We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Constant crashing in East Rohan using Mavericks

Hi Everyone:

I recently purchased a new iMac running Mavericks (OS 10.9.4). The game runs beautifully on ultra-high settings on older content but has serious problems in East Rohan (Please note that I have not advanced to Helm's Deep and beyond). I am experiencing frequently crashes (from every few seconds to about every 5 minutes); they do not appear to be related to any type of activity, such as mounted combat. The error that I receive when the game crashes is:

GAME ERROR [36197636] The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters [PlatformStringID_MustRunFromLa uncher]

I'm assuming that these crashes are related to Mavericks because the game runs very well on my laptop, which has Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5). I'd appreciate any input or suggestions.

Here's more information on my computers:

2014 iMac 27"
    Mavericks (OS 10.9.4)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

2013 Mac Pro 15"
    Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NIVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
    Hi Everyone:

I recently purchased a new iMac running Mavericks (OS 10.9.4). The game runs beautifully on ultra-high settings on older content but has serious problems in East Rohan (Please note that I have not advanced to Helm's Deep and beyond). I am experiencing frequently crashes (from every few seconds to about every 5 minutes); they do not appear to be related to any type of activity, such as mounted combat. The error that I receive when the game crashes is:

GAME ERROR [36197636] The game client was passed invalid command-line parameters [PlatformStringID_MustRunFromLa uncher]

I'm assuming that these crashes are related to Mavericks because the game runs very well on my laptop, which has Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5). I'd appreciate any input or suggestions.

Here's more information on my computers:

2014 iMac 27"
    Mavericks (OS 10.9.4)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
    NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

2013 Mac Pro 15"
    Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.5)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NIVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
    Two answers:
    1- Yeah, East Rohan is deadly on Ultra-high settings. Set your graphics settings back to the defaults and only increase one setting at a time -- ONE STEP at a time -- until you get to a place where you are comfortable with the fact that the Client only runs for about 45 minutes before crashing.
    This problem is pretty much confined to Rohan (and later) and Bree proper -- where Turbine implemented some new graphics technology. (I don't believe they used this new technology when they did the recent revamp of the Trollshaws, Misty Mountains and North Downs. The Bree revamp a couple of years ago was an experiment as much as it was a "pet project" of one of the Devs.)
    Wildermore is not too different from East Rohan, but a bit more stable. Similarly, West Rohan gets more stable as does Western Gondor -- but nothing post Riders of Rohan is a stable as the "old areas." I find that I only get 45-60 minutes on a routine basis. And yes, you will crash if you simply stand there!!! There IS a memory leak.

The problem is annoying, but the only "fix" has been to lower graphics settings.
    You can read some of the info Turbine has posted about hardware on the Wiki: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client -- see the comments "About Graphics cards"

Reset your graphics by firing up the launcher, and before you enter your userid and password, click the triangle in the upper right corner and select "Options."
    You can then do two things.
    A) at the bottom of the window "click "Restore Defaults."
    B) on the "Repair Tab" - click "Reset the game display settings" and click "OK" at the bottom.
    Option B resets ONLY the graphics settings, returning you to a small window display.

2- The GAME ERROR is a bogus error - true, but meaningless. Basically, OSX is trying to restart the Game Client, which is not allowed.
    The LOTRO "App" is actually two Apps in one. A Launcher and the Game Client.
    You have to right click on the 20 GB .app file (which is really the Launcher) and "show contents" then navigate down the stack to get to the actual game client. Along the way, you will find all of the rest of the files which are hidden by the finder. You can also see them directly using "ls" in a terminal window.

The Turbine Launcher does all of the account validation with Turbine's secure servers. It then gets a "token" indicating that you are OK, which it passes along to the Game Client. This is the same process that WoW calls their "Authenticator."
    Without this "token" the Game client will return the error you have listed above.

When making changes, keep in mind that the plist (preference) files are only updated on a successful and clean exit. Crashes do not update them, so many changes you have made will basically disappear.

The technique I use is -- launch game; change graphics settings; exit game; start over.

Just FYI, my system:
    27 inch iMac Intel (mid 2010)
    Model: iMac11,3
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
    Display: 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
    Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Thanks so much for your response, Valamar. Your suggestions were very helpful … about an hour between crashes in the Norcrofts yesterday!

I made another discovery regarding Mavericks yesterday so I'll share it here in case others are having the same problem. Although most of my crashes were Rohan-related, I was occasionally getting crashes just after logging in. I made a simple change which alleviated all of these random problems. Prior to this, I had been using the ring icon on Maverick's LaunchPad app to start the game launcher. When I began starting the game launcher directly from the ring icon in the Applications folder (or an alias of that on the desktop), these log-in crashes stopped. I think at some level the LaunchPad app was interfering with the game launcher.

Let's hope that the devs spend some time on the Mac Client soon so that we can play without jumping through hoops first. But in the meantime, I'm off to East Rohan!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
    I made another discovery regarding Mavericks yesterday so I'll share it here in case others are having the same problem. Although most of my crashes were Rohan-related, I was occasionally getting crashes just after logging in. I made a simple change which alleviated all of these random problems. Prior to this, I had been using the ring icon on Maverick's LaunchPad app to start the game launcher. When I began starting the game launcher directly from the ring icon in the Applications folder (or an alias of that on the desktop), these log-in crashes stopped. I think at some level the LaunchPad app was interfering with the game launcher.
    Very interesting. Personally, I never use Launchpad -- but then I'm an old Unix(tm) SysAdmin and never understood the idea behind it (reason for it). Which is also to say, I don't understand the mechanics involved in the Launchpad. One would assume at first glance that it is a simple "link" structure. However, I know that the OSX GUI treats links differently than the underpinning Unix structure.

Maybe someday I'll get around to figuring it out, I can see all kinds of potential implications -- but that's why I retired
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I am having same problem but on each time I open the client. I'm a returning vet from windows on my new mac. any ideas? help? I have same error and for some reason I use the client and it still can't authenticate it

Update: I have located TurbineLauncher.exe.config file

Should I tweak the "server" list or something? currently it says
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    <startup>
    <requiredRuntime version="V1.1.4322" safemode="true"/>
    <supportedRuntime version="V1.1.4322" />
    </startup>
    <appSettings>
    <add key="Launcher.DataCenterServic e.GLS" value="http://moria.gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx"/>

<add key="DataCenter.GameName" value="LOTRO" />
    <add key="DataCenter.DefaultCenter" value="LOTRO" />
    <add key="Product.DocumentFolder" value="The Lord of the Rings Online"/>
    <add key="Launcher.DocumentFolder" value="Launcher"/>
    </appSettings>
    <system.net>
    <settings>
    <servicePointManager expect100Continue="false" />
    </settings>
    </system.net>
    </configuration>