We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 45 of 45

Thread: The Salmon Run

  1. #26
    So far on today's try, 9 weeds and 3 fish. WHAT? It is pretty clear the fish dailies are not very popular at all (listen to some of what is said on World channel) and fishing level should be irrelevant as fishing is a hobby and there should be no variable assigned for success on something elective for a quest which is not for a deed. So why are the weeds allowed as any variable in this? Of course this will be fixed in some future update when everyone has moved to other areas or just elsewhere which does not help community morale. Can it please be fixed sooner though?
    Thank you

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,097
    today i finally reached lvl100, and these fishing quests were the first I did..

    OMG.. have to exercise some restrain here..

    rasperry award, so much you could make marmelade of it..
    Especially the bait ball.

    For all fishing quests:
    please remove 'special' spots.
    please remove any other possible catches while on a quest in the designated quest area..
    please allow me to pick up more than one worm at a time (even noob fishermen do that, you know).

    Staring at the screen while waiting for something to twitch is something I really only do when waiting on a group to form, and I have nothing to do, like waiting for the moria-turtle group, and fishing in yucky turtle water standing knee high. But as part of a grind? no thanks..
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000020d796/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by imrebroce View Post
    Welcome to the New Lotro, where you are forced to do RP activities to get endgame armor sets...makes sense.
    MMORPG, everything you do in it is an RP activity.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,016
    I really love these fishing quests.

    They might be annoying to someone when doing the first time. But once you understand, how they work, it's just fun.


    I like doing it like the salmons, swim up the waterfall.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Amrundir View Post
    I really love these fishing quests.

    They might be annoying to someone when doing the first time. But once you understand, how they work, it's just fun.


    I like doing it like the salmons, swim up the waterfall.
    I hate these fishing quests. And yes, it is annoying when you are searching disturbed water for half an hour. And now I understand how they work and will never do them again.

  6. #31
    My addition to the complaints here is the moment when you have what you believe just might be that third bait fish for the fish ball quest. You are just putting the fish into your basket when the timer expires and , magically, you find that the fish has transformed into a goldfish. You have failed the quest again and decide that the retry is not worth the effort. I enjoy fishing, but these quests could have been (or could be) better. After getting to the ocean in this expansion, it would seem a great idea to have salt-water fishing as a great new aspect of fishing.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebster View Post
    Apparently, as soon as you get the message that the fish are balling u have to fish on the spot instantly (there's no indication that they are balling) and never leave the spot until you get the 3 fish.
    oooooooooooooooooh......... !!!!!!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Shire, Canada
    Posts
    894
    OK the Salmon Run is just sadistic...

    For the love of God make ONLY salmon appear in the highlighted areas...

    This is not an (expletive) hobby but an (expletive) quest we are doing here.

    I was just fishing for ~15 minutes in the middle of the highlighted zone and caught zero salmon.

    2 goldfish, 7 minnows, 6 char, 2 bitterling, 7 weeds, one rusty dagger... give me an (expletive) break!

    It is now twice I've cancelled this quest... FIX IT...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,177
    I hate all the fishing quests. Bait Ball is the worst, but Salmon runs a close second. I wouldn't mind seeing fishing deleted from middle earth. I understand fish can carry toxins they've absorbed in the water anyway, and we all know the orc filth has polluted the entire water shed. Hate those quests....
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    I hate all the fishing quests. Bait Ball is the worst, but Salmon runs a close second. I wouldn't mind seeing fishing deleted from middle earth. I understand fish can carry toxins they've absorbed in the water anyway, and we all know the orc filth has polluted the entire water shed. Hate those quests....
    I couldn't agree more!! and I'm sure this guy isn't too crazy about it either, when he goes belly-up I'm done drinking the water


  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    39

    Cool Some Salmon Salvation...

    The Salmon Run has some mechanics, that while not great, are not as bad as at first they seem. I was able to clear the 8 Lamedon Salmon in about 10 minutes using this simple method (once I figured out what I was actually doing.)

    First, go to the western drop zone for the quest (south of Dinadab, southeast of the bandit encampment.) Then, go as far up-river as possible, to near the base of the waterfalls. Along this stretch of river, there are maybe three places where a 'disturbed water' area appears - it looks like a 6ft wide (in game world size) area where lots of rain drops are falling, and occasionally there are pairs of fish jumping in it. That is the spot to fish. Cast there, and you will maybe get a Lame Salmon about 1/3 the time. I averaged about 3 casts per location before they fade away. However, if you can get to a spot just as it forms you can maybe get five casts.

    Once that spot goes away, run up and down the river section looking for the next spot. There are typically three places it forms: base of waterfall, about 1/4 the way down river section from the falls, and then about 1/2 way down river section from the falls. All three produce Lame salmon. The best part is you don't need to 'hit' the spot; you can fish near it (up to maybe 8 game feet away) and it will still count towards quest completions.

    By the way, from the top of the next waterfall down-river, you can see the pair of fish jumping in any spawn spot below that falls, before wasting a trip jumping down to that part of the river. If you don't see tiny paired jumping fish, there's no spawn spot down there.

    Not the best fishing quest by far, but way better than the horribly-designed "bait ball". The least that the dev could do was actually put in some kind of visual - borrow the one from The Salmon Run if you have to, but at least make coherent if not any simpler.

    They're biting - you just gotta find where they're biting.
    "Boromir, Oh Boromir! What did she say to you, the Lady that dies not?"

    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000048959/signature.png]Faramrond[/charsig]

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Shire, Canada
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Faramir68 View Post
    The Salmon Run has some mechanics, that while not great, are not as bad as at first they seem. I was able to clear the 8 Lamedon Salmon in about 10 minutes using this simple method (once I figured out what I was actually doing.)

    First, go to the western drop zone for the quest (south of Dinadab, southeast of the bandit encampment.) Then, go as far up-river as possible, to near the base of the waterfalls. Along this stretch of river, there are maybe three places where a 'disturbed water' area appears - it looks like a 6ft wide (in game world size) area where lots of rain drops are falling, and occasionally there are pairs of fish jumping in it. That is the spot to fish. Cast there, and you will maybe get a Lame Salmon about 1/3 the time. I averaged about 3 casts per location before they fade away. However, if you can get to a spot just as it forms you can maybe get five casts.

    Once that spot goes away, run up and down the river section looking for the next spot. There are typically three places it forms: base of waterfall, about 1/4 the way down river section from the falls, and then about 1/2 way down river section from the falls. All three produce Lame salmon. The best part is you don't need to 'hit' the spot; you can fish near it (up to maybe 8 game feet away) and it will still count towards quest completions.

    By the way, from the top of the next waterfall down-river, you can see the pair of fish jumping in any spawn spot below that falls, before wasting a trip jumping down to that part of the river. If you don't see tiny paired jumping fish, there's no spawn spot down there.

    Not the best fishing quest by far, but way better than the horribly-designed "bait ball". The least that the dev could do was actually put in some kind of visual - borrow the one from The Salmon Run if you have to, but at least make coherent if not any simpler.

    They're biting - you just gotta find where they're biting.
    *bows* Thank you Faramir68.

    I was able to find the proper spot and complete the quest.
    I did note the quest wording and went up and down both fishing areas but never saw anything "unique" so I just considered the whole highlighted area as the proper zone.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,950
    I've done these and they're perfect :P fishing quests, right down to the random frustration. Bait Ball? Have your angling implements equipped. Have the fish icon quickslotted. Move it around to a hotkey if desired. Have your weapons/shield slotted, too; just in case. Approach the water and when the flytext pops up, fish. That said, another 30 to 45 seconds to the timer would not hurt.

    Salmon run, yeah just like a real run. Go to the waterfalls on either river. The one to the north of Calembel is more frustrating. I've only found one spot that forms there and I ran up and down in the highlighted area in the palantir. The river to the west is best. There are three spots there, but company on the river makes for more 'fun-filled' fishing, again just like real life :P.

    My main earned a title with these (Journeyman Angler, I think), so I had more than 1/200 but less than 80/200 skill and I'm using a Lebethron fishing-pole.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  14. #39
    This quest saps the fun out of the game's only hobby, and is just downright obnoxious.

    I hear bait ball isn't much better, but considering how tedious fishing is, I haven't bothered doing any other docks quests.

    Not fun = won't do.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    335
    I just stopped doing the timed fishing ones all together, its one of the stupidest ideals the dev. have ever come up with its just made purely to waste time, so my advice is stop doing them and keep posting in the forums and maybe some one will fire the dev. that came up with these stupid quest...

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    345
    I did all of them for all of my nine toons.
    With some of them I actually did them more than once.

    For the life of me I can't remember why I did that.
    Maybe just for the heck of it?
    Or maybe I'm masochistic?!? Who knows?!?

    I did this until I got enough dock marks for three toons to boost their rep to known with rep boosters from the skirm vendor.

    After that I just sent my three toons with full rep down to the docks in the training exercise.
    Whatever I got in docks marks from the training exercise were dumped in my shared vault.

    Whenever the next toon was through with rep they were added to the daily rota of docks training.
    After less than two weeks I had all my toons through with docks rep. And I had done all the docks quests about 12-15 times only to finish the rep for all my toons.

    After that I said good-bye to the docks quest until the turtle quests was fixed.
    As soon as that was fixed again I finished that sorry excuse for a quest and waved a final good-bye to fishing in West-Gondor.

    But just reading about this dev-made randomized disaster makes my blood boil again.
    Can't even remember when I was so enraged by ANY game that I literally ranted and screamed at my screen.
    But these quests actually did that for me.

    Heck, maybe Turbine got a good sponsorship from a cardiac clinic somewhere.
    And they needed to fulfill their contract.
    Boy, did they succeed!

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    642
    The daily fishing quests are the single most annoying feature of Dol Amroth. Now, in case the devs don't know it, "disturbed water" means water such as at the base of a waterfall or fast moving water, not a randomly appearing eddy that lasts a minute. Bait Ball is frustrating for its time restraint and for the fact that you will likely get weeds, not the desired fish. Turtles are kind of fun, except for the speed at which they move....usually right for me. I hate fishing and I hate to be forced to do these ridiculous quests in order to get a piece of armor. So, I think I will pass on that one piece.

  18. Unhappy

    The Salmon Run is OK. Yes, it's annoying but once you figure out how it works it just takes a while to complete it. On the other hand, I am today officially nominating The Bait Ball as the stupidest quest in LotRO. You can do everything perfectly and still fail to complete the quest. Not only does the RNG determine my quest reward, but in this case it determines whether I even can complete the quest. I'm now on my fifth try today. LotRO should be fun...and not dependent on random luck. I'm going to go so far as to say if there is any similar quest in the next update, I'm done with this game. That's how stupid this quest is and how deeply I feel about the RNG taking over the game!

  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by tombair View Post
    The Salmon Run is OK. Yes, it's annoying but once you figure out how it works it just takes a while to complete it. On the other hand, I am today officially nominating The Bait Ball as the stupidest quest in LotRO. You can do everything perfectly and still fail to complete the quest. Not only does the RNG determine my quest reward, but in this case it determines whether I even can complete the quest. I'm now on my fifth try today. LotRO should be fun...and not dependent on random luck. I'm going to go so far as to say if there is any similar quest in the next update, I'm done with this game. That's how stupid this quest is and how deeply I feel about the RNG taking over the game!
    QFT. Welcome to Lottero, or Random Numbers in Middle-Earth.

  20. #45
    [QUOTE=CRUSHUC;7205468]OMG yes, the bait ball is horrible - it can take up to 30sec to find the spot, then if you catch anything but a fish, it's auto fail as there will not be enough time to catch 3 fish. This one is all about luck on location from the timer start point. Failed this numerous times because I would always get a location the farthest away and catch weeds on the first cast.

    I agree, this quest is horrible and obviously never tested.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload