We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lvl 100 and U14 - To craft or not to craft

Good day all,

I've got mats required to craft myself a lvl 100 FA, but have held off on construction due to my uncertainty over what the future holds in store for LIs.

Should I craft this FA now? Will the "imbuing" feature when introduced apply to this item, or will it apply only to items crafted after the "imbuing" feature has already been introduced during a future update?

... or have I missed something, and the imbuing feature has already been introduced? :P
    Empirius, Hunter
    Empirium, Lore-Master
    Gladden server

Good questions. I don't think anybody really knows yet (not even the folks at Turbine, who I suspect have not worked out a lot of the fine details of the brave new world of imbued LIs).

I'd normally wait to see for something like this, but I also think we're a couple months away from seeing it implemented. Do you really need a FA item at this time?

It's highly unlikely they'll introduce the ability but not have it apply to all the players who have made their level 100 items. By the time the feature comes out (slated for "by end of the year") only people without level cap characters won't have 100 items. If they implemented it in the way conjectured, nobody would be able to take advantage of the feature!

Feel free to make your item, rest assured if Turbine implements the feature but restricts it from everyone, there would be such an outcry the circumstance would be revised.

(Yes, of course FA items are needed now, all the T2 instances and raids favor those abilities.)
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by RJFerret View Post
    It's highly unlikely they'll introduce the ability but not have it apply to all the players who have made their level 100 items. By the time the feature comes out (slated for "by end of the year") only people without level cap characters won't have 100 items. If they implemented it in the way conjectured, nobody would be able to take advantage of the feature!

Feel free to make your item, rest assured if Turbine implements the feature but restricts it from everyone, there would be such an outcry the circumstance would be revised.

(Yes, of course FA items are needed now, all the T2 instances and raids favor those abilities.)
    My brother and I talk about this all the time – Whether to make a lvl 100FA or keep the 95FA.

The issue is that my lvl 95 was 100% maxed out. 3 crystals, and all of the tiers were maxed due to the cheap scroll costs (Marks / Meds).
    Its Perfect for a champ… Then Bam lvl 100 comes out.

So I acquire 3 symbols via OD runs, and I choose to have a FA 1 hand Champ Sword made for me.
    And its Awesome. The DPS is greater – Even though I only have 1 crystal to spend on it.

I’m THRILLED until I go to the skirm camp to spend Marks and I see the cost of the scrolls.. WOW. I spend 40K Marks in an instant, and I’m not done with the sword. Not ½ way done. However the DPS is like 20 DPS more… and it’s a shiny new sword so I am invested in it. I am going to finish it this weekend, buy the 2 remaining crystals that I need, and begin using it as soon as I can.

HOWEVER, I do not think that I will make a new champ rune – simply because I can’t afford another 50K marks to buff it out, and then have any left for my other lvl 100 Toon. That’s the issue – the cost of the scrolls at 5K marks per is waaay to damn high.

I had earned my way back to 110K marks, AFTER creating 4 lvl 95 1st agers 4 months ago. My brother is sitting on 200K marks… but he doesn’t wish to spend them on a sword that he feels is only going to be marginally better…….

I don’t agree with him.. After all what am I saving the marks for????? I earn them running instances and skirms to do JUST THIS – get better weapon.

However – MAN would it be wonderful not to have to spend 60K marks EVERY TIME there is a level cap increase…….

Its painful.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/13213000000110329/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by 14.1 release notes
    The cost of all rewards and skirmish traits have been lowered between 20%-50%. Generally. The highest level rewards and traits have seen the greatest cost reduction
    Hopefully that means Anfalas Empowerments 50%. If so, they'd still be 3x the cost that the 95s were, but that beats being 5x the cost.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Hopefully that means Anfalas Empowerments 50%. If so, they'd still be 3x the cost that the 95s were, but that beats being 5x the cost.
    Long term the cost becomes less important if these truly become weapons we can level with us.

where is 20 more dps..??? Can you throw screenie pls

An Official Reply Please

Speaking for myself,
    I'd really appreciate an official reply to this inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by nailspine View Post
    Good day all,

I've got mats required to craft myself a lvl 100 FA, but have held off on construction due to my uncertainty over what the future holds in store for LIs.

Should I craft this FA now? Will the "imbuing" feature when introduced apply to this item, or will it apply only to items crafted after the "imbuing" feature has already been introduced during a future update?

... or have I missed something, and the imbuing feature has already been introduced? :P

The thought of spending 4 years of Marks and Meds to craft a truly impressive LI only to be informed the "Imbuing" option will not be available to existing LI's is somewhat disconcerting to say the least.

Personally I will not be making any first age weapons until imbued first ages are in the game. Better safe than sorry since we know so little about them.
    You gotta chill to take it to the next level.

In as polite a way i can think of to respond, i think this is naive. The primary reason i left LOTRO two years ago was b/c every few months they changed the LI weapons and armor. As soon as you got done grinding for three months, you found out everything was now going to be obsolete. So...you did it again. And again. And again.

My prediction is that there will be totally new weapons with a radically new system that require you to start from scratch and build them, in a manner similar to the new "essence armor".

Turbine's hope is that you will spend real $$$ to buy scrolls from their store to upgrade your weapons.
    It's the nature of the beast, as it were.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000011d9cf/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Afuna View Post
    In as polite a way i can think of to respond, i think this is naive. The primary reason i left LOTRO two years ago was b/c every few months they changed the LI weapons and armor. As soon as you got done grinding for three months, you found out everything was now going to be obsolete. So...you did it again. And again. And again.

My prediction is that there will be totally new weapons with a radically new system that require you to start from scratch and build them, in a manner similar to the new "essence armor".

Turbine's hope is that you will spend real $$$ to buy scrolls from their store to upgrade your weapons.
    It's the nature of the beast, as it were.
    Sadly, I have to say I agree with this. I have 2 FA symbols sitting in my house chest and I don't want to waste them if imbuing isn't retroactive to current level 100 LI's.
    solien
    armor-plated since SoA alpha 3
    arkenstone: roxxi manor

To the OP

Just wanted to throw this out, since I don't remember seeing any mention of it so far in this thread, but to answer the OP's original question....

"Second, we’re adding a new system of advancement to your legendary item. At level 100, you’ll be able to take a legendary item and specify it as “imbued”, locking in its current legacies and abilities. From this moment forward the item will earn experience (even through future level caps) but not require you to deconstruct it to attain a new item. Our goal is to take the early promise of an item that “grows with you” and fulfill that."

Based off that, which is taken verbatim from the letter from Aaron "Rowan", the way it sounds is that once you hit level 100 you can choose your LI that you wish to have imbued. Therefore, as stated, go ahead and craft your FA and once this feature comes out you'll be able to imbue it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinadran View Post
    Just wanted to throw this out, since I don't remember seeing any mention of it so far in this thread, but to answer the OP's original question....

"Second, we’re adding a new system of advancement to your legendary item. At level 100, you’ll be able to take a legendary item and specify it as “imbued”, locking in its current legacies and abilities. From this moment forward the item will earn experience (even through future level caps) but not require you to deconstruct it to attain a new item. Our goal is to take the early promise of an item that “grows with you” and fulfill that."

Based off that, which is taken verbatim from the letter from Aaron "Rowan", the way it sounds is that once you hit level 100 you can choose your LI that you wish to have imbued. Therefore, as stated, go ahead and craft your FA and once this feature comes out you'll be able to imbue it.
    nowhere in the statement does turbine say we will be able to use Pre-Existing weapons for the imbued system. I wouldn't put it past them to come up with a new Imbued symbol of the Elder King. as for me i am holding off using my 1st age symbol until the new system is implemented. If it is not the symbol required for an imbued weapon i will just craft a weapon and give it to someone who doesn't want to do the grind for the new system. And there will be a grind for it, of that i have no doubt.
    Last edited by KM3161; Sep 29 2014 at 02:08 AM.

Sindarin, while I agree that your interpretation of "imbued LI's" is going to be the most common assumption among the players, there may be technical aspects to making the system work within the game code that might force Turbine to implement the system in a different way.

I'm personally hoping that your interpretation is the one that will actually go into the game, but I'm not assuming that it will happen that way.

I don't raid enough to feel that I "need" a 1st Age LI, 2nd Age is good enough for me, and provided I'm prepared to grind for the tokens I can get more 2nd Age symbols, but if I had my heart set on a 1st Age LI I'd be cautious about using level 100 1st Age symbols until more concrete info on how "imbuing" will work becomes available.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

I've crafted all six of the 1st age level 100 LI's that I needed. And it has cost me an enormous amount of effort and resources to build them.
    I did this based on the assumption that Turbine would allow us to imbue our LI's at a later date, because not allowing us to do this (and having to start all over again) would be so incredibly unpopular that they surely wouldn't dare.
    Or would they I wonder?? ....

There's no level raise in sight yet, so even if you won't be able to imbue the lvl100 FAs you have now, you will still be able to make good use of them for a long time to come.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921e0000002b5d08/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I'm waiting until we hear specifics to even care about LIs. An imbued item will not be able to be changed at all, so the next time they tweak skills or legacies, we won't be able to do anything about it except make a new weapon, it sounds like.

Heck, I'll probably wait until they release new raid content to bother with a 1st age. Not a BB fan, and am not at all interested in running scaled old content.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

In regard to your class item:
    If you already have a maxed lvl95 1st age champions rune, there is hardly a need to replace it with a lvl100 1st age.
    The lower the age, the more points you can spend on legacies. The higher the level, the better certain legacies perform, as well allowing you to use higher-tiered relics.
    But since many champion legacies are percentage-related, the actual level of the class item isnt that relevant when the difference is so small.
    The total difference in performance would be rather miniscule, and only to be considered when you have optimized everything else.
    It probably would be more efficient to craft two weapons and place different legacies on them for singletarget / aoe or tanking..
    So I would go for a new rune in about 10 or 20 levels when you have enough spare marks/meds/seals plus a surplus symbol (or the imbue-mechanisms are known and useful).

I never understood that "waiting game". Its a nature of MMOs to change and try to retain attention of players with a hamster wheel of getting new gear. So how long do some of you plan to wait? Until the game dies? That is the only guaranteed way to make all your gear permanent and never require of you to grind for a new one.
    I play the game now and I want to make my character as best as possible now. Not because I want to show off but because the character improvement is the big part of the game for me. I dont hoard marks, meds, essences, scrolls, symbols. I spend them as I go. If I play the game I get more of them. If I sit and wait, what is the point of having anything anyway?

If I would know for sure and in detail there would be big changes making all my gear obsolete in next 2 weeks, then I might wait. But hoard stuff for months and wait...... for what exactly?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000ae313/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by CroKat View Post
    I never understood that "waiting game". Its a nature of MMOs to change and try to retain attention of players with a hamster wheel of getting new gear. So how long do some of you plan to wait? Until the game dies? That is the only guaranteed way to make all your gear permanent and never require of you to grind for a new one.
    I play the game now and I want to make my character as best as possible now. Not because I want to show off but because the character improvement is the big part of the game for me. I dont hoard marks, meds, essences, scrolls, symbols. I spend them as I go. If I play the game I get more of them. If I sit and wait, what is the point of having anything anyway?

If I would know for sure and in detail there would be big changes making all my gear obsolete in next 2 weeks, then I might wait. But hoard stuff for months and wait...... for what exactly?
    Yours is more of a philosophical approach. The reality is that the difference between two LI tiers isn't all that big. And there aren't many reasons to min max in this game. Most people don't min max.

I have a 95 SA hunter melee weapon that's fully maxed out with every possible upgrade. Why would I go through all that for a 100 FA again? I will hardly notice a difference. But if that 100 FA is going to turn into 120 FA eventually, I might just get it now, instead of waiting till 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Geldeger
    I have a 95 SA hunter melee weapon...
    Pfft what a fail!

Just kidding, I'm using a 85 hunter sword with blemished FAs sitting in the vault. Thank you, Turbine, for giving me another half a year to craft them!

From Rowan today:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post

The general plan with legendary items is that you can advance and imbue your existing items. The original plan was that you could only imbue an item that was at level cap (100) and fully leveled. Hoarse may have pulled back on that (to make it less restrictive), but we fully intend to make your existing LIs imbueable. I think I just invented a word.