Hopefully this thread can shed some light on the common misconceptions and just downright false information being touted both ingame and on the forums. It should clear up a lot of things peole are asking and will save you hunting the forums for answers.
Whats is happening - the EU server move.
Turbine are moving the EU servers to the Netherlands, to assist in reducing ping times and hopefully reducing latency. With the possibility of improved and newer hardware.
The EU servers are as follows.
All that is happening here is that the data will be transferred and service will be as normal. No takeover of service by Codemasters or any other third party. (This seems to be a huge concern on Eldar at least and the source of a lot of misinformation).
The above move has nothing to do with the consolidation to take place at a later date other than perhaps the newer hardware will better be able to cope with the increased amounts of people on the servers they move to.
- As of 26.01.2015 the server list on the launcher has been updated so that each server is listed either [EU] or [US] to reflect their location in preperation for the move.
Whats Happening - Playerbase Consolidation
This is where it gets tricky, with the limited information we have rumours and misinformation are abound.
What we know
- Servers will not be merged and their will be no forced data merge
- Players will have their choice of which server to move to
- Some servers are likely to close but only after a large grace period and even then the characters will still be available for transfer
- There is a preliminary list of servers likely to close but that is not set in stone and is subject to change
- As of 26.01.15 NA-EU Transfers and vice versa will not happen, this is a definate.
- Cross Server chat/grouping is a no go
- If your server is ever closed, you will always have the option to move characters from that server to another open world for free. But transfers between already high populated worlds may not remain free, as we do not want to encourage a constant hoping back and forth between servers.
- Transfers to the higher population servers will start sooner rather than later, for those that wish to move before the transfer improvements are added.
- Even if you move before improvements are made, your account items will remain on the old server to be moved when that comes available.
- As for character items, we are working on making sure everything your character or account has will move with you. There may be some edge-case items that will come out in testing, but we will have a clear listing of what those items are.
- This effort also includes upgraded hardware and a move to a better location for internet traffic for the US servers.
- From the Q&A with Frelorn on 15.01.2015 - But again, we want the best experience possible for all of our players. If that means bringing more of you together... Sometimes we need to be reminded that MMO means massively multiplayer online, and we see a lot of complaints of “I like being on the low pop server” or “I like being all by myself.” Well, as much as we would like to give everyone the exact experience that they want individually, we have to look at what's best for the whole and not just the individual. We try our best to balance it, but that would be impossible. I challenge you to show me any game that has done that. So if the majority of people want more player base that's what we are going to get them.
- New Launcher service: We are changing our character and account transfer service to occur in the game launcher itself. No longer will you need to find a website to conduct a transfer. You just have to launch the game and go from there!
- Account transfer: This new checkbox in the Server Transfer interface will allow the transfer of all account level items from one server to another. These items include the following:
o Account Shared Currency (Mithril Coins & Skirmish )
o Shared Storage
o Housing Storage
- Kinship transfer: We are working on a system to transfer some of your kinship information data to the new server. More details as this feature develops.
- Naming Priorities: One of the main concerns is of players keeping their names. We are looking into a change in the way name conflicts are handled to give priority to the active characters. More details as this feature develops.
- You will note that we have now labeled all worlds on the launcher with their region. However, there is no restrictions on where you might start a new character and play based on your physical location, so feel free to try out new worlds in which ever region you feel most comfortable.
- We aim to have this new service available in early spring this year with beta testing on Bullroarer before that time. We hope that you will join us to give feedback and stress tests to this all new and improved aspect of our service!
- For splitting your characters between destination worlds, you will need to choose which one gets all the account items. We can only send the account data to one world.
- There will be an overflow if destination inventory is full
- Housing questions: More details on the changes to that system as we get closer to finalizing design on it, same for Name conflicts.
- You will be able to choose which world each of your characters goes to individually or select all the characters on one world and send them all to the other world of your choosing at once.
- 12.02.15 - Twitch Feed - There is still no information to give us regarding which servers will close and which will be opened up for transfers.
- They want to make sure everything is working first and that they can do it with as few issues as possible.
- Progress is coming along on both the new transfer from launcher feature as well as new hardware setups. Hopefully in a week or two we can post more details on the new server transfer features such as the multiple character moves, the guild disband and re-formation and naming conflict changes.
- we have at least a couple more months before all of this gets underway. I wanted to get the transfers started towards the closer end of that, but then based on feedback and research into performance concerns, have decided to wait until we have our new hardware in place so as not to cause undue stress on already highly populated worlds.
- For those concerned about notice for server closures. We will be providing at least a couple months notice for players on which servers might close before that happens.
Hopefully this clear up some of the confusion about what is happening. I know it has helped my kin as i explained it to them.