We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by EkErilaz View Post
    I find The Atlas of Middle-Earth is a good resource in this regard.
    Ah thank you for suggesting this. Though I have seen it before, I have not had the spare time for it, and did not know that it has the distances included.

Marvellous

Like all the others .... just marvellous and i hope everyone shares the link on all platforms.
    I would be interested in a pdf version if you can manage and want to.

Greetings!

Thank you for your words. I had not thought of this before, but I am not unwilling for it; though I have to spare some time to read and learn how it is done as I know not. But there are some additions to come first - one of which is almost finished and will be shared soon.

All references for the Guide to the Lore part have now been included in order as the text flows. Some are from the same chapters and these are given once as to not add more length and to avoid repetition. In text citations are not present for an uninterrupted reading and a 'clear' view and presentation of the narrative, for otherwise, most often after every sentence or two, there would be a reference to see. The pages too can be added in the reference list so that those interested (or in doubt) can swiftly find the sources, but that will come after as I have not the books with me these days.

References were noted in the start when the work for this guide begun many months ago, but soon enough I knew that there would be a great many of them and so they were left aside in an effort to not add more length as in most parts every line or two (or even words and phrases in some points) is a different reference. Moreover I was trying for this guide be published ere the announcement of the remaining worlds and so I thought to save time by leaving the references behind. Nonetheless, I went back and have spent some further hours tracing all of them. They have been included below the ending of the writings about the lore, but I will try for them to be entered in a new post after the one regarding the Elves so that they are separate and make not the text seem longer.
    Last edited by Erennor; Sep 18 2015 at 05:53 PM.

You touched on one of my favorite tips (which I don't see used often enough) - using the Biography tab (which other players can view) to describe what an observer could perceive rather than personal history, which is worth working out, but best revealed through in-character exchange.

A commendable job of drawing together information supplied across many works and consolidating for someone new to the setting - recommending this thread for a sticky. Well done.

My thanks Aestivan.

Also, on a somewhat different note, I see that the thread has been now given some acknowledgement, and I want to say that I value it much; for though I do not seek praise for myself, and this guide came to be out of love and appreciation and care for Middle-earth, and role play, and the server, it warms the heart to see that people have rated this thread and so well.

Many thanks.

And the additions that were listed some posts ago will come. I merely have not had the spare time to finish them, but they will be soon added.
    Last edited by Erennor; Oct 09 2015 at 11:53 PM.

Wonderful...

Erennor, you have by far exceeded yourself yet again! I am so impressed with the detail, the depth, the simplicity and the ease with which you have compiled something so useful to all, new and old. I second all the comments previous to mine in their admiration for this achievement.

Well done my friend.

Adharra.

Many thanks for your courteous words kindly lady! I value them, and very glad I am to see you again in-game Adharra after so long. *bows head in thanks and kindness*

This a Really good RP/Lore guide thanks for it, you done a great job!
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

I thank you indeed Pontin of the Shire-folk : )

Great and Helpful Guide!

This guide has really helped me in my role-playing ability and knowledge. I commend you for this creation and I hope that it helps both new and old role-players. 10/10.

Greetings!

I am glad Aegadorn, and thank you for your words : )

Now, I have spent some further hours for the guide. I re-read again parts of the guide to role play and immersion, and I have shortened a few as it seemed to me that perhaps a little more was written than was needed, and in an on-going effort to keep the guide as short as possible, clear in reading, and to the point. Apart from that, there are some additions!

For the Guide to Role Play:
    • A quick mention of how to sit on a chair or stool (as newcomers to LotRO may not know)
    • The additional set of rules and policies of our server
    • Babble plugin
    For the Guide to the Lore:
    Hobbits
    • Shire Calendar (names they have for months and weekdays)
      ~ from LotR, Appendix D, The Calendars
    Dwarves
    • For buying and selling and exchange are their delight, and the winning of wealth thereby; and this they gather rather to hoard than to use, save in further trading.
      [...] and in the making of byrnies and of hauberks none among Elves or Men have proved their equals.

