We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry I think many people would agree with me...Dark Side should be playable

This game looks awesome but still could be much better if we... the clients that could spend some money for playing would have the choice of joining a side when you just create your account. Save ip's or whatever i dont know if that is possible but atleast some kind of difficulty to people not making tricks on changing side or having many characters on both sides.
    Personally i would like to play but i already played maaany lotr games and its like i dont feel confortable anymore on the good side. I would like to play only if there is an option to choose the dark side so many kind of customizable dark creatures and probably the chance of becoming a hero for the side of the dark lord.
    Making maybe villagers as monsters to gain exp on the other side or some kind of armed soldiers i dont care but something like that would be really awesome and the game i think would rise in population. There are many ways on making this game works as i say and making people to play only on the good side i think its not worthy to play, i can find many other games that offers me a better gameplay on singleplayer than this like i see right now.
    The universe of Tolkien can be used much better and as many features and choices u have to offer the clients that will make the difference btw this game and others. Sorry for my english but i guess that you will get the idea and probably im not the first or the only one that ever thought about this.
    I have a group of friends that we always play together some MMORPG's and for developers that can mean the difference btw more money and less money.
    It's good to be bad
    Your's...a possible client...or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Nybaahl View Post
    This game looks awesome but still could be much better if we... the clients that could spend some money for playing would have the choice of joining a side when you just create your account. Save ip's or whatever i dont know if that is possible but atleast some kind of difficulty to people not making tricks on changing side or having many characters on both sides.
    Personally i would like to play but i already played maaany lotr games and its like i dont feel confortable anymore on the good side. I would like to play only if there is an option to choose the dark side so many kind of customizable dark creatures and probably the chance of becoming a hero for the side of the dark lord.
    Making maybe villagers as monsters to gain exp on the other side or some kind of armed soldiers i dont care but something like that would be really awesome and the game i think would rise in population. There are many ways on making this game works as i say and making people to play only on the good side i think its not worthy to play, i can find many other games that offers me a better gameplay on singleplayer than this like i see right now.
    The universe of Tolkien can be used much better and as many features and choices u have to offer the clients that will make the difference btw this game and others. Sorry for my english but i guess that you will get the idea and probably im not the first or the only one that ever thought about this.
    I have a group of friends that we always play together some MMORPG's and for developers that can mean the difference btw more money and less money.
    It's good to be bad
    There is already a side for monsters. Its called Monster play and a tab will open up at the top right hand of your log in screen once you get a character to ten.

You are restricted to the Ettenmoors (PvMP zone), where you fight freeps on their regular characters, and quest where you do what you suggested. However, it is first and foremost a PvP zone.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Quote Originally Posted by Nybaahl View Post
    It's good to be bad
    PvP is limited to the Ettenmoors, where if you want to be bad you can play a creep. The rest of the world is reserved for those on the side of good (theoretically).
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

This will never happen. To do so would require a complete overhaul of the game. New starter areas, a whole new series of quests from the dark point of view for every region, a world full of new mobs of freeps to give your landscape creep something to level up on ... sounds like an entirely new game to me. Maybe SOTHO, Slaves of the Ring Online ...
    "Lead me, follow me, but get out of my way!"

Playable bad side is already implemented, but is restricted to Ettenmoors because this is a PVE game with a PVP mini game.
    Is this Alternate Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

To the OP: maybe there are people who would like to play on the dark side. But never forget that there people like my (and of course others) who like playing here because of the missing open PVP.

But we can stop right here, because Turbine will never do something like this / are not allowed to. And of course, the game is way to old for such a dramatic change, I guess it would be a develop time >2 Years to get something like that started. (with no time for other updates in that time)

The moors (the bad side) is something I have to really be in the right mood for to play. To have to log in every day and have to fight creeps all over middle earth is not my idea of enjoyment. Its good the way it is, with a dedicated PvMP zone for times when you feel up to it.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

I heard about LOTRO when it was in open beta but didn't join until Moria was released. Despite that, I was keeping an eye on the game and the forums before I joined.

Turbine pays real money to another company to use the LOTR setting and that company has asked Turbine to abide by certain restrictions as part of the licence agreement to use the LOTR setting. I remember it was mentioned several times in the past that one of the restrictions for the licence to use the LOTR setting is no playable "evil" characters with open-world access. I can't link to an old post about this because the forums have had old threads purged several times and the posts about this are long gone.

You can't be anti-Free People and have full open world access. Based on comments I've seen in the past, Turbine's licence to use the LOTR setting doesn't allow that.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

I'm not sure it would be healthy for the game either.

It might bring in a group of people who like to play the darker races, but it will end up splitting people up and taking people from the population of the good side causing that side to shrink in population, which could cause some people who like the servers to be populated to quit and find another game.

Also, I think if this addition of the dark side was to include a bigger PvP system, a lot of people who don't like PvP in any shape or form (which I think is a big chunk of LotRO's population) could quit.

I could be terribly wrong about what I said, but those are my thoughts on the matter, and as far as opinion, I don't think I would like it.
    ~Morty
    [URL="http://houserindol.com"]House Rindol[/URL] Landroval Kinship | [URL="http://www.mmorty.com"]MMOrty.com[/URL]
    Mortydoc - Minstrel - Hobbit Explorer Group (HEG)
    Mortymir - Captain | Mortywise - Hobbit Guardian

You have the option

of leveling up to 10, which is very fast to do, and then you can run exclusively darkside PVP if you like.

Problem solved. To the extent there is one.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

Maybe it 'should'. but for several reasons, it 'would' not.

First, and most serious is licensing agreement. The holders of the IP for LOTR put a stop to 'evil' side. A few searches in forums would turn up lots of explanations and links.

Second is the developing costs. It would simply be too much of cost to create full new game areas and all related stuff now for 100 levels of evil side classes. Once, while game was still 'MEO', it toyed for a bit with the alignments system and evil paths, but costs were prohibitive.

Third, related to the second, is we already have developers working on a totally new class - beornings, and also upon th enew areas of gondor. There simply isnt enough staff to put them on such a project. As for hiring - see point 2.

So Your only option is the Monsterplay. Level your 'good' char up to level 10, and you open the option to create servant of Sauron, kill Free People (both NPC and other players) and grow in power and abilities in Ettenmoors.

Sadly, you may newer leave 'moors (if not counting an experiment done on russian servers of letting monbsterplayers get out in Forochel, and also in a tale of players managing to break past barriers between Forochel and Evendim and almost travel to Shire. Or passing gift of GMs playing mobs into invasion of Bree on the end of European Lotro service events.)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000163bef/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thank you, Turbine, for listening and giving us an opt-out of FE! Good work!