We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Random Crashing since 14.2

Regarding the 14.2 update...i haven't been able to play since the update.

I tried to load a character 3 or 4 days ago and the client crashed several times during the loading screen of the character. I thought it must be something with the server and i had no time then to further investigate it.

20 minutes ago i started the client and tried to load 4 different characters on 2 servers. Only one of them got into the game, but crashed after maybe 20 seconds.

Someone else with similar problems with 14.2?
    Last edited by padraxus; Oct 09 2014 at 03:17 AM.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**
    Hope dies last, but it dies.

I have the same problem. Since updating I have only been able to enter the game once from my iMac. On my PC LOTRO works as usual. At first I thought it had something to do with the new firmware I installed on my router, but downgrading it didn't help.
    When the program crashes I always get a trouble-report which is almost the same every time. I have tried to uninstall LOTRO and make a fresh install. I have also tried the Steam version (which I don't like because of the "laggy" Steam client). None of this helps. The Steam version (which I guess is exactly the same as the one from lotro.com) crashes in the same way.
    Sometimes I only get to the the character selection screen, sometimes the game begin loading and sometimes I can play for a couple seconds before crash.

Can some one help? Or should I post this to Support?

This is some of the info in the report:

Process: lotroclient [1654]
    Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/LotroLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/lotroclient.app/Contents/MacOS/lotroclient
    Identifier: com.turbine.lotroclient
    Version: 1402.0055.6987.4034 lotro_live (1402.0055.6987.4034 lotro_live)
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [1049]
    Responsible: lotroclient [1654]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-09-28 17:32:18.758 +0200
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: XXXXXXXX-BF44-6101-945A-XXXXXXXXXXXX

Crashed Thread: 0 MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000007c7bd860

VM Regions Near 0x7c7bd860:
    MALLOC_TINY 000000007c300000-000000007c700000 [ 4096K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
    --> MALLOC_TINY 000000007c700000-000000007c800000 [ 1024K] rw-/rwx SM=COW
    MALLOC_SMALL 000000007c800000-000000007d800000 [ 16.0M] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Thread 0 Crashed:: MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 ??? 0x7c7bd860 0 + 2088491104
    1 com.apple.audio.CoreAudio 0x05693771 ___ZN19HALPropertyListener4Cal lEmmPK26AudioObjectPropertyAdd ress_block_invoke_2 + 56
    2 libdispatch.dylib 0x0916976b _dispatch_call_block_and_relea se + 15
    3 libdispatch.dylib 0x09166386 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
    4 libdispatch.dylib 0x0916ea7b _dispatch_main_queue_callback_ 4CF + 294
    5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x03ce0fae __CFRUNLOOP_IS_SERVICING_THE_M AIN_DISPATCH_QUEUE__ + 14
    6 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x03c983c9 __CFRunLoopRun + 1897
    7 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x03c979ea CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 394
    8 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x03c9784b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
    9 com.apple.Foundation 0x086e45b9 -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) runMode:beforeDate:] + 277
    10 Awesomium 0x06ad3204 MediaSharedUITimelineSlider::~ MediaSharedUITimelineSlider() + 17672900
    11 Awesomium 0x06ad339a MediaSharedUITimelineSlider::~ MediaSharedUITimelineSlider() + 17673306
    12 Awesomium 0x06b07d79 MediaSharedUITimelineSlider::~ MediaSharedUITimelineSlider() + 17888825
    13 Awesomium 0x06b07e64 MediaSharedUITimelineSlider::~ MediaSharedUITimelineSlider() + 17889060
    14 Awesomium 0x059cb1b7 CancelableTask* NewRunnableMethod<Awesomium::W ebCoreImpl, void (Awesomium::WebCoreImpl::*)(st d::string const&, std::string const&, bool, bool), std::string, std::string, bool, bool>(Awesomium::WebCoreImpl*, void (Awesomium::WebCoreImpl::*)(st d::string const&, std::string const&, bool, bool), std::string const&, std::string const&, bool const&, bool const&) + 5711
    15 Awesomium 0x059ec04f CancelableTask* NewRunnableMethod<URLRequestBu fferJob, void (URLRequestBufferJob::*)()>(UR LRequestBufferJob*, void (URLRequestBufferJob::*)()) + 14511
    16 com.turbine.lotroclient 0x000705d0 0x55000 + 112080
    17 com.turbine.lotroclient 0x0006d848 0x55000 + 100424
    18 com.turbine.lotroclient 0x0005c4fc 0x55000 + 29948
    19 com.turbine.lotroclient 0x0005c247 0x55000 + 29255
    20 com.turbine.lotroclient 0x0005c1f5 0x55000 + 29173

And it continues with much more info.
    Last edited by Thrandrog; Sep 28 2014 at 02:11 PM.

crashing since update

Quote Originally Posted by padraxus View Post
    Regarding the 14.2 update...i haven't been able to play since the update.

I tried to load a character 3 or 4 days ago and the client crashed several times during the loading screen of the character. I thought it must be something with the server and i had no time then to further investigate it.

20 minutes ago i started the client and tried to load 4 different characters on 2 servers. Only one of them got into the game, but crashed after maybe 20 seconds.

Someone else with similar problems with 14.2?
    Yes having exact same problem, playing on mac. All was fine until yesterday 9/27. No resolution yet.

My Mac client has also been crashing a lot since the last update. Prior to that it was very stable, but now it seems to crash almost randomly. Sometimes on the character selection screen, usually in game. I can't see any pattern to it, sometimes it's within minutes of logging in, other times it could be after an hour or so. My Mac is up-to-date and I have no problems with anything else. It really seems to be an issue with the Mac client.
    I'm tempted to delete it and reinstall, but it's a big old download for something that may make no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezemonger View Post
    My Mac client has also been crashing a lot since the last update. Prior to that it was very stable, but now it seems to crash almost randomly. Sometimes on the character selection screen, usually in game. I can't see any pattern to it, sometimes it's within minutes of logging in, other times it could be after an hour or so. My Mac is up-to-date and I have no problems with anything else. It really seems to be an issue with the Mac client.
    I'm tempted to delete it and reinstall, but it's a big old download for something that may make no difference.
    I have not seen any change in the stability of the Mac Client for the past several releases.

At best, you get a 45 - 60 minute play time.

That said, I need to add -- it all depends -- on WHERE and WHAT you are doing.
    Generally speaking, except for Rohan, especially East Rohan, stability is quite good. I have a collection of alts and frequently manage to play for fairly long times on my alts that are under level 50 (i.e. pre-Moria.) I haven't played in the Moria to Isengard area now for some time, but it was "fairly stable" but not as stable as pre-Moria.

War Steeds (i.e. Rohan) add a measure of instability.

All of that said, I have had "zero" problems since Update 14 (including 14.1 and 14.2).

The main thing I do is play with the default graphics settings.

In the launcher - before you enter your userid and password -- in the upper right corner use the down arrow and select Options.
    (I do have the "Use high resolution game data" option checked.)
    Select the Repair tab.
    Check "Reset the game display settings"
    Click restore defaults
    click ok.
    Quit the launcher and re-launch.

You will have to reset your screen size.
    However, it is best if you don't significantly change any of the other graphic settings.
    You can modify one of them at a time, and then see how it plays.

Just keep in mind -- the Mac Client uses OpenGL, while the PC Client uses DX. ALL of the Options settings for Graphics are for the PC Client. They have NOT changed since the game was release.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I have not seen any change in the stability of the Mac Client for the past several releases.

At best, you get a 45 - 60 minute play time.
    My Mac client, as well as my PC client, have always been very stable. No crashing before now. I have always been able to play for hours at a time. But I have read that many people have big problems with both the Mac and PC client.
    Perhaps it is depending on how much installed RAM is installed? My Mac has 12GB and my PC's have 8GB RAM.
    I have reported the problem to Turbine Support yesterday along with my crash log and some screenshots from the message log in the Mac. Hope they will create a fix for this problem soon.

BR

Quote Originally Posted by Thrandrog View Post
    My Mac client, as well as my PC client, have always been very stable. No crashing before now. I have always been able to play for hours at a time. But I have read that many people have big problems with both the Mac and PC client.
    Perhaps it is depending on how much installed RAM is installed? My Mac has 12GB and my PC's have 8GB RAM.
    From everything I have read and my personal experience, the issue is primarily "WHERE you are questing!"
    Certain areas of Middle Earth are much more "unstable" (i.e. likely to crashing) than others; just as certain types of actions are prone to problems -- riding a War Steed, going through portals, using Swift Travel, to name a few routinely related to crashes.

I have reported the problem to Turbine Support yesterday along with my crash log and some screenshots from the message log in the Mac. Hope they will create a fix for this problem soon.
    That is all we can do -- report the crashes and hope that Turbine will do something.
    It would be nice if Turbine would provide any kind of guidance indicating that they are simply aware of the problem, but because of internal budget constraints, they will do nothing about it.

Sadly, Mac players like Raiders, are a small minority of LOTRO players. Turbine has never released any kind of statistics on the player base, but it is clear from past comments by Sapience that both groups are tiny compared to the F2P, never complaining, constantly replenishing font of new cash folks willing to spend in the in-game store, in a Pay to Win mentality.
    At the time of their acquisition by Warner Brothers, the Industry acknowledged that the in-store, micro-transaction model created by DDO and expended with LOTRO was a significant "cash-cow" and the the second reason (the first being the Tolkien license) which drove WB to make the purchase. (At the time, the gaming industry did not realize that WB owned all of the rest of the Tolkien IP licenses. Today WB owns ALL licenses to Tolkien Intellectual Property. And no, Christopher Tolkien has zero say -- his father sold ALL IP rights to Saul Zanick while he was still alive!)

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

@Valamar
    That is not an issue for me. My client has been running flawlessly for over 1,5 years, regardless of playing time and region. During that time i also changed the OSX version and bought a new iMac.

The 14.2 update is the version which brought the term "crash" back to life. Before that it was nonexistent. I already played around with the graphic settings and similar, but to no avail.

I opened a ticket with Turbine, but will surely get a not helping automated robot answer. Maybe the next update will solve the issue.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

@Valamar
    That is not an issue for me. My client has been running flawlessly for over 1,5 years, regardless of playing time and region. During that time i also changed the OSX version and bought a new iMac.

The 14.2 update is the version which brought the term "crash" back to life. Before that it was nonexistent. I already played around with the graphic settings and similar, but to no avail.

I opened a ticket with Turbine, but will surely get a not helping automated robot answer. Maybe the next update will solve the issue.
    Interesting. I've been playing the Mac Client since its first release on Bullroarer and the 45 minute timer has not changed except in the "Old" areas. All of the areas released after Riders of Rohan (which is when the Mac Client was introduced) have been subject to crashing to a greater or lesser extent.

I keep current with OSX releases, but have not upgraded my iMac in recent years -- it's a 27 inch late 2010 iMac which was top of the line at that time. I did add an additional GB of memory (now 8GB) when Apple recalled my internal hard drive... so at that point I did a complete rebuild/re-install from Time Machine.

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

and another

I'm getting this error too now.
    Everything was fine a few hours ago but now when I try to log in, after I select a character the game loads and I see myself for a few seconds before everything crashes down.
    Usually there's some kind of flash of a single color on the screen or something else odd takes place. Once I appeared half buried into the floor, another time my menu bar decided to shift up and to the side while warping its shape.
    This is happening to multiple toons in various parts of middle earth.

I'm also noticing some giitching happening in a spot on the "marble" ground where the character selection is made.

---
    I am now trying to reset the game defaults option as suggested above.
    Hopefully this works!

---
    edit.
    it did not work :'(
    Last edited by kumi; Oct 02 2014 at 08:43 AM.

Today I received an answer from Turbine support. They asked if I have already to uninstall the Happy Cloud app. But this app had already been introduced with update 13, if I recall correctly. I won't be home before Sunday to test this, but maybe some of you guys with similar problems can try it or shed some light on this app.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Today I received an answer from Turbine support. They asked if I have already to uninstall the Happy Cloud app. But this app had already been introduced with update 13, if I recall correctly. I won't be home before Sunday to test this, but maybe some of you guys with similar problems can try it or shed some light on this app.
    Trying to guess around your typos

Happy Cloud has nothing to do with the running game, unless you are using it to launch LOTRO. Yes, Happy Cloud was formally introduced with Update 13.
    See: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac...d_Installation
    for details on the Happy Cloud installation.

The only issue with Uninstalling the Happy Cloud app has to do with WHERE Happy Cloud has stored the LOTRO application. If you are not careful, you will delete the downloaded application and be forced to download it all again!!!

BTW: How does Turbine tell you to uninstall the HC installer?

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Just noticed a related thread in the PC Support forum:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ter-14-1-patch

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

That was the short answer from support:
    Thank you for your request.Is there any effect if you uninstall the app "The Happy Cloud"?
    Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team
    Problem is, i couldn't locate the app on my Mac.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

That was the short answer from support:

Problem is, i couldn't locate the app on my Mac.
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client_Happy_Cloud_Install ation

See section 2 - File Locations.
    I just verified that the information is correct yesterday.
    Last edited by Valamar; Oct 06 2014 at 02:00 PM.

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

The only LOTRO-related file on my Mac is "The Lord Of The Rings Online.app" in my applications folder.

I cannot find a single file or directory which is mentioned under "File locations" in the wiki or in the contents of the launcher app.

In addition i cannot remember installing the HC app at all.
    Last edited by padraxus; Oct 07 2014 at 09:40 AM.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Since i will be home for the rest of the week i will give a fresh install a try. The complete client download only takes about 2 hours with my connection.

If this fails, i will have to wait for 14.3 and hope for the best. But wait...Yosemite is coming up and probably will f*** things up again. Cheerio!!
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

The only LOTRO-related file on my Mac is "The Lord Of The Rings Online.app" in my applications folder.

I cannot find a single file or directory which is mentioned under "File locations" in the wiki or in the contents of the launcher app.

In addition i cannot remember installing the HC app at all.
    As long as the thing in Applications does not say "LOTRO Installer.app," it's not Happy Cloud.

The HC installer is "new," so depending upon when you installed it, you might have actually used the old PMB (Pando Media Booster) to install the Mac Client -- or if you go back far enough, the ORIGINAL download was a real FTP.

BTW, I forgot to ask -- I assume you are using Maverick 10.9.x

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

I can't believe it, it worked!

I made a fresh download and installation - with HC - and now my client is playable again.

Why it was running flawlessly for months - even after the introduction of HC - and suddenly update 14.2 made it unplayable, beats me. Turbine doesn't know the answer for sure either.

I'm happy that i can play again, but as i said, the dark clouds of Yosemite can be seen not far ahead. Good luck to all of us.

@Valamar
    Yeah, i'm running Mavericks. ;-)
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

It worked for 2 (short) sessions...so i'm back to square one.

Maybe i should just try the GM 2 from Yosemite, which has been released some hours ago. Regarding LOTRO it cannot make things any worse.

EDIT:
    Yosemite changed nothing, as expected (or feared?). Just great. I have tried both OSX, with and without HappyCloud and the result is the same.

Is there already a schedule for 14.3?
    Last edited by padraxus; Oct 08 2014 at 10:47 AM.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Is giving Steam a try too desperate or really good idea?
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Is giving Steam a try too desperate or really good idea?
    I play via Steam all the time.

There is no difference between the download from Steam and the download from LOTRO.com

The Launcher and Client are identical.

The only difference with the Steam Download is the fact that Steam has its own network and servers.

The Client download from Steam is Riders of Rohan vintage - I forget if it was before or after release - the point being, expect as long (or longer) time patching as downloading.
    "I think" the download from lotro.com is actually newer, but it might not be.

Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valanne - Beorning (100)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

The steam client is also completely unreliable. Random crashes at launcher, character screen or in-game. Sometimes i can "play" for 5-10 minutes, but that is of no use.

EDIT:
    My last and final attempt is a Bootcamp partition with Win7.
    Last edited by padraxus; Oct 09 2014 at 04:08 AM.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

You are just using Steam to download the unpatched LOTRO client, correct? No need to add another potential crashy thing (Steam) running on top of a known crashy thing (LOTRO) by using Steam to launch the game. Although it probably doesnt matter if Steam crashes during a LOTRO session.

I would double check those post-processing / specular lighting settings just to be sure things are at a low baseline graphically. I know that the new areas (post Riders) are more prone to crashing... is that where you are at? I can go for 8 hours pre-Riders areas without crashing, but as soon as I leave a Big Battle, immediate and 100% of the time crash.

Crashes occur everywhere. There is definitely something wrong with 14.2, which my system doesn't like. Before the the update, everything was fine for almost 1,5 years.
    **Lifetime VIP Player**

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast