We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Clarifications regarding Player Consolidation and the EU Move.

Hopefully this thread can shed some light on the common misconceptions and just downright false information being touted both ingame and on the forums. It should clear up a lot of things peole are asking and will save you hunting the forums for answers.

Whats is happening
    - the EU server move.
    Turbine are moving the EU servers to the Netherlands, to assist in reducing ping times and hopefully reducing latency. With the possibility of improved and newer hardware.

The EU servers are as follows.

[EN] Eldar
    [EN] Evernight
    [EN] Gilrain
    [EN] Withwindle
    [EN] Snowbourne
    [EN-RP] Laurelin

[DE] Maiar
    [DE] Anduin
    [DE-RP] Belegaer
    [DE] Vanya
    [DE] Morthond
    [DE] Gwaihir

[FR-RP] Estel
    [FR] Sirannon

All that is happening here is that the data will be transferred and service will be as normal. No takeover of service by Codemasters or any other third party. (This seems to be a huge concern on Eldar at least and the source of a lot of misinformation).

The above move has nothing to do with the consolidation to take place at a later date other than perhaps the newer hardware will better be able to cope with the increased amounts of people on the servers they move to.

• As of 26.01.2015 the server list on the launcher has been updated so that each server is listed either [EU] or [US] to reflect their location in preperation for the move.

Whats Happening - Playerbase Consolidation

This is where it gets tricky, with the limited information we have rumours and misinformation are abound.

What we know

• Servers will not be merged and their will be no forced data merge
    • Players will have their choice of which server to move to
    • Some servers are likely to close but only after a large grace period and even then the characters will still be available for transfer
    • There is a preliminary list of servers likely to close but that is not set in stone and is subject to change
    • As of 26.01.15 NA-EU Transfers and vice versa will not happen, this is a definate.
    • Cross Server chat/grouping is a no go
    • If your server is ever closed, you will always have the option to move characters from that server to another open world for free. But transfers between already high populated worlds may not remain free, as we do not want to encourage a constant hoping back and forth between servers.
    • Transfers to the higher population servers will start sooner rather than later, for those that wish to move before the transfer improvements are added.
    • Even if you move before improvements are made, your account items will remain on the old server to be moved when that comes available.
    • As for character items, we are working on making sure everything your character or account has will move with you. There may be some edge-case items that will come out in testing, but we will have a clear listing of what those items are.
    • This effort also includes upgraded hardware and a move to a better location for internet traffic for the US servers.
    • From the Q&A with Frelorn on 15.01.2015 - But again, we want the best experience possible for all of our players. If that means bringing more of you together... Sometimes we need to be reminded that MMO means massively multiplayer online, and we see a lot of complaints of “I like being on the low pop server” or “I like being all by myself.” Well, as much as we would like to give everyone the exact experience that they want individually, we have to look at what's best for the whole and not just the individual. We try our best to balance it, but that would be impossible. I challenge you to show me any game that has done that. So if the majority of people want more player base that's what we are going to get them.
    • New Launcher service: We are changing our character and account transfer service to occur in the game launcher itself. No longer will you need to find a website to conduct a transfer. You just have to launch the game and go from there!
    • Account transfer: This new checkbox in the Server Transfer interface will allow the transfer of all account level items from one server to another. These items include the following:
      o Account Shared Currency (Mithril Coins & Skirmish )
      o Shared Storage
      o Housing Storage
      o Wardrobe
      o Destiny
    • Kinship transfer: We are working on a system to transfer some of your kinship information data to the new server. More details as this feature develops.
    • Naming Priorities: One of the main concerns is of players keeping their names. We are looking into a change in the way name conflicts are handled to give priority to the active characters. More details as this feature develops.
    • You will note that we have now labeled all worlds on the launcher with their region. However, there is no restrictions on where you might start a new character and play based on your physical location, so feel free to try out new worlds in which ever region you feel most comfortable.
    • We aim to have this new service available in early spring this year with beta testing on Bullroarer before that time. We hope that you will join us to give feedback and stress tests to this all new and improved aspect of our service!
    • For splitting your characters between destination worlds, you will need to choose which one gets all the account items. We can only send the account data to one world.
    • There will be an overflow if destination inventory is full
    • Housing questions: More details on the changes to that system as we get closer to finalizing design on it, same for Name conflicts.
    • You will be able to choose which world each of your characters goes to individually or select all the characters on one world and send them all to the other world of your choosing at once.
    • 12.02.15 - Twitch Feed - There is still no information to give us regarding which servers will close and which will be opened up for transfers.
    • They want to make sure everything is working first and that they can do it with as few issues as possible.
    • Progress is coming along on both the new transfer from launcher feature as well as new hardware setups. Hopefully in a week or two we can post more details on the new server transfer features such as the multiple character moves, the guild disband and re-formation and naming conflict changes.
    • we have at least a couple more months before all of this gets underway. I wanted to get the transfers started towards the closer end of that, but then based on feedback and research into performance concerns, have decided to wait until we have our new hardware in place so as not to cause undue stress on already highly populated worlds.
    • For those concerned about notice for server closures. We will be providing at least a couple months notice for players on which servers might close before that happens.

Hopefully this clear up some of the confusion about what is happening. I know it has helped my kin as i explained it to them.

Updated 02.03.15
    Last edited by Ellemere; Mar 02 2015 at 05:41 PM.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Server merges have always been a terrible idea and still are, expecially if what seems to be discussed (individual character going to server of our choice-aside from the one we currently choose apparently) is implemented. I find particularly alarming the phrase 'They are also looking at allowing us to move currently locked items with us ... such as Mithril, Marks, Meds and Seals is what i took it as.'

Really? They're going to force people to move and maybe if they feel like it and spare the time, they won't rob us of our ingame belongings?

Picture this: You grumpily accept the change and go through the drudgery of moving all your current characters (up to 21 for VIPs) to another server. Do you have to do them individually or can Turbine give us one simple 'move all my junk' option? You get to your new server which is laggy as all hell, because of course there is no way to know ahead of time which the least overpopulated of remaining servers if you don't visit *every* other server regularly, and you Apicked the wrong one or B)picked the wrong one because everyone else moved to that one, too. Check your wallet. Festival tokens? Ok, they're there. Those tokens from rerunning epic instances that I never got enough of to trade for anything, ok, they're still there. Gold? Okay, good. Marks? WHERE ARE MY MARKS?!? wait a second, WHERE ARE MY MITHRIL COINS? Fine, fine you grumble away because maybe those were only what you had from hobbit slots. So you go and check the vault. Hey, neat those LIs are still in my vault. Cool. WHY IS MY SHARED STORAGE EMPTY. And then it occurs to you, if the shared storage didn't make it, house storage didn't either. AND NEITHER DID THE HOUSE YOU'VE MADE PAYMENTS ON FOR FOUR YEARS.

Anything at all like that and I can pretty much guarantee that will be the last day Turbine hears from me.

Seems people are still having difficulty with what is actually happening i had hoped this thread might provide a means for folks to find current answers to many of their questions given the very limited info we have currently, It seemed the best practice to put everything we know in one place but either my title is misleading or people just prefer to hunt the facts themselves.
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

Thank you for posting this, Ellemere. A very good summary of the facts.

I really like this concept. Good idea!

A couple of things that can help people find information for themselves and confirm the OP:

The dev tracker, if you don't already know, shows where the devs are actively posting. The new Executive Producer contributed to several different threads on day one of this announcement. You can find the dev tracker on the light gray bar above, or here:

https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/post...ker=devtracker

There are three suggestion threads at the moment. Please contribute! I'm certain that some of you out there have great ideas on ways to help the transfers go smoothly. It would help everyone involved if you bring your suggestions to the suggestion forums, and leave the pointless arguments to the general discussion threads.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...er-Suggestions

Thanks, i'll keep it updated as new info comes in.

Thanks for putting the information all in one place. I really hope they can get the whole kin transfer thing to work. I'd feel helpless without my kin. Joined them my first week of playing back when the game went f2p. Would be sad to see the kin house, levels, etc. get erased.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21601000009361b/signature.png]Kittyyumyums[/charsig]

I'm the WORST warg on DD

Quote Originally Posted by bob101910 View Post
    Thanks for putting the information all in one place. I really hope they can get the whole kin transfer thing to work. I'd feel helpless without my kin. Joined them my first week of playing back when the game went f2p. Would be sad to see the kin house, levels, etc. get erased.
    Well, it only takes a year to get max kin level, which isn't that much of an issue aside from qualifying for a house (however long that takes) and if you have more members than the level 1 maximum (which coming from a low pop server doesn't seem likely). But you are losing the house itself, for the same reason individual characters are.

Though it would be neat if in the transfer process, the game could check and see if your old house on your new server is available and if so give it to you. Though while I'm making unreasonable demands, I suppose I should also have my bounder's bounty count compared to the list on whatever server I *may* wind up on and name placed appropriately.

Not that anyone at Turbine took that event as seriously as those of us who participated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    [*]Unless something significant changes and a breakthrough is made it will not be possible to transfer NA-EU or EU-NA, but they are looking into it
    Unless they make a complete mess of setting up their network this should be simple. They *should* set up all their servers so they're on the same network - the location is irrelevant. This is very simple to achieve these days and most people in worldwide companies have no idea where there servers are. The only point to moving the servers is to possibly reduce network lag (though no guarantee there). From a user perspective we should see no change.

Just a small concern of mine...

I am going to assume that when the kin transfer is made the join date for all members will be the date they moved, no?

Personally I'd love a feature that allowed me to keep my original join date. By this I mean, if I had to leave the kin for some reason, such as newb officer removed me while looking over their newly gained kin skills, I'd like to have my original join date back. If it is possible to return the kin to the new location with their current join dates maybe it would be possible to get our original join dates back?

yeah nitpicky but it doesnt hurt to ask, right?
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostro44 View Post
    Unless they make a complete mess of setting up their network this should be simple. They *should* set up all their servers so they're on the same network - the location is irrelevant. This is very simple to achieve these days and most people in worldwide companies have no idea where there servers are. The only point to moving the servers is to possibly reduce network lag (though no guarantee there). From a user perspective we should see no change.
    You dont quite understand the issue here, and are confusing two things that are happening. The reason we cannot have EU-NA transfers is due to how Codemasters stored our data as a result the two where incompatible once Turbine took control of the EU servers. As it stands Turbine still have not found a way to remedy this but they are looking into new tech to allow it. That however has nothing to do with the move of the EU server data back to the Netherlands, as you quite rightly say all that will do is reduce network lag for those of us who play in Europe.

So just to reiterate there are two things happening here.

1, Turbine are moving the EU server datacenters back to mainland Europe

2, They are working on allowing players from old EU servers (the ones listed) to be able to transfer to what we call the NA servers prior to Turbine taking full control of their game and vice-versa.
    Last edited by Ellemere; Jan 11 2015 at 02:58 PM.

You dont quite understand the issue here, and are confusing two things that are happening. The reason we cannot have EU-NA transfers is due to how Codemasters stored our data as a result the two where incompatible once Turbine took control of the EU servers. As it stands Turbine still have not found a way to remedy this but they are looking into new tech to allow it. That however has nothing to do with the move of the EU server data back to the Netherlands, as you quite rightly say all that will do is reduce network lag for those of us who play in Europe.

So just to reiterate there are two things happening here.

1, Turbine are moving the EU server datacenters back to mainland Europe

2, They are working on allowing old EU servers (the ones listed) to be able to transfer to what we call the NA servers prior to Turbine taking full control of their game.
    Ellemere, you are amazing and thank you for initiating this thread. It was clearly needed.

What I find frustrating is that, yet again, a customer/player is stepping in and doing something that Turbine should have done from the start (yes, Frelorn, I'm looking at you as CM).

2, They are working on allowing players from old EU servers (the ones listed) to be able to transfer to what we call the NA servers prior to Turbine taking full control of their game and vice-versa.
    Has this changed from where I believe Athena said this was a mistake and it wasn't actually possible? That this was an error and the technology of moving people between EU and NA servers was essentially not going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne View Post
    My apologies on some incorrect information I posted yesterday. We may still be limited in our ability to transfer EU characters to NA servers and vice versa due to some data discrepancies. We are looking to see if that is something we can resolve in this transition, but it does not look likely. However you can always start new characters on any server. This is only a problem with transfers.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    Has this changed from where I believe Athena said this was a mistake and it wasn't actually possible? That this was an error and the technology of moving people between EU and NA servers was essentially not going to happen?
    They still say that there is a slim chance they can get it to work but its more than lileky not going to be possible. As she says in that quote they are still looking into it.

One thought about the mechanics of moving kinships...

If you've ever copied a character to Bullroarer you may recall seeing a "Your kinship has been disbanded" message. I think it will be much simpler for Turbine to code a way to preserve the kin membership if your kinship already exists on the target server. Something like the kin leader has to move first (and leadership transfers to the next in line on the source server). After the leader moves, all members who transfer will be assigned to the matching kin that now already exists.

Much easier to do something like this than it would be to design a mass move. Nobody gets dragged along with the leader, you just need to know where your kin is moving to.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Here is a question I have not seen asked or answered (if possible)

Do I have to transfer all of my characters to the same server to keep all of my stuff? (like Mithril Coins, shared storage, etc...)
    Here is what I mean... Say I am on low pop server A, which is going to be shut down, and I transfer character X to one of the recommended servers... Will all of my stuff transfer with character X? Now what if I transfer character Y to a different server... Does that character get all of the same stuff that character X got? Say I have 500 mithril coins... Does each transfer to a different server get 500 coins? or just the first?

The reason I ask is... What if I want to try out a server to see if I like it and I want to see what it is like closer to max level. I may not want to create a new character and grind it up, or I may not have the time to grind it up. So if I make a mistake and don't like the server I transferred to am I SOL?

