We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bards of Gondor? (Or elsewhere?)

So, I'm begun itching to play a bard, not like a D&D bard, mind you, but more like an ancient Irish bard. Well, a fili to be precise. I was thinking an older man of Gondor of Numenorean descent trained from youth to be a bard, studying lore, languages, and music. The question is that I'm not entirely sure such a character would fit in Gondorian society. Did they have bards and harpers? Or was that more of a Rohirric aspect? I would think the Gondorians would have some, given the Elvish influence on their early culture, but I'm not entirely sure. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Elben View Post
    So, I'm begun itching to play a bard, not like a D&D bard, mind you, but more like an ancient Irish bard. Well, a fili to be precise. I was thinking an older man of Gondor of Numenorean descent trained from youth to be a bard, studying lore, languages, and music. The question is that I'm not entirely sure such a character would fit in Gondorian society. Did they have bards and harpers? Or was that more of a Rohirric aspect? I would think the Gondorians would have some, given the Elvish influence on their early culture, but I'm not entirely sure. Any suggestions?
    Harpers and other musicians they certainly had, but I don't think they had anything quite like the bards you think of. By this I mean that the study of lore and the study of music was mostly separated into different professions. (Or in other words: lore-masters studied lore, while minstrels played music.) I don't think the Elves had quite that kind of bards either.
    Of course there is nothing that prevents you from playing a character that has one as his profession and the other as his hobby.

(As for the D&D bard, the early iterations of the class were actually based on the ancient Irish bards. Of course there have been many different versions of the class that have little in common except that they can play music.)

Quote Originally Posted by Elben View Post
    Gondor had minstrels (as did the Elves) according to LOTR. Rohan should presumably have the Anglo-Saxon 'scop' instead. No bards - if you want something like ancient Ireland then the Dunlendings sound more like that.