~ from the History of Middle Earth, The War of the Jewels, Concerning the Dwarves
    Elves (under the Eldar)
    • They are tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks are often dark.
      ~ from LotR, Appendix F, On Translation

As ever, any suggestions feel free to share.
    Last edited by Erennor; Oct 15 2015 at 11:48 PM.

Very Nice Guide

Erennor, thank you for the well put together guide, you've obviously put in a lot of work. However, I would point out one item that I take exception to:

Quote Originally Posted by Erennor
    We know that in older days women did not wear trousers, and LotRO has a rich variety of dresses and robes.
    While I do agree with the basic statement, Middle Earth as described by Tolkien and portrayed in LOTRO is not really our historical "older days." In our older days, women typically stayed home birthing babies while the men went off to war. And, in fact, as Tolkien related the story, there were very few "Shield Maidens" as evidenced by Prince Imrahil's amazement at seeing Eowyn being borne from the fields of Pelennor along with Théoden. "Surely, here is a woman?" he said. "Have even the women of the Rohirrim come to war in our need?"

LOTRO, as a game, evens the playing field and allows for either sex to fill the roles of warriors (Wardens, Guardians, Champions and Captains), archers (Hunters), minstrels and mages (Minstrels, Lore Masters and Rune Keepers). It is unrealistic to think that a Warden, who happens to be female, would lead the sons of Elrond to unlock the gates of Pelargir for Aragorn's army of the dead wearing the dress she might otherwise dance in to a merry tune at the Green Dragon in Bywater. No, she would dress much the same as one would expect to see a male dressed when preparing for battle.

Referring again to our only Shield Maiden as told by Tolkien in The Passing of the Grey Company. "His (Aragorn's) company was all mounted, and he was about to leap into the saddle, when the Lady Eowyn came to bid them farewell. She was clad as a Rider and girt with a sword."

And thus, Tolkien himself acknowledges that the women of Middle Earth would wear clothing and or armor appropriate to their task, as would the men.

Hello Rubysue and thank you for your words.

Perhaps it is not written clear enough, but that is meant to refer to the every day simple way of dressing and not to an event that might lead a woman to take up sword and clad herself in armour, and, alas, go abroad leaving home and children behind. But the professor did write about this in his letters saying that his creation, Middle-earth, is our own world but set far back in time.

Middle-earth, by the way, is not a name of a never-never land without relation to the world we live in .... And though I have not attempted to relate the shape of the mountains and land-masses to what geologists may say or surmise about the nearer past, imaginatively this 'history' is supposed to take place in a period of the actual Old World of this planet.
    ~ Letter 165

I am historically minded. Middle-earth is not an imaginary world. ... The theatre of my tale is this earth, the one in which we now live, but the historical period is imaginary. The essentials of that abiding place are all there (at any rate for inhabitants of N.W. Europe), so naturally it feels familiar, even if a little glorified by the enchantment of distance in time.
    ~ Letter 183

I have, I suppose, constructed an imaginary time, but kept my feet on my own mother-earth for place. I prefer that to the contemporary mode of seeking remote globes in 'space'. However curious, they are alien, and not lovable with the love of blood-kin. Middle-earth is ... not my own invention. It is a modernization or alteration ... of an old word for the inhabited world of Men, the oikoumene: middle because thought of vaguely as set amidst the encircling Seas and (in the northern-imagination) between ice of the North and the fire of the South. O. English middan-geard, mediaeval E. midden-erd, middle-erd. Many reviewers seem to assume that Middle-earth is another planet!
    ~ Letter 211

I imagine the gap to be about 6000 years: that is we are now at the end of the Fifth Age, if the Ages were of about the same length as S.A. and T.A. But they have, I think, quickened; and I imagine we are actually at the end of the Sixth Age, or in the Seventh.
    ~ Letter 211

I have not made any of the peoples on the 'right' side, Hobbits, Rohirrim, Men of Dale or of Gondor, any better than men have been or are, or can be. Mine is not an 'imaginary'' world, but an imaginary historical moment on 'Middle-earth' - which is our habitation.
    ~ Letter 183

As for Eowyn, it is good to bear in mind that she was clad so, as a rider, also (if not only) to disguise herself; for in Middle-earth it was unlawful for one to leave his appointed post, and Eowyn under King Theoden's bidding she was to stay behind. There are other references too throughout the books that show this, the importance of following orders and the severity of disobeying them. For example we get a glimpse of this in the Wanderings of Hurin through the words of Manthor about Dorlas leaving his post in the marches to run ahead and speak ill about Hurin to the Halad, and also in RotK where we read that it is a law in the City (Minas Tirith) that the Guards of the Citadel must not leave their post for whatever cause unless Lord Denethor himself, or a Captain gives them leave.

But you touch upon another matter that is often not understood fully-not only by newcomers to role play but by role players too sometimes. The class (among other things) is more of game mechanic, it is not perforce the role of our characters. Merely because one has a guardian hobbit-lass, it meas not that the character has that role from a role play perspective. And I too when I was not learned much about role play did not at first realize this in full.

And to return to the main topic, indeed as you say, when necessity calls for it then it is reasonable that they would clad themselves so (though first they would have to find/acquire the armor).

Erennor, thank you for the quick response and clarification of your intent. I wanted to underscore my belief that it is important, from an RP perspective, to dress appropriately for the moment at hand and I'm pleased that you agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Erennor View Post
    Hello Rubysue and thank you for your words.

Perhaps it is not written clear enough, but that is meant to refer to the every day simple way of dressing and not to an event that might lead a woman to take up sword and clad herself in armour, and, alas, go abroad leaving home and children behind. But the professor did write about this in his letters saying that his creation, Middle-earth, is our own world but set far back in time.

{Letter citations deleted for brevity.}

And to return to the main topic, indeed as you say, when necessity calls for it then it is reasonable that they would clad themselves so (though first they would have to find/acquire the armor).
    For those reading, please understand that I am merely picking nits here and it really is just one reader of Tolkien bantering with another rather than anything important to RP. My apologies for the slight diversion off topic:
    As for Eowyn, it is good to bear in mind that she was clad so, as a rider, also (if not only) to disguise herself;

While Eowyn did indeed wear the armor of a rider to disguise herself as she rode with Théoden's host to Minas Tirith, she was not disguising herself when meeting Aragorn in Dunharrow, but had instead readied herself to ride along with his company if he would allow it.

Back on the topic of RP:

But you touch upon another matter that is often not understood fully-not only by newcomers to role play but by role players too sometimes. The class (among other things) is more of game mechanic, it is not perforce the role of our characters. Merely because one has a guardian hobbit-lass, it meas not that the character has that role from a role play perspective. And I too when I was not learned much about role play did not at first realize this in full.
    This is an excellent point and I felt well worth underscoring. As an example, my character Rubysue is a hobbit. In the game she is a Warden, but aside from a few Bounders, hobbits don't have armies or soldiers. Little Rubysue is a woodworker whose wanderings in search of good quality lumber have brought her into contact with people that most decent hobbit folk would most certainly disapprove of. And, because of her helpful if somewhat gullible nature, she has been drawn deeper and deeper into the troubles of the outside world. (This progress basically follows the epic quest line.) With time she has become more and more what one would call an "adventurer" but this is only known to a select few good friends in the Shire, and being a "Warden" never comes up. While in the Shire, she retains the daily persona of a woodworker and she would normally be dressed appropriately for the occasion. (i.e. no weapons displayed, and wearing a dress, pretty tunic, or perhaps craftsman's robe.)

After reading this guide two times (took a while) I have came to the conclusion that it is filled with a wide variety of tools and knowledge, some of which essential for every (aspiring) Roleplayers. All I could add, for the most part, would merely be details and small things that don't add much to the guide as a whole. (The hobbitry-in-ams, Lotro's setup of Rohan's hierarchy, things about the Hillmen.)

Yet, I find that there are two pieces missing in this guide, either by lack of information about the subject or it being simply overlooked (Or another reason that I do not suspect).

1st - About the dwarves.

There are seven kindreds of dwarves, three in the West, four in the East. For the sack of the guide, there doesn't have to be many words about this, yet it might be wise to say that most interaction in the game is with the Longbeards, who have the Lordship over Erebor and Thorin's hall, and most of the other dwarven outposts around the game. Roleplayers can find it interesting to play as a member of Durin's folk (as the Longbeards are also called, as Durin was their first ancestor) or to play as a member of another kindred. One of the other Western clans (Broadbeams/Firebeards) or as one of the Eastern kindreds (Ironfists/Stiffbeards/Blacklocks/Stonefoots). People often just throw all the dwarves in a pile, yet like a man from Gondor not being a man from Rohan, players can add variety to their dwarf.

2nd - About the Northmen

No word about the Northmen besides the Rohirrim? What about the Bardings, the Woodsmen and the Beornings?

A paragraph could (and I my opinion would be a welcome addition) be added that details them a bit. The cities of Dale and Lake-town, and its people, are important enough in the North to have some words dedicated to it. As well as the Beornings, as turbine has made them a people now playable, might be worthy of some attention. There is a camp of Woodsmen in the Rushgore in game as well, the details Turbines interpretation of them.

On the whole, this guide is the best one out there yet I found the lack of love for the Northmen something to note, as they can be a fun thing for people to Roleplay.

8.5/10 in its current form.

Hadobald.

PS: I didn't really wanted to nitpick and this guide truly is wonderful, and the two points that I made are really the only things that I could think of that could be handy to add without going into the Nirnaeth Arnoediad or any other obscure fact that isn't the first priority.
    We live with valour, we fight with honour and we will die glorious

Indeed Rubysue. Well remembered : )

Hadobald, thank you for reading it, and for the suggestions.

I agree about the mention of the seven different clans of the dwarf-folk. It came to my mind at one point, yet it was after overlooked in the long process of the making of this guide. But while we are given the names of each, aside from the Longbeards, the Broadbeams, and the Firebeards, there is next to nothing as far as I know and have read about the other four (the Blacklocks, Stonefoots, Ironfists, and the Stiffbeards) other than that they communicated with their dwarf brothers during times of war, and that they woke/were in the East-in unavailable places in LotRO. The groups of the other races (such as the different branches of the Elves, and the three somewhat different breeds of hobbits) were included in the guide as they have some things written concerning them other than their names only. But yes, a mention of the different kindreds is good to give indeed so I will add that.

As for the Woodsmen, Bardings, and the Beornings, though indeed there is some information about these people and they were in my thought in the beginning, they were not included on purpose, but not out of little love for them, for when it comes to Middle-earth role play my heart leans more with the Younger Race.

But they are not present here because their homes are not in-game yet, and also, to not add more length to the guide; as much effort and time has gone into keeping it somewhat short (so that newcomers to the lore get not discouraged) and to the point. And so, to not lengthen the text more and as it is more reasonable, priority was given to the peoples and their homelands that are existent in the World. Nonetheless, when/if Turbine adds these places and people, then the related information will be included, though in truth I find it a shame that they may not have a drawing to complement them as a forum post allows only up to five pictures (unless Turbine increases that in days ahead).

And as for the hobbitry-in-arms, that has not been added here as it bears no importance or usefulness at this time frame that we play in, for their existence was a mere relic of times long ago, and Gandalf tells us supporting this further, that 'swords in these parts are mostly blunt, and axes are used for trees, and shields as cradles or dish covers'. We see this also in LotR (in the prologue if I recall aright), that any weapons left in the Shire were most commonly used as trophies, hanging above hearths or on walls, or gathered into the Mathom-house.
    Last edited by Erennor; Oct 24 2015 at 12:18 AM.

Greetings!

Some new small additions:

For the Guide to Immersion
    Player Interface
    • Mention of how to hide all the user interface elements
    For the Guide to the Lore:
    Hobbits
    • Hobbits have rather short memories as a rule
    • 'Trying to pull the fur off our toes.'(a hobbit idiom - meaning 'to give a fright')
      ~ From the History of Middle-earth, the second version of A Long-expected Party
    Dwarves
    • Dwarves are divided into seven clans: Longbeards, Firebeards and Broadbeams, Ironfists and Stiffbeards, Blacklocks and Stonefoots. The first three are the most westerly (Blue Mountains). The last four woke and dwell in the East, and naught is said of them other than that they communicated with their dwarf brothers in times of war. But in times of great need even the most distant will send help to any of their people.
      ~ From the History of Middle-earth, The Peoples of Middle-earth, 'Of Dwarves and Men'

[It is fascinating how much Tolkien has written concerning Hobbits. They seem to come second close after the Elves, if we leave aside the race of Men due to all its many different groups, and in some cases, sub groups too. Though of course, most/a lot of this type of information is scattered throughout the different writings, and more than a few times easy to overlook perhaps -unless you are actively searching for these kind of bits of insights- as these are very brief mentions of few words such as the above for example.]

The Complete Guide to Role Play

Having found reading this in-depth guide a pleasurable experience. I can't reinforce more-so how accurate this guide truly is, and how helpful this is to new players as well as old!

To anyone of whom indeed finds respite and pleasure out of immersing themselves within Lord of the Rings Online roleplay. - This is a must read. It will tell you everything you need to know so that you can start with a good sense of know-how and confidence.

I for one have played on and off within the Laurelin Server on The Lord of the Rings Online for around seven years now and have got to know a large portion of the community well. It is varied in interests but /always/ passionate. You can see yet another example of this passion here right before your eyes within this Guide. No where else have I seen such dedication set into helping and welcoming new players into the fold, into the community. The community is most kind, friendly. And above all helpful and selfless on a majority front. If you enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy or any of the writings of Tolkien and have been curious to see what it would be like to be put into a position where you can interact with characters based from such works of Fiction. Then look no further then the Laurelin Server and become a part of its community. There is nothing quite like it. I have roleplayed personally on various MMORPG's and various forums and have never met a Community so creative and passionate. I feel like I must repeat myself on the passion front for I fear that such cannot be articulated properly with but one statement. It is a marvel, one of which demands nothing but total admiration.

I for one thank you Erennor for putting the time and effort into this. He has done a lot for the server and has hosted many a grand reading event nearly every Thursday; showcasing nothing less than pure joy in sharing his enthusiasm with like minded individuals.

I for one look forward to meeting you and welcoming you into the community should you choose to become part it.

May you wits keep sharp while facing adversity.

Thank you for reading it, and for your thoughtful and courteous words. I do value them.

And indeed like you have said Acaeleus, to all those who simply love the setting and value the story of the World, I too cannot recommend enough to come here. As a player once said coming from another server, the story is alive here, and there is far more emphasis and support on culture and immersion and the lore rather than just the mmo part. The community is very strong and passionate. I remember when I first came about four years ago, it was such a refreshment and a unique experience compared to other servers. And this I do not say in scorn of the other worlds, but in understanding and appreciation. There is much love and care and appreciation and by so many on this server about the Middle-earth setting and this is shown though various ways such as in art, in music and song, in writing, in role play, in player events and kinships, and even in an every day simple manner through mature and pleasant talks and conversations about the lore and the immersion in the game, and in more ways yet such as other projects and designs. And measureless is the reach and depth of history of this server and filled with many great moments and stories that have come to pass over the flowing years.

Truly a jewel and a marvel LotRO has to offer.

What a masterfully crafted guide, Erennor! The value of this resource is incalculable. It is a must-read (and an enjoyable read!) for anyone interested in role play, veterans and newcomers alike. I had the great pleasure of reading some of your drafts as you created this guide last year. At that time, I had recently begun playing on Laurelin (after five or six years on Nimrodel) and I was eager to begin roleplaying. Despite being a lifelong Tolkien enthusiast and a LotRO veteran, I did not know where to start. Your guide opened the world of roleplaying for me; it shed light on the basics and subtleties of role play with remarkable thoroughness even in its earliest stages. This final version is nothing short of a monumental contribution to Laurelin and the larger LotRO community. I do not doubt it has engaged and inspired many others like myself, and I am sure it will continue to do so. We cannot thank you enough.

Many thanks Apatite! Truly. I read your words ere I left for work and made my day even more pleasant. Apart from the community and the never-fading greatness of the books and the lasting wonder of seeing this mythical world recreated visually in such a way, in an mmorpg, and all the great role players that enact in it with their characters and so make it even more believable, it is such words that make these LotRO/Tolkien/Laurelin projects all the more worthwhile. I am very glad it has helped and inspired you too, and that you have shared your thoughts.

And in my turn, as more than a few times before, I give again my thanks to the community. Though as with all things, it has its flaws, and times of sadness and much discord, alas, there are in its long and very rich and immersive history, had we not this passionate, enormously dedicated, and highly skilled, Middle-earth community, both rp and not, with the shared care for the setting and its immersion, and the lore, I think I would simply not feel the urge to spend the time and bring forth such wide and long in the making projects, regardless of my deep appreciation for Tolkien's legendary Middle-earth. I have been I think near to six years now in LotRO (including other worlds), but this beloved server gave much more purpose (as it has done with others too), support, and rekindled the fire of enthusiasm for this setting. And that has not burned low, even after more than four years.

Greetings Erennor,

A few years ago I decided to return (after a few years of absence after F2P was launched) to the Lord of the Rings: Online with the intention to pick up and learn Roleplaying after playing MMO's purely on a PvE basis for many years.
    I decided to start with a Hobbit on Laurelin as it seemed like the least extensive form of RP at the time which resulted in my character Speckles Tookburrow. Despite my, sometimes, long absences from in-game I was welcomed into the community with open arms and I have been enjoying RP with the Shire Folk for quite some time now. They even gave me to opportunity to work on amazing projects like the in-character newspapers the Bramblebury Gazette and the Tablets of Khazadgund.

But now I have decided to start with a new character, a Silvan Elf, and dive deeper into the lore and storylines behind the Elves of Middle Earth. But since the difference between the amounts of lore behind the Hobbits and Elves is quite enormous, I had no idea where to start. With your guide at hand I have taken the first steps on the path of Elven roleplay. That being said, I tip my hat to you for taking the time and effort to write this guide.

I hope you will continue working on this guide (which has become quite the project I must say). I've read the whole guide once thusfar but will continue to return and reread while developing a background story for my new character.
    ?-?-? Khimir Oakenbraids of Durin's Folk ?-?-?

I remember you Speckles : ) and your very nice creative, and contributory to the community works. If I remember well, I think you were new to the server at the time when we spoke together for a while long ago. I am glad you are still with us in LotRO and on Laurelin.

And I will continue working on the guide. I have re-read it over the past weeks looking for any unclear points, and ways to shorten some sentences here and there. This I have done and will keep re-reading it, and editing a few points as LotRO changes or introduces new related things (for example: the new emote panel; I will include a mention of that). Also, I plan on making a video of the guide with voice narration. I am not certain yet for the role play and the immersion parts, but certainly for the lore sections. Those now reading, if you have any suggestions or thoughts to share about this, feel free to tell me. Here, or send me a message in-game (or on the forums). But feel no need to hurry. This will not come for a while yet as I am deep in work with another long in the making project (and also with a new essay about role play).

Thank you Speckles, and there are some more notes I have for coming additions.

Errenor your awesome. glad to say when i first joined lotro a good while ago i used this guide as a reference and since then ive become quite respected in laurelins rp community. and it is because of this great guide. thanks so much!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast