We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lorebook Introduction

Hi everyone. I'm Josh (Aylwyne) Hodge. I'm one of the web developers here at Turbine.

I just wanted to take a few moments and answer some of the questions that have come up and give some insight as to where the Lorebook is ultimately heading.

First, just let me say that we understand that there's a lot more functionality we all want to see in the Lorebook. This release is a Preview of the Beta of the Lorebook. We wanted to give everyone a sneak peek at what we're working on while at the same time providing a useful resource.

We're currently working on the underlying utilities we need in order to open up the wiki for editing by the community. We feel that this is one of the most important features as it will give you all the ability to share and communicate information about the game.

Our approach for this first release was to get a breadth of pages defined in the wiki rather than a smaller number of pages with a depth of information. In other words, we tried to get a page defined for everything you might encounter in the game, even if that page does not have all the possible information about that item. We figured that this would give the community the framework to start filling in with their collective knowlege.

After we open the Lorebook to community editing, we will work on releasing incremental updates that add more and more 'official' information. Some of the things we are planning for the near future:

- location information
    - google maps
    - item effects
    - arda encyclopedia 'official' entries
    - in-game access

NOTE: These are not necessarily in order of priority or the order you will see them added.

Of course, we're always open to suggestions on what type of official game data or features you would like to see.

We hope you enjoy the Lorebook!

Re: Lorebook Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Aylwyne View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm Josh (Aylwyne) Hodge. I'm one of the web developers here at Turbine.

- location information
    - google maps
    - item effects
    - arda encyclopedia 'official' entries
    - in-game access
    While I'm a little nervous about this "google maps" nonsense I keep hearing about :P, I am excited about these features and look forward to integrating my site with these tools.

I really hope that there will be an API or XML access, or some sort of developer interface into these features, especially player-character details. Opening things up to developers will not take away, it can only add... just take Google as an example of this: lots of services for free has only helped them. Is this planned at the moment?
    Agenttwo r7 forever green, FirelordOzia R5 Stalker, PeterPaarker r5 weaver
    arda-online.com - xaris kai aletheia

OMG...

I gotta hand it to Turbine on this one, they are going ALL OUT.

I bet all the other "go-to" sites are QQing right now though... If nobody goes to those... other... sites for in-game info then that's lost ad revenue. Boo hoo hehehe.

At least we won't have to see gold-buying banners =)

I for one will strictly visit Turbine's site as long as it has as much info as one of the other choices. <-- read that closesly Devs

I only have two requests at this time:

1) Make links to the site from the forums.. preferably at the top someplace.

2) Want to be really really really really rediculously revolutionary and innovative Turbine?

.... wait for it ....

Make it accessible IN-GAME... I.E. I click on the options icon and one of the options is to visit the info page and it brings up a browser window in the game without having to alt-tab... ZOMG that would be so cool and unique...

Yeah people would complain about how easy that would make the game and blah blahblah... well they don't have to use it. I just think it would be something really new and exciting... I've never seen it before anyway.

Kudos guys
    Last edited by Bloq; May 11 2007 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloq View Post
    2) Want to be really really really really rediculously revolutionary and innovative Turbine?

.... wait for it ....

Make it accessible IN-GAME... I.E. I click on the options icon and one of the options is to visit the info page and it brings up a browser window in the game without having to alt-tab... ZOMG that would be so cool and unique...

Yeah people would complain about how easy that would make the game and blah blahblah... well they don't have to use it. I just think it would be something really new and exciting... I've never seen it before anyway.

Kudos guys

It *does* say in-game access is one of their goals.

Quote Originally Posted by mreguy View Post
    It *does* say in-game access is one of their goals.
    oops... missed it lol was too excited and reading too fast, on my way out the door for work and a whole bunch of other excuses

Well met, Aylwine! Kudos to the web development team for a job well done!

First question for you: Is there any plan to expand the search feature on the Lorebook, so it will be possible to search on certain fields or is the generic search box all we get?
    [COLOR=mediumturquoise]IGN Vault Network[/COLOR]
    [URL="http://lotrovault.ign.com"]http://vault.ign.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.female-gamer.com/lotro"]http://female-gamer.com[/URL]

I just tried it out and it looks really nice.

I was wondering if it would be too difficult to link crafting items to the creature database. I just tried looking up Dusky Huorn Heartwood and all it would say is that its a trophy from a Huorn. Not knowing exactly what a Huorn is I tried a search and got 10 pages. I then tried looking in each individual creature link with no luck. I then googled it and found a snippet about it being dropped by 18+ level trees in the southern barrow downs.

The other databases out there do exactly the samething and its tough to search for crafting components when all they give is the description of the trophy.

Based on a lot of the feedback we've seen, we've added item categorization / listing as one of the big things we're looking into for one of the future updates to the lorebook.

Right now, we're just using the built-in Mediawiki categorization tags. What we'd like to add are customized category pages that allow things like listing recipes by tier, armor by armor value, etc.

Of course, our number one priority is still getting the systems in place for opening the lorebook to community editing. By doing this, it will allow the community to fill in some of the gaps while we work on the bigger updates.

You say that Lorebook is connected to the game. How come it doesn't pull proper information about items? From what I see lorebook only displays general armor value. There is no stat bonuses displayed in ANY item details either we speak of crafting or loot. Can that be fixed? Or you expected players to fix it?

Thanks,
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=white][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000000019ef/01001/signature.png]Mightili[/charsig][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [COLOR=darkorange][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise]"[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]KHAZÂD FUNDINUL[/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise]"[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]- [/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise][I]On Brandywine[/I].[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=mediumturquoise]=/\ [/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]Read our [URL="http://www.khazad.org/custom.php?page_id=50567&gid=104764"]Kinship Information[/URL] and then [URL="http://www.khazad.org/recruiting/app_start.php?type=app&gid=104764&page_id=50567"]Apply for Kinship[/URL] [/COLOR][COLOR=mediumturquoise]/\=[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven-Might View Post
    You say that Lorebook is connected to the game. How come it doesn't pull proper information about items? From what I see lorebook only displays general armor value. There is no stat bonuses displayed in ANY item details either we speak of crafting or loot. Can that be fixed? Or you expected players to fix it?

Thanks,
    It's one of the items on the list of things yet to be implemented in the first post of this thread. It's also spelled out more clearly in the known bugs thread, but that's in the bug report forum.

Excellent work! I just wish I could search for items from the Search box. Currently no matter what I type in there I get no results.

Other than that I am cheering!

Edit: And now the search feature is working! \o/ You guys rock!
    Last edited by Avaton; May 15 2007 at 03:17 AM.

Howdy!

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I looked at the lorebook for info on the wisdom trait and the only one I need to complete yet is the one for the Misty Montains. When I viewed the info for that deed, I saw the follwing:
    ------------------------------------
    Category: Explorer
    Description: In order to cross the Misty Mountains, travellers have long had to traverse high and trecherous passes, often choked with snow, knife-like winds, and other more aggressive hazards. Seek out these passes and learn the secret ways of the mountains.
    Deed Level: 40
    Min Level: 6
    ------------------------------------

What is that deed level value? There are only 6 stages in the deed for wisdom, so I am not sure how to relate 6 to 40. Should the 40 and the 6 be switched? Is that deed appropriate for a character whose level is 40? Is the deed something you can get only after your character reaches level 6?

For comparison, I looked up the deed for the Old Forst, and what I saw was

-------------------------------------
    Category: Explorer
    Description: The Old Forest lies on the border between the Shire and Bree-land. For years beyond memory it has been a forbidding place, which Men and hobbits alike have shunned. Hobbit-tales tell that the trees are aware and can move of their own accord.
    Deed Level: 10
    Min Level: 4
    -------------------------------------
    Is that saying it's ok for a character of level 10 to enter the Old Forest? Is a character level of 4 what you have to be to get the deed? I'm so confused. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Where do you go to find the lorebook? Can someone post a link to it?

No to toot Turbine's horn or anything...

But it would be cool if they would publish a BIG A$$ map of the entire Middle earth and sell it on Amazon for like $20.

Any update on the "underscore" problem?

People with an underscore in their names still cannot log in. Well I still can't.

Duh, nevermind. I answered my own question. I found the map. What is cool about it is that if you capture it from google maps, you can import it into AutoCAD and blow it up, the print out a wall map from a plotter!

WOO HOO. Middle earth WALLPAPER!

Hope to see the omnibus edition of the map soon!

Erm...

Apparently, capturing it from the page is more difficult than I previously thought possible.

Does anyone know of a way to zoom in, and capture the entire map to a TIFF, PNG or JPG? That way I CAN import it into AutoCAD and print it out from there?

I would love to see an opt-in out-of-game inspection tool like WoW's Amory. I really like the ability to show off my character to others via a url, plus it's great for signatures.
    Last edited by Dolengurth; Jun 12 2007 at 03:37 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000618db/01005/signature.png]Tolgomond[/charsig]
    [color=gold]—[font=Tengwar Annatar][size=3]2j&5$ x7J3[/size][/font][/color]
    This sig looks best with [url=http://home.student.uu.se/j/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html]Tengwar Annatar (an elvish font)[/url] and [url=http://www.firefox.com/]Firefox[/url] ;)

I like the idea of the game developers developing this kind of knowledge base format for the game. With that in mind I was wondering as we quest will we be able to post game quest info and pix to aid other players in finding and doing quest. Sort of like Thottbots.com does for world of warcraft just an example or Wrathofthejust.com does for lineage 2. I have found these site have aided me in developing my characters and get through some of the more involved quest in the games mentioned. If this is in the works players could be invited to submit there quest photos and notes to site to be published for other players and that way would be also aiding the development of other players in the game
    I have look over your site and have found it some what informative and it has great potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylwyne View Post
    - in-game access
    Please don't drop the client to windowed mode from full-screen mode when accessing the LB from within the game. Please.