We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 506
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post

    Actually there is something wrong with that. You can get banned for that. So quiet obviously, Turbine would prefer that you not take a break from the game.
    What? You can get banned for not playing? Taking a break from the game?

    Am I missing something here? I've never heard of this rule.

    What happens is a PC breaks down, or a player is ill?
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    What? You can get banned for not playing? Taking a break from the game?

    Am I missing something here? I've never heard of this rule.

    What happens is a PC breaks down, or a player is ill?
    I think he means from the forums, there is a rule that if you've stopped playing but continue to say... make trouble, then they ban you... from the forums. Not from the game.

    edit: although actually read in context, ive no idea what they meant!

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    That is your point? The OP was saying, specifically, that he didn't like the current options. So telling him that there are, after he already addressed that there were, seems rather... What.. argumentative?
    I think you are missing what I was responding to. I was responding to...

    That's a really nice event, I suppose but that seems like a player generated activity. The way I see it, the game - as in not player generated events such as role playing, concerts, parties, etc- doesn't have much to offer right now for level capped players beyond doing dailies, doing warbands and crafting.
    It seems to me to be... talking out both sides of your mouth... to say that "the game doesn't have much to offer right now for level capped characters"... then later describe all that there is to do... say you don't really like the choices offered... and then try to (again) claim there either isn't much to do or much offered.

    So, it is either...

    A) There is a good bit to do, but *you* (generic you) don't like what is offered.

    or

    B) There are not many things to do offered.

    I can see A being an honest answer and we can have a real conversation about that. If someone honestly tries to tell me that there isn't much to do, then that is dishonest. Again, there clearly is a wide variety of choices... *you* (generic) just don't like what is offered... but for some reason can't be honest enough to say that.

    The only official comment we've had as to why turbine hasn't invested in new instances is because the totally number of "raiders" make up less that 10% of the player population and story, not grouping content, was the current focus and would remain so. So you're just making that other part up, or violating your NDA as a PC member. Please let us know which.
    I'll thank you for making my point for me even though you probably don't realize it. And also ask you to stop with the obvious attempt to "bait" a PC member...

    (For argument's sake) If only 10% of the players are regularly using a certain part of the game, wouldn't that make you hesitant to invest in something that has shown itself to not have the greatest return on that investment? That doesn't mean you would totally ignore it, but you would probably not put as much energy into it until you feel it is worth more investment.

    The thing, though... again... is as I said... if you look at the wealth of instances/raids already in the game and consider how many of them are/were regularly run... and how often... and yet people complain they don't have much to do when they are actively choosing NOT to do certain things (for any number of reasons).

    (Posted by Bucko)
    3. And the only reason specific old instances are farmed is because the loots system needs an overhaul, which has been highlighted on this forum over and over.
    We can get into the reasons... an off-balance loot system is a major reason... but, even if the loot system was fixed up the way it should be... I think we would still find only a handful of instances/raids being run consistently. And, those instances would be the ones that are the "path of least resistance" to the loot people want. Sure, the "dagger" from Helegrod might have the stats on it I want, but if I can get a comparable "dagger" from (say) running Thadur and be satisfied with that... which instance is the average player more likely to do? I'll give you 100 guesses and the first 99 don't count.
    [i]Nothing can seem extraordinary until you have discovered what is ordinary.[/i] - C.S. Lewis
    =
    [i]Saruman believes it is only great power that keeps evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things... the actions of ordinary folk... that keeps the darkness at bay.[/i] - Gandalf

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    2. The reason why the Erebor instances--at least the 12 man raids (the Dale 6 man is ok) are not that popular is because they are not proper raids. BfE consists of one map, walk through a door and face two trolls and some mobs. Flight consists of one map, fight an seemingly endless series of mobs. And don't get me started on Smaug. The reason those are not that popular are because it is painfully obvious that not much went into making them. Compare that instance cluster to that of ToO and I think you get the general idea of what consists of a proper raid cluster. And ToO was probably the last time this game has seen a decent raid cluster.
    Just as an aside... the 12-man raids aren't the only instances in that cluster. There are 3 3-mans and 1 6-man that aren't run very much.

    Those instances all saw good use before Turbine fixed the First Ager bug and everyone had their gems to make the gold rings... after that... "What is Erebor? is that the name of your cat?"
    [i]Nothing can seem extraordinary until you have discovered what is ordinary.[/i] - C.S. Lewis
    =
    [i]Saruman believes it is only great power that keeps evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things... the actions of ordinary folk... that keeps the darkness at bay.[/i] - Gandalf

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Garatha View Post
    "having to respec your character almost every time you log into the game"

    Either you very rarely log in, or we're playing different games. I've had to respect when an expansion came out. It was pretty short, as I'd done a screenshot of each of my characters' specs
    I log into Lotro every 2 to 3 weeks, I have to in order get my stipend since I am a founder and lifetime account holder. Evey time I log in I have to either respec my character or re-do all my legacies. Perhaps this is a glitch, but the server I play on Nimrodel is a ghost town. The kinship I am in once numbered into the 100's of players actively playing at any given time. Now it is lucky to see more than 3 people playing at any given time. When I asked other member of our kin in Teamspeak, why they do not play lotro as much or at all. The most common answer is "sick of having to redo my character all the time". It is frustrating to get everything set, then have it all undone over an over again.

    Lucky you if you have not run into this problem or perhaps it is you that is playing a different game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000001a3e1/01000/signature.png]Merlik[/charsig]

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by xsile View Post
    I log into Lotro every 2 to 3 weeks, I have to in order get my stipend since I am a founder and lifetime account holder. Evey time I log in I have to either respec my character or re-do all my legacies. Perhaps this is a glitch, but the server I play on Nimrodel is a ghost town. The kinship I am in once numbered into the 100's of players actively playing at any given time. Now it is lucky to see more than 3 people playing at any given time. When I asked other member of our kin in Teamspeak, why they do not play lotro as much or at all. The most common answer is "sick of having to redo my character all the time". It is frustrating to get everything set, then have it all undone over an over again.

    Lucky you if you have not run into this problem or perhaps it is you that is playing a different game.
    You are experiencing a bug, submit a report. I have never had to respec my characters except for after a few updates.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Depends on how it's changed. Adding better chances of loot in t2 would work - people who like the tougher content would have incentive to run it. People who struggle with harder content will still have t1, but will have to run it a lot more often for the same kind of yield.

    Removing loot from t1 or making it insignificant wouldn't work. People who like tougher content would run their t2's, people who struggle with it would do nothing. Hence, less instances would be run.
    My solution is adding supreme essences to T2C, number of them is dependant on the instance difficulty. OD/BG/ the difficult ones=3, Fornost/Smaug/ the middle ones=2, SH/Sambrog/the easy ones=1. Then add maybe a special rare drop to each raid. Like a special gauntlent to OD and a cloak to Helegrod etc
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    I think you are missing what I was responding to. I was responding to.. It seems to me to be... talking out both sides of your mouth... to say that "the game doesn't have much to offer right now for level capped characters"... then later describe all that there is to do... say you don't really like the choices offered... and then try to (again) claim there either isn't much to do or much offered.
    Well ya there's all kinds of things you can do at level cap. You can:

    Jump.
    Walk around in a circle
    Pan your camera back and forth
    Send tells to people.
    Talk in OOC.
    Take advantage of the plethora of emotes available to us.
    Swim Evendim, taking different routes, trying to find the fastest way across.

    So yes, I too, find all kinds of things we can do at level cap that the OP hasn't mentioned. How disingenuous of him.


    So, it is either...

    A) There is a good bit to do, but *you* (generic you) don't like what is offered.

    or

    B) There are not many things to do offered.

    I can see A being an honest answer and we can have a real conversation about that. If someone honestly tries to tell me that there isn't much to do, then that is dishonest. Again, there clearly is a wide variety of choices... *you* (generic) just don't like what is offered... but for some reason can't be honest enough to say that.
    These are forums, in them, they are here for the customer to provide his or her opinion on something. This is a given. Since his name isn't blue on the forums, you can be safe to assume that what he is saying is OPINION. Understand? So yes, he's giving his opinion. It's one that is shared by many other people.

    I'll thank you for making my point for me even though you probably don't realize it. And also ask you to stop with the obvious attempt to "bait" a PC member...
    I wasn't baiting. You made a claim, and I asked you to prove it. And your non-denial denial here seems to close that case just fine.

    So from here, after we've shown that you don't seem to understand how forums work, and the fact that you LIED outright, I'm just gonna cut you off here. I'd suggest you discontinue trolling those that play in a manner you don't approve of.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by xsile View Post
    I log into Lotro every 2 to 3 weeks, I have to in order get my stipend since I am a founder and lifetime account holder.

    People need to stop spreading this information about having to log in every month to get your Turbine points. That is not, and NEVER has been the case. What there was was a certain event where subscribers needed to log in at least once a month BEFORE F2P started to get (I believe) BONUS Turbine points. But there is no need anymore for subscribers to actually log into the game to get their points, from what I can see. My wife has not logged in for about at least a year now. I just had her log into her account, and there are point grants for the past two month showing in her history. The history only show 60 days back, but she has well over 11,000 points, so yeah, I'm VERY sure you don't have to log in to get them.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    (For argument's sake) If only 10% of the players are regularly using a certain part of the game, wouldn't that make you hesitant to invest in something that has shown itself to not have the greatest return on that investment? That doesn't mean you would totally ignore it, but you would probably not put as much energy into it until you feel it is worth more investment.


    Turbine has asked that we all forget the whole 10% thing, which in itself became a PR nightmare. Maybe you should just drop it, too--even if it is "only for argument's sake"




    The thing, though... again... is as I said... if you look at the wealth of instances/raids already in the game and consider how many of them are/were regularly run... and how often... and yet people complain they don't have much to do when they are actively choosing NOT to do certain things (for any number of reasons).

    You are clearly missing the overall point here. If all that is on offer are old instances/raids and the loot system is broken and truly uninspired--then yes, people will resort to only doing specific, least resistance instances. Back when ToO was in full swing, I never once saw a call for Sambrog in global chat. EVER. Get the point?
    Back when ToO was in full swing the game still operated on a multi-barter token system. If you wanted specific stuff, you had to be willing to go get it from a specific instance. As soon as the game changed over to "one currency to rule them all", Sambrog became the name of the game.
    Even in RoR when there was still a reasonable amount of itemization tied into specific instances, there wasn't a whole lot of variety of instances run because 99% of what you needed could be gotten from 1 place...

    So, unless Turbine goes back to truly spreading the loot to each instance/raid... and makes it worthwhile to go get that loot... any *new* instances released will see the same fate. As soon as people figure out that Sambrog still gives them what they want easier than the new instances... unless the new instances give them something they can't get anywhere else.

    FYI... I am with you and understand clearly the points you are making. The point I am making is that unless there are dramatic changes on the "loot" front... Turbine could release 1000 new instances/raids and people would only run a select few... leaving us right back where we are now.

    So, while people say they want new instances... and rightfully so... the real problem is the lack of "stuff" worth getting from anywhere but Sambrog. Sadly, I think the "one currency to rule them all" move would be almost impossible to roll back now because of how embedded marks/meds/seals are into the overall "economy" of the game.
    [i]Nothing can seem extraordinary until you have discovered what is ordinary.[/i] - C.S. Lewis
    =
    [i]Saruman believes it is only great power that keeps evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things... the actions of ordinary folk... that keeps the darkness at bay.[/i] - Gandalf

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    would be almost impossible to roll back now because of how embedded marks/meds/seals are into the overall "economy" of the game.
    There is nothing too embedded in this game that cannot be undone. This just very recently took away alot of the capabilities our classes had, and you don't get much more embedded than that. If they weathered the storm of class changes, they can weather rolling back loot systems, or LI's, or whatever else they've done over the years.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Well ya there's all kinds of things you can do at level cap. You can:

    Jump.
    Walk around in a circle
    Pan your camera back and forth
    Send tells to people.
    Talk in OOC.
    Take advantage of the plethora of emotes available to us.
    Swim Evendim, taking different routes, trying to find the fastest way across.

    So yes, I too, find all kinds of things we can do at level cap that the OP hasn't mentioned. How disingenuous of him.




    These are forums, in them, they are here for the customer to provide his or her opinion on something. This is a given. Since his name isn't blue on the forums, you can be safe to assume that what he is saying is OPINION. Understand? So yes, he's giving his opinion. It's one that is shared by many other people.



    I wasn't baiting. You made a claim, and I asked you to prove it. And your non-denial denial here seems to close that case just fine.

    So from here, after we've shown that you don't seem to understand how forums work, and the fact that you LIED outright, I'm just gonna cut you off here. I'd suggest you discontinue trolling those that play in a manner you don't approve of.
    I see the plight of people who have played for a long time and want something new. But, the point made by some, that there is still plenty to do, still stands for many many players. There is no wrong or right opinion on this, they are just different opinions.

    I for example like to complete things on two of my chars. That is going to keep me busy for a very long time - and I do understand that this kind of play is not everyone's cup of tea. I also have many many instances and raids to complete in Challenge mode still and a heap of meta-deeds. I still have chars that haven't completed their secondary crafts, hidden title runs - and tons of other little things in game.

    To suggest (even through sarcasm) that all that is left to do is walk around, swim a bit etc is amusing, but not true There are things to do. Whether or not they are to your taste or not though is another matter. Nothing at all wrong with it if they aren't - but they are there.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Aug 31 2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typos
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    This. I can't claim to know much about coding, etc. but I can't see there being that much work into altering the loot system. Most of the work is already done (again, I'm assuming). Turbine has several options available, but it looks like they are putting minimum input in, so they can't really wonder when threads like this exist. According to folks that have been in BR to check out update 14.2, it looks like they took the FA symbol out of T1 instances. Again, Turbine themselves are going the route of least resistance and not being creative about the loot system at all.

    We have numerous instance clusters throughout Middle Earth. I imagine it would take little effort to run promotional events that run a month at a time. For example, during a certain month people who complete 3-man X and 6-man Y and 12-man Z on T2C a certain amount of times will automatically get a gold drop (helmet, chest piece and legging). The combined armour will give a bonus depending on your class. Turbine could do this once a quarter and switch the focus to a different instance cluster each time and alternate the set pieces. One quarter it could be SH, SG and BG. The other quarter is could be the Erebor cluster and on and on.

    For those that don't like running T2C stuff, have the gold items drop in T1 but double the number of times you have to do it. Put daily locks on those particular instances (you can run them as much as you want, but your tally for the number of times you complete them will be daily).

    This is just one example. This gives folks something else to do besides the daily grind of DA. This gets people grouping up more. This gets people doing instances and raids that they haven't done before (Sari Suma, Lost Temple, etc.)
    I am not sure I agree with doing it this way. If you look at how people have reacted to Epic Battles being on a daily system, the instances that still use locks of some sort tend to be largely ignored. Again, why would someone want to go a certain instance that has locks when they can get reasonable/comparable loot from a different place that can be farmed ad-infinitude and has no locks.

    Also, while I get the gist of your idea... you would only end up creating a "forced flavor-of-the-month" type situation. Instead of truly creating incentive to want to run instances A thru Z, you would be pushing people in one direction against their natural desires.

    What needs to be done is that... instead of nerfing an instance like Sambrog... the rewards for completing harder stuff needs to be increased or the quality made better to the point where people want to add variety to their routine.

    Simply going back to what we had in RoR would be an improvement... with specific items dropping in specific places... especially the "gold" gear. That gives people positive motivation to look for other instances besides Sambrog.
    [i]Nothing can seem extraordinary until you have discovered what is ordinary.[/i] - C.S. Lewis
    =
    [i]Saruman believes it is only great power that keeps evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things... the actions of ordinary folk... that keeps the darkness at bay.[/i] - Gandalf

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    Right now on Landroval there is a MASSIVE chicken run going on, just for fun. http://www.twitch.tv/lotro_abby Things like this are not uncommon.

    So when you say "There's nothing to do" what you really mean is "None of the things that are available to do are things -I- want to do" which is much more truthful.

    There's nothing wrong with taking a break from a game, you know. If you are bored, play something else. No one will be offended if you do not play a game that you have nothing you want to do in.

    For me, however, there is plenty to do in this game. Enough to do that I have to force myself NOT to play as often/much as I want to. I could stay in game all day and find things to do with no problem.

    I am very optimistic about the future of this game. There are a lot of passionate people behind the code, and I'm happy to see how things are developing.


    7 year old content available from level 6?

    have fun...

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oregon Country
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    The point to all of this I think is that an MMO cannot survive if all there is to do is complete meta deeds from previous expansions, secondary crafting and gathering titles. If you want there to be a game so that you can do those things you enjoy, there has to be a better balance. I think that is all anyone is saying.
    Except the balance suggestions seem to go along the lines of making it really grindy and long for anyone not running T2 and not available at all if you don't raid. That doesn't seem very balanced either.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oregon Country
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    ? Sorry, you lost me there. I haven't seen anything in this thread that suggests any of that.
    Doubling the time it takes for T1 and other like instances as one example.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    But, the point made by some, that there is still plenty to do, still stands for many many players. There is no wrong or right opinion on this, they are just different opinions.
    Is that the purpose of the thread though? Did the OP ask what people thought of the current endgame? Or did he give his opinion? Because it seems to me that he gave his opinion and the people who I take issue with are saying he's wrong. But he's not. He feels that way, whether others do or not, doesn't change the point of his post, especially when you consider that Turbine asked for his opinion in the first place, with the question they posted on facebook.

    My personal opinion is that I agree with you; there is no right or wrong here, and this game is broad to support all play styles and I agree with the OP, in that the endgame playstyle isn't nearly dynamic enough to be consistently engaging.
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  18. #43
    I wanted to take the time to thank folks for their opinions, even if I do not agree with you. I also wanted to take the time to thank the Producer from LOTRO for stopping in and acknowledging, I feel, not only mine, but the opinions of others as well. Giving an opinion or answering a question (or both), all too often, falls on deaf ears.

    I feel, and this is something I did not address but, agree with, is the loot system does need to be fixed. When it comes to instances, T1 or T2, loot needs to be scaled along with the tier - to include if the challenge requirements were met. As well, a separate barter coin system for each area, should be in place too. The above mentioned would give balance right there; T1 for the more casual player, T2 for the more hardcore player, with loot scaled at the respective levels of completion.

    As far as a handful of instances only being ran, I can only speak by what I have observed: They're easy. Simple as that. Its good to have easy instances, sure, and trust me I like to sit and relax and not raid all the darn time, but I also like a challenge and have the felixibility of two different gaming styles.

    However, I think above anything, the closeness of the community, guild loyalty, being able to find people to play with consistently is the key for any of this to work. And for that to happen, something has to be done to rectify that (Book 8 Vol 1. was a great example of this, and that wasn't even a raid).

    I say, keep your voices heard, because they are listening. Oh and one last thing: I have always said Northeast Angmar would be a great PVP area, or something similar with that kind of terrain and NPCs. It would certainly be unique. No?

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumpyLumpy View Post
    I wanted to take the time to thank folks for their opinions, even if I do not agree with you. I also wanted to take the time to thank the Producer from LOTRO for stopping in and acknowledging, I feel, not only mine, but the opinions of others as well. Giving an opinion or answering a question (or both), all too often, falls on deaf ears.

    I feel, and this is something I did not address but, agree with, is the loot system does need to be fixed. When it comes to instances, T1 or T2, loot needs to be scaled along with the tier - to include if the challenge requirements were met. As well, a separate barter coin system for each area, should be in place too. The above mentioned would give balance right there; T1 for the more casual player, T2 for the more hardcore player, with loot scaled at the respective levels of completion.

    As far as a handful of instances only being ran, I can only speak by what I have observed: They're easy. Simple as that. Its good to have easy instances, sure, and trust me I like to sit and relax and not raid all the darn time, but I also like a challenge and have the felixibility of two different gaming styles.

    However, I think above anything, the closeness of the community, guild loyalty, being able to find people to play with consistently is the key for any of this to work. And for that to happen, something has to be done to rectify that (Book 8 Vol 1. was a great example of this, and that wasn't even a raid).

    I say, keep your voices heard, because they are listening. Oh and one last thing: I have always said Northeast Angmar would be a great PVP area, or something similar with that kind of terrain and NPCs. It would certainly be unique. No?
    Osgiliath ftw!
    Make the PvE consist of Epic Story instances and group 3 and 6 mans where we take the headquarters of the initial orcs stationed there, and one BB where the Gondorians fall back
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumpyLumpy View Post

    Furthermore, and perhaps I am screaming "The Emperor has no clothes!", but why aren't we fighting with Frodo in Mt. Doom? It has been 7 years since the product was released and we aren't through the Two Towers. Really? I know and understand that a software development life cycle has to take place, the economy tanking years ago, and layoffs within your staff have hurt the game but 7 years later and no Mt. Doom?
    Not trying to disparage the OP, but it sounds like he's never read the LoTR or seen the movies because, unless your name character's name is Samwise Gamgee or Gollum, you should be nowhere near Mt. Doom. This is a no win situation for Turbine. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. If we are allowed entrance to Mt. Doom before the destruction of the Ring then the 'purists' will levy accusations that Turbine is not respecting the lore. If were aren't allowed to be there with Frodo then others will complain that Turbine is denying them access to the more epic moments of the story.

    With the release of Update 14 we're beyond the Two Towers and into the realm of The Return of the King, so the OP's statement that we're not is simply incorrect. I can understand the frustration over the fact that it's taken us seven years to get to this point, but you must remember that it takes time to come up with new content, especially when you're working with a limited development staff. Plus, the F2P conversion, and the year leading up to it, saw a lot of turmoil in this game and, understandably, delayed our progressing further along the storyline's path. That is alright with me as part of my joy with this game is getting to explore as much of Tolkein's world as possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChumpyLumpy View Post

    Most of all, there used to be a deep camaraderie and loyalty within guilds in LOTRO. This ceases to exist. What was once a spirited, competitive and lively community, is now a chat room with players (myself included) constantly looking for the aforementioned, and finding....nothing. For example,Bree used to be filled with players; so many in fact, that you experienced considerable lag once you entered the town. This is no longer the case - anywhere. I know that player bases change, but there has to be some culpability from the company when it comes to the loss of players and the community changing drastically to the point it no longer recognizes itself. As well, to constantly remain positive ("Our VIP subs have increased!"), while failing to acknowledge these things I have mentioned, is unhealthy in any business.
    This is purely anecdotal on the OP's part, not fact. To him there appears to be a lack of camaraderie within guilds and the community is not as lively or spirited as it used to be. Unless someone can provide evidence from across a spectrum of players, logging in at different times, and visiting different areas then it is really just the OP's perception that this aspect of the game has gone downhill. Turbine, on the other hand, has access to numbers and data that the player base does not. So, I'm a little more inclined to believe their statements on the community's health than that of any lone singular player, no matter how passionate their oration. Additionally, one could easily counter the lag in Bree as being resolved by dynamic layering.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChumpyLumpy View Post
    Finally, while this post may sound negative, that is not my intention. I just want to know what happened to my game. I know things change, and change is a good thing, but it can also be a slippery slope that has no end too. Please, bring back the things we want - challenging 12 and 24 man raids that are fresh and will bring guilds closer together (not just an all star pug group who can whip BG in 1 hour). Bring in a new pvp area that could be derived from some of the Tolkien lore, while performing a slow overhaul on the graphics. But most of all, bring us to Mt. Doom with instances of 6, 12,and 24 players at a time (not just as an endless book or big battle that tries to suffice this).
    I don't mean to be confrontational here, but the OP does not speak for the community on these issues, so the use of 'we' in his requests to Turbine to return to the content that he likes is very disingenuous. New PVMP areas and raids are things that he wants to see but others, I imagine, could not care less about. Not everybody likes those aspects of the game. Myself, I would rather they spend the resources they might otherwise use for PVMP and raids to bring us more content or engage in updating the older areas to give the entire game more visual symmetry. However, that is just my wish.
    Last edited by donxavier; Aug 31 2014 at 08:56 PM.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Is that the purpose of the thread though? Did the OP ask what people thought of the current endgame? Or did he give his opinion? Because it seems to me that he gave his opinion and the people who I take issue with are saying he's wrong. But he's not. He feels that way, whether others do or not, doesn't change the point of his post, especially when you consider that Turbine asked for his opinion in the first place, with the question they posted on facebook.

    My personal opinion is that I agree with you; there is no right or wrong here, and this game is broad to support all play styles and I agree with the OP, in that the endgame playstyle isn't nearly dynamic enough to be consistently engaging.
    I agree with this 100% and find it partcularly sad how many people will tell others their opinion is wrong. It honestly needs to stop. No player of this game is better than the other even if you are on the Players Council. It gives no one the right to down others for stating an opinion.

    Right now, from what I can see, a lot of people are unhappy with the current "end game" and feel it is a grind for the sake of a grind. No purpose behind it all other than to waste time unil the next update. it relies to much on a rng which causes frustration. Do people even realize / care that some players have yet to finish the Library deed since week 1 of u14 and they try it daily. But the rng has them gated behind 1 quest... while other players are finished all the deeds waiting for the "instance" unlocks. How is that engaging end game for those players that can not even complete that deed?

    Personally until RoI I had 1 character I played (and some crafting alts) because to me the game was engaging enough to only have the 1. When Rohan was released it went to 3. With HD it went to 5. Not because I wanted to level alts... but to me, that became my end game. Now with u14 I am on number 6... because to me, there is nothing to do. I can gear them up in Sambrog and Annuminas, so no need to run raids. I do not like BB enough to run them more than the epic.. So all I have left is deeds and leveling alts to keep me engaged. In my opinion, this is not good because I am growing tired of doing it. I look forward to the new class to inject some life, but when I level him I will have 7 toons at cap with a grind for what?

    But these are my opinions, I do not tell others that are happy you are wrong... and go out of my way to break down their post and look superior, or try to act like forum moderators by telling others to correct signitures ect. Or even complaining when threads they do not like are not closed. Because no matter what we are all on a equal field and we are all entitled to have opinions. So Snowlock, I am sorry others tried to down you, but I feel you and the OP have had many valid points and ask you both to continue posting them, and please ignore those who would try to put you down.
    [CENTER][I][B][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#00ffff]I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2BC936]According to my Sister... Video Games can only get better...... unless it's Madden
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#b22222]Long Live Meneldor![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A little hideaway
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    Considering the last raid pack came out like 18 months, there is newer content to run. The problem with the content is Loot. there is honestly no reason to run it.

    As far as the OP, as others have said there is a lot to do in the game. But by reading your post, it looks as if you do not play the game often. You point to Big Battles as a band aid for raids. They are not. They are a new system which I applaude turbine for attempting but not personally enjoy within the game. You than point that we have yet to finish the 2 Towers. Well, this newest update started Return of the King. Also, if we were already at Mount Doom, would you be one of the hundred of posters complaining we got their to fast? We as players can not have everything WE want. Turbine is going to do what they feel is best for the majority of players for the game and throw the rest of us bones here and there. As a "developer" you would understand that you would want your product to appeal to as many as possible not for the small amount at level cap. Not saying we dont need raids because I feel we do, and I feel there are parts of the story that can be told by them.
    First, I've been playing for 4 years. Longest break I took was this spring because I was bored to tears with no motivation to log in and was extremely busy. Other than that, I've been playing regularly. Don't make assumptions.

    As for the rest of your post... I didnt say anything about Big Battles or The Two Towers.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    Couple of things...

    1. The reality is that all activity in this game is player generated. Turbine can offer everything under the sun but it is ultimately the players who decide what they want to do. There are multiple choices of group activities available. Yes, much of it is old, but it is still there to do.

    2. Most of the more popularly run content is (ironically) the older instances... Great Barrow, Fornost, Annuminas. Yet, the newer things (entire Erebor cluster) seem to be ignored. The Erebor cluster is 1.5 years old and it is barely run these days compared to the "oldie but goodie" instances. The "In Their Absence" cluster is largely ignored except for Ost Dunhoth and OD is only run because it is the easy way to First Agers.

    My point is that the game does offer multiple things to do... albeit most of it old by our standards... an entire list of instances... and less than 1/4 of them are regularly chosen. And, the ones chosen are the ones easily farmed.

    So, in this case... maybe Turbine has become hesitant to invest in new instances/raids because what is already offered doesn't see much use... by the very people who complain that they "don't have enough to do"?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    The reality is that all activity in this game is player generated. Turbine can offer everything under the sun but it is ultimately the players who decide what they want to do.
    Of course we choose what we want to do from the list of activities offered by the game. That means we have a choice on content, not that every activity is player generated. There is a huge difference between the two: a player generated activity is a random party / wedding / role playing event / Weatherstock / Chicken runs, etc., using the resources offered by the game but being generated by players.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    2. Most of the more popularly run content is (ironically) the older instances... Great Barrow, Fornost, Annuminas. Yet, the newer things (entire Erebor cluster) seem to be ignored. The Erebor cluster is 1.5 years old and it is barely run these days compared to the "oldie but goodie" instances. The "In Their Absence" cluster is largely ignored except for Ost Dunhoth and OD is only run because it is the easy way to First Agers.
    Those instances are run more because they simply offer better rewards in terms of a) First agers or b) Currency returns.

    You get about 100 silver from each mob you kill in GB, which is great if you need gold quickly. It also has a decent currency return.
    Annuminas gives the most medallions out of any of the T1 runs with a challenge. This is why people run it so much.
    OD gives first agers. Need I say more?

    People don't run the 'newer' (but still old) content because -and I speak from my own experience here - the rewards are just not worth the time. Also, people will not join a random Flight T1 if they can do an OD and possibly get a symbol. In my server, it's hard enough to fill OD sometimes, it's even harder to fill any other run.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    My point is that the game does offer multiple things to do... albeit most of it old by our standards... an entire list of instances... and less than 1/4 of them are regularly chosen. And, the ones chosen are the ones easily farmed.

    So, in this case... maybe Turbine has become hesitant to invest in new instances/raids because what is already offered doesn't see much use... by the very people who complain that they "don't have enough to do"?
    That's a fallacy.

    Sure, I can go and run Garth Agarwen. It's an instance, it's there, it's something to do. But why? What for?

    I could go grab 10 friends, take them to Rivendell and marry my Elf to the nearest available Hobbit in a nice wedding event. That's something to do.

    I could sit in the Auction House all day camping an auction, that's something to do.

    I'm talking about content. Content that is engaging, that people want to do, that is new or at least fresh, that keeps us busy, that is interesting, that makes me want to keep coming back. At this point, I would jump and scream with joy if they simply scaled ToO.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemiire View Post
    First, I've been playing for 4 years. Longest break I took was this spring because I was bored to tears with no motivation to log in and was extremely busy. Other than that, I've been playing regularly. Don't make assumptions.

    As for the rest of your post... I didnt say anything about Big Battles or The Two Towers.
    Sorry was not making an assumption was just pointing out that there was newer content there... although I will agree it is lame and not worth the energy to run. The rest of my post was directed towards the OP and not at you, which is why it said... to the OP and than commented on his post. So sorry for the confusion and again no assumption was made.
    [CENTER][I][B][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#00ffff]I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#2BC936]According to my Sister... Video Games can only get better...... unless it's Madden
    [/COLOR][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#b22222]Long Live Meneldor![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

  24. #49
    Don,

    Thank you for posting to my initial post. After reading your reply, and a very well thought out reply at that, I do see you have cherry-picked a few statements from my post. So, going with that, here is my reply:

    Not trying to disparage the OP, but it sounds like he's never read the LoTR or seen the movies because, unless your name character's name is Samwise Gamgee or Gollum, you should be nowhere near Mt. Doom. This is a no win situation for Turbine. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. If we are allowed entrance to Mt. Doom before the destruction of the Ring then the 'purists' will levy accusations that Turbine is not respecting the lore. If were aren't allowed to be there with Frodo then others will complain that Turbine is denying them access to the more epic moments of the story.

    With the release of Update 14 we're beyond the Two Towers and into the realm of The Return of the King, so the OP's statement that we're not is simply incorrect. I can understand the frustration over the fact that it's taken us seven years to get to this point, but you must remember that it takes time to come up with new content, especially when you're working with a limited development staff. Plus, the F2P conversion, and the year leading up to it, saw a lot of turmoil in this game and, understandably, delayed our progressing further along the storyline's path. That is alright with me as part of my joy with this game is getting to explore as much of Tolkein's world as possible.


    I have read limited Tolkien lore and I understand the constraints Turbine is under with respect to that. What I am trying to address is, the lack of progress in real-time. When I answered the question posted on Facebook, I hadn't logged into LOTRO in 7 months. So how would I would have known ROTK had begun? Turbine is notorious for lack of promotion of the game, in my opinion. I did not see headlines screaming "RETURN OF THE KING BEGINS!", anywhere. As well, as I had stated throughout my post, and being I am a developer by trade, again, I know development takes time. A lot of time. I also pointed out overhead, staffing, and how hard it is to work with. It is what it is and games are no exception.

    This is purely anecdotal on the OP's part, not fact. To him there appears to be a lack of camaraderie within guilds and the community is not as lively or spirited as it used to be. Unless someone can provide evidence from across a spectrum of players, logging in at different times, and visiting different areas then it is really just the OP's perception that this aspect of the game has gone downhill. Turbine, on the other hand, has access to numbers and data that the player base does not. So, I'm a little more inclined to believe their statements on the community's health than that of any lone singular player, no matter how passionate their oration. Additionally, one could easily counter the lag in Bree as being resolved by dynamic layering.

    This is not anecdotal by any stretch. In order to save the game, Turbine had to go to a different business model with LOTRO. I, and several other players, have seen founding kinships disband due to lack of players. I have been in a few kinships and the number one thing that blows them to pieces is, lack of players logging in. I can tell you that you I have logged in at various times and have seen numbers dwindle. It is a given fact and the numbers you seek for facts is no further than your friends and kinship list. Some are anonymous, sure, but most are not..logged..in. Go to any big kin and look at the roster and check the last login date. It can be dumbfounding.

    I don't mean to be confrontational here, but the OP does not speak for the community on these issues, so the use of 'we' in his requests to Turbine to return to the content that he likes is very disingenuous. New PVMP areas and raids are things that he wants to see but others, I imagine, could not care less about. Not everybody likes those aspects of the game. Myself, I would rather they spend the resources they might otherwise use for PVMP and raids to bring us more content or engage in updating the older areas to give the entire game more visual symmetry. However, that is just my wish.

    You are coming across pretty snarky, but hey it's cool. But if no one speaks up, then how do we know there is a problem? If you read my post and follow-up posts, you will see my point is simple: balance between hardcore and casual - which is a hard thing to do , but was done pretty darn well in the past needs to return. If you know anything about making it in the software business, then you know you have to appeal to as many people as possible. Be it more lore, more raids and pvmp or another chicken run. You cannot limit or take away the things that have made you successful or have kept your bills paid. To favor one play style over another will be detrimental to the game and in the end no one wins.

  25. #50
    Produktion Malphunktion is offline Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    The point to all of this I think is that an MMO cannot survive if all there is to do is complete meta deeds from previous expansions, secondary crafting and gathering titles. If you want there to be a game so that you can do those things you enjoy, there has to be a better balance. I think that is all anyone is saying.
    Exactly. The MMO landscape has changed drastically over the past 6 years.
    All I can say right now is we are very aware of this and well, we will see what we will bring to the table in 2015.

    To Mordor!

    Mount Doom. The plan is already there and has been for years. It's awesome. But yes, we very obviously do not follow Sam and Frodo since in the books they don't have any population where we can hide players. Sure I guess we could do 'the forward guard for Frodo' or the 'cleanup crew' but that is kind of lame, and very forced.
    But there is a war a few hundred miles to the east of Frodo that fits what is needed for an MMO-towns, conflicts, good guys, bad guys, places to explore. This gives breath and space for YOU to be the hero for a while, not the baggage handler for Merry and Pippin. It is fun to run alongside Legolas, but it is not fun to watch Legolas do all the work...if you get what I mean.
    Would a Frodo and Sam game be cool someday...sure, but not as an MMO. That would just turn into Frodo and his Amazing Friends!

    We will continue to visit Frodo and the real hero- Sam--like we do in 14.2.
    Last edited by Produktion Malphunktion; Aug 31 2014 at 09:39 PM.

 

 
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload