We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Casmond View Post
    Well, that's in the back of my mind too. Anyway, I forgot to mention above...if you do go the Port Forwarding route, you either need to create a Static IP Address or make sure you update your IP address on your router settings every time you reboot or cycle your router. Obviously, it changes.

Something else that needs to be looked into is Microsoft Edge. It "sort of" replaced Explorer on Windows 10 and has had a massive amount of dns errors. Microsoft is being it's usual responsive self, and essentially is ignoring the problem. As a result you'll get the "Hmmmm, we can't find that page" screen. You can bully it through most times with a refresh. But, that isn't going to help you when you need a constant connection in the game.

Win10; Gods gift to those who can count on their fingers, or use an abacus.

Something interesting...but only time will determine it's worth.

As I said above, I didn't have a lot of confidence in Microsoft Edge (browser Microsoft wants you to use on Windows 10). It has a history of causing DNS errors, and Microsoft even admits that they aren't really done perfecting it yet. But, you can still use Internet Explorer in Windows 10. And, you can pin it to your taskbar and make it your primary browser.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I had a character freeze up this morning entering a doorway in Stangard. Now, normally when this happens, if I try to restart the game I will not be able to load the character from the character screen. The server won't connect. But, this time I switched back to Internet Explorer and not only could I load the character immediately...the launcher was back to it's old status. The launch was very quick. The character, also, loaded right up.

So, now it's a matter of seeing if the character stays connected of freezes up again. We shall see.

Addendum: That's a wash. I went to Bree to test it out...due to the lag. Went in and out of the AH doorway about 20 to 30 times without an issue. In fact, it was a nice fast load both ways. Unfortunately, I crashed about 4 minutes later just riding a horse through the middle of town. Not a zone change, but it might have been delayed on all the doorway hijinks. WHo knows.
    Last edited by Casmond; Jun 26 2017 at 02:32 PM.

I have only had one game crash - other than my SouthBridge overheating last week - in six months; in fact that game crash was the FIRST game crash I have ever had.

Can you try FireFox ?? I know Edge/IE will force itself as the default, regardless of what you tell it; but as I understand it, you can still download and run FireFox.

Something else that needs to be looked into is Microsoft Edge. It "sort of" replaced Explorer on Windows 10 and has had a massive amount of dns errors. Microsoft is being it's usual responsive self, and essentially is ignoring the problem. As a result you'll get the "Hmmmm, we can't find that page" screen. You can bully it through most times with a refresh. But, that isn't going to help you when you need a constant connection in the game.
    If you see that ''Lost Page'' error on the Forum thats an issue LOTRO has to deal with. Seems that error popped back up recently, same as it happened a couple months ago. SSG had some DNS issues soon after they took over the reins of LOTRO, seems those issues are baaaaaack Odd issue however, usually that error appears when a particular webpage either does not exist at all (typo in anchor?) or the IP address for the page has changed and hasn't had time to propagate across the net yet. That doesn't seem to be the case here however.

Firewalls, port forwarding ..... good idea! However, since my particular problem only happens in LOTRO and in no other location I have been online ... that kinda suggests it's a LOTRO-specific problem and not the fault of any security software installed on the clients computer.

example: I have a sound issue that appears ONLY in a specific, and limited area of Ithilen, between Aelin Veren and Henneth Annun. EAX effects (echo, reverb) suddenly become over-exaggerated when nearing a location that usually triggers those effects. Port to a diff location, like Bree for example and the distorted EAX effects follow, however if you stable there everything is normal when you arrive. Sounds like a bug to you too? Apparently not. After three attempts to get this fixed a tech finally told me that LOTRO doesn't support my 3-yr old sound card (SoundBlaster) ......... huh? hehe

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops altering our setup to make our comps compatible with a specific game. if I were project manager I'd be halting any new content updates until they get the old bugs and issues, some years old, resolved FIRST. Quit patching patches and fix, or update(?), the game engine
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

Sound issues are pretty common. They even did a specific patch for "some of the problems." Personally, if I go into the Paths of the Dead, that music plays consistently where-ever I go until relogging. It doubles up on the music from other regions.

Anyway, back to the original problems listed at the initiation of the thread. I've not heard anything from technical support for a couple days. As soon as they switched from the original representative to a different representative all communication ceased. But, I can assure you that won't last much longer ;D Unfortunately, I'm reliant on LOTRO to be responsive. I have no idea how the inner-mechanics of zone changes is set up. But, considering this issue popped up for me immediately after the last maintenance. And, considering this is quite obviously a connection issue when changing "regions," it probably has something to do with the activity when those changes take place. Do you get forwarded to a different server? Do you get forwarded to a different port? Are access qualification required to make those changes? I have no freakin idea...and complete silence from technical support won't improve my chances of finding out..

So TS gets 24 more hours to respond to the information I provided to them. Then I start going up the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I have only had one game crash - other than my SouthBridge overheating last week - in six months; in fact that game crash was the FIRST game crash I have ever had.

Can you try FireFox ?? I know Edge/IE will force itself as the default, regardless of what you tell it; but as I understand it, you can still download and run FireFox.

Yeah, I considered this. But, keep in mind that I've been playing for years...and this is the first time I've had continuous crashes. I upgraded my laptop and downloaded the game to this computer (7th generation I5) about a year ago. Actually, that was a bit of a problem trying the automatic installation, but the custom installation worked just fine. The only difference is the location of the stored files. I'm not inclined, at this point, to think the issue is on my side. They made changes, and immediately afterwards the crashes started, the launcher got sluggish, and chat was unreliable.

Can you ping the server and check the routing is correct?? Sometimes it can go wrong and get stuck; in this case a full DNS cache flush can usually fix the issue.

I have noticed the forums being glitchy for a few weeks; the log in page sometimes take 10+ seconds to load, and stupidly, it WONT accept the log in details until the LOTRO artwork background has downloaded; this is plain STUPID.

It isnt continuous though, some days the load time is less than 5 seconds, but always that stupid background photo has to load before the log in will be accepted.

Shooting in the dark...but curious. The June 21st update was atypical. I'm going by the assumption that it was the source of my issues:

Now, when I downloaded the game, I had to get around a General error 201. The fix for this in the knowledgebase was to custom install renaming the main file and to delete Akamai NetSession. After doing so, loading up and playing the game worked like a charm. My understanding is that Akamai Netsession is typically not required for updates. But:

"Once you install the LOTRO client, or patch your game to Update 13, it will be possible to uninstall Akamai NetSession from your computer, and NetSession will not reinstall unless it is necessary to deliver a deleted file or a fresh installation. Typical game updates will not require the use of Akamai NetSession."
    That quote comes from the Bullroarer release notes from Update 13. Again, I'd have to ask whether the June 21st update required Akamai Netsession to install properly as it was an atypical patch. It would help if I had a tech consultant who was actually responsive. The reason I'm curious is that a search of my laptop shows that Akamai Netsession doesn't exist on my laptop.

_______

Here's the rub...I've since made sure my firewall would not block Akamai Netsession. But, when the Update downloaded on June 21st, that was not an exclusion on my firewall. Therefore, I could be missing a valid piece of the Update. I realize it was to address payment issues, but who knows what else was in there. We don't get release notes on maintenance.
    Last edited by Casmond; Jun 27 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Can you ping the server and check the routing is correct?? Sometimes it can go wrong and get stuck; in this case a full DNS cache flush can usually fix the issue.

I have noticed the forums being glitchy for a few weeks; the log in page sometimes take 10+ seconds to load, and stupidly, it WONT accept the log in details until the LOTRO artwork background has downloaded; this is plain STUPID.

It isnt continuous though, some days the load time is less than 5 seconds, but always that stupid background photo has to load before the log in will be accepted.
    Yeah, I flushed the cache a couple days ago. No difference. Pinging the server isn't going to tell me much until I understand how zone changes work in their programming. I'm hopelessly clueless in that regard, and without a tech support rep to give me a few scraps of feedback, I'm flailing like seagulls fighting over a French fry.

Sorry, I cannot think of anything else to help you; I WILL think about it while painting skirting boards all day today; if I come up with anything, I will post tonight.

Here's an update:

Still crashing on zone changes (entering/exiting instances, changing regions, taking swift travel routes)
    Still losing chat sporadically (sometimes upon entering the game, sometimes after being online for a bit)
    Still having difficulty loading characters from the character screen
    Still having launcher sluggishness, and sporadic fails and unable to connect to server issues

I gave technical support this information and they made me sit for 1 week and 3 days waiting for a response. I finally got fed up and commented on the fact on the ticket in what could be referred to as "aggressive negotiations." I had totally prepared myself to start a new ticket suggesting that their technical support staff either had taken an oath of silence or the ticket process was broken and needed to be repaired. I, also, went on World Chat and suggested that the game masters might want to go down the hall and see if everyone was alright in the technical support department. They might have gotten some bad ice cream or something.

Almost immediately I received a response on my ticket saying they were fixing it (no explanation). This stuck out in the response:

I have attempted to clean up any connection issues with all your characters.
    Vague, non-committal and highly aloof. Clean up the connection issues? Well, I think this explains it. This was also part of the response from the person in charge of my ticket for weeks:

If the issue keeps up, we will need to transfer you to tech support to see if we can find a remedy to the issue.
    Weeks waiting and I find out this guy isn't even part of Technical Support!!! WTH. I get the distinct impression they are greatly overwhelmed and they have a process in place to stall the customer. This seems to suggest I'm correct. Any search on the forums will show these very specific problems going back at least five years to scores of players. I've yet to see one satisfied (at least in the forums).

Also, at the same time I received this non-response, I, also received a feedback form to fill out for me to explain my experience with their crack technical support team. Needless to say, my response was again within the realm of "aggressive negotiations." I confirmed that my problems had not been addressed and that the issues continued at the same frequency. I gave them a "BAD and UNSATISFIED" rating.

AND THEY CLOSED MY TICKET !!!!

I reopened the ticket and explained my thoughts on that type of "customer service." So, now I have another ticket open that refers back to the previous one. Needless to say, I am not exactly happy about this process. The last time I crashed I ran a tracert that was unremarkable. I had a straight trace to the LOTRO servers. I, also, noticed that fps was find, packet loss was at 0%. The only remarkable item was that received dropped exponentially from where it usually is (somewhere around 1000 to 3000) down to about 25 and eventually 0 (which timed out the server).

Could this be a permission based bug. Servers are not providing permission to the character to proceed? It might explain why you can't load that same character upon re-entering the game to the character screen. It, also, might explain why sometimes you can unlock that same character by moving another character to the same area.

Well, there's my update...still plugging along.

Had a thought,

There is a "Browser Helper" that does nothing of the sort - instead it regularly buggers up internet connections; now I dont know if it effects the LOTRO server connection, but it is worth looking to see if you are infected with "conduit".

Had a thought,

There is a "Browser Helper" that does nothing of the sort - instead it regularly buggers up internet connections; now I dont know if it effects the LOTRO server connection, but it is worth looking to see if you are infected with "conduit".

Thanks for the suggestion.....but no, that is not on my computer.

OK clutching at straws now.

How many sticks of RAM are you using??

If more than one, try removing half,

If that makes no difference, swap the half you took out with the half still in the machine.

Sometimes RAM fails in amusing ways; I remember back in the early PGA Tour golfing game days; the first hint I had that something was going wrong was getting an enormous putt into the hole - and missing on the "instant replay"; then a few days later I had a near miss that went IN on the "instant replay".

Cue some replacement RAM, which back in those days meant unsoldering it from the main board.

Might have found something....I've been experimenting with pings and traces. When I'm not crashing I ran a clean ping and a clean trace. But, as a test I've been doing both right before entering certain areas that seem to crash more than others (Cisterns instance in MT, between Dagorlan and Slag Hills, entering the North Gate of MT). If the trace and ping are clean I'm virtually assured of getting through. Makes sense, pretty simple really.

But, on one of my crashes (which actually takes a while since the server doesn't time out right way) I ran a trace and a ping. The ping, obviously didn't get through (all four packets never reached the source). However, the trace took me to a specific Hop (10th out of 13). Everything beyond that Hop timed out because nothing was getting past that address. I've done this three times and each time the same Hop was the last one the trace reached.

This would, also, explain how you can continue to play in a specific region for a long while before you start losing packets and eventually crash even without a zone change. I'm under the impression that a region is loaded. With the exception of non-static things (like other players) you already have the code for that region since you are already in it. But, if you switch regions (enter/exit instances, go over a boundary, use swift travel) you are now going to require another major download of code to bring that region up on your screen. That seems to explain why the zone change is catalyst to a crash.

Now, back to that one Hop on the trace:

Interestingly enough, if you do a search you will find this particular one mentioned in the forum as a problem child. There is a whole thread on UK players who identified it as a source of massive lag with Virgin Media provider. Here's that thread: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...VirginMedia-UK

I guess what I need to do is contact my IP provider and find out if they have any say in how other Hops do their traffic shaping. I, also, have to do a bit more research. I'm lacking in this type of knowledge.

Here's a good example of what I posted just above. When I get a trace to the source, I'm usually averaging a very nice 20 ms on each Hop. I'm guessing the culprit is the 10th Hop (63.236.3.130), but there is always the chance it is the 11th Hop. In the states, there's no obligation to comply with a trace, so #11 timing out could just be a non-compliance with the request and that could be the wall.

Either way...it looks like a call to my provider to ask about traffic shaping and whether they hold a whip over any of the other Hops on the way to Boston.

Tracing route to gls.lotro.com [198.252.160.30]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 57 ms 51 ms 48 ms 10.50.7.1
    3 58 ms 55 ms 60 ms G0-10-0-5.PHLAPA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net [130.81.196.76]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 59 ms 58 ms 54 ms 0.et-5-1-0.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [140.222.239.85]
    7 65 ms 66 ms 65 ms dcp-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net [63.235.40.49]
    8 55 ms 56 ms 61 ms ewr-cntr-11.inet.qwest.net [205.171.17.2]
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 43 ms 41 ms 37 ms 63.236.3.130
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

Here's what it looks like when I'm not crashing:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 23 ms 21 ms 17 ms 10.50.7.1
    3 * * * Request timed out.
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms 0.et-5-1-0.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [140.222.239.85]
    7 15 ms 16 ms 15 ms 63-235-40-49.dia.static.qwest.net [63.235.40.49]
    8 20 ms 19 ms 19 ms ewr-cntr-11.inet.qwest.net [205.171.17.2]
    9 20 ms 20 ms 21 ms 206.103.215.50
    10 21 ms 20 ms 20 ms 63.236.3.130
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 46 ms 31 ms 24 ms 198.252.160.30
    13 20 ms 19 ms 21 ms 198.252.160.30
    Last edited by Casmond; Jul 17 2017 at 09:20 PM.

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's the 10th Hop.

Pinging 63.236.3.130 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 63.236.3.130: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=54
    Reply from 63.236.3.130: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=54
    Reply from 63.236.3.130: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=54
    Reply from 63.236.3.130: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 63.236.3.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 65ms, Maximum = 329ms, Average = 131ms

When the game is behaving, I'm averaging about 19 ms to 25 ms on all four packets. The average here is 131 ms which is wayyyyy too high.

Annnnnnd....the first thing I notice after today's maintenance marathon is much more difficulty launching into the game....annnnd....sporadic disconnects from the server even if there is no transition to another region. Nice. Let's speed this up and launch me right to a black screen. Shall we?

I had that twice last night, early into my gaming session, the whole game just froze for about 1 second, started going again and then froze for another second. After that it was fine for another 30-40 minutes before I started getting random skill lag for about 5 minutes.

I have had a quick session this morning, and everything seemed OK.

I had that twice last night, early into my gaming session, the whole game just froze for about 1 second, started going again and then froze for another second. After that it was fine for another 30-40 minutes before I started getting random skill lag for about 5 minutes.

I have had a quick session this morning, and everything seemed OK.
    Yeah, I had the same response. I still am getting the zone change crashes, but the others seem to have played out. BTW, I think my trace above is misleading. When I did it, there was bad weather on the entire eastern seaboard...and when I couldn't load a character (or was in the process of crashing) I was able to run a trace and a ping to the client that were unremarkable. Which gets me back to a permission based problem. Something at their end is blocking the IP address from the log on servers as well as transition servers. Common sense might suggest a DOS type security apparatus in effect that isn't performing properly. When I suggested this to the technical support rep assigned to my ticket he said he would talk to the applicable team and get back to me. Curiously, that same day I no longer get hung up loading from the character screen even if I try to load the same character that just crashed in a zone change. Previously, I had to reboot and secure another IP address (dynamic set up) before it would let me load the character.

Incidentally, I'm done a little exploring on the forum. There must be nearly 50 threads where people are or were experiencing the exact same problems I am. Unfortunately, no one ever stuck around to say how they corrected it. Most just disappeared and left the game.

Yeah, I had the same response. I still am getting the zone change crashes, but the others seem to have played out. BTW, I think my trace above is misleading. When I did it, there was bad weather on the entire eastern seaboard...and when I couldn't load a character (or was in the process of crashing) I was able to run a trace and a ping to the client that were unremarkable. Which gets me back to a permission based problem. Something at their end is blocking the IP address from the log on servers as well as transition servers. Common sense might suggest a DOS type security apparatus in effect that isn't performing properly. When I suggested this to the technical support rep assigned to my ticket he said he would talk to the applicable team and get back to me. Curiously, that same day I no longer get hung up loading from the character screen even if I try to load the same character that just crashed in a zone change. Previously, I had to reboot and secure another IP address (dynamic set up) before it would let me load the character.

Incidentally, I'm done a little exploring on the forum. There must be nearly 50 threads where people are or were experiencing the exact same problems I am. Unfortunately, no one ever stuck around to say how they corrected it. Most just disappeared and left the game.

Since posting that....

Mid game I got locked out, even the forums wouldnt load, but my website tester said it was working; so I dug around my system and found Comodo Firewall had just decided that LOTRO (and a shed load of other programs), were suspect, and blocked them, claiming they had failed a HIPs scan.

Since posting that....

Mid game I got locked out, even the forums wouldnt load, but my website tester said it was working; so I dug around my system and found Comodo Firewall had just decided that LOTRO (and a shed load of other programs), were suspect, and blocked them, claiming they had failed a HIPs scan.
    I saw that happened with someone else back in January. There wasn't even a new update download for the security program. It just decided to block certain sites for no particular reason. Something triggered it. It might be related to Bullroarer being active today.

I sure wish I knew what LOTRO is doing today that is different from yesterday. I'm getting transition crashes on every other attempt and certain characters won't load. Nothing has changed on my computer since last night (no updates etc.). I can't help thinking that it has something to do with Bullroarer. I believe this past weekend was the last Beta before the release. And, today is the first work day back since then. Also, all my problems started June 21...which was the maintenance just before Bullroarer went active with the first Beta on Mordor. No such thing as coincidence.

I had an issue in South Gravenwood, Dunland last night. Every time I tried to go clock-wise around this rock, or jump over it I glitched back to the 6 O'clock position, but going anti clockwise was fine.

I suspect that much of this might be on SSG/Turbine's end on the server and not on the client end. I was halted in my tracks twice last night, and continued to watch world chat keep going. Obviously I had a connection to the Turbine (until I timed out on "the server" but not world chat).

I'll check for Happy Cloud. I can't believe that Turbine decided *again* to heap a piece of malware on their customers after the first Pando disaster.
    In a hole there lived a wumpus...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast