We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bog Lurkers Redux

So once again, I'm working on leveling a character, number eight. She's an elf, so she started in Ered Luin. Ally with Thorin's Hall, meta-deed done. Check. She goes to the Shire. Meta-deed, check. She goes to Bree. Kindred with Mathom House and Bree, check. Meta-deed check, after 5 trips to Tarodan at 60 spiders a pop for Brood Mother Advanced. Tedious, but at least the spiders re-spawn. She goes to the Lone-Lands. Kindred with the Eglain, check. Meta-deed....working on the Bog Lurker thing. She goes to the North Downs. Kindred with the Rangers of Esteldin, check. Meta-deed, check. Meta-deed with the Eglain....still working on the Bog-lurkers.

I'm headed off to the Trollshaws next and fully expect to complete them before I get the Bog-lurker deed in the Lone Lands done. I'll be way over level by the time I complete the meta-deed, and if I weren't a completionist I wouldn't bother. It's not like the reward is really worth it. And six of my other seven characters are in the same boat, which seems to indicate to me that there is a balancing problem there. They have no problem completing other meta-deeds, just the Lone Lands-because of the Bog Lurkers.

There are more bog lurkers in the North Downs than there are in the Lone Lands and there is no slayer deed for them. I've said this before, and I will say it again-please consider halving the requirements for the Bog Lurker deed in the Lone Lands. It is worse than Tarodan.

It may be that you all thought you would sell doublers by leaving it this way, and perhaps you do. But I don't burn doublers on deeds like this. I use them for deeds where the slayer creatures are moderately to pretty closely packed. That way I can get 2-3 done, basic and advanced, if I do things just right with one doubler. (I use OOC run speed scrolls and +5% damage and mount speed too, so I can zip around and hit hard.). If I've got a few minutes left on the scroll, I'll pop over to Haragmar and try to find bog-lurkers, but I won't burn one just for them, because there aren't enough there to make it worth my while. Seriously-I tried this once and got maybe 40. Not even the basic deed. I won't ever spend TP on just this deed again. I'll continue to pop over there for ten at a pop for what seems forever.

There is nothing more tedious than running in circles around the Circle of Blood, over and over again, waiting for them to respawn. And if anyone else is there at all, it is not worth going. Please, please, PLEASE reset this deed to where it requires time and effort more commensurate with the other slayer deeds! If you don't want to halve the requirement...there's that honking big marsh across the road. Drop some more of them in there. Bigger, badder ones if you like.

The Lone Lands are the last area in the F2P introduction. Do you really want this frustrating irritation to be the thing on peoples' minds when they are contemplating whether they'd like to subscribe or buy new areas? While I suppose you should be commended for giving people a true taste of some of the epic grind in the game, it might make better business sense to save that for later, when they're more invested.
    Last edited by Dolamrothdame; Aug 30 2014 at 07:25 PM.
    Landroval-Alphriel (Champion/78), Talya (Guardian/74), Cilarien (Champion/49), Tilluin (Minstrel/48), Morrollan (Captain/40), Nimthiel (Hunter/41)-, Mellanduil (Warden/33) Laurelin-Lilleduil (LM/105), Eirallyn (Warden/105), Faelarin (Minstrel/72), Cattigus (Burglar/34), Celebhair (Hunter/63), Sithora (Beorning/28)

if you have time you can also get bog-lurkers in the Garth Agarwen Arboretum instance. IIRC there's like 15 of them in there and they count. I thought a couple runs was quicker then hunting them on the landscape.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try as well. But I still think there aren't enough on landscape.
    Landroval-Alphriel (Champion/78), Talya (Guardian/74), Cilarien (Champion/49), Tilluin (Minstrel/48), Morrollan (Captain/40), Nimthiel (Hunter/41)-, Mellanduil (Warden/33) Laurelin-Lilleduil (LM/105), Eirallyn (Warden/105), Faelarin (Minstrel/72), Cattigus (Burglar/34), Celebhair (Hunter/63), Sithora (Beorning/28)

There are a bunch of bog lurkers in the area where the huorns are too (can't remember what it's called offhand and not logged in).
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 40 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame View Post
    Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try as well. But I still think there aren't enough on landscape.
    Happy Hunting! and yeah there's not enough on the landscape but at least it's not as bad as the Forochel grim slayer deed. I think that's the worst slayer deed in the game.

For Bog-lurker deed in Lone-Land, you can go around the red area at the northeast of Lone-land, where you see only Hourns and roots. Some lurkers are stealth, so you will want to move slow enough to detect them until you remember where they spawn. Also, lurkers and bog share the same spawn points, so remember to kill roots too so that bog-lurkers can spawn in their places.

In addition, you can also run a 3-man GA instance like people have suggested to kill all bog lurkers inside (about 8 of them). Reset the instance by create any other instance, enter, leave and create the GA instance until you reach the limit. After that, you can work on the red area for bog lurker deed.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by KM3161 View Post
    Happy Hunting! and yeah there's not enough on the landscape but at least it's not as bad as the Forochel grim slayer deed. I think that's the worst slayer deed in the game.
    I am REALLY not looking forward to that. There's that one place where four of them spawn pretty regularly. Guess I'll visit it from time to time and camp. It's definitely another slayer deed that needs a good, hard look.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! The whole huorn thing hadn't occurred to me, even though I've done the Epic Quest there a couple of times *smacks head at own stupidity*.

There are a lot that need a looking at. The amount of spiders to be killed in the Barrow-downs, for example. And wargs in LL (those are far too scattered about). I sure wish they'd all get a little bit of love and reduction. :/
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

if you run in an oval west to east at the Agamaur lake, you will find the bog lurkers, there's about 17 of them around that lake.

Once you memorize the spawn locations in your mind, that deed becomes easy.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    There are a lot that need a looking at. The amount of spiders to be killed in the Barrow-downs, for example. And wargs in LL (those are far too scattered about). I sure wish they'd all get a little bit of love and reduction. :/
    I'm still working on the Wargs too. I just don't feel quite as bad about them because I can run in a big circle around Ost Guruth and find them. Hate that they're all so scattered though.

I agree that Tarodan needs to be cut in half as well. I have a lot of characters who have long moved on from Bree and are still only lacking Brood Hunter Advanced to get the meta deed. The only way I ever get it is to come back over 5-6 days at a time when no one else is in there (unless they like to Fellow) and kill 50-60 each time-which is about the limit of my tolerance. I won't burn a doubler for that one either, because it's a waste if someone comes in halfway through.

The grim deed really needs to be halved too. Or maybe even a third of what it currently is. Seriously. This isn't rocket science. Big number slayer deeds are all right when you've got concentrations of a creature. But when you've got singles scattered all over a vast map, who just pop up intermittently with no way to get a reasonable amount in a short time...the numbers need to be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    if you run in an oval west to east at the Agamaur lake, you will find the bog lurkers, there's about 17 of them around that lake.

Once you memorize the spawn locations in your mind, that deed becomes easy.
    Thanks, Leixy! I'll give that a go. I know the spawn locations in the Circle of Blood almost by heart, I should be able to pick those up.

This one was only marginally worse to me than the spider deed in the Barrows. Too bad those spiders don't spawn in the GB instances. That would really help if the numbers are not going to be cut (an artifact of the fact that this deed was a lot higher level, 50, I think). The other issue with this deed is that doing it while others need them for quests is a bummer. Open tapping has helped that, I guess. So, what I did was to make one loop of the Circle of Blood, head into the ruins and make the loop there north of them. After that, I'd run GA Arboretum for the 9 that are there (8 lesser, one mini-boss).

About the Forochel grims, I'm wondering if the grims that spawn in Icy Crevasse count.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.