We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Minstrels City Watch Quests

I have not been very successful with the Dol Amroth City Quests. The first time I did the Library Watch, I was able to get all the corsair looters and 3 of the 4 books. The 4th one was right next to 3 corsairs that I could not split up to fight--they all came at me at once. I can fight one-on-one with the 38,000 morale corsairs, but get two or more on me and I am a gonner. I did not get far enough to even try to look for the boss in the Library itself. I did get the one gold token for fulfilling the corsair looter portion when I finally gave up and left the instance. The next few times I tried, I tried to isolate the corsairs, I would get one started off in an area by himself, but always one or two more would come to his rescue and I would get defeated. I just feel so squishy, incompetent, and frustrated! Can we do these as a fellowship? Does anyone know?

I have another district that opened up for me since I have enough rep with it now from the dailies. I haven't tried it yet since I would like to succeed at the Library. Anyway, if the Library is this difficult for me, I don't think the new district watch will be any easier.

I have not been able to purchase additional socketed armour other than a robe and shoulders through previous quests so I could build my status up--Ihavenot been able to get any gold tokens to do that. I have been gathering essences with the meager silver tokens and district tokens I have been getting from the dailies. I have been reading the forums here and have been trying to decide what are the best statistics to add to the socket armour pieces I do have.

My Equipment outfit and other weapons give me what I thought were decent statistics for all attributes of a light armoured minstrel. I have morale 14,764, power 9,212, armour 9,377, might 647, agility 919, vitality 2,550, will 1,739, fate 622, critical rating 7,441, physical mastery 14,987, tactical mastery 18,110, block 3,620, parry 3,657, and evade 3,218.

What do you other minstrels find are good numbers for the statistics? What can I do to improve my statistics? Is there anything I can craft or have crafted for me to give me better numbers?

Your will is extremely low for level 100. Mine runs at over 4k will, which gives me tactical mitigation as well as tactical mastery. My tactical mastery alone runs around 52k, and I'm still wearing mostly 95 armour/jewelry and no first age dps sword yet.

Can you please tell me what gear you're wearing? The lack of tactical mastery alone means you can't hit hard enough to kill the mobs before you die. It also lowers your heals (self healing is a problem right now anyway) so it doubles the problem.

What server are you on also, there may be someone here that can help with gear.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

My armour and jewelry are between Item level 176 and 192 but mostly 192 (Rohirrim in appearance). My Legendaries are all 3rd age except for one 2nd aged sword. I am on Riddermark and I have a fellowship that can help me with anything I need to make. I don't know what I need and was thinking the socketed armour would help me out a lot, but I can't get the gold tokens to get it. The AH is too expensive for me. From my fellowship, I have two friends who just reached level 100. My Guardian friend said it took him over 40 minutes to get through the Library Watch and many times being defeated during it and long morale and power regenerations, too.

I use the RED Warrior Skald trait tree, too, with some over flow into blue and yellow.

I would suggest geting a few peices of gear that have crit defense on them and swap em out when doing those instances. I used to have the same problem and now i run anywhere from 25-61 % crit defense. Doesnt matter if a few on the peices have might / agility aslong as it has crit defense. Once you get more tactical mastery until your belt you can slowly reduce the crit defense.

You also have very high Might and Agility for a mini, IMO. Ihave about 100 each for those, because for a mini those stats are next to useless. (But maybe other ppl disagree...)

Oh and try splitting up the mobs also with Invocation of Elbereth - I was able to fear off one of the mob and kill one of the other two before he returned. It gave me *just* enough of a chance to win the fight after a couple of failed attempts.
    Emmellia r7 mini / Landy

I don't know much about the stats, you might want to listen to other guys with that -but I survived City Watch by using Piercing Cry to stun one of the vandals, and then flopping dead (Still as Death). This leaves (at least for me) one guy still about to fight you as long as you rise before he wakes up, while the other two reset to their places. Only one vandal to deal with this tactic at a time! (Still as Death cooldown in LI very important for this one, though)

Most of my pieces of armour do have critical rating (that is critical defense, correct?). The jewelry doesn't have much critical defense though. I will work on correcting that if I can! I will also cut down on Might and Agility and go for Vitality, Fate, and Will, especially Will.

Good idea to remind me of Invocation of Elbereth to Fear the mobs! I don't use that as often as I should nor Eldar's Grace, and Improved song of distraction. Will try those all out next time. Have to wait for cool down to go back in!

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions! Keep them coming anyone else! I am all eyes and ears and willing to try anything out!

Your gear stats should be will first, vit second, and you don't need might or agility. I also don't bother with fate to be honest, I have maybe 600. I like tactical mastery and crit rating as stats, and finesse is nice if you're dps'ing.

I do have 4200 will, 3500 vit, mitigations that cap with scrolls at 40% for physical and tactical. Distraction doesn't work on the 3-38k mobs, btw - they are linked.

Fear is good, Piercing Cry stun is good, I have Feign Death on my LI to reduce the cooldown; but if you don't get your tactical mastery up you'll still have problems killing even one before it kills you.

There's a lot of really nice level 100 teal armour being sold for dirt cheap (or given away) - you might check the AH for some.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I tend to switch to resonance for those groups and kite around with them. If needed, you can spam major ballad (and chord) for some heals whilst kiting. When you need bigger heals, pop anthem of the third age, then coda and you get an instant bolster courage It does lower the DPS but keeps you alive
    Carannar & Alatir ~ minstrel and guardian of Invicta

Still as death! I didn't think to use that one either! Good idea. I have heard the term kiting but do not know what that is. I will check the AH, too. I do have some teal Armour on me now but maybe the AH is better than mine...if its still available!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider39 View Post
    Still as death! I didn't think to use that one either! Good idea. I have heard the term kiting but do not know what that is. I will check the AH, too. I do have some teal Armour on me now but maybe the AH is better than mine...if its still available!
    Can you take some screenshots of your gear? I feel as though you have some jewls or armor with stats on it that aren't helping you. You should have atleast 3900 Will and 3500 Vit.
    High Treason

|Cuath R11 Captain|
    |Original Challenger of Gothmog|

My Equipment outfit and other weapons give me what I thought were decent statistics for all attributes of a light armoured minstrel. I have morale 14,764, power 9,212, armour 9,377, might 647, agility 919, vitality 2,550, will 1,739, fate 622, critical rating 7,441, physical mastery 14,987, tactical mastery 18,110, block 3,620, parry 3,657, and evade 3,218.
    It's most likely your poor damage/healing output.
    Even with poor gear, you should have more than 3000 Will and 25000 Tactical Mastery, with Might/Agility less than 150.
    105 Hunter, Lore Master, Beorning

I haven't started leveling my Minstrel yet, so I can't comment on class specific tactics.

But the God Send for dealing with the Six Statue Vandals is the Library Door.

Clear the entrance steps and any wandering trash mobs that might get in the way.

Then throw everything you have into killing just one Corsair, soon as his dead or if your not going to survive, duck back into the Library and safety.

Any stuns, fears, Heals or Bubbles you can throw in will also help.

The sad thing is my Heavy Armored Captain can just 'Tank' through the three of them, slow and steady.

The training instance is very doable for a minstrel, with the exception of the Vandals, which are linked in groups of three. These are very tough... but still doable with the right strategy. I was able to kill them off after a few tries. In my first few successful attempts, I was still in my teal level 95 gear. Don't recall the exact stats, but they were stacked high with Will, Vitality, Tactical Mastery, Finesse, and Critical Rating. It's gotten even more doable as I've begun acquiring my level 100 gear.

Some tips:
    If you've cleared the rest of the court yard by picking off the other enemies first, you'll have plenty of room to kite without running into more baddies. Kiting means running and moving while fighting, so melee enemies have to run after you to try to hit you.
    If you heal yourself on the run with Chord of Salvation, hit Cry of the Chorus soon afterward to cut short the animation lag on the skill.
    Fight in Melody stance. You DPS will be lower, but your self-heals (necessary) will be better.
    Don't forget Invocation of Elbereth. Using this skill will send one running away, so you only have to deal with two for a few moments.
    Don't forget to take advantage of the stun on Piercing Cry.
    Don't forget your Minstrel "play dead" skill. If you find yourself in over your head, flop.
    Last edited by Rozalinde; Aug 04 2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Chief of the all-hobbits Landroval kinship, [url=http://concerninghobbits.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1477267] Concerning Hobbits.[/url]
    Level 100 Minstrel--Rozalinde
    [url=http://tweaklotro.wordpress.com/2014/07/05/mother-hens-chicken-guide/]Mother Hen[/url] and [url=https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?548289-A-Chicken-s-Adventures-EAST-of-the-Misties]Aficionado of Chicken Adventures[/url]

You do need to get your Tact Mastery up to hit hard enough to kill at least 1, look for pieces with Will and possibly switch your relics on your LIs to have more Mastery too; Crit Defense and Mitigations are important too, but you need to get your Mastery numbers up first.

Every class has a way to survive, for minis it is self heals and some cc; the medium armor classes use higher evades (block, parry, evade or bpe) as their defense, your bpe is a lot higher than effective minis choose, and your dps and self heals are suffering due to low Will and Mastery.

For the triple 38k mobs, I first make sure that the normal level triple mobs are cleared out of the first zone, sometimes you need to wait for them to path back towards you before you pull them, make sure you don't pull them when when they're close to the 38k mobs or you'll get them all; flop if you do.

For the 38k mobs, fear one, start ballading one of the others, being careful not to use one of your aoe skills until the feared mob is out of range; start kiting backwards (use the S key to move) keeping the mobs in front of you so that more of your skills work, use your aoe skills at this point to burn down the second mob as much as possible. If you kite with your back to the mobs, fewer of you skills will work as you need to face the target for most of your skills to hit. Don't forget your bubble and Chord to heal yourself; you likely will not be able to stop moving and fight them, that is death.

You should be able to get 1 mob down, or close, before the 3rd mob runs back to you. Finish off your 1st target, decide if you can finish of the 2nd target (it's gotten aoe damage), if not, flop. If you flop you're now down to 2 mobs chained together, so wait for your CDs and do the same process again.

I run red line and War Speech and still haven't upgraded my LIs and most gear; I struggled my first time in there until I realized that fearing and flopping if things don't look good was the way to go.

I had my jeweler make me some Lvl 90 jewelry which is much more loaded with will, vitality and ctrical defense. Numbers have gone up but still need more will and vitality--about 2000 still. My B/P/E has gone down between 1000 to 2000 so perhaps it is now at good levels for a Minstrel. I will have my jeweler look into Craft Guild jewelry recipes, too. Will check in with my tailor on craft guild light armour, too.

Going to see about having some 1st Age Weapons made--problem is I have not done any 12-man raids so I can earn myself the Blemished Symbol of Elder King. I have never done any raids--we don't have enough players in our group. Very much out of my price range on the AH.

I learned the LOTRO Store sells Tomes of Will, Vitality, etc. I to VIII. I will get a few of those--a bit pricey, but I will have to do that to get those built up

I really appreciate all of your comments and ideas on how to move against the enemies, 3-38K groups, etc. I have not really had to use any of my fears, stuns, and play dead skills much so I forgot about them. I will be sure to use them now! I use the stun just in the normal process of killing enemies off but not just to stun anyone in particular. I guess all of this will make me a better minstrel! Thanks again. Everyone.

When I am done I will try to do a screen shot of my stats.

I learned the LOTRO Store sells Tomes of Will, Vitality, etc. I to VIII. I will get a few of those--a bit pricey, but I will have to do that to get those built up

I really appreciate all of your comments and ideas on how to move against the enemies, 3-38K groups, etc. I have not really had to use any of my fears, stuns, and play dead skills much so I forgot about them. I will be sure to use them now! I use the stun just in the normal process of killing enemies off but not just to stun anyone in particular. I guess all of this will make me a better minstrel! Thanks again. Everyone.
    Yup, use every cc and cooldown you have! They're there for a reason.
    Also, I would advise against getting the Store Tomes. They don't offer a big enough stat boost for the cost of TP, until you're absolutely swimming in TP. Saving it for account-wide unlocks like more storage or even saving it for Milestone/Return skill cooldown reductions are a better choice.
    105 Hunter, Lore Master, Beorning

Going to see about having some 1st Age Weapons made--problem is I have not done any 12-man raids so I can earn myself the Blemished Symbol of Elder King. I have never done any raids--we don't have enough players in our group. Very much out of my price range on the AH.
    A Second Age is a good weapon, it should more than meet your needs if you aren't doing the hardest content. A FA will have a slightly higher dps or heal rating, and a FA has more points to spend (which is the bigger appeal, imo), but you'll get a SA from finishing the epic and they will also be very cheap in AH, if you don't have someone gift you one outright.

BTW, what server are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Felisleo View Post
    But the God Send for dealing with the Six Statue Vandals is the Library Door.

Clear the entrance steps and any wandering trash mobs that might get in the way.

Then throw everything you have into killing just one Corsair, soon as his dead or if your not going to survive, duck back into the Library and safety.
    Great idea for squishies. I hope Stormrider39 saw this and will try it.

I wouldn't do this yet. Each one of those tomes only gets you +10 will, and they're expensive. Improving your equipment (even using very common equipment, but focusing on the right stats) will get you +1000 will.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

I did get a couple of the Tomes in the LOTRO Store; and you are correct, they don't give enough additional points to make it worth it. I had to see how much increase they gave for myself. Just 10 or 15 points a crack, so saving my TP's for other things.

I did see the Library door escape route suggestion! Great idea!

My Hunter is making me some jewelry from the Craft Guild that is Level 95 and gives much better Will, Vitality, and Critical Rating or was it Defense than the 90's he just made me. Problem is, he needs a Large Westemnet Craft symbol for each piece and there is a 6 day cool down to make more and he needs Emerald Shards which I never seem to get. My Level 81 Burglar has 2 and another fellowship friend of mine says he has some so I hope I can get some from him. How do you get them anyway? I sent the Burglar out to Aldberg to mine som Eorlingas ores hoping the emerald shards would be a bonus from that, but haven't gotten any yet.

Even though I am not completely up to parr yet, all of my increases are showing me great improvement in combat. Enemies are easier and quicker to kill. I am tempted to try the Library City Watch again! I think I will do that tonight to see what happens. Wish me luck!

I am on the Riddermark server and my Minstrel's name is Sandwen.

Nowadays you can buy emerald shards from the Crafting vendor in the skirmish camp.

Good luck!
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

Check the AH and GLFF for some inexpensive 95 or 100 teal jewelry with will as the main stat and vit as the second. Your other option is to run some epic battles and get the jewelry from there, which will always be class appropriate for you.

Oh, one thing that didn't get mentioned, the daily training quests other than Library don't have chained 38k mobs, so they are easier. If you don't think you're ready to take on Library quite yet, do the other area rather than not do anything.

I will warn you that once you decide to do any area and see the pop up text "Completed...", that is it for the day, no changing your mind, no leaving instance to do something else and coming back later.

I will check the Skirm crafting vendor for the emerald shards. I did check the AH for jewelry and there really wasn't anything available when I looked yesterday. What is GLFF? I will check it once I know what it is!

I do have enough rep for some of the other City watch quests now. I did not attempt them because they came after the Library so I assumed they would be as difficult for me if not more so. Now that I know this, I will try them out.

Thanks!