We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    Rift handles this by making most Chronicles duo instances with a few that are specifically designed solo. Well geared or versed players can do the content solo though, but usually they start off with people duoing them. There are a few chronicle challenge modes that really need two players as well so while you can do them solo the challenge mode really needs two people (e.g.: someone has to perform an action while the other keeps the mobs aggro'd or some similar mechanic).

Using skirmish tech and soldiers here would be a great middle ground. Instead of designing the instances solo, design them duo, allow the use of skirmish soldiers or players. If two players go then it would be easier and faster. If someone wants to solo with a companion (in EQ2 we call this going "molo") then it could be possible, but more challenging and slower than duo. If someone wants a real challenge and doesn't want to pair up or use their soldier, then they could go solo. Designing the content duo would leave a lot more flexibility.

The content doesn't have to be designed to solo, but just allow a reasonable possibility for that.
    On the subject of Rift and different paths to acquiring end game gear:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09...-endgame-gear/

Just shows what other MMOs are doing in this regard, not so much regarding the specifics of Rift, but that players can have different paths to the same rewards.
    <A sig goes here>

As far as the suggestion to offer solo instances balanced by armor type, even that wouldn't be enough, because it's not just a simple problem of balance between heavy, medium and light type, but also between classes within each type. For instance when doing something like PotD my champ in aoe mode can pull half a dozen or more mobs in hit a couple heal skills and have them all dead in a few seconds, but by the time my captain has chewed through a couple of the big mobs, I've already got more mobs on me. Captain is great in group, but solo takes forever to do make the same progress as champ.

I've also had the similar experience between my LM and RK. The two are almost polar opposites in terms of survivability when there are groups of mobs to deal with. (at least for me). My LM can solo up to 5 or 6 of the corsairs on the warehouse island, and I can deal with 1 at a time in TC or 2 using stuns. There's no way I'd be able to handle even half that many with RK without serious kiting, and even that only if I don't get range mobs on me.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3]The Haruchai and The Elohim[/SIZE]
    Barabolas - 100 Champ | Gilgaros - 100 LM | Findheleth - 100 Cappy | Thaswin - 100 Burg | Nimbreleth - 100 RK

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerdude2010 View Post
    As far as the suggestion to offer solo instances balanced by armor type, even that wouldn't be enough, because it's not just a simple problem of balance between heavy, medium and light type, but also between classes within each type. For instance when doing something like PotD my champ in aoe mode can pull half a dozen or more mobs in hit a couple heal skills and have them all dead in a few seconds, but by the time my captain has chewed through a couple of the big mobs, I've already got more mobs on me. Captain is great in group, but solo takes forever to do make the same progress as champ.

I've also had the similar experience between my LM and RK. The two are almost polar opposites in terms of survivability when there are groups of mobs to deal with. (at least for me). My LM can solo up to 5 or 6 of the corsairs on the warehouse island, and I can deal with 1 at a time in TC or 2 using stuns. There's no way I'd be able to handle even half that many with RK without serious kiting, and even that only if I don't get range mobs on me.
    I don't get the example here. Hypothetical instances by class/armor/role would be designed with these sorts of things in mind. If they were just stuffed full of the standard zerg enemies currently inhabiting solo content then they wouldn't be the new kind of instances being proposed,

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    On the subject of Rift and different paths to acquiring end game gear:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09...-endgame-gear/

Just shows what other MMOs are doing in this regard, not so much regarding the specifics of Rift, but that players can have different paths to the same rewards.
    It's interesting and I'm keeping my eye on this. They still primarily develop progression around raiding so it will be interesting to see how this goes. To me it says there is a significant revenue stream from multiple demographics and they want to keep people playing and money flowing in. I'm curious how it will work out in reality.

FROM OP - ""Furthermore, and perhaps I am screaming "The Emperor has no clothes!", but why aren't we fighting with Frodo in Mt. Doom? It has been 7 years since the product was released and we aren't through the Two Towers. Really? I know and understand that a software development life cycle has to take place, the economy tanking years ago, and layoffs within your staff have hurt the game but 7 years later and no Mt. Doom?""

Exactly. I have been playing this game from day 1. I actually played in beta. So I guess we are at 7.5 years? Getting close to 8? I think it is about time we get to the end. Its time to see Mordor. Would be nice to see the Lonely Mountain as well. But at this rate we might not even see it if this game gets run into the ground as it seems to be going. So, PLEASE, whoever is in charge, Turbine or WB, get your stuff together and actually do something. Oh, and for the love of god, would you revamp HOUSING!

*Reads entire thread, hoping to see something other than what I'm expecting from the OP*

*Shakes my head realizing what a vain hope that was*

Nope, no surprises here. *moves on to other threads*
    [B][I]"It is an enormous task to convince them that evil people with evil intentions will commit evil deeds." - Strider

End-Game Content according to Tolkien: Frodo sails into the West.
    [/I][/B]

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21