system, such as repeatedly submitting incorrect tickets, may result in action against your account, up to and including an account suspension.

Standing Stone Games Official Roleplaying Rules and Policy
    This policy is in addition to the Code of Conduct which applies to all servers

1. Roleplaying Name Policy
    In order to facilitate a more Middle-earth immersive environment, all character names on the Official Roleplay-Supported servers are required to be within the spirit of the world of Middle-earth; inspired by and reflecting the lore of the setting and its people. Names that are homonyms or similar to characters from The Lord of the Rings may not be used, as stated in the naming policy.

Characters names:
    • May not reflect any subject matter that did not exist within The Lord of the Rings lore.
      Examples: Hamburger, Templar, Roman, Computer, Car, Mayan, Peanutbutter, Blitzkreig, Bicycle, Tomatosoup.

• May not be modern non-fantasy names, nick-names, or slang.
      Examples: Bustacap, Bionicman, Robotrampage, Roflcopter, Beefhead, Lololmao, Whyushootme, Foshizzle.

• Should follow the naming conventions provided by the naming guidelines at the Character Creation screen.

We suggest looking towards names within Fantasy and Medieval settings for inspiration. If you are unable to find an appropriate role playing name when creating a character, we suggest using the “Random Name” function.

If a character’s name does not meet the guidelines above, you may report them by going to the Main Menu, then Help, then New Ticket. SSG will then investigate and determine if the name violates the Naming Policy or Roleplaying Name Policy. If the name violates the naming policy, SSG will change their name to a roleplay-appropriate option.

Please note: If a Character Rename is purchased from the LotRO Store on Belegaer, or Laurelin, the new character name must abide by the Roleplay Naming Policy. If the character name does not abide by the Roleplay Policy, the name may be changed, and no refund will be provided for the Character Rename purchase.

2. Roleplaying Chat-Channels Restrictions
    In order to foster a respectful and welcoming environment for role playing, chat restrictions apply to certain chat channels within the Roleplaying Supported servers. Some chat channels are designated “in character,” while others are “out of character.” “In character” means that all chat must abide by the lore of The Lord of the Rings. “Out of character” means that topics outside of the lore of The Lord of the Rings may be discussed.

The following channels must be In Character:
    • Say (the area around you).
    • Regional.
    • Shout / Yell.
    • Emote. Emotes, done by typing “/emote” (without the quotes).

In addition, Player Biographies must be In Character.

The following channels have no restrictions and can be Out of Character:
    • OOC (Out Of Character).
    • World.

These channels should be where all normal out of character discussion takes place, including advice questions about The Lord of the Rings Online.

The following may be In Character, or Out of Character:
    • Kinship. While kinships may choose to be in character, SSG will not take action on out of character chat in kinship chat channels.
    • Player-created chat channels.
    • Private Chat / Tells.
    • Fellowship / Raid.
    • In-Game Mail.
    • Notations or names put on Crafted Items / Legendary Items by the crafter or owner.
    • LFF Notes (through the Social panel).

Examples of in character chat:

The Rangers say that foul Orcs may be found north of Trestlebridge.
    I believe that Michel Delving has the greatest pies ever made in the shire! I’ve taken some with me – does anyone want some? Oh, they’ve all been eaten.
    I am looking for five stout-hearted adventurers to join me in ending Sambrog’s presence within The Great Barrow.

Examples of out of character chat:

I really wish that Christmas break was longer than a week. I still have shopping to do.”
    “We had hotdogs last night after watching the local sports team.”
    “In West Philadelphia born and raised.”

If players see another player using out of character chat in an in character chat channel, players may politely ask them to talk in an appropriate chat channel, such as OOC or World.
    Occasional mistypes or mistakes should not be reported. But if a player is repeatedly talking out of character within in character chat channels, and refuses to move their chat to an appropriate chat channel, you may report them by going to the Main Menu, then Help, then New Ticket.

3. Roleplaying Harassment Policy
    To encourage a friendly and cooperative environment within the Roleplay-supported servers, players should be tolerant of the roleplaying choices of others. Since roleplaying may mean different levels of involvement and immersion to different players, you may not disparage, harass, abuse, or threaten players for their choice of roleplaying. You may not purposefully attempt to grief role play. You may not use role playing as a reason for disparaging, harassing, abusing, or threatening other players for any reason.

If a player is harassing, disparaging, abusing, or threatening other players because they are role playing, please report them by going to the Main Menu, then Help, then New Ticket. SSG will then investigate the situation and take appropriate action.

Repeated violations of the Role Playing Policy may result in:
    • Warnings.
    • A block from the official Roleplay-Supported worlds.
    • Account suspension.
    • Permanent account suspension for repeated or extremely offensive violations.

If you witness a violation of the Roleplaying Policy on a Roleplay-Supported world, please report it using the help system.

To do so:
    1. Press “Escape” to open the Main Menu.
    2. Click on the Help button.
    3. Select “New Ticket” at the bottom of the help window.
    4. Submit a ticket under the correct ticket type.

For Naming Violations, choose Name Violation as a ticket type. For inappropriate chat or harassment, choose Harassment as a ticket type.

Some players may be unable to submit tickets due to account status limitations. In-Game Customer Service is available only to VIP, and Premium players who have purchased points within the last 45 days. Also, please note that SSG In-Game Support, and any discussions with Game Masters or Senior Game Masters within The Lord of the Rings Online, will always be Out of Character.
    Last edited by Erennor; Aug 10 2017 at 07:33 PM.

Could you help me with a question on IC and OOC actions and the character's story, please?
    I'm currently playing for an elf, a Lore-master from Rivendell. It's obvious that killing hundreds of brigands or tomb-raiders unmercifully isn't the right business for an elf. However, may I do that OOC in order to complete deeds or gain XP, if I pretend to be a role-player? And will this be added to my character's story if it's done OOC? Or should I always explain my actions with the character's motivation, and avoid ones my character would never take?
    Thank you in advance!

Hi there Kesha, there are a few ways I guess you could attend to your issue.

Firstly there is the game mechanic which allows you to be in character or out of character by way of the command /rp on and /rp off. When you are /rp on your name appears white to others. Many players if they see you with as "RP odd" will simply attribute you out questing or attending festivals etc in an out of character capacity.

Most consider doing quests and such like as out of character actions in the need to level their character. There are some who take in some quests and areas as in character though as well, they simply come up with an in character reason to be doing what is required. Although slaying 200 brigands in Annuminas is a hard one to justify without some thought. It is very possible to rp through instances as well and it can be very enjoyable/immersive when a storyline is well thought out.

It really comes down to how you feel what best suits your character and their storyline. If you make it believable then when your character recites in character what happened to them then those who are in rp with you will go with your storyline. The problem comes when you get characters who have slain Uruk leaders or banished Balrogs back to the Abyss and who claim to be friends of all the main characters we love in the books.

I am sure every player will have their idea of how best to deal with the concern you raised. At the end of the day do what brings you the most enjoyment.

To be honest, I even thought that killing those brigands affected my character's story badly (that it was spoilt, in fact), though I completed that deed rp-off (I only hope so) , and that I wouldn't be able to role play with that character in the future (Partly because I got the tittle and the deed completition fact). So thank you very much! You've saved my elf

Actually, I think that's an important question: are all the mobs, killed even OOC, added to the character's role-play story? Or can I kill them for my own (not character's) purposes without IC explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Kesha_S View Post
    Actually, I think that's an important question: are all the mobs, killed even OOC, added to the character's role-play story? Or can I kill them for my own (not character's) purposes without IC explanation?
    In the end though it all comes down to what you consider is IC and OOC for your character, there are a lot of roleplayers on the server and many roleplay in many different ways/styles as suits their own play style. For me the key has always been to have RP feel imersive and to value the input of those players I interact with.
    Below is a link to a thread from years ago I made with regards to how I personally have roleplayed. It is very simple for new players to get to grips with and was adopted from a set of roleplay rules the whole of the community used across all guilds in my previous game Ultima Online some 17 years ago. They were originally a concept of ERPA and then CoRE back then.

Click here. It is post number 9 in the thread.

Rather than clutter up Erennor's RP thread feel free to contact me in game (Khalis), or through the Archives and I will be glad to discuss it further.
    Last edited by Khalis_Laurelin; Jul 04 2017 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesha_S View Post
    Could you help me with a question on IC and OOC actions and the character's story, please?
    I'm currently playing for an elf, a Lore-master from Rivendell. It's obvious that killing hundreds of brigands or tomb-raiders unmercifully isn't the right business for an elf. However, may I do that OOC in order to complete deeds or gain XP, if I pretend to be a role-player? And will this be added to my character's story if it's done OOC? Or should I always explain my actions with the character's motivation, and avoid ones my character would never take?
    Thank you in advance!

Hello Kesha.

In brief, yes whatever is considered OOC it is not 'added' in the story of your character. And you do not have to explain the actions of your character when it comes to the game-related tasks. Apart from being unreasonable, if we did so, then we would never progress in the game, due to all the deeds, quests, trading items, and more yet that there is to do in-game.

Another way to think of the differentiation between OOC and IC, and use it in your mind, is to see the game world as having two different dimensions: one is where the world of Middle-earth is 'real' and active - when you are In Character, when you want to role play. That is when you overlook OOC things, such as, -first that now comes to mind- all kinds of nonsense player pets (which you can also ignore in a real way by disabling them in the options), players running about OOC, and so on.

The other dimension is where you play as you, the player, and not as your character. That is when we all simply play the game, as in, doing the quests, the main storyline, the deeds, the festivals, and more.

Keep in mind, that not all quests and not all of the epic story line is considered right away OOC. It depends on how your character can fit in those instances. Some/many parts of the story can be considered IC; not for everyone, but it depends on the character and how its player places that character in those stories.

Had a look through this again: Once again, a great guide for those wanting to understand how RP (and many a mechanic tributary to it) works in LotRO - not to mention the in-depth guide to lore that is very useful for reference even for people not (yet) interested in RP'ing, and can certainly, many times using the exact wording of Tolkien, lead people on the right path, and prevent some common misunderstands, when creating their characters for use in anything Tolkien related. This thread should really be stickied so new players, or those contemplating moving to Laurelin for a more immersive experience, see it more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by EkErilaz View Post
    This thread should really be stickied so new players, or those contemplating moving to Laurelin for a more immersive experience, see it more easily.
    Agreed! It should at least be stickied on the "Player Created Guides" subforum...

I do have the link in the 'Handy Links' section of my Laurelin RP Discord server, so it's easily found
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast