We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What questions do you have about the Lorebook?

Let's try to round them up into one easy to digest post.

I'll start with a few...

Will everyone with a forum account be able to edit pages?

Will there be a hierarchy of editor privilege levels?

Will any information be restricted from the wiki? i.e. Will you allow people to upload small screen captures of where a particular NPC is located?

Any chance that I can pick a different "skin"?
    Stip - Minstrel on Windfola, Officer of The Evolution of Light
    LOTRO Quest/Crafting Database and Wiki. Easy to read quest writeups with screenshots:
    [url]http://lotro.wikia.com[/url]

Re: What questions do you have about the Lorebook?

What license are you using for user contributions?

Let's see here:

Will everyone with a forum account be able to edit pages?

Yes, everyone with an active forum account (and therefore a valid game subscription) will eventually be able to edit pages. Note that the same posting policies that apply to the LOTRO forums will apply to the Lorebook - you'll be able to "Report this Article" if you see something objectionable.

Will there be a hierarchy of editor privilege levels?

We're still thinking about this, but probably not. If we do add some kind of editor program, editors will likely only get a few extra privileges (such as the ability to lock pages).

Will any information be restricted from the wiki? i.e. Will you allow people to upload small screen captures of where a particular NPC is located?

In general, we're fine with any game-related content you want to put up. If you want to add images, detailed guides, spoilers, etc., that should be fine (it's even encouraged!)

Of course, with a project like this we can't anticipate every type of content that may go up, so we'll always reserve the right to edit/lock content if it becomes a problem.

Probably not anytime in the near future. I've seen at least one post on readability issues though, and we will take that (and any other comments on the skin) into account.

What license are you using for user contributions?

I'll check with our legal department about this.
    Owlbear
    Web Producer
    ROAR HOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Owlbear View Post

Probably not anytime in the near future. I've seen at least one post on readability issues though, and we will take that (and any other comments on the skin) into account.
    Please do; the current skin makes tons of space completely wasted on a widescreen monitor. See here for an example. The skin should be made to gracefully expand to whatever the resolution of the browser window is.

I'm usually a fan of liquid layouts that take up the screen space, however, that can often be at odds with ensuring that the wide variety of content in pages is consistenly presented.

If we make the layout fit the viewport, then editors can often create a page that looks nice in the size of browser that they use but looks terrible in other widths.

By constraining the width, we can better ensure that information looks the same for everyone and in every context such as web browsers and in-game interfaces.

I'm not saying we're not considering it. I just wanted to point out that it's not only about using up the available space.

I believe the fixed width was a very smart move, Alywyne. Even though a lot of my screen goes 'wasted' at 1600x900 resolution, but it looks even worse when everything is stretched out.

Now for my question:

Will we be able to access the Lorebook from inside the game? I've had frequent problems when trying to minimize my game and look up some information on the internet.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." -J.R.R. Tolkien

Managing Editor for The Lord of the Rings Online Stratics

I have a question:

Why we can't see how much item gives a stat bonus? All I could see when I checked crafted items was armor value. Is it be cause its Beta or you only plan to display Armor Value on equipment?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=white][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000019ef/01001/signature.png]Mightili[/charsig][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [COLOR=darkorange][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise]"[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]KHAZÂD FUNDINUL[/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise]"[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]- [/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise][I]On Brandywine[/I].[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=mediumturquoise]=/\ [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]Read our [URL="http://www.khazad.org/custom.php?page_id=50567&gid=104764"]Kinship Information[/URL] and then [URL="http://www.khazad.org/recruiting/app_start.php?type=app&gid=104764&page_id=50567"]Apply for Kinship[/URL] [/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise]/\=[/COLOR]

I would like to see an easily viewable display of quest arcs and what the rewards are for each piece. If you know the last quest of an arc, you can trace it back by clicking on the prerequisites, but you can't go forward to see what the end of the arc gives you. Sometimes you may be too high level for the beginning of an arc but might want what is at the end of the arc. I have yet to find a good resource that let's you look at all the quests in an arc to determine if i want to do that quest arc or not. Can we get that implemented?

Mino

- Will players eventually have their own pages to display their characters, one vanity screenshot, skills, levels attributes ect..?

- Will there be a guild registry/directory?

I'm curious as to what your policy is regarding quest walkthroughs. Do they have any place in the wiki. If so, is there a specific layout that's required?

To address some of the later questsions from this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven-Might View Post
    Why we can't see how much item gives a stat bonus?
    This is one of the big things on the upcoming feature list. Unfortunately, this is one of the harder bits of data to pull out of the game as there's a LOT of different categories of effects and they depend on many different factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mino View Post
    I would like to see an easily viewable display of quest arcs and what the rewards are for each piece.
    This definitely falls into the category of better organization and presentation of data. There's a lot we want to do here, including better quest display.

Quote Originally Posted by Haziel View Post
    Will players eventually have their own pages to display their characters, one vanity screenshot, skills, levels attributes ect..?
    We still have plans to bring your character data to the web. Unfortunately, I can't share the details with you at this time. We'll keep you posted as we bring more and more features to the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Haziel View Post
    Will there be a guild registry/directory?
    This goes hand in hand with the project to bring character data to the web. However, in the meantime, we certainly hope people will use the lorebook to post and maintain guild pages. Also, MediaWiki provides a 'User' page for every account which can be used for information about yourself or your characters.

Quote Originally Posted by jaix View Post
    I'm curious as to what your policy is regarding quest walkthroughs. Do they have any place in the wiki. If so, is there a specific layout that's required?
    We fully expect and encourage walkthroughs, hints, guides, and other player-created resources to be put on the wiki. Of course, we would not allow posting of any material that violates the TOS or COC, including things such as exploits or cheats.

As for format, we're looking to the community to help us determine what the most important information is for different types of entities and how that information can be presented. In MediaWiki, you can define custom templates, which are essentially their own pages. These themplates can then be referenced by other pages to help standardize layout.

We will likely incorporate some of the user-created templates into the 'official game entry' section as we move forward and bring more and more data to the lorebook from the game.