We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

6 Man Pelargir Walkthrough

Hello All,

I have created a walkthrough of how to complete the side quests and the main Pelargir 6 Man Epic Battle (this write-up is for the 6 man only ... although many of the principals and strategies work for the 1 and 2 man version). You will need to be rank 3 or higher to ensure success (higher the better).

Unfortunately the forums here will not allow me to post the number of pictures that are needed to illustrate how to run this.

Main Walkthrough:

6 Man Pelargir Walkthrough - Hosted on the Rare Breed Kin website due to the number of pictures being limited on the LOTRO forums.

Additional Write-ups:

Epic Battles (Menu Screens) - This runs through the basics of the menu screens.

Epic Battles (Catapults - How To) - This walks you through all the info about catapults and how to use them.

Helm's Dike - Solo/Duo Platinum (How To). This is hosted on the Rare Breed kin website due to the number of pictures being limited on the LOTRO forums..

Deeping Wall Walkthrough (12 Man) - This is a walkthrough of the instance, side quests, and strategies for Platinum.

Vanguard Guide - This explains the Vanguard trait line.

Epic Battle - Side Quest Order

Considerations:

1) I know I am not a Photoshop expert ... so let's keep the comments down about that.

2) I put a lot of hard work in to creating these ... If you chose to use my maps, screenshots, or write-up; please credit me accordingly.

3) There are MANY ways to run these successfully ... my write-up is NOT meant to be the ONLY way. Experiment and have fun.

4) I welcome any feedback you may have.

DADI - MENELDOR SERVER || RAREBREED OFFICER
    Last edited by Proudcdn; Jun 23 2015 at 08:51 PM.
    Dadi / Tyrlas - Arkenstone (Leader - Rare Breed Kin)
    dadislotroguides.com

Nice guide. Thanks for your efforts : )

A tip for maximizing DPS: Engineer Rank 6 who max the Trap Potency can put traps that cause a 30%-incoming-damage debuff for a good duration.

Be carefull of the side-quest half-troll boss: his AoE can kill low-health NPCs, so remember to heal them up.

I'm not sure about Vanguard. Players need to kill mobs in order to have the buff proc or killstreak to use (depending on which sub-role they focus on: Killstreak or self-buff), while they need to focus DPS on side-quest boss.

Officer should save commands until the boss appear. Spam all the command and put a Mark Target on the boss to add even more DPS.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

I've logged in to play in CA,TX,GA,DC,IL,MN,ID,OR,NV
    After the winch/gate is protected and while Aragorn's army marches in, most players will be standing around in front of the gate waiting for Elrohir (or whichever brother it is) to go down. On solo/due I usually stick around in front of the winch and watch the army come in while mounted, then when Elrohir starts running I'll ride forward -- that way I get a nice visual of how much of the army has marched in and how much longer I'll have to wait.

As soon as the gate opens, you have your engineer with dismantle maxed at 5 ranks riding forward on a horse to the ballista. Things are dismantled in the direction that you face, so if you face the butt end of the ballista and dismantle it, you'll end up with a box floating out in the air that you cannot reach. So race around to the side of the ballista and get it up then tear it down and take it downstairs. I recommend sending a healer because you can cast skills while you operate siege equipment and you can heal equipment, meaning healers can build faster than anyone else can. Once you've aquirred the catpult, you mount up again and ride downstairs, then set the catapult up to fire just ahead of the center of the gates. Set up your barriades appropriately -- this is a much better tactical choice to be shooting the catapult because you'll get more people on it. If you're maxed out on load/crank, and you have another person helping click buttons, the ballista circles literally take a fraction of a second to complete. Unlike a catapult, once you have a ballista aimed, you can just whip it off as fast as you can. If you keep the ballista up on the bridge, you cannot load a new shot until the previous shot hits and thus every shot will take longer since you're firing at something that's so far away.

Heck, if you have a couple really high DPS standing amidst spiked lengthwise barricades filled with traps, and an engineer with maxed dismantle (5 ranks) cutting grappling hooks, then you can just take the ballista and go set it up so that it's aiming at the spawn point of whatever you want to hit. The battle takes minutes to do each thing and if you're a great engineer then it's less than a minute to set up a ballista, aim, upgrade speed/damage, and move it for every big fight if you want. It's too slow to set up before you get a sidequest, but this lets you put one dps and a trap and an engineer with the ballista at one spawn point and send multiple people to cover another spawn point, if you want.

I don't see the point of Vanguard. It says that it triggers on killstreaks and damage taken. Well, I never really take any damage -- no matter what I do to the mobs they generally ignore me and go for the NPC's or banners. And I rarely get the actual kill because most NPC's get the killing blow, no matter how much damage I'm whipping out. I suppose a maxed 100 lore-master or champion could do enough damage to kill enemies in one shot and get the killstreak bonuses -- if you can get Vanguard working for you then that's great. Please tell us exactly what you do so that we can replicate it. Perhaps if i were to fight all the fights well away from any NPC's, but then my DPS isn't high enough for that.
    2017: 6 levels and an instance! As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    The battle takes minutes to do each thing and if you're a great engineer then it's less than a minute to set up a ballista, aim, upgrade speed/damage, and move it for every big fight if you want.
    Keep in mind in the 6-person Pelargir, you can't dismantle the ballista. It stays put.

As for the Vanguard, I run it quite often. Killstreaks build up very fast on my hunter, and with how I have it set up, I only have the first killstreak skill active. I max out the chance to earn bonus kills, so after one or two kills, i can pop the first skill (which is also maxed). This skill adds a 30% or so (maybe 40%) incoming damage debuff on about 11 enemies at once. I also have one of skills that has a chance to give a 30% damage buff on me after every hit. In Vanguard, you can also spend points to boost your base physical mastery percentage by 15 or so percent. And there are points you can spend to increase your run speed (which is fun). I can't say for sure all the percentages that it increases, but it is VERY obvious when one of the skills activated after an attack activate. I've gotten lucky after popping burn hot and got my +30 percent damage buff, I shot rain of arrows and dropped a whole crowd of enemies with every arrow doing about 18k damage. Vanguard isn't as useful as engineer or officer, but it has its uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    After the winch/gate is protected and while Aragorn's army marches in, most players will be standing around in front of the gate waiting for Elrohir (or whichever brother it is) to go down. On solo/due I usually stick around in front of the winch and watch the army come in while mounted, then when Elrohir starts running I'll ride forward -- that way I get a nice visual of how much of the army has marched in and how much longer I'll have to wait.

As soon as the gate opens, you have your engineer with dismantle maxed at 5 ranks riding forward on a horse to the ballista. Things are dismantled in the direction that you face, so if you face the butt end of the ballista and dismantle it, you'll end up with a box floating out in the air that you cannot reach. So race around to the side of the ballista and get it up then tear it down and take it downstairs. I recommend sending a healer because you can cast skills while you operate siege equipment and you can heal equipment, meaning healers can build faster than anyone else can. Once you've aquirred the catpult, you mount up again and ride downstairs, then set the catapult up to fire just ahead of the center of the gates. Set up your barriades appropriately -- this is a much better tactical choice to be shooting the catapult because you'll get more people on it. If you're maxed out on load/crank, and you have another person helping click buttons, the ballista circles literally take a fraction of a second to complete. Unlike a catapult, once you have a ballista aimed, you can just whip it off as fast as you can. If you keep the ballista up on the bridge, you cannot load a new shot until the previous shot hits and thus every shot will take longer since you're firing at something that's so far away.

Heck, if you have a couple really high DPS standing amidst spiked lengthwise barricades filled with traps, and an engineer with maxed dismantle (5 ranks) cutting grappling hooks, then you can just take the ballista and go set it up so that it's aiming at the spawn point of whatever you want to hit. The battle takes minutes to do each thing and if you're a great engineer then it's less than a minute to set up a ballista, aim, upgrade speed/damage, and move it for every big fight if you want. It's too slow to set up before you get a sidequest, but this lets you put one dps and a trap and an engineer with the ballista at one spawn point and send multiple people to cover another spawn point, if you want.

I don't see the point of Vanguard. It says that it triggers on killstreaks and damage taken. Well, I never really take any damage -- no matter what I do to the mobs they generally ignore me and go for the NPC's or banners. And I rarely get the actual kill because most NPC's get the killing blow, no matter how much damage I'm whipping out. I suppose a maxed 100 lore-master or champion could do enough damage to kill enemies in one shot and get the killstreak bonuses -- if you can get Vanguard working for you then that's great. Please tell us exactly what you do so that we can replicate it. Perhaps if i were to fight all the fights well away from any NPC's, but then my DPS isn't high enough for that.
    Thank you for the input but either you have not run the 6 man for which this writeup is for, or you are referring to the solo/duo. Your strategy with the ballista certainly pertains to the solo/duo. However, the other strategies will not fair well against the boss side quests that require full out DPS for less than 45 seconds. My experience has been that the bosses are dead before they are in range of the soldiers. If you are not killing them at the spawn spot you are likely not getting platinum.
    dadislotroguides.com

Quote Originally Posted by olanath View Post
    Keep in mind in the 6-person Pelargir, you can't dismantle the ballista. It stays put.
    Now that 5.1 went live, you cannot do that even in solo version anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilean-EU View Post
    Now that 15.1 went live, you cannot do that even in solo version anymore.
    Excellent to know. I have not yet done it solo since the update.
    dadislotroguides.com

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Nice guide. Thanks for your efforts : )

A tip for maximizing DPS: Engineer Rank 6 who max the Trap Potency can put traps that cause a 30%-incoming-damage debuff for a good duration.

Be carefull of the side-quest half-troll boss: his AoE can kill low-health NPCs, so remember to heal them up.
    Good points that I forgot to include. Updating now.
    dadislotroguides.com

I think there is a major hole in your walkthrough here:

Quote Originally Posted by Proudcdn View Post

Engineer / Officer / Vanguard?

This is a topic of great debate. I see most people traited as Engineer / Officer, and to be honest I think it is because many do not fully appreciate what Vanguard has to offer. Vanguard can really up the DPS of the player and the group; definitely worth looking in to. It (Vanguard) is a trait line well worth it for a battle like this that focuses on DPS.

Everyone will be in Engineer stance.
    Quoting myself from another thread for efficiency:

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzal View Post
    I was hoping to post something original here, but came to find other people had independently made some of the same adjustments we did. One night we failed every time to get the epic foes down quick enough (~1min). The next night, with one person vanguard maxed for rending bark and an engineer maxed for trap debuff strength (we also had a cappy), we were killing all of the foes in 30 sec or less (w/the exact same group). There were other minor strategy points and adjustments made, but those two specs made a huge difference. We replicated the success with all of our B and C list alts.

Right now I really like the difficulty level, if you're exceptionally geared you can blast through it with little difficultly. But a group that is not perfectly geared can compensate through coordination and specific promotion builds.

For most groups struggling, I'm assuming you may need to expand your mind and learn how to effectively use the vanguard tree for max effect against the epic foes.
    Bottom line, I'm really not sure it's a matter of great debate: heavily look into what vanguard does. One person with rending bark maxed will help a lot of groups get over the hump with the dps race epic foes.

I think there is a major hole in your walkthrough here:
    Not a hole at all. I state that Vanguard is suited well for this battle. I also state that it is definitely worth looking in to.

However, this is the only Big Battle worth using it for (perhaps Deeping Wall Raid too). And as such, most people will not spend the 100 Mithril Coins needed to unlock a third tab. Nor will they likely spend the cash to respec a tree every time they want to run this.

Personally I have 3 tabs (Engineer, Officer, Vanguard), each maxed out.
    dadislotroguides.com

Quote Originally Posted by Proudcdn View Post
    Not a hole at all. I state that Vanguard is suited well for this battle. I also state that it is definitely worth looking in to.

However, this is the only Big Battle worth using it for (perhaps Deeping Wall Raid too). And as such, most people will not spend the 100 Mithril Coins needed to unlock a third tab. Nor will they likely spend the cash to respec a tree every time they want to run this.

Personally I have 3 tabs (Engineer, Officer, Vanguard), each maxed out.
    I'm sorry if you felt defensive about it. I saw your statements at the top as more of a disclaimer that you wouldn't be including vanguard tips in the write-up. It felt more like a "you should look into it, but I'm not going to" vibe. For the level of detail you described the instance, the specific vanguard tips is what I felt was missing.

It is a matter of opinion that very few would respec for vanguard; I know many that when faced with the prospect of a lock for full-plat run vs. a gamble for it would spend the few silver coins it takes to respec. It only really takes 1 person to do it, but you also can't just throw points anywhere into the vanguard line and expect it to be effective for the specific objectives of the pelargir 6 man. Also there are specific moments vanguards should be looking to do certain things (i.e building killstreak during the winch, maxing rending bark for encounters, etc). Mentioning those encounters, you describe them as "mad dps races" with fairly specific use of traps, siege weapons and positioning; it certainly can be done in other ways that are quite effective.

I'm sorry if you felt defensive about it. I saw your statements at the top as more of a disclaimer that you wouldn't be including vanguard tips in the write-up. It felt more like a "you should look into it, but I'm not going to" vibe. For the level of detail you described the instance, the specific vanguard tips is what I felt was missing.

It is a matter of opinion that very few would respec for vanguard; I know many that when faced with the prospect of a lock for full-plat run vs. a gamble for it would spend the few silver coins it takes to respec. It only really takes 1 person to do it, but you also can't just throw points anywhere into the vanguard line and expect it to be effective for the specific objectives of the pelargir 6 man. Also there are specific moments vanguards should be looking to do certain things (i.e building killstreak during the winch, maxing rending bark for encounters, etc). Mentioning those encounters, you describe them as "mad dps races" with fairly specific use of traps, siege weapons and positioning; it certainly can be done in other ways that are quite effective.
    Definitely no offence taken at all.

I think I will do a Vanguard Write-up specifically and then link to it from within here. There is no real good info on it (at least that I can find).
    dadislotroguides.com

Starting to add in the maps and screenshots.
    dadislotroguides.com

I find that, after the winch, you can gain a few precious seconds if everyone runs up the steps and uses the rope. A couple of people can also help build the ballista.

I just discover that the Vanguard's skill which uses all 20 killstreak is extremely useful to deal with epic bosses.

I used it on the Minstrel boss, and discover that the skill immediately reduce the boss' max morale by 1/4 (it's say "Immune", but it is about the stun that the skill also causes). Very useful to start the fight, though you will want another Vanguard to use the 5-killstreak debuff on the boss.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

You're missing all the needed pictures. No one needs pictures for phase 1.
    "Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by lenny322000 View Post
    You're missing all the needed pictures. No one needs pictures for phase 1.
    I is a work in progress, and unfortunately LOTRO forums do not allow more than 5 pictures. It will be hosted on our kin site with a link to it from here very soon.
    dadislotroguides.com

Guide looks good, hopefully it will help me and my kin get platinum overall finally. Thanks for your hardwork. I just won 200 mithril coins from a gold hobbit present, so will be using 100 of those to buy the 3rd promotion tab to try vanguard.
    Last edited by lenny322000; Jan 07 2015 at 06:53 AM.
    "Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people wanting to be important." - T.S. Eliot

I have added my recommendations for Vanguard and the builds that make getting platinum much easier.
    dadislotroguides.com

If you have a red-line hunter in your group, then you can have him to take care of defending the ballista and the backdoor, freeing up one slot for the main fight during Stage 2.

Requirement:
    -Red-line hunter for their 40m range. Red-line Minstrel seems good too for 35m range, but I have not tested yet.
    -Set your Object Distance View to Very High so that you can see the mob below the backdoor.
    -Set tripwire trap at the backdoor's entrance. Better to have max trap trigger, trapp potency and tripwire duration. Tripwire will stun mobs so that you can kill them before they damage the supplies, potentially destroying them and lowering total merit. Remember to add more tripwire when the cooldown is done.
    -Build the ballista and stand very near the edge of the staircase leading to the ballista area. From there, you can shoot at mobs emerging from the back door
    -Mobs from ballista, for some reason, always target the hunter, even torch-bearer, so you can concentrate on the backdoor until the ballista mobs are cleared. They don't need to be tripwired.

Anyone know for sure what the new timer is on the Side Bosses?
    dadislotroguides.com

Anyone? We keep killing them in less than 45s and I don't want to waste the Plat to find out
    dadislotroguides.com

So where is the second catapult (the one that had its speed/damage upgraded) pointing in Phase 4? To the middle where the mobs are coming up the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnok-2011 View Post
    So where is the second catapult (the one that had its speed/damage upgraded) pointing in Phase 4? To the middle where the mobs are coming up the wall?
    I guess I did leave that out. We typically use it to shoot the mobs below to speed up the start of the side quest and again after ghosts come (to spawn Zagarôth).
    dadislotroguides.com

Sounds like they are fixing the Marks for many of the BBs
    dadislotroguides.com