Did I make any sense??? It's almost 2am here as I am posting this...
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwroten View Post
    Here is a question I have not seen asked or answered (if possible)

Do I have to transfer all of my characters to the same server to keep all of my stuff? (like Mithril Coins, shared storage, etc...)
    Here is what I mean... Say I am on low pop server A, which is going to be shut down, and I transfer character X to one of the recommended servers... Will all of my stuff transfer with character X? Now what if I transfer character Y to a different server... Does that character get all of the same stuff that character X got? Say I have 500 mithril coins... Does each transfer to a different server get 500 coins? or just the first?

The reason I ask is... What if I want to try out a server to see if I like it and I want to see what it is like closer to max level. I may not want to create a new character and grind it up, or I may not have the time to grind it up. So if I make a mistake and don't like the server I transferred to am I SOL?

Did I make any sense??? It's almost 2am here as I am posting this...
    You made a lot of sense and I'm laffing my #### off atm. Yeah that is an issue. If I move 2 of my Nimrodel toons to Arkenstone I won't have any more room on that server. So I could move them to Brandywine but would any marks transfer here? Could I double or triple the marks by splitting up into 3 servers or... even more?

I don't think this has anything to do with a character you create, though. Don't confuse the two or you'll confuse you and the rest of us.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    One thought about the mechanics of moving kinships...

If you've ever copied a character to Bullroarer you may recall seeing a "Your kinship has been disbanded" message. I think it will be much simpler for Turbine to code a way to preserve the kin membership if your kinship already exists on the target server. Something like the kin leader has to move first (and leadership transfers to the next in line on the source server). After the leader moves, all members who transfer will be assigned to the matching kin that now already exists.

Much easier to do something like this than it would be to design a mass move. Nobody gets dragged along with the leader, you just need to know where your kin is moving to.
    I hope they are thinking along these lines.

They need to open BR just for this, for some time.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Didn't want this to drop off the main page but until they give us some more details it is still all we have. Still seems to be a lot on confusion over what is actually happening.

I just can't help but think..... why does the transfer have to be in an upward direction (low server to high)?

I think that, on the whole, the game has a large enough player base to bring life to some of the "dying" servers, while alleviating pressure on those most overwhelmingly full. Perhaps by... incentivising transfers to servers with the lower populations (most likely way to do this would be reducing the transfer cost to servers below a certain threshold).

Now, while it's probably against the laws of nature to mention another game as a point of comparison, I'm reminded that Guild Wars 2 has done this in the past, lowering transfer costs to mid-population servers, and drastically lowering them to low-pop servers (on at least one such occasion, the latter were actually free).

In any event, wouldn't this also be a workable alternative? Spreading the population distribution among all the servers, instead of asking people to move only to busy servers?
    (I should probably change this to a real sig now, but I'm busy playing LotRO.)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_Darkwood View Post
    I just can't help but think..... why does the transfer have to be in an upward direction (low server to high)?

I think that, on the whole, the game has a large enough player base to bring life to some of the "dying" servers, while alleviating pressure on those most overwhelmingly full. Perhaps by... incentivising transfers to servers with the lower populations (most likely way to do this would be reducing the transfer cost to servers below a certain threshold).

Now, while it's probably against the laws of nature to mention another game as a point of comparison, I'm reminded that Guild Wars 2 has done this in the past, lowering transfer costs to mid-population servers, and drastically lowering them to low-pop servers (on at least one such occasion, the latter were actually free).

In any event, wouldn't this also be a workable alternative? Spreading the population distribution among all the servers, instead of asking people to move only to busy servers?
    The purpose of server consolidation is usually to reduce the cost of overhead. Allowing players to spread out onto the lower-population servers would be counter to this goal.
    [COLOR=gold][B]Felandrond -[/B] [COLOR=yellowgreen]65 LM - Hero of the Lost[/COLOR][B], Freawald -[/B] [COLOR=yellowgreen]65 Hunter[/COLOR][B], Fredabrand -[/B] [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]51 Burglar[B][COLOR=#ffd700], Falandadan [/COLOR][/B]- 62 Warden[COLOR=#ffd700][B], Fellstaff -[/B] [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]65 Rune-Keeper[COLOR=#ffd700][B], Freadwulf -[/B] [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]47 Captain[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    As long as EU players can still play on NA servers, we're good
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Ellemere, here's some recent news from Vy to add to your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne View Post
    I would like to allow people to start migrating to the higher population servers for free before the transfer improvements are added, for those that wish to do so and aim to do that soon. I am just doing some double checking on concerns about overcrowding before I do so. Even if you move before improvements are made, your account items will remain on the old server to be moved when that comes available, so that is not the concern. We just have not moved the larger worlds over to their new hardware and data center yet, so we want to make sure we are not going to make performance worse before that happens by encouraging a mass migration.

Expect some updates from me on transfers in the next week.

-Vyv
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 105 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/105 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/62 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Ellemere, here's some recent news from Vy to add to your list.
    Updated it thankyou very kindly.

This thread is a great idea, keep updating it
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast