We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

[X-fi Sound Bug] "Disappearing" Sounds (video demo included)

That option helps on every Windows OS. It helps in that it makes everything audible again, but in software only. No beautiful effects like in hardware accelerated mode. Still awaiting a response from Creative, but as I sent it only this weekend, I guess they couldn't ve picked it up before today. So I expect/hope to get an answer tuesday/wednesday at the latest.

To expand on that, selecting "Generic Software" rather than "SB X-fi Audio" fully bypasses all x-fi hardware processing. So at that point, you might as well not have an x-fi. You would get the same sound out of your motherboard's integrated sound device. Though perhaps the sound from the x-fi would be "cleaner" due to higher-quality components.

--H

Windows 10 driver for x-fi Titanium released today.

Link.

Won't have a chance to try for a bit. Hopefully tonight. Though let's not get our hopes up that this new driver fixes it. My understanding is that if it does fix the issue, it will been done accidentally (welcome as that would be).

A small update from me. So far Creative's had 3 working days to play with this problem, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Which actually gives me hope that they already reproduced the problem and are looking for a solution. Let's hope so.

Unfortunately, the bug persists in Window 10 and with the new Windows 10 x-fi Titanium driver released today.

Still no answer from Creative. I sent a reminder, so I hope I'll receive some news this week. Prior to sending my first email to Creative about this problem, I looked around on the internet and came across OpenAL Soft. Haven't tried it yet, but in theory it should do the real-time surround/environmental effects as well as a dedicated sound card, but processed entirelly in software. If Creative solves this issue, I stick with my X-Fi Titanium till a new and better sound card with 7.1 or possibly more channels and a HDMI output hits the market. If they don't solve this, I think I'll give OpenAL Soft a try.

Back before the BSOD x-fi issue was fixed, I tried both BlueRippleSound's Rapture 3D as well as OpenAL Soft.

Both work around the issue and restore OpenAL functionality. Of course, you're bypassing the hardware processing on your sound card and instead processing it all on your CPU, but that's unlikely to bog down a modern system.

I'm currently using Rapture 3D and I think the 3D/5.1 sound fields might actually be better than OpenAL when processed by the x-fi in hardware. But if my prior notes are accurate, sound is every so slightly "muddier" (honestly can't tell listening to it now).

If I recall correctly, OpenAL performed similarly. And even better, it's free (Rapture3D is not free).

Anyways, those are indeed decent work-arounds just as they were back in the BSOD era. And I'm currently using one of them. If I could, though, I would still prefer to keep my system simple and run OpenAL on my x-fi natively.

Yeah, I prefer my X-Fi card too. It does its job in hardware which puts some pressure off the CPU, which is even more important on somewhat older systems. Modern PCs won't have trouble doing audio in software due to the sheer muscle power of Intel's and AMD's CPUs, but perhaps I wouldn't even notice any significant FPS loss on my Intel Q9850 (running @ native 2,83GHz).

Concerning the sound clarity/purity, there's some more expensive motherboards which sport Realtek ALC1150 chip with high-quality components to deliver a high SNR. This is theory however, I wonder how close to (or far from) the theoretical SNR they'd really come. As for me: if Creative doesn't solve this, I'll definitely install OpenAL Soft and use it with my NVIDIA 760GTX HDMI output to send the audio to my surround receiver. And as I'm also using the same HDMI output for streaming Blu-ray HD audio to the receiver this would definitely remove the need for a sound card.

Still waiting for an answer from Creative. I wonder what's taking them.

Just received an email from Creative. It looks like they escalated this for further investigation. Let's hope their devs can find a solution soon.

Got a reply from Creative's Cust. Support this morning. They're still waiting for an update from their devs.

Hey all, Hurin might remember from the long days of dealing with the BSOD issue. I am also getting dropped sounds, windows 10 x64, latest driver, and sound blaster x-fi titanium pci-e (i think fatality). This is the only game I play that uses Sound blaster specific things anymore. I swear, I have been dealing with Sound blaster issues with this game since beta. Very frustrating, since when it is working properly, the sound is much better.

Tried the new x-fi driver (v6.0.240.12) dated 9/1/2015 (released on website 9/23/2015).

No change. Problem persists.

Back to Rapture3D.

Got a reply from Creative's customer support recently. Though I mentioned that this problem occurs with both Windows 7 and 10, their devs' reply was all about Windows 10 (install this or that driver, then update to this or that). So I just reminded them AGAIN to look into the drivers as the same problem happens with Windows 7. *sigh* I'm starting to toy with the idea of testing my X-Fi Titanium on my WIndows XP rig with both LOTRO and 1-2 DirectSound games because I'm curious whether this same problem happens with hardware accelerated DirectSound games (which would make this an issue of Creative's drivers not handling the entire hardware acceleration properly no matter the API) or just with OpenAL titles. BTW I tested another OpenAL title on my WIndows 7 rig yesterday: Dungeons & Dragons Online, it has the same disappearing sound problem.

It is sad that the devs themselves haven't solved this yet. On the bright side: I tested LOTRO with OpenAL Soft with both my X-Fi and NVIDIA's HDMI port for sound output and I like the results. I couldn't detect any hick-ups during gameplay on my Intel Q9550 system.

I tested my X-Fi Titanium with my Windows XP rig and found the following:

- I played Warcraft 3 for 10 minutes using EAX2 and got 0 problems.

- I installed LOTRO and tested with both DirectMusic and OpenAL as sound provider (this can be done by adjusting UserPreferences.ini) and got the same problem with both.

What bugs me is why there's no problems using DirectSound+EAX with Warcraft 3 while there IS a problem with playing LOTRO using DirectSound hw acceleration (disabling EAX in the game menu doesn't solve the problem). Could it be that X-Fi Tit's drivers screw themselves up only with certain surround/environmental sound features? It doesn't seem to be EAX-related, cos disabling EAX in LOTRO doesn't bring the sound back. To my knowledge LOTRO uses newer and more advanced features than Warcraft 3. Any of you got an idea about what could be going on here? I'll try and see if I can dig up a few more suitable games from my collection for some more testing.

BTW: the problems occur only with 2.40.0008 drivers. I also tested with 2.17.0008 drivers and got no disappearing sound (tested with both DirectMusic and OpenAL as sound providers in LOTRO). But remembering the stability issues (and occasional BSOD nightmares) with 2.17.0008 drivers, I switched to 2.40.0008 again.

Haven't had a reply from Creative yet, but I see there's new Windows 10 drivers (2.40.0014) for X-Fi Titanium. I'm still using Win 7, but hopefully those of you who already switched to Win 10 can test if the disappearing sound problem got solved.

Thanks for the heads up. Just tried it. No change. Problem persists.

Guess they fixed something else for Win10 users then. Haven't had a reply from Creative for the last 4 weeks, so I sent a reminder this morning.

Was thinking about testing OpenAL with Unreal Tournament 2004, but InstallShield just won't cooperate. However while googling this issue a few weeks ago I came across a forum where X-Fi Titanium users complained about UT2004 having the same issue, so there's no need for me to test that.

There's a few more titles I wanna test: Battle for Middle-earth (DirectX 9.0 and EAX3) and Doom 3 (DirectX 9.0 and EAX4). I expect the sound NOT to work properly with these games, cos if an EAX3 title like UT 2004 gives people problems (and EAX5 after one of the patches), it seems logical that Battle for Middle-earth and Doom 3 won't work either. But I'll know for sure after testing them.

Wacraft 3 works fine, but it's using DirectX 8.1 and EAX2, so it looks like the X-Fi Tit's drivers mess up when confronted with surround sound features present in DirectX 9.0 and higher (and ofc the same features called upon using OpenAL).
    Last edited by ngfyfm; Nov 09 2015 at 02:25 AM.

Just tested The Battle for Middle-earth on my Windows XP rig and it works just fine. But due to a few of my guests installing all kinds of stuff on the XP rig InstallShield just won't work properly and I can't install Doom 3. I reinstalled the InstallShield using ikernel.exe and started Doom 3 installer again, but right after starting to copy the game files to the PC, the installer just stops and gives an error. This can be solved by reinstalling XP, but I definitely don't feel like doing that right now. So there's no Doom 3 results for now.

But whether Creative solves this or not, I think I'll probably take out my sound card and just use my NVIDIA's HDMI port for sound output and OpenAL Soft for sound processing (for games that use OpenAL). I'm using the Onkyo TX-NR808 surround receiver and needless to say it has better DACs than either my X-Fi Titanium or Auzentech HomeTheater HD. Music sounds audibly clearer. When I play some Iron Maiden tunes, I just love how better Steve Harris' bass guitar sounds.

Heard nothing from Creative yet. But I found a driver not mentioned on their site (2.17.0009 dated nov. or dec. 2012) and use it together with Console Launcher 2.61.49.
    So far I had zero stability problems and the sound is as it should be (used it with LOTRO and several other OpenAL titles). Just Google for it. I used this link: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOU...-2170009.shtml
    Windows 8/8.1/10 users are out of luck though as these drivers won't work for them. If you're using Windows 7 or older, then you can switch to these drivers.

I had similar problem with Creative Omni Surround 5.1 external sound card. Sounds weren't disappearing, but some of them were much quieter than others, for example some skills had normal volume, and some were barely audible. Also fear, poison and this kind of effect where much to quiet in comparison with other sounds. Basically some sounds were normal and loud and some were quiet and this created terrible chaos in game audio. The problem was Smart Volume option in sound card settings panel. It says that it is minimizing chances of sudden sound volume changes or whatever, but it looks like it caused something like this instead of preventing. Now everything is working fine since I disabled it. You still have to make some tweaks in game settings in audio panel, some effects like walking are still not loud enough so I just started t run LOTRO louder and decrease things like ambient sound volume and etc to keep everything balanced. It works fine, 5.1 surround is working well, you can feel which sounds come from which side.

Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    I had similar problem with Creative Omni Surround 5.1 external sound card. Sounds weren't disappearing, but some of them were much quieter than others, for example some skills had normal volume, and some were barely audible. Also fear, poison and this kind of effect where much to quiet in comparison with other sounds. Basically some sounds were normal and loud and some were quiet and this created terrible chaos in game audio. The problem was Smart Volume option in sound card settings panel. It says that it is minimizing chances of sudden sound volume changes or whatever, but it looks like it caused something like this instead of preventing. Now everything is working fine since I disabled it. You still have to make some tweaks in game settings in audio panel, some effects like walking are still not loud enough so I just started t run LOTRO louder and decrease things like ambient sound volume and etc to keep everything balanced. It works fine, 5.1 surround is working well, you can feel which sounds come from which side.
    Thanks. Unfortunately, the only similar setting on an x-fi Titanium is the SVM setting. Mine was already off. I tried toggling it and it had no effect. Sounds continued to disappear.

Seems the bug is back for the past update or so!

I turn sound off and no crashes, on, it crashes randomly, usually going thru doors etc...

Got a reply from Creative's support desk on 5 jan. and unfortunately the devs haven't given any update to support guys about this issue. 2.17.0009 driver is still bug free, so as long as I'm using Windows 7 I can stick with these drivers.

Sent a reminder to Creative a few days ago and got this: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium is already classified as an EOSL (End of Service Life) product. There will not be any driver updates for EOSL products.

They had 2 years after last official driver to fix this, but they didn't. Guess that's the Creative tactic: if we don't know how to fix something or simply don't feel like fixing it, just wait till it reaches the EOSL phase.

Ah well, I already suspected the X-Fi Titanium would be my last Creative product and now I know for sure. Luckily OpenAL Soft (now awailable in version 1.17.2) works well for OpenAL games and new games don't use hw accelerated sound anyway, so it's not exactly a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ngfyfm View Post
    Sent a reminder to Creative a few days ago and got this: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium is already classified as an EOSL (End of Service Life) product. There will not be any driver updates for EOSL products.

They had 2 years after last official driver to fix this, but they didn't. Guess that's the Creative tactic: if we don't know how to fix something or simply don't feel like fixing it, just wait till it reaches the EOSL phase.

Ah well, I already suspected the X-Fi Titanium would be my last Creative product and now I know for sure. Luckily OpenAL Soft (now awailable in version 1.17.2) works well for OpenAL games and new games don't use hw accelerated sound anyway, so it's not exactly a huge loss.

It's the game as usual. I built a new system with all the drivers and when the game updated it broke. ONLY game that does it of the 30 or so on this system. Screw you Turbine and Warner Brothers if you don't want to keep your garbage working, I'll go find something else to play now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast