We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Elf and Man Avatar Model Revamp Feedback

Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you to whoever took note of our previous feedback and passed it along, because you're a gem. The little tweaks that have been made, along with the addition of the "classic" style faces, really add a lot more diversity to the models, that were bordering on looking all too alike.

As someone who plays Human females the majority of the time, having the colour restored to the eye options has made a world of difference. The fact that you can choose the degree of the colour, ranging from heavily shaded, faintly shadowed, or neutral, is the icing on the cake. Overall, the models all look more polished, and still remain true to their original design.

However, after taking a look at the Elves and their options, it seems the same love has not been extended to them when it comes to restoring colour to their faces. The four eye options currently available for both male and female are all very much the same. The difference they make is so minimal as to be not worth considering a choice.

Whether it's something that's still being worked on and due to be rolled out soon, or an oversight that hasn't been noted, I thought it might be worth posting the comparision shots up here to bring the issue to light.

Post Feedback model Revamp : Elf and Man Avatar

First of all I want to thank SSG for its immense work done with mordor and for this update, even if for a long time I do not play at LOTRO I'm always well informed (I think) about what happens at stake.This update 22 is decidedly immense ... there are many more things than in the patch notes there are not written as the revamp of the models of elves and humans that is going to improve.

A more modern and more elegant intro screen than ever before

But before talking about the models of the characters I would like to point out to all those who are not in beta what is happening ... as already mentioned in the patch notes we are going to get a new character selection screen new and more modern here is the difference between live and beta.

Live

Beta

It can be noted that also the background for each race and changed (Except Hobbit still have the background that is in live).

but as has been said by Freyda, we're going to get faces that are inspired by old models, but not only ... in addition to those existing in live (Improved in some details) Elves and male and female humans will have more heads than we have now ... here is an example for the race of men (male):

Here is a tangible example of how the elves and human faces have improved here an example of the "1" face of the female elf, notice how the difference between live and beta and tangible, in a positive sense the beta version and much better, here c 'and just an example but to see them all it takes a lot of time and analysis what I could not do.

Analysis and corrections to be made

all in all, this update 22 brings an absolutely remarkable improvement on the models of the characters, once again SSG proves to listen to the screaming groans and shouts the desperation of your poor users on the forum, the new character screen and the beautiful style of the UI and definitely better than before.

P.S: It would be nice to have that same screen for the rest of the windows in the game would make everything cooler and more modern but ... this is just my thought ... maybe you're already doing it? or maybe not ... it's still the first beta there's that many things are not yet done (although it seems already a bit of a much cleaner update and a state of "Finito" compared to the old updates shown).

But back you have models ... even if we are getting new faces ... and the existing ones have been improved, the hair for me must be fixed again ... Freyda showed in the picture one of the elf's new hairstyles and is still in that state of "unfinished" left in half, as indeed some hairstyles that do not have the updated Texture ... but it's not just that, in itself the new hairstyles are almost completely a retexture of the old ones, so SSG if have you listened to us for the faces ... can you do quaclose even for your hair? the hairstyles of the tall elves are so beautiful and many have the part of the hair so realistic and uncut that looks like a helmet of banae or a LEGO character, you want to overse some superficial detail ... a strand of hair here and there to give the feeling of volume and not of flat ... in short, more realistic and less "fake".

(for if he is asking for it I did not talk about the revamp of the models of the dwarves that is selling with the 22 because there are only the faces apparently in the game but ... the hair has not been inserted yet, and at present it is not seen very much the difference ... it would not be bad to have even for the dwarves a greater choice of faces at this point as you did for Elves and humans ... in such a way that there is more personalization.

On the Hobbits ... it seems that they will come later after 22 but I'm already starting to say that ... I would like if the phenotype of the objections were slightly modified for males and females ... the males especially have pisccole and narrow arms and legs huge and a little strange ... but this is only my thought).
    My First Class on Lord of the Rings Online:

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix43 View Post

Beta

This interface looks very clean and inviting.

Is there a way the characters panel can be "dragged" downwards with mouse cursor in order to expand it vertically, so it can display more than 5 character names at once?

+ It would really be great if players could "drag-and-drop" character name plates to customize the order of alts as they appear on the menu : most-to-least played, for example, or by level, or simply a custom arrangement. That way players could keep their mains on first page, even if they've multiple alts earlier in alphabet.
    Éala Éarendel engla beorhtast / ofer middangeard monnum sended / and sodfasta sunnan leoma, / tohrt ofer tunglas þu tida gehvane / of sylfum þe symle inlihtes.

Quote Originally Posted by Herwegur View Post
    This interface looks very clean and inviting.

Is there a way the characters panel can be "dragged" downwards with mouse cursor in order to expand it vertically, so it can display more than 5 character names at once?

+ It would really be great if players could "drag-and-drop" character name plates to customize the order of alts as they appear on the menu : most-to-least played, for example, or by level, or simply a custom arrangement. That way players could keep their mains on first page, even if they've multiple alts earlier in alphabet.
    More than anything else I would take advantage to make a request ... and can you insert a "favorite characters" function? so that the characters you use the most can be displayed on the first page? or a way to personalize the order of the characters created in the list ... it would be very nice.

I enjoyed the update before, but I have to say I'm enjoying the new avatars even more after this update. The polishing and extra head options are all really nice looking I think, and it's a much welcome addition that will please many of the people who were not pleased before. The face options for Men don't all appear to be only angry anymore, which is nice as, even though I liked them before, I did feel that they were all too similar looking and now I don't believe it to be the case. I never play as female characters, but I did check the models before and after and find the new women to be MUCH better than before. Less derpy looking, and some more mature looking facial options are great. Female elves seem to look nice and have a better variety now too.

I didn't change much with my normal elf male as I liked his new face with the last update, but I can tell that he overall just looks better now. Having the option to put a little bit of color around the eyes isn't something I personally miss too much, though it would be nice to see that added back for those who like that choice. It does add some uniqueness. I kind of have to say now that I enjoy everything about my high elf, but I almost kind of prefer the look of the normal elves after this update. They have more face choices, their hair fits their head better, and they seem to have overall better long hair choices available. The heads for normal elves also seem to blend in with the neck much better, and they overall just look more polished now. I know on the stream Cord had mentioned that some of the clipping on high elf hairstyles would get worked on later. When that work is being done, it would also be really great to have more face choices added, maybe some more polishing and other long hair options if possible with the clipping with their heads is fixed. Just a thought since high elf is a premium race, and this extra avatar work seems to be really good.

As a final note, all the new backgrounds look great, I really like the movement by the NPCs in the background. Character creation/selection looks vastly improved, and will definitely give a better image of the game to people who are trying it for the first time I think. We only see a hint of the update for the dwarves but I also like what's there for now. Looking forward to seeing what is brought to the table with them and the hobbits.

I'm noticing an odd issue with the Human Male faces, where the forehead is a noticably different colour from the rest of the face. There's a line seperating the two along the brow that seems to only be affecting heads 1 through to 11.

I say the same things I said in this post:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...Avatars/page31

The faces are ok now, all that the SSG should now focus on is:

- IDLE poses of elves and humans: let the elves have a pose different from the High elves males and do not make the same IDLE poses the same for all 2 races ... do as for elf and High elves female who have an IDLE different poses each.

For the IDLE pose of the human female please return what was in the mordor ... it was very beautiful and more feminine, to please everyone make sure that it is less straight and does not hang on one side,the human still have the old IDLE poses before the update 21 and found it always horrible and not very feminine, this is perfect instead...please put it back but improve it.

-Hair and beards: The hair in general has a cut or unfinished appearance that in some cases gives a strange effect to the final part of the hair ... I would like you to add more details and fix the hair well because they are just a network of the old hairstyles, put more love like you did for High Elves, do something similar like in beta 3,and less LEGO banana helmet, as seen in this image:

but above all the beards ... the barbs please make the most realistic fakes and not a copy and in glue of the old models ... just as they are give a look that jars with the new texture ... do something like this as it was in beta 1 (hidden detail):

These are my considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyda View Post
    Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you to whoever took note of our previous feedback and passed it along, because you're a gem. The little tweaks that have been made, along with the addition of the "classic" style faces, really add a lot more diversity to the models, that were bordering on looking all too alike.

As someone who plays Human females the majority of the time, having the colour restored to the eye options has made a world of difference. The fact that you can choose the degree of the colour, ranging from heavily shaded, faintly shadowed, or neutral, is the icing on the cake. Overall, the models all look more polished, and still remain true to their original design.

However, after taking a look at the Elves and their options, it seems the same love has not been extended to them when it comes to restoring colour to their faces. The four eye options currently available for both male and female are all very much the same. The difference they make is so minimal as to be not worth considering a choice.

Whether it's something that's still being worked on and due to be rolled out soon, or an oversight that hasn't been noted, I thought it might be worth posting the comparision shots up here to bring the issue to light.
    Dumb question, but is Avatar Texture Composition turned on? This is the setting that enables make-up, scars and textures beyond the base skin colour on avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post
    Dumb question, but is Avatar Texture Composition turned on? This is the setting that enables make-up, scars and textures beyond the base skin colour on avatars.
    Not dumb at all, always a good place to start. Avatar Texture Composition is indeed on. Human females are working fine and dandy, colour and texture wise, but Elves have some colour loss when compared to the models on Live. It's an issue that's cropped up before in the past, but has been ironed out for the human models with this revamp.

Speaking of the Avatar Texture Compositing option, this is a bug that has existed since 21.2, where female elves have had noticeably duller and less colorful faces with it turned on, but... with it turned off, they get a completely different face. The eyes go green, and the texture is that of, I think, a human male. Look at those eyebrows, those don't exist for elves, not even male ones.

I recommend looking at every race and gender and switching the Avatar Texture Compositing option on and off.

Also, with regard to the dulling of elves faces. Female elves used to have options for much brighter colored eye "makeup" and lips. Those colors are much lighter and duller now. Here's an older picture, with the middle one being what we have now and the right image being this "hack" that we could use to trick the faces into having the older texture.

Maybe the line of thinking is to make elves look less like they're wearing makeup or such, but as others have said, the options we have now are barely distinguishable from one another. While these super zoomed-in shots might look a bit "makeup-y", when viewed from a normal distance they go a long way in differentiating faces and give elves a bit of a "mystical" look, something which has also been dulled since the new heads have been given more human-looking eye shapes. So please, let's have those colors back. There are currently only 4 options, which isn't much to choose from. Maybe double that, like what was done for the heads, and add some more vibrant colors.

Also, man, I miss the old hairstyle in that image on the left. It was a fun short hairstyle with bits of hair in your face. The newer version is longer and and flatter and missing those details. An okay hairstyle on its own, but not really the same look.
    Last edited by ZoneTripper; Feb 13 2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneTripper View Post
    Maybe the line of thinking is to make elves look less like they're wearing makeup or such, but as others have said, the options we have now are barely distinguishable from one another. While these super zoomed-in shots might look a bit "makeup-y", when viewed from a normal distance they go a long way in differentiating faces and give elves a bit of a "mystical" look, something which has also been dulled since the new heads have been given more human-looking eye shapes. So please, let's have those colors back. There are currently only 4 options, which isn't mush to choose from. Maybe double that, like what was done for the heads, and add some more vibrant colors.
    I agree with this, and for male elves too. This is what I wanted to explain, but couldn't, when I was asking for my male elf to get his red lips back, and more colours around the eyes

Please SSG, give both male and female elves the same beautiful options!
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

SSG, you still have male human face textures on female elves with the Avatar Texture Compositing option turned off. Plus the whole green eye thing. The whole thing is just off.

Female elves.

Human male face textures.

Please address this glaring bug.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoneTripper View Post
    SSG, you still have male human face textures on female elves with the Avatar Texture Compositing option turned off. Plus the whole green eye thing. The whole thing is just off.

Female elves.

Human male face textures.

Please address this glaring bug.

No darling those eyebrows are new is not a bug I think ... tested today in beta eyebrows are clearly better than those of now live but do not worry if you are bothered there are other types of eyebrows to choose from, then I noticed that in beta have added new details on the elfe (on human perhaps also) to give it a make up effect as in the old models.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyda View Post
    I'm noticing an odd issue with the Human Male faces, where the forehead is a noticably different colour from the rest of the face. There's a line seperating the two along the brow that seems to only be affecting heads 1 through to 11.

This is still an issue in this build, unfortunately. Most noticable on heads 4 - 10 of the Men (but present in varying degrees on heads 1 - 11).

As someone who doesn't play male characters, I don't have a horse in this race, but I can imagine it'd be an annoying visual to look at on your own character. It's quite noticable:

Secondly, something I've noticed is that the newly added heads do not match up correctly with the original old avatar appearance that they're supposed to be based upon. They're off by one place.

I can use Female Elves as an example, thanks to the wonderful work Silmelin put in to compiling all the faces together with their corresponding orignal appearance.

You can clearly see that the original appearance matches the previous head:

- The newly added head 11 should be paired with the non-updated head 12.
    - The newly added head 12 should be paired with the non-updated head 13.
    - Etc.

This is an issue for Humans and Elves, Male and Female, and is fixed by moving the values across so they pair correctly.